You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220811_190506 (resized).jpg
20230628_101644 (resized).jpg
20231208_182709 (resized).jpg
20240311_201949 (resized).jpg
20240416_191224 (resized).jpg
natural-swimming-pool-gary-mcdonald-and-son-inc-img~82a124fc05c41a93_14-1650-1-f9dd0d7 (resized).jpg
20240423_090403 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
DA9A7E17-C8D1-4EDB-8D67-33B8D9322B5E (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
CFC26C57-9495-42C7-B623-541058C19027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3082 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3080 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3081 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
There are 1,820 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 37.
#251 2 years ago

Push mower
1/2 acre plus weedwack

#252 2 years ago

A little estrogen bridal shower happening at the top of my driveway. Please ladies off the grass.

20210529_113838 (resized).jpg20210529_113838 (resized).jpg
#253 2 years ago

You need to do some edging.

#254 2 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Who wants to share their stats? Total area mowed and method used (push mow, rider, tractor, weedwack only, etc)
I push mow .34 acres which I would guess about average

I have ~1.5 acres and currently mow w/a JD E140 (48"). Several years ago, the riding mower I had at the time wasn't running, so I mowed with a self propelled mower...that was a work out!

Weedwhack every time. Just got a Worx GT last year (wanted to try it), but have a gas Toro too for the woods and edging.

Spot spray weeds maybe every two weeks or so with a 2 gal pump sprayer. I do keep a little hand squirt sprayer bottle handy if I occasionally spot a weed or two.

Ditto above, but for the 'kill everything' stuff.

I also add the blue dye to the liquids too, that really helps to see what you sprayed and what you missed.

I have a 15 gal tow sprayer, but don't use that very often (can't have any wind).

Anal retentive about drainage too.

#255 2 years ago

A holy grail of Lawn collectors ...
I present to you a slice of vintage world cup soccer Final game grass.

20210529_171958 (resized).jpg20210529_171958 (resized).jpg20210529_172013 (resized).jpg20210529_172013 (resized).jpg
#256 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

A holy grail of Lawn collectors ...
I present to you a slice of vintage world cup soccer Final game grass. [quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice

#257 2 years ago

A lot better than it was 5 years ago. Thin area is getting thicker. Now if only the same tricks worked with the hair on my head

203B5E38-592D-417D-8621-072775183936 (resized).jpeg203B5E38-592D-417D-8621-072775183936 (resized).jpeg
#258 2 years ago

Very nice lawn and tasteful planting.

1 week later
#259 2 years ago

Way too dry to cut for the time being.

#260 2 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Way too dry to cut for the time being.

What's with Colorado river system drying up now at 38% or so capacity? Pics are sobering.

#261 2 years ago

I was told to keep an eye on that dam but nothing happened. You are right that water level has dramatically fell.

#262 2 years ago

I'm always right Chad

#263 2 years ago

Issue in a lot of places. I live in SE Michigan. The wetland/pond directly behind me is down several feet in level the last 2.5 years. It's dropped 6 inches in the last 2 months alone. May used to be rain literally every day with some torrential rains. We got two days of good solid rains last month and a few of brief showers.

#264 2 years ago

This is my back back lawn, and the next time the pressure washer's out,
she needs a little rinsing, but dollar for dollar, I'll tell Ya.

IMG_0447 (resized).JPGIMG_0447 (resized).JPGIMG_0480 (resized).JPGIMG_0480 (resized).JPG
#265 2 years ago

If you're tired of replanting K31 and watching it die every year, as I used to, you might want to try Centipede. You won't see much of anything for the first year but eventually it chokes out everything as it is a runner type grass. Shown is a runner heading for the woods, a 2yr old lawn with Centipede edging out what's there, and a 5yr old lawn. It must be 70 to 80 degrees to germinate and don't expect anything much the first year.

