1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 385 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by Mr68
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 168 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    BOM (resized).png
    Before_Skee_Ball (resized).jpg
    After_Skee_Ball (resized).jpg
    20180916_070931 (resized).jpg
    20180916_070803 (resized).jpg
    20180915_185702 (resized).jpg
    20180915_161343 (resized).jpg
    7E30BB9A-3693-44EF-BE78-5814F7D0CA55 (resized).jpeg
    71374A9A-4AFA-4B11-A8F7-7E314F699043 (resized).jpeg
    B967593F-9871-4BD6-9201-533AFFFB97A0 (resized).jpeg
    _3018685 (resized).JPG
    100_2821 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot at 2018-09-10 04-27-34 (resized).png

There are 386 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
    #301 8 months ago
    Quoted from big420atx:

I like what you have done. But I still don't understand why you are going your route. Why not just do the 7 segment led display like the company made. Then you eliminate all the worry, hassle and extra parts.

Because I don't have one and can't easily get one. I don't think I was the only one relying on the mini-bulb boards...

UPDATE ALERT - I just posted an update to the project that includes a short video showing the Skee Score working with my bench-booted Model H controller. Enjoy!

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#302 8 months ago

Rob-

This looks fantastic! So for 165 I could get both displays? When is delivery on these? Sorry on crappy phone and cant see everything. I think this is one of yoyr best business ideas yet. Prices for parts are insane and this is a cheaper more reliable option.

Mat

#303 8 months ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Rob-
    This looks fantastic! So for 165 I could get both displays? When is delivery on these? Sorry on crappy phone and cant see everything. I think this is one of yoyr best business ideas yet. Prices for parts are insane and this is a cheaper more reliable option.
    Mat

Yes, you get both displays and the Ball Count baffle for $165... or if you do the "front of the line" reward you get it for $155. "Front of the line" will ship in March (yes, next month). I'm conservatively projecting June for the "regular delivery" rewards. I think I can beat that timeline but I wanted to give myself some space considering I will be at TPF in March and Allentown in May.

Thanks for the great compliment! I'm really proud of how these turned out.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#304 8 months ago

Hey everyone, the campaign seems to have stepped into a higher gear this weekend - we are now 66% funded! With 10 days remaining I'm feeling optimistic about reaching the goal. Just two more board set commitments would take it over the finish line! My Kickstarter dashboard says most traffic visiting the campaign is sourced from Pinside, so THANK YOU!

-Rob
    -check out my Kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2111218102/skee-ball-display-pcbs-redesigned?ref=3De36051
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

#305 8 months ago

I'm joining the thread here. I recently picked up a Model H that's has badly cracked and marred cork, and non-working electronics, and missing the right metal end cap (with the coin slot) and the right plastic rails. I recently picked up the right metal cover.

(IF anyone knows where I can get the right rail, PLEASE contact me!)

I'll be purchasing replacement cork soon and refurbishing the runway and scoring board.

Since the electronics didnt' work, I carefully removed them all and added a new 720p 27.5 inch TV and PC I had lying around, and started writing my own skeeball game software. (Some in-game images below).

If anyone's interested in the software and the progress thread, it's over at BYOAC: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156300.msg1642100.html#msg1642100

#306 8 months ago

Ive recently sold off most of my pins (9 games mostly A games, but I still have 4 pins in the basement and 6 more at work) and picked up a 13ft JUMBO ball bowler to fill the space. I wish I had room for a 16ft but I just dont. Like any bowler thats not coming from a collection mine needed lots of resto work but the backglass was beyond repair. I wasnt crazy about the art and sure didnt want to pay 300 for a reproduction of it so I made a couple of custom backglasses. These will be printed directly on the backside of 1/8in acrylic just like a real backglass. I originally wanted the monster theme but then ended up decorating the length of the wall with the lane on it with guitars. It looked really great so I made another bg that would match that decor better. Also on the monsters I couldnt decide which color background to go with so I will get one of each made. These are going to the printer today. I will post pics when they are installed but for now here it the art.

Monster Alley Blue PST (resized).jpg

Monster Alley Teal PST (resized).jpg

ROCK & BOWL PST (resized).jpg

#307 8 months ago

Who would you get to print it?

#308 8 months ago

I have a friend in the print industry with a flatbed printer for printing directly on substrates and can print white.

#309 8 months ago

Don't forget to change the strike and spare symbols before you print.

