Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160310_101730_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160309_221526_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160309_221609_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160309_221515_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Recently acquired a project Showboat as part of a deal, didn't really check it out much at all before getting it home, discovered that that cabinet is completely different from what it should be. Normally this wouldn't surprise me at all as many of these older games have been repainted over the years, but what has me puzzled is this looks like a factory paint job, it just has that original paint feel to it. Couldn't find anything close to it in the IPDB, so I'm thinking possibly it's a sample cabinet.

Anyway, thought I would post some pics here, see if anyone has ever seen this particular paint job before.

IMG_20160309_221515_(resized).jpgIMG_20160309_221515_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160309_221609_(resized).jpgIMG_20160309_221609_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160309_221526_(resized).jpgIMG_20160309_221526_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

i got a GIGI that was the same way. it had the art of cover girl with the colors of gigi. it was done well because i just pulled the side rails on it and the colors are under the rails. i looked factory, but i think it was done afterwards. maybe and operator had it done because of damage or it was purchased from an operator and resdone to re sell. there are a few stories of this being done

#3 8 years ago

I have a Tropic Isle that's in a Flipper cab.to bad because the Flipper cab is in really nice shape.

Ted

#4 8 years ago

I have a "Rack a Ball" in an alternate cabinet. It has the same pattern and colors as "Slick Chick", but in the shallow cabinet.
BTW, what's the game next to the "Show Boat" with the crazy blue stripes on it? That doesn't look familiar either.

#5 8 years ago

In one of the other photos, it looks like a "Flipper Fair", but those stripes on the front aren't supposed to be there.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

In one of the other photos, it looks like a "Flipper Fair", but those stripes on the front aren't supposed to be there.

It is a Flipper Fair that I just got a few weeks ago, the blue stripes are on both sides and on the front, someone decided it looked better than the plain white, it doesn't!! Fortunately it's a relatively easy fix as cabinet repaints go.

#7 8 years ago

The large red with small blue stripe is similar to the factory set up. Does it look like a factory application? Gottlieb did do 1 off cabinet painting by request. For employees, distributors, and suppliers. Think that DirtFlipper had stated it has happened. Is it an early production or Sample Game?

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I have a "Rack a Ball" in an alternate cabinet. It has the same pattern and colors as "Slick Chick", but in the shallow cabinet.
BTW, what's the game next to the "Show Boat" with the crazy blue stripes on it? That doesn't look familiar either.

my gigi is the deep cab with the art from cover girl with the smaller cab
i have it stripped and i can not see anywhere were it looks like a repaint.

20160310_101730_(resized).jpg20160310_101730_(resized).jpg

#9 8 years ago

I'm likely about to buy a Gottlieb Melody that's actually in a Sing-Along cabinet. Trying to decide if I should do a repaint, or keep a relatively nice original paint-job and not worry about it. Since those two games were basically mirror images of each other, it's not as noticeable.

Would love input from the group.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

I'm likely about to buy a Gottlieb Melody that's actually in a Sing-Along cabinet. Trying to decide if I should do a repaint, or keep a relatively nice original paint-job and not worry about it. Since those two games were basically mirror images of each other, it's not as noticeable.

i would leave it, i like the lighter color cab better. melody was a bit to dark IMO

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Yeah, I would just leave it original. It's just the colors that are inverted. Are you sure it's not an export model perhaps?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, I would just leave it original. It's just the colors that are inverted. Are you sure it's not an export model perhaps?

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1127&picno=4890 "Harmony" is an Italian export add-a-ball version, but it has the colors of "Sing Along" on the cabinet and playfield. Maybe the one you're buying had a bad original backglass and someone put a "Melody" backglass in it.
It wouldn't really work though if that was the case, because although it's an add-a-ball, it doesn't have the 1-10 along the bottom to indicate the number of balls to play.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

The large red with small blue stripe is similar to the factory set up. Does it look like a factory application? Gottlieb did do 1 off cabinet painting by request. For employees, distributors, and suppliers. Think that DirtFlipper had stated it has happened. Is it an early production or Sample Game?

It does look factory to me, which is why I was curious about what it might be. Sounds like it is possible that it was done by Gottlieb as a sample or for a special purpose, kind of cool! Now to get it working and see if I like the game, the playfield is in exceptional shape, unfortunately the backglass is very poor and it isn't available from any of the usual sources

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1127&picno=4890 "Harmony" is an Italian export add-a-ball version, but it has the colors of "Sing Along" on the cabinet and playfield. Maybe the one you're buying had a bad original backglass and someone put a "Melody" backglass in it.
It wouldn't really work though if that was the case, because although it's an add-a-ball, it doesn't have the 1-10 along the bottom to indicate the number of balls to play.

Pretty positive it's a Melody in a Sing Along cabinet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hedgesville, WV
1,150 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Birmingham, AL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/showboat-wedgehead-with-a-different-cabinet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.