PXL_20210614_160647836 (resized).jpgPXL_20210614_160647836 (resized).jpgPXL_20210614_160703064 (resized).jpgPXL_20210614_160703064 (resized).jpgPXL_20210614_161100309 (resized).jpgPXL_20210614_161100309 (resized).jpg
#266 2 years ago

I'll take a Kentucky Blue/fescue mix all day. Great barefoot grass, nice dark green color and the mix works in all but the densest of shades. As with any lawn, light dethatching in the Spring, coring and overseeding will keep it thick, luscious and the envy of your neighbors.

#267 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

This is my back back lawn, and the next time the pressure washer's out,
she needs a little rinsing, but dollar for dollar, I'll tell Ya.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Your property is gorgeous!

#268 2 years ago

Small but perfectly formed With two young kids, a low maintenance garden they can ride their bikes round safely is needed.

Unfortunately we don't have the same amount of space as our American cousins.

FB_IMG_1607962458202 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1607962458202 (resized).jpg
#269 2 years ago

That's about the size of a typical, American, suburban, garden/tool shed.

Joking aside, I love the aesthetic of the place, very Philip Johnson-esque.

Looks like the perfect space to hold a nice party on a sunny day.

#270 2 years ago

Man... you lawn guys are going to hate me.... I've been ripping mine up and replacing it with clover

I also have a 1/4 of an acer section of my lawn I stopped mowing and have just started to let nature take it's course.

140661 (resized).jpeg140661 (resized).jpeg141835 (resized).jpeg141835 (resized).jpeg
#271 2 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

Small but perfectly formed With two young kids, a low maintenance garden they can ride their bikes round safely is needed.
Unfortunately we don't have the same amount of space as our American cousins.
[quoted image]

So is that your house?

#272 2 years ago

I hate St. Augustine but it can look nice when it's not suffering from Drought, Chinch bugs, Brown patch, dollar leaf spot, grubs, overwatering, and weeds

20200417_163750 (resized).jpg20200417_163750 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210615-111703_Messages (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210615-111703_Messages (resized).jpg
#273 2 years ago

Juat saw this post and snapped a quick shot out the back window. Look close....

20210615_101213 (resized).jpg20210615_101213 (resized).jpg
#274 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I hate St. Augustine but it can look nice when it's not suffering from Drought, Chinch bugs, Brown patch, dollar leaf spot, grubs, overwatering, and weeds

Wow, beautiful place!

#275 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Love your pool setup. Was it a kit or drop in shell by chance that you could send me some info on or was it a local company that built it by hand? We are getting ready to put one in and yours is basicly what we are looking to do.

#276 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Juat saw this post and snapped a quick shot out the back window. Look close....
[quoted image]

I see deer,

#277 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I see your lawn is cut high. Well done.

#278 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Love your pool setup. Was it a kit or drop in shell by chance that you could send me some info on or was it a local company that built it by hand? We are getting ready to put one in and yours is basicly what we are looking to do.

Funny you mention we want a pool but waiting list Is 2021-22

#279 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

It was a gunite shot rebar pool then pebble sheen applied over gunite, local company here in Texas

Not to detract from thread but since it destroyed any lawn I had, thought it was appropriate to show the damage a pool install can do...Literally becomes a warzone for 8 months until I could get regraded, sprinklers and drainage installed, (Necessity in Texas with the clay) and properly resodded.

20170705_162422 (resized).jpg20170705_162422 (resized).jpg20170706_203559 (resized).jpg20170706_203559 (resized).jpg20170708_094206 (resized).jpg20170708_094206 (resized).jpg20170921_144540 (resized).jpg20170921_144540 (resized).jpg20170920_135147 (resized).jpg20170920_135147 (resized).jpg20171105_174650 (resized).jpg20171105_174650 (resized).jpg20170717_131308 (resized).jpg20170717_131308 (resized).jpg20170717_130947 (resized).jpg20170717_130947 (resized).jpg20170712_190335 (resized).jpg20170712_190335 (resized).jpg
#280 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Funny you mention we want a pool but waiting list Is 2021

Ill do most the work myself like digging the hole, running electric, any concrete work, and if its a kit ill assemble it myself but just havent taken the step to buy anything yet. I have heard theres long waiting lists on getting pools done now but I just really need to make a decision on what type of pool we should get. Wife wants it to have a room that opens around it so thats got to be factored in also so we can use the pool year round. Got to keep the wife happy you know how it is.

