• Latest reply 4 years ago by ralphs007
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shuffle head (resized).jpg
ballystern_retrofit_shuffle.jpg
IMG_0716 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Been seeing some shuffle bowlers on Craigslist here and there. Decent fun or quickly boring?

What's a fair price for an "average" machine?

A little vague I know, just ball parking right now.

#4 5 years ago

So solid state is the way to go then.

What's a fair price?
I'm seeing $1500 - 2000, but that seems high to me.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi Ron
Have a Williams Alley cats that I bought and did a refurb job on. It is a fun machine to play and I bought it about a year and a half ago from an op in Northern WV for $450. Yes it needed work and I had to send the main board out to clive to get it worked on but it is a very fun game and people definitely gravitate towards it. I ageee that the em versions I would shy away from. Too damn much work.
I think the name of the guys business in wv was guns and roses pinball. At the time he said he several more of these so you may try and see if he can hook you up at a good price. He even delivered the game to me!
Hope this helps
G

Very helpful, thanks!

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

If cleaned properly, the EM’s will last for pretty much beyond or lifetimes. Most guys haven’t worked on an EM, so I think they shy away from them. Just my 2cents.
If you have room, I would suggest considering a ball bowler.

Yeah, I measured, not gonna happen. I was close to buying the one listed here.

Never worked on an EM, would need a working one to start.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

....... 16 footer. Anything shorter than that isn’t much of a challenge for me. If you don’t have the room for that size bowler then a shuffle alley is a great option and I would choose solid state.

My basement can't handle the long one, sadly.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Older EM shuffle bowlers can be had pretty cheap, especially the ones from the mid-to-late 70s. Most people want the solid state ones for better reliability, more game modes and sounds. Lloyd @ Coinopwarehouse in Maryland probably has dozens of solid state shuffle bowlers at any given time and usually priced reasonably since they're projects (not fully gone through).
EM shuffle bowlers can be had for as low as $200-300 or less, depending on working condition. If you're patient you will probably find someone about ready to give one away as they're a harder sell unless they're super nice cosmetically or are one of the more desirable EM models.
The solid state ones are usually somewhere in the $400-800 range as working or non-working projects. Earlier Williams solid state models would be on the lower end of the range. IMO there's not too big of a difference between the later Williams solid state shuffle alleys running on Sys11 boardsets and the earlier ones.. better sound/speech, but it's a shuffle alley and it doesn't add as much to the game as it would in later pinball games for instance.
Fully shopped and ready-to-play solid state alleys offered by amusement companies are more likely to be in the $1200-$3000. So if you aren't looking for a project and don't want to have to deal with any of the electronics, it'll add quite a bit onto the price tag.
As with anything, if you're patient you're likely to find one pop up in your area at a pretty cheap price as people moving often "just want it gone".
Here's an eBay listing for a $750 Strike Zone (earlier Williams, from 1984):
ebay.com link » Williams Strike Zone Puck Shuffle Alley Bowling Machine 1984
Personally I have a Black Beauty Shuffle Alley, the only shuffle alley that Stern Electronics made and they used the MPU-200 boardset in it -- mustn't have been many of them made because you rarely see them pop up anywhere. With the BLUE led displays in it that I sell, it looks pretty sweet. The limitations of the earlier sound board used (SB-100 for some reason, despite the SB-300 being used in most MPU-200 games) really don't bother me at all in a pinball machine. Tones and early electronic melodies, no speech.. but it works for the shuffle alley just fine. So while I don't care for that sound board in a pinball machine, it's "good enough" for a shuffle alley that's exciting on its own to play with a group of people because you're all egging each other on, talking or joking while waiting for your turn again (which comes around pretty quick) and the sounds don't matter so much. Just my opinion

In terms of fun-factor, shuffle alleys are awesome when you're entertaining groups of people. No one has to wait long for their turn and it's some fun competition. The later alleys with the different modes like FLASH keep it interesting too.

Wow, lots of good info!
And that ebay sale is pretty close too.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

I'm actually mad that I have to do this...

That's what she said...!!!

Lol! I knew it was only a matter of time! Throw a lob bsll, expect a hit!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shuffle-bowler-worth-owning?tu=ronss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.