#310 8 months ago

Thanks man that was a total miss on my part. Great save. Thank you!

#311 8 months ago

Also double check your layers to see that the score reel windows are "Clear" and that the strikes and spares are on the white layer so they don't show up unless they are lighted.

#313 8 months ago

Thanks yes. Getting the score reels clear is a matter of communicating to my printer so they can set up the white to not print there in the rip application. Unfortunately since this is digital print and not silkscreening I really only get one blast of white that has to go everywhere except the clear spots, as the regular ink on clear is very transparent and needs the white to have an opaque background. It will light up somewhat but not like a silkscreen set up.

#314 8 months ago

I'm throwing my hat in the ring here.

I picked up a beat up Model H a few weeks ago for $200 after searching for quite some time. It has some issues:
    - Missing the right plastic yellow rail
    - Missing the right metal end cap with the coin slot
    - Missing the marquee plexiglass
    - Electronics not working
    - Dented and cracked cork on runway and scoring ring board.

I've been able to find the metal end cap and sourced replacement cork. I CANNOT find the plastic rail.. if ANYONE has a lead on that, please let me know.
    skee3small (resized).jpg

Since the electronics aren't working, I decided to carefully and non-destructively remove the stock electronics and wiring, put a 27.5in TV in the top box fronted with a piece of smoked plexi, and throw a computer in the bottom of the cabinet. For software, I saw some interesting examples around the net of people writing skeeball controller software, so I decided to write my own (screenshots below):
    Classic (resized).png
    Bowling1 (resized).png
    310 (resized).png
    StrangerInTheAlps (resized).png
    Skricket (resized).png

Here's a shot of it running on the cabinet.
    screenthroughplexi (resized).jpg

If anyone's interested int he software project, you can follow it here (and see some videos, etc): http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156300.0.html

#315 8 months ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Hey everyone, the campaign seems to have stepped into a higher gear this weekend - we are now 66% funded! With 10 days remaining I'm feeling optimistic about reaching the goal. Just two more board set commitments would take it over the finish line! My Kickstarter dashboard says most traffic visiting the campaign is sourced from Pinside, so THANK YOU!
    -Rob
    -check out my Kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2111218102/skee-ball-display-pcbs-redesigned?ref=3De36051
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

100% !!!!!!!

Around 3pm today the Kickstarter reached full funding 4 days ahead of the campaign's end! And it got there even with me accidentally posting broken links in a couple places (sorry - clearly not intentional).

Thanks especially to everyone who joined in to the campaign and also to all those well-wishers cheering it along! One special note - a full 3/4 of the backers representing 95% of the campaign financial participation came from PINSIDE!!!! There are 4 days left if you still want to join the Kickstarter or, if you need these boards in the future they will be available on my website - www.kahr.us

-Rob
    -check out my SUCCESSFUL Kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2111218102/skee-ball-display-pcbs-redesigned?ref=3De36051

#316 8 months ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Thanks especially to everyone who joined in to the campaign and also to all those well-wishers cheering it along! One special note - a full 3/4 of the backers representing 95% of the campaign financial participation came from PINSIDE!!!! There are 4 days left if you still want to join the Kickstarter or, if you need these boards in the future they will be available on my website - http://www.kahr.us

There are 24 hours left in the campaign so if you are on the fence about joining in, now is the time...

-Rob

#317 8 months ago

I did get my outputs installed on my Jumbo last weekend and just wanted to send some photos of them in real life.

R&B 1 (resized).jpg
    R&B 2 (resized).jpg

MA 1 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #318 7 months ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

100% !!!!!!!

Around 3pm today the Kickstarter reached full funding 4 days ahead of the campaign's end! And it got there even with me accidentally posting broken links in a couple places (sorry - clearly not intentional).

Thanks especially to everyone who joined in to the campaign and also to all those well-wishers cheering it along! One special note - a full 3/4 of the backers representing 95% of the campaign financial participation came from PINSIDE!!!! There are 4 days left if you still want to join the Kickstarter or, if you need these boards in the future they will be available on my website - http://www.kahr.us

-Rob
    -check out my SUCCESSFUL Kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2111218102/skee-ball-display-pcbs-redesigned?ref=3De36051

I'm proud to report that all rewards from my kickstarter campaign have either shipped or will be picked up at the Texas Pinball Festival. If you are coming to the show stop by to see the Skee Score board set running in demonstration mode and if you want to purchase a set I will have a few complete sets available in Texas. PM me if you aren't coming to the show but want to order a set.