To stay on topic Ill post pictures of my fleet of mowers I use to cut my 3 acres tomorrow when I mow.

#281 2 years ago

Amazing pics. ill take a pic later of the spot I'm looking at for pool I'm close to the lake and water table low

#282 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I see your lawn is cut high. Well done.

I wish my neighbors did the same...I love cutting my own at the proper height...they both believe in astroturf looking lawns....and it shows

#283 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

It was a gunite shot rebar pool then pebble sheen applied over gunite, local company here in Texas
Not to detract from thread but since it destroyed any lawn I had, thought it was appropriate to show the damage a pool install can do...Literally becomes a warzone for 8 months until I could get regraded, sprinklers and drainage installed, (Necessity in Texas with the clay) and properly resodded.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for info man, pool looks GREAT!!!

#284 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Thanks for info man, pool looks GREAT!!!

Sure thing and thank you.

#285 2 years ago

POOL TALK IS ALLOWED ON THIS THREAD

#286 2 years ago

Pic of area where kidney shaped pool will be..
On the small size..

20210615_162040 (resized).jpg20210615_162040 (resized).jpg
#287 2 years ago

What do you guys use for weeds? This is my fourth summer in this house. Year one I used Roundup, which is effective, but also stays a long time in the ground and over time works its way out further than you sprayed it and kills the grass next to the beds.

Year two I used Weed B Gon, which is also a chemical treatment but supposedly less hazardous to both grass and people/pets, and the results were decent, not great. However, it's main ingredient, 2,4-D, has recently been put on a WHO advisory list, but plenty of agencies say it's safe. One of our dogs got cancer and sadly died from it last year. Are either of these chemicals responsible? Impossible to say, of course, but I'd rather not roll the dice again having three dogs currently, two of them puppies.

Last year I used one of those long blow torches that hook up to a propane tank, which is fun of course, but it takes *forever* as you have to hold the torch over every weed for about 30 seconds to make sure it's dead at the root. If you have 10-20 weeds, it's great. If you have hundreds, it's not an option. It's also not very fun to use in the hot summer, obviously.

This year I'm using a rototiller attachment to my Ryobi 40v multitool, and that has mixed results as well. Works great if all you have is soil and weeds to work with, but the beds I'm trying to weed have lots of trees and bushes, which means tons of roots. This thing is tough enough on the back after a while, but getting caught on roots, which then sharply jerks the machine forward, is murder on the back after an hour.

The best solution is one day laying down mesh over these beds then putting stone on top, but I'm not ready for that project this year. Hand picking isn't really an option considering there's four large beds plus an entire paver block patio where weeds come through the gaps.

#288 2 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

What do you guys use for weeds? This is my fourth summer in this house. Year one I used Roundup, which is effective, but also stays a long time in the ground and over time works its way out further than you sprayed it and kills the grass next to the beds.
Year two I used Weed B Gon, which is also a chemical treatment but supposedly less hazardous to both grass and people/pets, and the results were decent, not great. However, it's main ingredient, 2,4-D, has recently been put on a WHO advisory list, but plenty of agencies say it's safe. One of our dogs got cancer and sadly died from it last year. Are either of these chemicals responsible? Impossible to say, of course, but I'd rather not roll the dice again having three dogs currently, two of them puppies.
Last year I used one of those long blow torches that hook up to a propane tank, which is fun of course, but it takes *forever* as you have to hold the torch over every weed for about 30 seconds to make sure it's dead at the root. If you have 10-20 weeds, it's great. If you have hundreds, it's not an option. It's also not very fun to use in the hot summer, obviously.
This year I'm using a rototiller attachment to my Ryobi 40v multitool, and that has mixed results as well. Works great if all you have is soil and weeds to work with, but the beds I'm trying to weed have lots of trees and bushes, which means tons of roots. This thing is tough enough on the back after a while, but getting caught on roots, which then sharply jerks the machine forward, is murder on the back after an hour.
The best solution is one day laying down mesh over these beds then putting stone on top, but I'm not ready for that project this year. Hand picking isn't really an option considering there's four large beds plus an entire paver block patio where weeds come through the gaps.

