Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,066 posts
  • 199 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by nsduprr
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240401_142414 (resized).jpg
    unnamed (resized).jpg
    20240404_152452 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_8107661_2 (resized).jpg
    20240403_103813 (resized).jpg
    20240401_132353 (resized).jpg
    20240401_132033 (resized).jpg
    20240401_132028 (resized).jpg
    20240401_132018 (resized).jpg
    20240401_132013 (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png
    DSC_6404a (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240314_004005891 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240314_004931513 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240314_004658191 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240309_005640555 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatality83.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#389 5 years ago

Hey guys I have a Model S Skee Ball that keeps popping the F-1 fuse. I was trying to wire up a credit switch when the green and red wires on the old coin mech wire harness touched each other when the game was on. Checked the fuse and replaced it, however when you plug it in, the fuse pops. The display doesn't light up but the three flashers at the top stay steadily lit. Obviously when the wires touched it shorted something out on the board but any ideas where to start? I did check the the other two fuses on the board and they are ok, the 1 and 2 amp ones. Its the 10 amp fuse that is blowing.

#392 5 years ago
    Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

The AGC10 fuse protects the 12 volt supply. It's still shorted somewhere -- check the harnesses for the coin door and ticket dispenser first; the logic board and display also get 12 volts but damaged harnesses in the front of the game are much more likely.

I actually isolated just the board and the display and the resistor next to the big capacitor gets very hot

#404 5 years ago

Is that the 10ohm 15W resistor on the power supply? Check the small bridge rectifier (4 pins in a row). It does fail now and again and may take out the 7805 also.

It says 5 ohms on it and memcore on the bottom.. I tried looking up a replacement but can't find anything that is 5 ohms. See picture for the resistor in question.

Yup (resized).jpgYup (resized).jpg
    #405 5 years ago

can anyone take a picture of how their rocker style linkage is hooked up. Mainly the rod that runs from the actuator to the linkage?

#406 5 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

can anyone take a picture of how their rocker style linkage is hooked up. Mainly the rod that runs from the actuator to the linkage?

Also looking for pictures how they wired up their credit button, especially the wiring

#410 5 years ago

Thank you so much!!! This is a huge help. Looks like I am missing the solenoid control rod and end connector only. Shouldn't be hard to fabricate something to work.

As for the board issue, I have actually gotten it back to booting up. The resistor I mentioned tested ok, however it was a 5 ohm resistor when in fact there should be a 10 ohm in place, however that wasn't the issue. There was a bad diode near the 5 volt regulator that needed replaced. Once I replaced that, the game went back to booting right up. However something is still wrong. Only one LED on the board lights up, the other two don't light up. If I manually coin up the board with all the wiring disconnected to elimate any wiring causing the issue, the board resets. I am in email correspondence with a person that repairs these boards and worked for skee ball repairing the boards. I have tested the two triacs on the board with strange results, one triac shows ol between two legs but gives a reading when I reverse the test leads. The other triac gives reading between the two same legs regardless of which test lead is where so there may be an issue with one of the triac circuits or both. I have to go home later tonight and test 12 blocking diodes on the right side of the board.

When I test the 12 volt test spot on the board, it shows nothing. Not sure if this is normal or not. Maybe the 12 volts isn't supposed to get to that section on the board unless the game is coined up or started. All this electronic stuff is new and very confusing to me but I have been trying to learn what I can. Either way, I am one step closer to hopefully getting this resolved. Thanks again for the input, it will be very valuable to me in getting this thing working for the wife

1 week later
    #414 5 years ago

That is not normal. 12 volts is required for the displays, and it should always be available.

LateCenturyMods

Giving you an update.... I have been talking via email with someone who knows the model S boards well and suggested I look at a section of diodes on the board. I found one bad diode in this section of the board and replaced it. Game still does not coin up with the coin switch or free play button. If I remove the switch connector J-9 from the board and manually jump pins (from left to right) 2 & 5, it credits the game up, I hear the ball solenoid energize and it plays the start up tune and all 0's on the board stop rotating and stay constantly lit.

If I jump pins 3 & 4 with the J-9 connector removed, the score adds up 10 points each time the pins are jumped. I plugged J-9 back into the board while I was in the middle of a game to test the scoring switches. All switches register something however they appear to be giving strange values. For instance the bottom 10 point hole is registering 30 points, the 20 point hole is registering 40 points. I don't know the exact values the other ones are registering but I can check when I get home. The game appears to end after 9 balls are tossed up as the score stays lit solid and won't increase any if anymore balls are thrown. I did forget to mention I removed the ball rocker and linkage so basically the balls just rolls back down to the player all the time. I even tried thinking the game might not start without it seeing a ball activating the ball count switch but activating that switch and coining it up also did nothing.

So my issues now are, the game won't start with either the coin switch or the free play button. The only way to start a game is to jump those pins on the pcb like I said. Also the scoring switches appear to be giving out wrong values.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

#416 5 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Lack of coin up sounds like either a continuity problem between the connector and the switch or functionality of the switch itself. Maybe the wires have a cut; maybe the header or the pins are the issue?
    The scoring switches either give 10 points or 50 points (50 points only if you have 100 point holes). The ball hits multiple 10-point switches to accumulate the 10 through 50 scores. For example throw the ball trough the 40 hole and the ball routing channel behind the playfield sends it to trigger 10 point switches for the 40, 30, 20, and 10 holes to accumulate the 40 points. A throw through a 100 hole routes past a 50 switch then all 5 10-point switches to accumulate 100 points. Elegant in the simplicity.
    Sounds like your computer is capturing the "10 points" correctly when you use jumpers and with some of the 10 point switches, so check the switches themselves and their trigger arms. Perhaps the ball rolling by pushes the trigger arm to a point where the switch oscillates between contact and no-contact which causes multiple point reads. Given what you said - 10 hole scores 30 and 20 hole scores 40 - the 10 point switch for the 20 hole is fine but the 10 point switch for the 10 hole is problematic. It gets triggered when you hit the 10 and the 20 point hole, so it is messing up the scoring for both holes. It also gets triggered for a 30, 40, and 50 hit so in the current state you should see similar "overscoring" on those holes as well. If 50 scores 70 you only have the problem with the 10 hole's switch.
    -Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually got it up and running 100% last night. I had to trace the coin switch wiring to the board and found out that my game doesn't match what is shown in the model s wiring diagrams. Not sure wire but anyone, once I found what wires went to the coin switch at the board and traced them back to where they went, the game now starts with the free play button.

As for the scoring issue you also were correct. I noticed if i triggered the switches manually by hand that they would add up in increments of 10 but if the ball rolled through them it would give incorrect scoring. The problem was the switches that I replaced had longer contacts then the ones that were on there. When the ball rolled past, it would bend the metal arm back so far it would kinda catapult back and forth a few times registering points each time. Trimming the switch arm length and bending them to adjust them a little fixed this issue as well. They now all score 10 points like they should.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatality83.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shuffleballskee-club-join-us?tu=fatality83 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.