-Rob

3 weeks later
    #319 6 months ago

Finally got a puck bowler today. Picked up a Strike Zone for $100. There was a warehouse sale near Wrigley Field that had 6 puck bowlers. All in good shape but need a little work to be working 100%. I also picked up a Tron cocktail arcade for $100 as well. I will post pictures later this weekend.
    One of my friends is picking one up tomorrow as well. At that price I couldn't say no,

#320 6 months ago

I posted a video over on youtube demonstrating how to install my new Display Boards in your Skee Ball machine:

-Rob

#321 6 months ago

Skee ball has been the biggest hit of the game room. Especially after a few beers and money starts getting laid down.

#322 6 months ago

If anyone in this group/club/site has a 1955 United 5th inning shuffle baseball game that they would be willing to sell, please PM me.

#323 6 months ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Skee ball has been the biggest hit of the game room. Especially after a few beers and money starts getting laid down.

I believe it, I don't think I've ever met someone who said "Skeeball? Nah, not for me." Just doesn't happen. Mine's been buried in the unfinished basement and we don't get much traffic until Summertime when the pool opens. I'm about to bring mine up into the garage with the MAME machine and the Scorpion 9000 darts -- so I'm psyched to see the response, especially with my new SkeeBall software.

2 weeks later
    #324 5 months ago

Joined the shuffleboard table club ... got it home, but still have to put it back together when my son can help me get it into the basement. I will post a pic when it's together. Question I have is does anyone have a good source for some good shuffleboard rule posters that have illustrations of scoring? The posters I see on EBay and Amazon are mostly verbiage of just the official rules for the different games, which is ok, but I'd also like to get something quick and easy to see for guests when they come over. I see some things that can be printed from websites, but I'm looking more for the typical laminated type posters like they have for the rules. If you know of something, let me know. Thanks!

#325 5 months ago

What model did you get?

#326 5 months ago
    Quoted from Raegor:

What model did you get?

I don't really know - still covered with moving blankets and strapped into my trailer in the pole barn. Probably not the cool popular brand as it isn't super beefy, but not too flimsy. Has an overhead built in score keeper though and looks pretty nice with wood grains. I consider it a used 10 foot "starter table" for us. If it catches on with family and friends with a few parties coming up, we'll upgrade later - in a couple of years. If not, it takes up a lot of wall space so we would just cut our losses and sell it next fall. I never played a game on a table yet, but as a kid, my dad had a outdoor regulation size one put into our basement (the Christmas tree looking target). Was pretty wild when he would wax that part of the floor super slippery for parties. Was like walking on ice. In high school when I first saw curling in the Olympics, I thought of that as I would run and slide the full length of that court once parties were over.

#327 5 months ago

Hey on a smart ball machine, do I buy the same 13ft cork carpet as the skee ball brand?

#328 5 months ago

I have a big ball bowler and I feel like when no one is playing the pins should be in the up position so they aren’t stretching out the springs that retract the pins. Any thoughts?

#329 5 months ago

It is suppose to be like that, the springs will not stretch out!!!

#330 5 months ago
    Quoted from Tazmans:

It is suppose to be like that, the springs will not stretch out!!!

Yeah they have I've noticed since I restored the pin deck the springs aren't pulling the pins up as fast as they were before..

#331 5 months ago

I had never had that problem and had/have machines from the three major ball bowler manufacturers.
    What do you have, a Chicago Coin?
    I can say, while transporting, I like having the pins in the upward position..

#332 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

What do you have, a Chicago Coin?

Yeah it's a Chicago Coin 16ft bowler.. I mean I was talking with Chris at St Louis BB and he said the original springs are the best and just cut a few rings off them to increase the tension on them but I have noticed a difference lately with the tension seeming slower to pull the pins up.. Thanks for the info..

#333 5 months ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

Yeah it's a Chicago Coin 16ft bowler

Being a C.C., the pivot point should be metal on metal. Maybe you can try a couple drops of
    light weight oil in those spots. I like Remington Gun Oil quite a bit. I always have some on hand..
    Also, on the pin mech sliders (underneath the deck), maybe you can try a little Lemon Pledge on
    a Q-Tip where the plastic comes in contact with the metal slides. Also, a little lube may not hurt if
    needed. While the deck is still installed, I know it may be a little rough to get to, but perhaps you
    can first try it on only one that seems to be attracting a little slower than it use to..