A couple of things I do for weeds:

1) 2, 4-D: It's my 'go to' weed killer, but I just spot spray, so I don't mind using it. Occasionally, I might use a hose-end sprayer or a 15 gal tank to hit areas that gets out of control by the woods (haven't done it for years). Plus I don't like putting weed killer down in areas that don't have weeds (don't want to burden the bluegrass unnecessarily).

2) I mentioned Tenacity earlier in the thread (post #165) which kills weeds by stopping photosynthesis (weed turns white and dies). It can take care of some weeds 2,4-D doesn't attack (like Johnson grass - i.e. what I would call 'barnyard' grass). Catch is it takes WEEKS to work in some cases, likely needs a second coat 2 weeks later, and is expensive (but not really in the long run since you barely use any for a gallon of water). Very impressive stuff and you can even seed in the same area at the same time. It's just not a 'spray and forget' like 2,4-D. I've had my bottle going on 3 years now and it still works.

A side note - get some cheap blue dye at a farm/garden store - really helps to see what you sprayed and what you missed. Blue disappears in a day or so, doesn't stain. And a couple of drops of Dawn helps too - acts as a wetting agent.

I should also add I don't do Weed 'n Feed fertilizer. Kind of a waste since the active ingredient has to land on the weed, and ideally the weed needs to be wet.

#289 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

A couple of things I do for weeds:
1) 2, 4-D: It's my 'go to' weed killer, but I just spot spray, so I don't mind using it. Occasionally, I might use a hose-end sprayer or a 15 gal tank to hit areas that gets out of control by the woods (haven't done it for years). Plus I don't like putting weed killer down in areas that don't have weeds (don't want to burden the bluegrass unnecessarily).
2) I mentioned Tenacity earlier in the thread (post #165) which kills weeds by stopping photosynthesis (weed turns white and dies). It can take care of some weeds 2,4-D doesn't attack (like Johnson grass - i.e. what I would call 'barnyard' grass). Catch is it takes WEEKS to work in some cases, likely needs a second coat 2 weeks later, and is expensive (but not really in the long run since you barely use any for a gallon of water). Very impressive stuff and you can even seed in the same area at the same time. It's just not a 'spray and forget' like 2,4-D. I've had my bottle going on 3 years now and it still works.
A side note - get some cheap blue dye at a farm/garden store - really helps to see what you sprayed and what you missed. Blue disappears in a day or so, doesn't stain. And a couple of drops of Dawn helps too - acts as a wetting agent.
I should also add I don't do Weed 'n Feed fertilizer. Kind of a waste since the active ingredient has to land on the weed, and ideally the weed needs to be wet.

Quoted from VALIS666:

You are cutting too short. Topsoil ,over seed and water. It's that simple. Avoid the "honey you need to cut the lawn" my wife seemed more Interested in a short lawn but has realised I was right. Choke the weeds with kentucky bluegrass. It may take years before it finally catches in certain areas.

#290 2 years ago

Keep your push mower wheels at the highest setting.

#291 2 years ago

Because I'm close to the lake and my water table is low...my brother in law said a fiberglass pool may rise? I ask the masses..what would I put cement with a crap load of tree roots around me? Am I wrong? Would the fiberglass not repel the water better ..Haven't had an expert to price yet..we just decided..I need answers

#292 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

You are cutting too short. Topsoil ,over seed and water. It's that simple. Avoid the "honey you need to cut the lawn" my wife seemed more Interested in a short lawn but has realised I was right. Choke the weeds with kentucky bluegrass. It may take years before it finally catches in certain areas.

I mow at 4"! Weeds are just part of living in the country...

