Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Shrek Topper.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Family Guy is on my short list of games that I would insta-buy if I found for $3,500 or less in good, normal shape.

So a Shrek has popped up locally in that range.

I'm just curious about a few things.

#1. Are the rules the same with the exception of a theme change? Or does Shrek have completely different rule set?
#2. Can I load FG code via SAM and play FG on the Shrek playfield?
#3. I absolutely LOVE the FG audio and quotes. Are the Shrek quotes from the movie or done by impersonators?

Any help on this topic would be highly appreciated.

Marcus

#2 9 years ago

1. Yes - same rules
2. Yes.
3. Shrek call outs and music make me shriek! The art is pretty bad too. This table and ruleset were meant for one theme and one theme only. Family Guy! A great machine. Owned mine for 4 years before getting hit with pin fever. Dont cheap yourself out of a great pin, wait til you can get a FGY. Don't settle for less especially if you really like the FGY humor and theme.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

#3. I absolutely LOVE the FG audio and quotes. Are the Shrek quotes from the movie or done by impersonators?

voice actors

I would just wait for a Family Guy i think it's the best game ever made.

#4 9 years ago

Wait for FG!

#5 9 years ago

Yikes. Couldn't disagree more on

Quoted from Eskaybee: 3. Shrek call outs and music make me shriek! The art is pretty bad too. This table and ruleset were meant for one theme and one theme only. Family Guy! A great machine. Owned mine for 4 years before getting hit with pin fever. Dont cheap yourself out of a great pin, wait til you can get a FGY. Don't settle for less especially if you really like the FGY humor and theme.

Wow, could not disagree more with you. I'm not sure what about the layout screams FG to you but the Shrek theme works great IMO. Donkey multi-ball instead of Stewey? What's the difference? Love it. And I love the art package on Shrek ... I think it's excellent. I think the callouts and humor in Shrek are absolutely hilarious (I always love the Gingerbread man pooping out the random number for a free game.) I'm a big fan of the show FG but I honestly liked the Shrek theme even better on the pinball.

That being said ... yes, the callouts in Shrek are done by impersonators for the most part .. but they are incredibly well done. Each actor had to approve their own impersonator and Eddie Murphy (Donkey) is spot on. Very well done. And hey ... there are only 600 Shreks out there total ... versus thousands of FG?

#6 9 years ago

I have owned a Family Guy for 3 years, then sold it to my brother and got a Shrek. They're both great games. The humor is more adult oriented in FGY obviously while Shrek is more of a family theme. I personally like the music and sounds better in Shrek. You hear a lot of negativity about the music but in fact only ball one of player one starts with that Smash Mouth song (only the first verse is sung, then instrumental) and the other balls are all classical movie sounding. Personally, I think David Thiel really knocked this one out of the park both music- and soundwise. Playing FGY on your Shrek or vice versa is easy with the SAM system, simply update the firmware to either version. And the game rules are the same so it's really not a bad experience. But a playfield kit option from Stern would have been awesome. I recommend both of these games, see if you can test 'me both, or watch some YouTube clips to make up your mind which one you like best!

#7 9 years ago

I think in general people see so many more FG's (because there are so many more out there) and FG is absolutely a great theme .. but I just can't see why anyone would logically say Shrek is any less of a game. Same layout, same rules, and I do truly think the art/sound package on Shrek was every bit as well done (if not better). Perhaps Shrek just isn't as cool of a theme to many which I can see.

#8 9 years ago

Troll.

It's cause Shrek is a troll, can we get a moderator to take care of this!?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I think in general people see so many more FG's (because there are so many more out there) and FG is absolutely a great theme .. but I just can't see why anyone would logically say Shrek is any less of a game. Same layout, same rules, and I do truly think the art/sound package on Shrek was every bit as well done (if not better). Perhaps Shrek just isn't as cool of a theme to many which I can see.

Look at the reviews. The only place there should be differences are in the art area. THere is a huge difference between the two, so there is a definite bias. I would prefer Shrek because it would be a much easier sell with my kids around.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

Troll.

Not a troll! An OGRE!! GRRRRR!!

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

Troll.

Fail...Shrek is an ogre... with layers.

#12 9 years ago

I like my Shrek.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from KillyKillall:

Fail...Shrek is an ogre... with layers.

Cakes have layers....

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Look at the reviews. The only place there should be differences are in the art area. THere is a huge difference between the two, so there is a definite bias. I would prefer Shrek because it would be a much easier sell with my kids around.

