(Topic ID: 285537)

Shuffle alley not counting all pins

By harleyman132

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hi, I have a United Royal Hawaiian shuffle alley, it works great other than when get 9 pins it gives you 8, when you get 8 it gives you 7...it does this across the board for every player and any combination of pins...I'm getting better at troubleshooting this but this has me stumped, any help would be appreciated....

Thanks Dave

#2 3 years ago

The problem is most likely a dirty/not properly adjusted contact in one of the pin relays.
    You can find out which one with the process of illimination. If you manually activate each
    Relay Pin (the 1 & 5 may be together), then activate the 1st and 2nd Shot Relays, then
    check if it tabulates the same number of pins that went up. If not, then it's in that Pin
    Relay(s) that you activated. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's in the 1 (1 & 5) Relay..
    It could also be in the Score Motor's Wiper Board, but I'm thinking in a Pin Relay..

#3 3 years ago

That's where I was also thinking the Score Motor but I was hoping on something simpler, I will look into the pin relays like you said, thanks for the tip, I'll leave you posted as to what I find...

#4 3 years ago

Hi Mopar, this is what I got. After experimenting with the pin relays I found that the 5 pin seems to be an issue. If I take all pins down except the 5, it finally counts 9 pins down...If I take all the pins including the 5 but leave either the 7 or 10 up it will only count 8 pins..ive been through the 5 pin relay and can't find a smoking gun everything looks good, contacts are proper and clean...then I went to the score motor really didn't find anything making sure the fingers are in the right position including lining up with the index hole...any other ideas would be good im still stumped

Thanks Dave

#5 3 years ago

I almost forgot to mention the weird thing is if I take down just the 5, 7, and 8 pins the 5 works and it counts 3 pins down...its not making any sense to me...

#6 3 years ago

It's been quite a while since I worked on a 70s United/Williams shuffle, but
    I believe instead of the Pin Relays pulling the pins, the pins pull the Pin Relays
    in the Relay Bank.
    I would slide the puck so you pull 9 pins and leave only the 7 or 9, then look
    at the Relay Bank and check if another Pin Relay hasn't energized besides the
    the one that hasn't been pulled (7 or 9), and if that is the case, then I would
    check the make break switches at the pin units under the pin hood. If it is the
    #5 Pin Relay that hasn't energized, then I'd consentrate on the #5 Pin make/break
    switches. If those switches seem to be okay (along with its solder tabs), then
    I believe the pin unit board has a jones plug. Maybe sanding the male prongs and
    making sure they're making good contact could solve the problem..

#7 3 years ago

Ok I'll look into it, thanks again...

3 weeks later
    #8 3 years ago

After doing some checks like you said everything seems ok...when I trip all pins except the 7 or 10 it only counts 8 instead of nine and the 5 pin relay does energize...when I trip all pins except the 5 it counts 9 then...any other combo that includes the 5 works fine, but the 7 or 10 left up then it counts 8....every pin by itself trips the associated relay so I'm thinking motor score....

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from harleyman132:

.when I trip all pins except the 5 it counts 9

This would make you think it's in the #5 Pin Relay.

Quoted from harleyman132:

any other combo that includes the 5 works fine

But this counter's that..

If you manually activate only the #5 Pin Relay in the Relay Bank, does it score 1 point after
    twice activating the last row of rollover switches?
    I would maybe clean and recheck the switches in the #5 Relay (in the Relay Bank).
    However, like you figured, it could also be in the Score Motor's wiper board. I'd first check the
    solder joints on the outside wires of the Score Motor's wiper board, (and actually on the #5
    Relay switches also). If all seems well, it could be a loose wire on the backside of the Score Motor's
    wiper board which I have seen, although it's not quite as likely..
    You may also want to check the ends of the Score Motor's wiper blades for wear. It may possible
    be making contact to all the wiper board's rivets that count the individual pins (when there's an open)
    except for one. Perhaps there's also wiper board rivets that show wear. If you do notice wear where
    perhaps the wiper isn't making true contact to a rivet(s), you can maybe loosen and slightly push in the
    Score Motor's wiper so that it's making better contact to the wiper board's rivets. Those wiper blade rivets
    are replaceable. (I also have replaced wiper board rivets, but hopefully you won't need to do that).
    One good thing. I believe your machine has only a single Score Motor wiper board..
    Edit: After all is good, you'll want to apply a thin film of light weight grease to the wiper boards. Especially
    the Score Motor's and the Flash Motor's..

#10 3 years ago

Thanks for your response mopar...I not sure if I checked the 5 pin that way, I might have but not sure because I was checking so much at one time, but will follow your advice on that...I do know 2 of the wipers brass pins are wore down pretty good hasn't hit the blade yet..I did find the rivets I'm waiting for them to be delivered, and remove and fix the fingers....keep you posted...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shuffle-alley-not-counting-all-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.