#293 2 years ago

I appreciate the info @cdnpinbacon, but I was talking about plain old weeds (and errant grass from overseeding this year) in a bed/island/whatever you might call it, not mixed in with the lawn. I took some photos just now. I have a lot of islands like this around the property with roots running through most of them, which is what's stopping me with the tiller:

PXL_20210615_232540275.jpgPXL_20210615_232540275.jpg

You can see where I went through with the tiller a few days ago and where I didn't. I also didn't get all the weeds/grass because as it churns dirt, it covers up weeds and you end up missing them. A cool tool, but not great for my weeding needs. Should come in very handy next spring though when seeding and if I ever do a vegetable garden.

Also this paver block patio:

PXL_20210615_231243060.jpgPXL_20210615_231243060.jpg

Notice in the background a set of concrete steps nearly disintegrated by 70+ pinballs thunking up and down them.

mbwalker I like your suggestions. Would you use 2,4-D in my situation or Tenacity?

#294 2 years ago

On that paver patio …mix glyphosate and prodiamine and spray the entire area and you shouldn’t see anymore weeds this year.

#295 2 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

I appreciate the info cdnpinbacon, but I was talking about plain old weeds (and errant grass from overseeding this year) in a bed/island/whatever you might call it, not mixed in with the lawn. I took some photos just now. I have a lot of islands like this around the property with roots running through most of them, which is what's stopping me with the tiller:
[quoted image]
You can see where I went through with the tiller a few days ago and where I didn't. I also didn't get all the weeds/grass because as it churns dirt, it covers up weeds and you end up missing them. A cool tool, but not great for my weeding needs. Should come in very handy next spring though when seeding and if I ever do a vegetable garden.
Also this paver block patio:
[quoted image]
Notice in the background a set of concrete steps nearly disintegrated by 70+ pinballs thunking up and down them.
mbwalker I like your suggestions. Would you use 2,4-D in my situation or Tenacity?

If you're just trying to kill everything, then something w/Glyphosate in it (which is in most 'kills grass and everything else' stuff). But stay a distance away from the grass since it might (will) leach into the lawn. Same as what eagle18 said. You were worried about the dogs: Perhaps on the patio put the Glyphosate down, maybe give it a couple of days to get to the roots, then weed whack it so the dog can't eat any grass.

Just ordinary weeds - then 2, 4-D since it's cheap and usually works great on a LOT of different weeds.

The Tenacity stuff: I bought that specifically for the Johnson grass since 2,4-D doesn't kill it. There might be other things it kills better than 2,4-D, but I think in your case the 2,4-D and Glyphosate has you covered.

By the tree: You always could use Glyphosate for most of the areas, then maybe 2,4-D closer to the edge of the lawn so you don't hurt the grass.

Tenacity in action (pretty neat stuff):

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

A sidebar: cdnpin is right - One of the best ways not to have weeds is to mow high and have a healthy lawn.

#296 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Keep your push mower wheels at the highest setting.

This ^^^

Healthy thick high lawn chokes out the weeds.

By the way, your space for the pool looks amazing

#297 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Your property is gorgeous!

Thanks. That's out-out back. Can't see it from the back lawn..
You wouldn't believe what it looked like when I first bought the property..

#298 2 years ago

I’ll play…. Yard was Hydroseeded in 2014 it’s come a long way. Amazing how starting fresh, keeping weeds out and regularly watering really helps.

8DA8E286-454D-4C97-BA63-B2A829126B99 (resized).jpeg8DA8E286-454D-4C97-BA63-B2A829126B99 (resized).jpegF0376EF3-D33B-4093-B969-740E93801243 (resized).jpegF0376EF3-D33B-4093-B969-740E93801243 (resized).jpeg

#299 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Cast iron self propelled tractor lawn sprinkler.
Climbs hills easy and does a great job.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I bought one those from CL a year ago and absolutely love it. I was moving sprinklers four time to cover the area. No more, just set the path for the tractor and it covers the whole back yard. I don't rely on the stop though. Setting a timer and keeping an eye on her from time to time to make sure didn't jump ship is required. The great thing is the tractor moves so slow the dogs leave it alone.

#300 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So is that your house?

Ha-ha, no that is the pin shed!

Roughly 4.5m x 7.0m (15ft x 23ft)

There are 1,820 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-lawn/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.