9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Otaku
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

1974 Showtime EM Pinball Machine (4-player version of the 2-player "Dolphin" EM Pinball Machine also made in 1974) by Chicago Coin.

Hi all, bought this pin a few days ago and I'm running into my first problem with it.

Worked fine the first two days, went away for a few days (4-5), came back. Was too late to play it so I lifted up the playfield and just poked around, mainly on the up-side. Tinkering around, pushing the rollovers as previously a ball got stuck on one, and I lightly pushed on a few light sockets and checked the bulbs were in good as they were doing some flickering. Not really my issue anymore and I can sort that stuff out later, after this.

Turned game switch on, score motor constantly going, start button did nothing. 300 points & advance bonus relay firing every few seconds. Score sat at 00000 on backbox. (I reset it to that before I left so it previously sat at 00000 across all four players, thus I couldn't tell if they reset themselves today or not) Game did nothing else, 1000 bonus light lit and "all balls in pockets" light lit, and they were in the pockets as when I lifted the playfield they slide back into them as usual. Decided to look at the relay, made sure the advance switches weren't stuck or touching. Moved them a bit, pulled them apart a bit although I don't think it really did much. Went to the relay and noticed the first set of pins were touching, so I bent one back slightly so they were not touching. Turned game on, sat in silence as usual. I manually removed 2 of the 3 balls from the pockets to see if that would have done anything before I turned it back on this time, but I had trouble getting to the third ball so I just figured I'd quit that motive. Started the game, and realized I forgot to put the regular ball back in. No big deal, but the start button now starts the game and I heard the regular ball kick-out coil activate. 1000 bonus still on, and "all balls in pocket" light still on even though it successfully kicked out all three balls back to their original position when I pressed start as it should do. Every time I pressed the right flipper it would advance the bonus (flipped worked fine as well) one or a few times and after I put the ball back in and power-cycled and started a game to the same results (ball did indeed come out as planned), whenever I rolled over or activated something on the playfield it would advance bonus even if that particular area was not supposed to, again, once or multiple times. The game did drain the bonus lights when I started the game the second time (as when it adds the bonus to the score at the end of the game) but it didn't add any actual score to the backbox, aside from 1,000 points previously which I got from hitting something on the playfield with the ball I believe. Never took away the 1,000 bonus light. I shut it off, un-plugged it (I did all the relay and switch stuff un-plugged as well), and here I am. It may or may not have been caused by my tinkering but all the switches that night seemed to pop up fine, I didn't check the regular "advance" rollover switches, but I did check both 300 points & advance switches, both top and bottom, and they seem to work fine and are not stuck or touching constantly.

So I'm guessing the first two pins on the relay SHOULD actually be touching, and maybe the game started working again after I made sure the two switches were how they should be, and I'll just need to make the relay correct again? (Dust, dirt?) I could easily check this but I'm taking a break right now and I don't want to mess anything else up, so I'll wait for a more advanced opinion and guide.

This game is the 4-player version of Dolphin by Chicago Coin, made in the same year and they are very similar so it's very possible the schematics could work on this, that game (Dolphin, mine is Showtime) is the exact same AFAIK except it lacks 3-player or 4-player capability, so I'll link both games here as well.

Thanks so much.

Best regards,
Otaku.

#2 9 years ago

Tried to touch the relay again (not sure if it stayed), score reels now stops after a few spins after turning it on and all looks well, however when I start the game it likes to freak out again, right flipper still advances the bonus, actual advance rollover (orange ones) do absolutely nothing but make a chime go. Lifted up the playfield with the game in session (all balls removed) and it absolutely freaked out and made tons and tons of noise, freaked ME out a bit, lol. Not sure if you're not supposed to do that or if that helps point out what's wrong with it, maybe the vibration of the flippers is doing something now? I don't know. That's enough for the night. Made a video before I lifted the playfield, I'll post it tomorrow.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/showtime-acting-up-help-needed?tu=Otaku and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.