#334 5 months ago

I got our shuffleboard setup in a spot that we can play it while remodeling our basement. I will need to add better lighting above it before we have a party.

20180509_193550 (resized).jpg

#335 5 months ago

Does anyone know the theory of operation for a Model H. 9 Ball game used to only need 5 balls loaded. The gate used to lock after 5 were thrown leaving for in the trough. Now it’s different on each of my two alleys. One only locks after it hits 9 and people keep either stealing the balls or throwing them all in he other alley causing ball count issues when a game is started.

Can find anything online and SkeeBall tech support doesn’t exist anymore, I believe.

#336 5 months ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Does anyone know the theory of operation for a Model H. 9 Ball game used to only need 5 balls loaded. The gate used to lock after 5 were thrown leaving for in the trough. Now it’s different on each of my two alleys. One only locks after it hits 9 and people keep either stealing the balls or throwing them all in he other alley causing ball count issues when a game is started.
    Can find anything online and SkeeBall tech support doesn’t exist anymore, I believe.

The ball release solenoid should only open "the gate" for a few seconds to allow 9 balls to drop. This is the case for Model H as well as Model S lanes.

#337 5 months ago

hmm. it used to drop 9 and then lock after 5. allowing less than 9 balls to be loaded.

#338 5 months ago

I don't think Skee-Ball ever published the Model H manual online. However, see picture attached. The mechanism should always allow exactly 9 balls to roll down while the solenoid is on. See if the rocker arm is jamming or scraping on the front dog.

You can remove the front dog entirely, but people could reach in and push the rocker arm down by hand, and then the next game won't have 9 balls.

Skee_Ball_Ball_Release (resized).jpg

#339 5 months ago

Perhaps I'm talking about the wrong model (S, then?). Early 2000s model with optos. It has a pretty simple set up with just a solenoid and an arm? All of the optos are working correctly.

It's annoying because people keep puttingthe excess balls from the one lane into the other which causing the overloaded lane to start with X amount of balls played.

#340 5 months ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Perhaps I'm talking about the wrong model (S, then?). Early 2000s model with optos. It has a pretty simple set up with just a solenoid and an arm? All of the optos are working correctly.
    It's annoying because people keep puttingthe excess balls from the one lane into the other which causing the overloaded lane to start with X amount of balls played.

There's a model S that doesn't have a large arm to count out the balls. It uses an opto around where the solenoid ball release is at and that stays energized until it counts that you're on your last ball. Then the arm goes up. You can play those alleys with a single ball if you wanted and it'd work fine, though it's kind of best to use 3x balls in them so you can continue throwing without having a delay in-between.

#341 5 months ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Pics of the machine?

#342 5 months ago
    Quoted from nephasth:

Pics of the machine?

I’ll snap some. Maybe I missed an opto. There’s one at the entrance to the trough that counts the balls and the all of the holes have one.

Consider setting to one-ball mode but that would slow down game play and all I get is complaints about how we need more SkeeBall. In the manual it doesn’t explain the theory of gate operation. It was great when they were both working with 5 balls in the trough.

#343 5 months ago

Wait, I did know there was an opto down here. It had come unplugged.

D128647B-31A8-4431-891A-D403D5741F58 (resized).jpeg

2FB48B87-524D-4189-B138-C9086C679C34 (resized).jpeg

#344 5 months ago

LOL. Sometimes you just have to talk the dumbest things through because you didn’t realize a switch came unplugged/you forgot to plug it in.

#345 5 months ago

Take a look at this homemade Skee Ball game on instructables.com. I’d love to have a go at building one but I just don’t have the space at the moment.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Skee-Ball-Game

29F974B0-EA45-4F77-BAF5-261D210BF058 (resized).jpeg

#346 5 months ago

No space? That thing is tiny, it uses golf balls!

#347 5 months ago
    Quoted from nephasth:

No space? That thing is tiny, it uses golf balls!

It's still too big for the limited space I have. Unless I get rid of the dining table.

#349 5 months ago

Just make it a combo skee ball/table.

1 month later
    #350 4 months ago

Love all these cool games in this thread.

I’m super excited, tomorrow I pick up a 1955 United Venus shuffle skee! Not quite sure how it will fit in my basement height wise but I’ll figure something out

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.95
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Decals
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Lee's Parts
    $ 59.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 386 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside