Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,066 posts
  • 199 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by nsduprr
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240401_142414 (resized).jpg
    unnamed (resized).jpg
    20240404_152452 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_8107661_2 (resized).jpg
    20240403_103813 (resized).jpg
    20240401_132353 (resized).jpg
    20240401_132033 (resized).jpg
    20240401_132028 (resized).jpg
    20240401_132018 (resized).jpg
    20240401_132013 (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png
    DSC_6404a (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240314_004005891 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240314_004931513 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240314_004658191 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240309_005640555 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider latecenturymods.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#231 6 years ago

I'm thinking more like $1000-$1500. For $2500 I would expect it to be fully shopped, cleaned, and come with everything.

4 months later
    #338 5 years ago

I don't think Skee-Ball ever published the Model H manual online. However, see picture attached. The mechanism should always allow exactly 9 balls to roll down while the solenoid is on. See if the rocker arm is jamming or scraping on the front dog.

You can remove the front dog entirely, but people could reach in and push the rocker arm down by hand, and then the next game won't have 9 balls.

Skee_Ball_Ball_Release (resized).jpgSkee_Ball_Ball_Release (resized).jpg

5 months later
    #390 5 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

Hey guys I have a Model S Skee Ball that keeps popping the F-1 fuse. I was trying to wire up a credit switch when the green and red wires on the old coin mech wire harness touched each other when the game was on. Checked the fuse and replaced it, however when you plug it in, the fuse pops. The display doesn't light up but the three flashers at the top stay steadily lit. Obviously when the wires touched it shorted something out on the board but any ideas where to start? I did check the the other two fuses on the board and they are ok, the 1 and 2 amp ones. Its the 10 amp fuse that is blowing.

The AGC10 fuse protects the 12 volt supply. It's still shorted somewhere -- check the harnesses for the coin door and ticket dispenser first; the logic board and display also get 12 volts but damaged harnesses in the front of the game are much more likely.

#394 5 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

I actually isolated just the board and the display and the resistor next to the big capacitor gets very hot

Is that the 10ohm 15W resistor on the power supply? Check the small bridge rectifier (4 pins in a row). It does fail now and again and may take out the 7805 also.

#408 5 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

can anyone take a picture of how their rocker style linkage is hooked up. Mainly the rod that runs from the actuator to the linkage?

This may help:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shuffleballskee-club-join-us/page/7#post-4391929

#409 5 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

It says 5 ohms on it and memcore on the bottom.. I tried looking up a replacement but can't find anything that is 5 ohms. See picture for the resistor in question.
    [quoted image]

Oh, OK. You have the L-shaped SBC-1 controller, it looks like. This guy has the manual (and one of the photos you were asking for): http://www.rustykey.com/projects/skeeball/default.html

The resistor is in series with the 7805 and it's supposed to get hot. So long as no AC is getting through the bridge rectifier to the resistor and voltage regulator, and assuming the 5 volts measures OK, then it should be fine.

If you find the +12V missing, the 7812 is a common failure.

1 week later
    #413 5 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

When I test the 12 volt test spot on the board, it shows nothing. Not sure if this is normal or not.

That is not normal. 12 volts is required for the displays, and it should always be available.

#417 5 years ago

Excellent!

2 months later
    #430 5 years ago

Center hole - could be for beacon light / police light. Not every arcade uses them, especially if the games are shoved into an alcove with a low ceiling.

5 months later
    #442 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcuzz:

...still have to figure out how to get it onto free play because the coin Mechs are gone.

Pretty sure there is no free play mode because there is no Start button - especially this model, which has a time limit so it would be constantly restarting a game while waiting for a player to show up.

#444 4 years ago

"12", black (ground), and "signal" - are those in the coin door area?

If so you should be able to coin it up by briefly touching the exposed part of the white Signal wire to the black Ground. Keep the 12V wire away from touching the others or exposed metal. I'd throw some masking tape over it for now.

1 month later
    #465 4 years ago
    Quoted from demaximis:

...Model S Skee Ball machines ... yellow plastic rails ...

Just an idea ... I haven't tried it, but I wonder if wire duct cover would do to get started? Example: http://www.automationdirect.com/pn/COV-60W-1

2 months later
    #499 4 years ago

The funnel is absolutely necessary. I for one would not pay that price for those parts though.

1 month later
    #541 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Any of you who want to order a new cork bed for their Skeeball

Is that the OEM?

3 months later
    #566 3 years ago
    Quoted from Slips:

Only one I have right now. He lives right by me and I might go see it tomorrow.
    [quoted image]

Looks like Skee-Ball Model H or thereabouts. I'd say it is worth it also.

#568 3 years ago
    Quoted from dawgs:

My custom painted Skee Ball lightning. When we have guests this gets played more than anything else. Go Dawgs!

Seriously looks better than it ever did in the arcade. Nice work.

8 months later
    #633 3 years ago
    Quoted from joelt1:

Anyone have a coin door for a Skee Ball S for sale? also correct wire hook up info for the ball count switch(three wires, red. black, white??) not sure which post they connect to micro switch, thanks

* Pin 1 -- WHITE -- Switch N.C.
    * Pin 1 -- RED -- Switch COM
    * Pin 1 -- BLACK -- Switch N.O.

9 months later
    #721 2 years ago

The actuator can be replaced with music wire - check the diameter with calipers. You can get several feet for under $10 at Hobby Lobby or any hobby store. The hard part, by far, is bending the wire into the shape needed to retain it on the switch.