Exactly - Shrek is the family friendly version, FG is the single guy (no kids) or married guy (no kids) version.

#15 9 years ago

I happen to have a beautiful Shrek for sale....

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

I happen to have a beautiful Shrek for sale....

I saw your Shrek. Beautiful game. However, the local Shrek is a steal.

If yours was priced in the lower $3K range, I would definitely consider it!

Marcus

#17 9 years ago

I was actually disappointed that Shrek was a FG clone. I preordered FG because it was my dream theme, but Shrek is still my favorite pin theme since FG.

#18 9 years ago

Is money really that tight? You won't find FGY for $3500. Buy the Shrek. Play it until you are sick of green. Then sell it at a profit and buy the FGY if you can. About $4500.

#19 9 years ago

Money is finite.

I have pinball money to spend, but there are so many awesome games, I have to figure out how I want to spend it.

Smoking deals are always tempting. And I may just do the "buy, play, flip" on Shrek.

If only Stern would solve my problem by announcing TWD. Then my choice would be easy.

Marcus

#20 9 years ago

I own both, and they are keepers. That price is a steal if it's in great condition, buy it!

#21 9 years ago

I would wait and pay a bit more for the family guy. I love the family guy pin, I played shrek and although I am a fan of the movies the playfield art and music were horrible, to me anyways. I even loaded the shrek firmware in my family guy and couldn't switch it back fast enough.

Quoted from KillyKillall:

Exactly - Shrek is the family friendly version, FG is the single guy (no kids) or married guy (no kids) version.

Also this ^^^^^^^^^ is absolute nonsense and not true. You can set FG to family in the settings. My son loves FG, one of his favourite pins.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I would wait and pay a bit more for the Family Guy. I love the Family Guy pin, I played shrek and although I am a fan of the movies the playfield art and music were horrible, to me anyways. I even loaded the shrek firmware in my Family Guy and couldn't switch it back fast enough.

Also this ^^^^^^^^^ is absolute nonsense and not true. You can set FG to family in the settings. My son loves FG, one of his favourite pins.

Agree. Family version is a true family version in FGY. FGY was the favorite played pin when I had a 5 pin collection amongst nephews, nieces, and kids. Take it from someone who doesn't own either and isn't planning to buy either so has no pawn in the race unlike some shrek owner protectors out there (not you robin ). Save yourself the ear and eye ache, wait til you can get a FGY. There's a reason why it sits higher in the standings and demands more $, not because of production #s but because it's simply better!

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Agree. Family version is a true family version in FGY. FGY was the favorite played pin when I had a 5 pin collection amongst nephews, nieces, and kids. Take it from someone who doesn't own either and isn't planning to buy either so has no pawn in the race unlike some shrek owner protectors out there (not you robin ). Save yourself the ear and eye ache, wait til you can get a FGY. There's a reason why it sits higher in the standings and demands more $, not because of production #s but because it's simply better!

The theme kills FG for me, and I feel the same about AC/DC and Metallica.

I am not a fan of the Shrek films, but don't find it objectionable like I do many other titles. I also like the green armor.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

The theme kills FG for me, and I feel the same about AC/DC and Metallica.
I am not a fan of the Shrek films, but don't find it objectionable like I do many other titles. I also like the green armor.

Ya, I think that's the one exception to go shrek over FGY and that's theme preference. But the OP clearly stated he wanted a FGY which is why I think he'd be better off waiting. And who knows, maybe TWD will get announced in the waiting period and he could get another theme he's interested. No need to waste time and energy on a theme that's not appealing IMO.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Ya, I think that's the one exception to go shrek over FGY and that's theme preference. But the OP clearly stated he wanted a FGY which is why I think he'd be better off waiting. And who knows, maybe TWD will get announced in the waiting period and he could get another theme he's interested. No need to waste time and energy on a theme that's not appealing IMO.

Just to be clear, I actually like Shrek as a theme. It's one of my favorite animated movies.

I'm going to go check out the game in person and decide after looking at the level of effort it will take to get it cleaned up. It's already working.

Knowing me, I'll be leaving with it.

Worse case, I will play it for a while and sell it.

Thanks for all the opinions! I really appreciated reading them.

Marcus

#26 9 years ago

Looked at both and decided to buy Shrek. The call outs are numerous and humorous. You can't go wrong on a Shrek for less than $3500.
The topper I made:
Shrek Topper.jpgShrek Topper.jpg

#27 9 years ago

The only real difference between the two is that Meg has a coil (she bounces up and down when you hit her), but the Fiona toy is stationary. I feel like there might be something different about the way hits register on the Magic Mirror vs. the Beer Can - but it might just be the toy material that makes it feel different to me. Rules are the same, code works on either machine.

#28 9 years ago

Shrek is a MUCH better theme. I would not have a FG, but I do like Shrek. In either case it is not a very inspired design. The upper playfield gets old really fast and takes up a ton of space.

#29 9 years ago

I would take a Shrek over FG. For some reason I'm not into fart humor. Shrek is classic fun.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The only real difference between the two is that Meg has a coil (she bounces up and down when you hit her), but the Fiona toy is stationary. I feel like there might be something different about the way hits register on the Magic Mirror vs. the Beer Can - but it might just be the toy material that makes it feel different to me. Rules are the same, code works on either machine.

Code works fine, but there's minor differences. One of the character lamps is different, which makes Stewie/Donkey a bit harder. Also, Chicken Fight can be won and ends, whereas Wrestling just runs out the timer.

There are a few other nuances that makes FGUY better, biggest being the voices. Good custom pinball jokes from the original actors vs meh jokes from bad voice actors. Stewie's MB callouts are much shorter than Donkey's ... it gets painful listening to the EM voice-actor say the same wayyyy-too long jokes over and over. Also, TV Wizard Mode is *THE* best implementation of a hurryup wizard mode, period. The accompanying music and sounds on family guy just nail it. Perfection... that wizard mode is the one big thing keeping the game in my collection. Shrek has the same rules, but WTF on the laid-back music?? That's like something you'd hear putting your initials in, not at all proper background for hurryups!

Shrek was a programming exercise and a decent re-theming, but the original is the best.

#31 9 years ago

Bought Shrek because I preferred artwork and less made. I prefer callouts from FG so primarily use that code. Actually think FG is the funniest pin made. Occasionally swap the Shrek code back in for variety. You did good finding a Shrek in that range too.

#32 9 years ago

I never realized how crucial theme is (for me) until I played Shrek

It felt like I was betrayed & kicked in the balls. It felt like blasphemy. It felt like a bad trip in a sad alternate universe where a great game was turned into a gingerbread magic mirror annoying donkey with shitty Smashmouth music. I kept asking myself "what monster would do this to a Family Guy"

No way I'd settle for Shrek. I like Twilight Zone but if it were rethemed as Legally Blonde it would suck. I know Shrek & FGY are the same but they're not.

#33 9 years ago

Shrek any day love it will need to get a second one
I play it so much
Awsome topper

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I never realized how crucial theme is (for me) until I played Shrek
It felt like I was betrayed & kicked in the balls. It felt like blasphemy. It felt like a bad trip in a sad alternate universe where a great game was turned into a gingerbread magic mirror annoying donkey with shitty Smashmouth music. I kept asking myself "what monster would do this to a Family Guy"
No way I'd settle for Shrek. I like Twilight Zone but if it were rethemed as Legally Blonde it would suck. I know Shrek & FGY are the same but they're not.

Pretty much how I feel. I put in Shrek code in my FGY once and I think I maybe got through one game before I had to immediately change it back. Ugggh, I still have nightmares about it.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from no-extra-balls:

I would take a Shrek over FG. For some reason I'm not into fart humor. Shrek is classic fun.

But you do like burping humor?

Quoted from BackFlipper:

The topper I made

Wow, nice job! Could you post some more pics? It looks 3D, like a diorama.

Quoted from PW79:

I respectfully disagree, Shrek is a fun game. Don't get me wrong, I love FGY too. To me, they're two separate games because of the art, sound and music package. I think they did that pretty well, they really play like different games. Doesn't feel like a poor re-theme to me. I think, in a mid- to large sized collection it wouldn't even hurt to have 'em both. Just my opinion of course!

But to each their own I guess!

#36 9 years ago

I passed on the project Shrek. it needed a new left ramp, new DMD & lots of cleaning.

I instead bought their shopped, LED'd & 100% working Shrek for a few hundred more.

Pictures coming once I get it home.

Marcus

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

I passed on the project Shrek. it needed a new left ramp, new DMD & lots of cleaning.
I instead bought their shopped, LED'd & 100% working Shrek for a few hundred more.
Pictures coming once I get it home.
Marcus

Hey now. You're an all star!

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

I instead bought... Shrek

Ban notice sent!

#40 9 years ago

I miss my shrek ....it's such a great game .....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shrek-vs-family-guy-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.