Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by kwiKimart
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Played a Shrek tonight for the first time. Am I out of my mind or is this just a recycled Family Guy?

I swear its identical... any differences? I have only played Family Guy a few times, but I did not notice anything different.

#2 12 years ago

Yes, essentially the same in rules and layout. Cheapter that way to produce.

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from PaulyB18:

Played a Shrek tonight for the first time. Am I out of my mind or is this just a recycled Family Guy?
I swear its identical... any differences? I have only played Family Guy a few times, but I did not notice anything different.

Stern's way of screwing Pat Lawlor.

#4 12 years ago

Yes, Family Guy and Shrek are essentially the same machine, designed by the great Pat Lawlor. The reason for there being two games with an identical layout is probably because Family Guy is more geared towards the American market because (at the time) it had almost no presence on European television. Shrek on the other hand is very popular all over Europe. Stern did it before with Nascar (who knows Nascar in Europe?) and Formula One (very popular here).

I own a Family Guy and think it's a great game. After two years of owning it I decided to put the Shrek software in, just for fun. So I downloaded the Shrek software from the Stern website and programmed it into my game with the totally convenient usb stick and behold! I now own a Shrek too

Seriously, they ARE quite different games. FG is rude, obnoxious (but in a fun way); generally not for the weak-hearted - where Shrek is quite the contrary: kids will love it and parents will too.

I am one of the few who quite likes this concept. Use a design twice and slap different artwork/sound/music on them. Doubles the changes of a success! And for us collectors it's easy to have one game in your gameroom and switch (a la pinball 2000).

Now if only I could get a fully populated Shrek playfield plus backglass somewhere, I would be the happiest guy having two games instead of one for the same square footage -- uhm, square meters I mean ;-p

#5 12 years ago

Family Guy is a very mature/adult theme. Shrek captured the family/kids markets. I see them in Chuck E Cheeses a lot. That's part of the reason.

The Roms are interchangeable, so you can switch them up for a little variety now and again.

#6 12 years ago

fart multiball rocks

#7 12 years ago

Family guy is a fun pin. Sold mine and my kids miss it. May have to look for one.

#8 12 years ago

Family Guy was the first Dmd pin that I remember playing after a 25 year layoff!Great pin,I have not played Shrek.

#9 12 years ago

I own Family Guy. The game is good, but not great. However for me the theme really sets it apart. It's so well done, hilarious and has an absurd amount of voice quotes. I've owned the game almost 2 years now and there are quotes I've only heard once or twice.

In terms of game, it's a bit too much shoot the spinner shoot the TV scoop for me, but it's such a riot I love it.

#10 12 years ago

I got some extended playing time on a Family Guy a couple months ago. What a great pin, definitely is on my wanted list.

#11 12 years ago

Hasn't this topic been beaten to death already??

#12 12 years ago

"Hasn't this topic been beaten to death already??"

Practically every topic has been beaten to death on one pinball forum or another....especially LED's, I barf in my mouth a little every time I see that word hahahahah

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

especially LED's, I barf in my mouth a little every time I see that word hahahahah

Exactly, I'm happy with my regular TSPP lights, until they go out on me.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Practically every topic has been beaten to death on one pinball forum or another....especially LED's, I barf in my mouth a little every time I see that word hahahahah

The day topics stop being repeated is the day new interest in the hobby has died.

#15 12 years ago

Yep, Shrek and FG have the same layout. But Stern made a good move I reckon:

Shrek - Great with kids, universal theme, good in arcades, gets children into pinball.

Family Guy - Great with adults and pinball fans, great in a home collection, popular theme.

All in all, a good job. I wish stern would make seperate machines like this rather than 7-odd LE's of each game they make nowadays...

#16 12 years ago

I hated Shrek.. I just can't stand the voices.. I also hate the mini PF in both of these games.

#17 12 years ago

I don't personally care if topics get repeated, I was only responding sarcastically to kwiKimart ....

Oh and both games are awesome IMO

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I was only responding sarcastically to kwiKimart ....

Oh and both games are awesome IMO []

On the internet, it's always hard to tell if someone's serious or not, but thanks for cleaning that up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shrek-vs-family-guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.