11 months later
    #834 1 year ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

Vintage Waxola playfield wax - before silicone was invented. 1957. Back when they used cornstarch and wax.
    [quoted image]

That belongs here too:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-rareprototype-pinball-stuff/

1 month later
    #899 1 year ago
    Quoted from lint:

RE: Rivet Replacement for Rings.
    My ACE had these Binding Posts that are nearly perfect for this repair...

Good old Chicago screws, or sex bolts if you prefer. The ones I've bought at Ace have one smooth featureless side which looks good. A little Loc-tite and you're good to go for decades.

4 months later
    #933 10 months ago
    Quoted from TonyP66:

Changed out my batteries in my gold mine and seem to have lost the setting for free play. Anyone have a reference for the settings?

Adj 19 = 0 for custom pricing, Adj 23 = 0 for minimum coin-units for 1 credit. Pretty sure that's all.

4 months later
    #968 6 months ago
    Quoted from PhCor6:

I don't know if it has rollover switches, supposedly it was taken apart to rewire the machine haven't picked it up yet.
    I just want to make sure all is there before I get to involved in this project.

I think I see a coin chute, and I am guessing that the chute both resets the score (couple of wires) and releases the balls. If so, you should be good. What you have there looks like enough to score the game. (Or set it afire, at least until the wiring is all replaced.)

1 month later
    #974 4 months ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

anyone have model h or S parts?
    Best way to clean the alley and white rings?

Search this thread for the parts you need. There are various sources.

409 spray (or maybe Simple Green?) and a scrub brush, or the hard green side of a kitchen sponge.

3 weeks later
    #988 3 months ago

Saw this thread on Reddit... anyone got a manual or have experience with Superball brand skee games?

https://old.reddit.com/r/cade/comments/18f7w4u/superball_skee_ball_help/

1 month later
    #1004 82 days ago
    Quoted from lint:

Hi all, finally assembling a 10ft Model S I have had for a while

The stray 2-pin connector by the board plugs in next to the big ol' orange capacitor and the blue volume control. That's the speaker.

The 3-pin connector that someone stuck a black fuse holder on is your ball release solenoid cable. Pay special attention to where that goes, since it's AC voltage while the other 3-pin cables are not.

Above that on your board is a 2-pin connector that goes to the top-of-cabinet flasher.

3 weeks later
    #1006 61 days ago
    Quoted from lint:

one issue, the ball release solenoid is not pulling in when a new game is started

Wouldn't hurt to check for 120V across J2 pins 1 and 2 when starting a game. Do this with the solenoid connected just to verify that the board is giving you the 120V. It's only for about 1-2 seconds so set your voltmeter to a 3-digit or higher range so it responds quickly.

Very likely you will see nothing and you have a blown TRIAC or its little opto friend, but check the other components too; whoever added a fuse to a solenoid circuit that already has a fuse is not dealing with the chronic root problem. U11 drives the optoisolator, if it comes to that.

If the fuse blows intermittently it's a mechanical issue, something holding the solenoid back. Just like Atari Hercules.

triacs (resized).pngtriacs (resized).png

#1009 59 days ago

The MOC3030 is the optoisolator, separating the low voltage side from the high.

With one test probe jammed in next to P2 pin 2 touch both ends of R34 and R35; you should find 120VAC at all four points. If not, see if there are burned traces on the board that are preventing the connector from getting 120V neutral or the resistors and TRIAC 120V hot. If those four points do have power, start by replacing the SC146D with another TRIAC rated at least 10A and 400V.

Either way you'll unplug the game next and have the board out, and you can check for grainy or broken solder connections or burned up traces.

1 week later
    #1017 47 days ago
    Quoted from lint:

Now to find the value.
    [quoted image]

One-half amp slow blow 250V, should be a MDL-1/2 or similar glass fuse. Ceramic is fine, too.

1 week later
    #1027 37 days ago
    Quoted from lint:

I think I figured out the issue. The linkage is very worn with lots of play. testing with it upside down gave it the appearance that it is actuating properly. If I flip it into it's operating position you can feel the worn linkage bind up and not want to actuate.
    I have a new solenoid on the way.

I think you've got it. If it jams and the solenoid can't pull in all the way, it pulls 8-10x the current and blows the fuse. That mechanism looks brand new though, so please post damage/wear pics when you get a chance. They greatly simplified it so it wouldn't jam as easily and I'm curious what went wrong.

#1029 36 days ago

I am guessing their only goal on the positioning holes is to offer a 6- or 9-ball drop, so the location of the solenoid should physically hold back any additional balls beyond that number (up to 3 more).

When you said the mechanism had excessive play, I was imagining you'd be removing the clevis pin and taking the lever apart to see what is wobbly. I don't think there's anything about the wood that could cause a problem unless you are hearing a collision between the lever and something else. It should just drop down and stop the balls, nothing more.

2 weeks later
    #1041 18 days ago
    Quoted from lint:

Springs are factory and seem fine. Not too strong, not too loose. New I went ahead and checked the components in this part of the circuit. Out of circuit both R40 and R39 test fine as does C15. Triac was giving me odd reading so replaced it with a new one which had stable ohm and continuity readings. Buttoned it all back up, got three games in and fuse blew again. Might be time to take this board to a professional. Not sure if the MOC3030 would be bringing the issue.
    [quoted image]

I wish I were closer. The MOC3030, if bad, would be inconsistently switching the triac. Not impossible, but doubtful. Any way you could get a video of the mechanism to me? If the plunger doesn't physically make it all the way into the solenoid current draw will be high. Trying loosening the solenoid from the plate, starting a game with the solenoid in its usual position in the game, and tightening it while it is still actuated. This may take care of misalignment issues.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider latecenturymods.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shuffleballskee-club-join-us?tu=latecenturymods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.