Topic poll

“Shrek VS RBION”

• Shrek 10 votes
    23%
  • RBION 33 votes
    77%

(43 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 5 years ago

My brother is looking at either of these as a possible first game purchase.
Which one is better? He likes the theme for both, so just consider game play.
Ready, Go !

#2 5 years ago

RBION by far, more ramps, and interesting gimmicks overall IMHO.

#3 5 years ago

Don't own a Shrek but just bought a RBION and love it. This is Lawlor's best flowing game for sure..NGG a close second. RBION is fun for all. Great for beginners and novices because of long ball times. Deep enough for a pro. Achieving all 7 continents is damn near impossible. Blinding with LED's too.

#4 5 years ago

I've owned both and really enjoyed RBION. I would go with RBION.

#6 5 years ago

Shrek by far. People state FG is a top game and then crap on this strictly for the theme (despite the rulesets and playfield being identical). Only 600 Shreks made to boot. Plus, Shrek really does have great humor in it (and one heck of a voice impression for Eddie Murphy as Donkey.) RBION is nice, but Shrek is much better.

Ask people if RBION is better than FG. Nope.

#7 5 years ago

But it's not FG. It's Shrek.

#8 5 years ago

Ripley's is a really fun game with a well laid out playfield, very underrated pinball machine IMHO. Easy to play, very difficult to master! Not a fan of Shrek...the theme or the pin.

#9 5 years ago

RBION by a country mile-own this machine and it has a crap ton of things to do,multiballs up the wazoo and modes that will kick yur butt time and time again. If you want a novelty game that wears on you fast and usually comes well routed and dirty from your local Chuck E Cheese,then Shrek is your answer,but if you want a challenge and like longer ball times,RBION is the one for you.

#10 5 years ago

If you want long ball times, get a S. I have one and had a RBION. Couldn't want to sell the R, hanging on to S. Humor is way better too. R is way to monotone.

#11 5 years ago

Owned FG and rbion. While I owned FG I put the shrek software on it. I made it one game. The voice acting is TERRIBLE. It is not funny. It is awful. Probably why one of the locals bought it and hated it too.

So to make this fair let's try FG vs RBION. Both are deep. FG is genuinely funny, but also immature. Fart Multiball anyone? Aside from the mini pinball there are not any amazing toys. RBION is not funny. Some don't like the shrunken head voice, but I like it. While they are both deep, rbion feels like it has more strategies due to the temple codes.

From a cost standpoint a huo rbion is still less than a routed FG. On that alone I go with RBION, but if they were even I'd still take RBION over FG.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from SpecialK-33:

Don't own a Shrek but just bought a RBION and love it. This is Lawlor's best flowing game for sure..NGG a close second. RBION is fun for all. Great for beginners and novices because of long ball times. Deep enough for a pro. Achieving all 7 continents is damn near impossible. Blinding with LED's too.

While I definitely really like RBION (above FG or Shrek), I don't consider it a game with good flow. Very stop, line up shot, and go. If you are looking for Lawlor flow, consider NGG or NASCAR.

#13 5 years ago

RBION is a cool game. Shrek got old real quick for me.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it.
I have a RBION that my kids LOVE. My brother is interested in it, but he is shopping around, looking at other games, learning a lot, which is good. I've owned various games for 20+ years, but never owned a Shrek. I like the family friendly theme of Shrek, but thought he might be better off sticking with a top tier modern stern like TSPP or RBION. Dollar for dollar, it seems like Ripley's is the better choice.

#16 5 years ago

RBION is one of my favourite games so I'd have to vote for that.

#17 5 years ago

Wow. Seriously thanks. I've read many of your comments to my kids - they are inclined towards Ripleys. Then we looked at RCTycoon - now I've got more homework to do.

#19 5 years ago

Shrek. I owned a HUO Rbion, got to Atlantis on default settings, and after didn't feel like playing it anymore. It has much less all in all than it appears. I was underwhelmed, and I rarely sell.

I like Shrek, and wish I hadn't passed up a couple I had a change to get.

#20 5 years ago

Rippleys...

#21 5 years ago

Shrek all the way never leaving

#22 5 years ago

I've played both a lot in league and I used to own RBION. Neither one is that great of a game, but I think RBION will hold your interest a lot longer than Shrek. As for comparing FGY and Shrek, it's odd that even though they are the exact same layout, FGY is always more fun to play than Shrek.

BTW, FG=Flash Gordon.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Ask people if RBION is better than FG. Nope.

For me RBION is a better game, but I do agree with your point of FGvShrek. I always think aboot how everyone would complain aboot Shrek being green and how ugly it was, then Avengers came out and everyone was pumped up for a green Hulk LE.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from mkaelin:

Wow. Seriously thanks. I've read many of your comments to my kids - they are inclined towards Ripleys. Then we looked at RCTycoon - now I've got more homework to do.

You will be better off sticking with RBION or Shrek for sure. Homework done

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

My brother is looking at either of these as a possible first game purchase.
Which one is better? He likes the theme for both, so just consider game play.
Ready, Go !

If your brother is not a good player and does not like the theme, he probably won't like RBION. Shrek is better for more casual and younger players. RBION is a tough, challenging game that is deep and takes a while to get the hang of and understand. For me, it's no contest, RBION by a mile, but I love games like that.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

green Hulk LE

That's blue kool-aid for ya....!

#28 5 years ago

Shrek for me.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

If your brother is not a good player and does not like the theme, he probably won't like RBION. Shrek is better for more casual and younger players. RBION is a tough, challenging game that is deep and takes a while to get the hang of and understand. For me, it's no contest, RBION by a mile, but I love games like that.

I don't think you necessarily have to be a good player to enjoy RBION mainly because the flippers are a little closer together than most games so that leads to longer ball times. That helps a lot for a novice player, regardless of the theme or the rule set.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Francisco, CA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside