You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220811_190506 (resized).jpg
20230628_101644 (resized).jpg
20231208_182709 (resized).jpg
20240311_201949 (resized).jpg
20240416_191224 (resized).jpg
natural-swimming-pool-gary-mcdonald-and-son-inc-img~82a124fc05c41a93_14-1650-1-f9dd0d7 (resized).jpg
20240423_090403 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
DA9A7E17-C8D1-4EDB-8D67-33B8D9322B5E (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
CFC26C57-9495-42C7-B623-541058C19027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3082 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3080 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3081 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
There are 1,820 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 37.
#151 2 years ago
Quoted from Sluggo39:

I read the title of this thread and got nervous about opening it

Maybe if it said, Show us your bush

#152 2 years ago

Thread lock teetered once all ready dirk!

#153 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinz19:

Just thought I’d share my 15 acre lawn in Western Australia
[quoted image]

Too bad a Lawn of the year candidate ...but please explain ..is that a dirt bike track in the back of picture ? If so ...that's ok

#154 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Best thing I see is your awesome dog. cut short and patchy lawn.

#155 2 years ago

A few risqué lawn photos of me.

IMG_4664 (resized).jpgIMG_4664 (resized).jpgIMG_4666 (2) (resized).jpgIMG_4666 (2) (resized).jpg
#156 2 years ago

Is that your pose when you find out you have a family event? I see clover. Better get on top of that.

#157 2 years ago

Love your lawn? Twerk it.

IMG_4668 (resized).jpgIMG_4668 (resized).jpg
#158 2 years ago

Fyi im holding a vape. ..I have all my fingers.

#159 2 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Great topic. Here's my story. We moved into this house in Dec 1999 so being winter time we didn't see much of the yard what with the snow and quite frankly didn't care, we were just happy to have a huge house and the basement was all mine.
Come spring 2000 I got my first look at the dead lawn with giant oaks that continued to ruin the grass for the next 18 years with leaves and sticks that never stopped making a mess until I finally said I'd had it and we had 13 trees taken out in the fall of 2017, stumps and all. Next it was time for underground sprinklers to be installed the following spring, forty yards of topsoil dirt brought in, seeded it all and it's starting to look pretty decent now. I can now say that we went from having the worst looking lawn on the street to being in the top four in my opinion. It's still got a ways to go but it's filling in pretty good over all and is a huge improvement over what it was for years.
John
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hey, I recognize that house from a road trip in 2019! And I got the blue shirt to prove it!

#160 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

The diagonal cut controversy been debated by grass cutting clubs for a long time.

I think the tip is to mow differently each time, especially w/a riding mower in order to keep from getting wheel indentations in the yard.

#161 2 years ago

Agreed. North south then east west....would you like to be cut diagonally ?

#162 2 years ago

I use to mow old ladies yard when I was a kid...and they were picky!! Ended up pretty much mowing an entire city block, and each old widow wanted a nicer lawn than all the other widows on the block. Meaning...I was stuck doing all the work. That work ethic (having a nice yard) never left me.

Fast forward to 2021. Finally retired and really enjoy taking care of the yard even more so. A lot more relaxing when you don't have to worry about going into work.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#163 2 years ago

Gorgeous lawn..thanks for sharing!

#164 2 years ago

Very nice edging work as well.

#165 2 years ago

For all the yard geeks in this thread: Anyone that struggles with what I use to call 'barn yard' grass (thick grass that tends to grow in patches, maybe it's Johnson grass?) that weed killer just won't kill...try Tenacity. This is amazing stuff. It doesn't kill via a poison, it stops photosynthesis. Won't attack the typical grass. Being in the country, I've struggled with that problem for a decade. Tenacity is finally getting it under control. You can even apply it over seeds.

A few catches tho:

1) Expensive, but you only need a teaspoon/gallon
2) Very slow to kill the problem plant (i.e. many weeks)
3) Usually needs a 2nd application
4) Dying plants turn white...of course, since it stops photosynthesis.

https://www.greencastonline.com/labels/tenacity

https://www.amazon.com/s

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
You can see it working here:

#166 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Very nice edging work as well.

Thanks! My neighbor has a side business, putting in the concrete edging. There was 4-5 guys working a solid day, really working up a sweat. They mix concrete and shovel it into some gizmo that spits out the desired shape. Essentially like making a curb. They slice seams every so often and stain/seal.

I think there's over 300 ft. when all said and done.

Then everyday after work I would get a load (1/2 yard) of split river rock. Took about 35 loads. But no more mulch...ever!

#167 2 years ago

How important is edging the sidewalk? I have an edger that I used to intall an invisible dog fence. I tried on the sidewalk and it was just throwing sparks and didn't work well for intended use. I just hit the edge with my weed eater.

#168 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

How important is edging the sidewalk? I have an edger that I used to intall an invisible dog fence. I tried on the sidewalk and it was just throwing sparks and didn't work well for intended use. I just hit the edge with my weed eater.

Are you not keeping the blade perpendicular to the sidewalk or maybe going too deep?? I've seen that myself, but it more of an exception than the norm. Keep in mind, the edger blades do wear out.

Once I use the edger, then the weed-whacker keeps it in decent shape for quite a while. I maybe use the edger once or twice a year.

Is this the first time edging? You might just have just so much crud there that you can't really see where to edge? If so, try a flat shovel to get rid on some of the buildup. Edging for the very first time can be a little rough, but smooth sailing afterwards.

#169 2 years ago

Edging should always be angled. Very impressed!

#170 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Depends on the cougar traffic that walks by your property

#171 2 years ago

Most just want to see the beef of your lawn.

#172 2 years ago

They may walk with canes but I’m popular with the ladies.

#173 2 years ago
7500A407-F616-4051-B428-5124190A188C (resized).jpeg7500A407-F616-4051-B428-5124190A188C (resized).jpeg
#174 2 years ago

Awesome pic ! Lookin good!

#175 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Thanks, its my honor to keep it up. 50,000 square foot building with a lot of moving parts!
Lot of history here.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! How about some more of the story?

#176 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

the grass Edging should always be angled as well.As I see,. Very impressed!

#177 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Agreed. North south then east west....would you like to be cut diagonally ?

Actually, it depends on how much time I have.

N/S'ish (perpendicular & parallel to the house) if I'm in a hurry.
E/W'ish to cut somewhat diagonal to the house if I have time...

But it's really just to avoid making ruts in the yard from the tires going over the same spot all the time.

#178 2 years ago

East-west Is your dominant cut. Ok,, not in that camp, N/S for me.

#179 2 years ago

The lady (and her hub) at the rural post office has one of these:

Not sure of the exact model number. It runs everyday since it can't plow thru the thick stuff, so it only cuts a little bit off everyday.

I actually drove by her house to check out her yard, not too shabby. I remember watching videos about it, rather cool.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/robotic-lawn-mowers/

#180 2 years ago

1st quarter of the moon phase is very ideal for planting sod. “Called moon of the light”

#181 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The lady (and her hub) at the rural post office has one of these:
Not sure of the exact model number. It runs everyday since it can't plow thru the thick stuff, so it only cuts a little bit off everyday.
I actually drove by her house to check out her yard, not too shabby. I remember watching videos about it, rather cool.
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/robotic-lawn-mowers/
[quoted image]

2.4 inches seems a little low for max height?

#182 2 years ago

cdnpinbacon is now the official pinside head groundskeeper

#183 2 years ago

I have 130 acres of turf to maintain on a daily basis.

5934EFEF-CDA6-4387-99A3-BCF8DA34B137 (resized).jpeg5934EFEF-CDA6-4387-99A3-BCF8DA34B137 (resized).jpeg
#184 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

2.4 inches seems a little low for max height?

I just grabbed a screen shot, don't know what model they have.

#185 2 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

[quoted image]

You have your own full size golf course? Sweet! LOL

#186 2 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

[quoted image]

Looks beautiful! seed of choice?

#187 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Looks beautiful ...seed of choice?

#188 2 years ago

Lol. Golf Course Superintendent. No seed. Bermuda grass. Your bluegrass looks great. Only does well here up in the mountains. Can’t survive near the coast.

#189 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Anyone recognise this? [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Try these (I haven't): https://backgarden.org/plant-identification-apps/

#190 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Are you not keeping the blade perpendicular to the sidewalk or maybe going too deep?? I've seen that myself, but it more of an exception than the norm. Keep in mind, the edger blades do wear out.
Once I use the edger, then the weed-whacker keeps it in decent shape for quite a while. I maybe use the edger once or twice a year.
Is this the first time edging? You might just have just so much crud there that you can't really see where to edge? If so, try a flat shovel to get rid on some of the buildup. Edging for the very first time can be a little rough, but smooth sailing afterwards.

I did have it low, so maybe that was the problem. The soil was also wet, which I dealt with the whole time puttin in the invisible fence because it kept getting clogged.

#191 2 years ago

Cpl more tips..

Flag your lawn when you see problem spots so it drives you crazy to see the flag , thus speeding up the repair.

Pick your hose up! ..This is what happens when you don't.

20210520_121926 (resized).jpg20210520_121926 (resized).jpg20210520_121939 (resized).jpg20210520_121939 (resized).jpg
#192 2 years ago

Hopefully the snow is finished for the year. It is finally warming up, the water temp will be low 80s by the 4th of July.

yard pic (resized).jpgyard pic (resized).jpg
#193 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I did have it low, so maybe that was the problem. The soil was also wet, which I dealt with the whole time puttin in the invisible fence because it kept getting clogged.

The wet soil really makes it hard. Dry soil just turns to dust or fine dirt and you're sort of done w/it. Doesn't apply to your original 'sparks' comment - that's likely the blade just hitting the concrete or a stone, you'll just have to practice a bit more. If you have a ton of grass overhanging the walk - all the grass strands/roots make it hard too. A straight shovel might be better to cut trough all the initial stuff, and might not be as nearly as bad as it sounds. Once and done, and likely faster than if you're overwhelming the edger.

Electric or gas edger?

Back to your 'sparks' comment...if you do have a lot of grass overhanging the walk, then I'm guessing the blade isn't even finding the sidewalk edge...maybe just hitting the top of the sidewalk?

#194 2 years ago

Here's my rental property in Hocking Hills.
Rosewood Drone Photos (8) (resized).jpgRosewood Drone Photos (8) (resized).jpg

Current yard during my daughter's birthday party.
PXL_20210515_190447682 (resized).jpgPXL_20210515_190447682 (resized).jpg

Future yard is an empty lot, about to break ground on a new house!
Yes I'm crazy .. I have 3 mortgages.

#195 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The wet soil really makes it hard. Dry soil just turns to dust or fine dirt and you're sort of done w/it. Doesn't apply to your original 'sparks' comment - that's likely the blade just hitting the concrete or a stone, you'll just have to practice a bit more. If you have a ton of grass overhanging the walk - all the grass strands/roots make it hard too. A straight shovel might be better to cut trough all the initial stuff, and might not be as nearly as bad as it sounds. Once and done, and likely faster than if you're overwhelming the edger.
Electric or gas edger?
Back to your 'sparks' comment...if you do have a lot of grass overhanging the walk, then I'm guessing the blade isn't even finding the sidewalk edge...maybe just hitting the top of the sidewalk?

No, it was on edge of sidewalk, but you are right; sparks were from rubbing against the concrete. I was trying to follow the sidewalk as a guide. After a couple feet I realized I need to hold the elecric fince 6 inches from the sidewalk to keep the dogs from getting to close to the walk. Electric is what I have. I have to admit, mine looks fine without the edge, but when I walk by a house that edged the sidewalk I think, damn that dude cares; it looks good.

#196 2 years ago

It took me 6 months to get the new Dewalt cordless blower when they first came out-(because of the demand they were back ordered for months).

Well it was well worth the wait and is one of the best purchases I ever made. Can't believe people still use corded blowers. Do yourself a favor and get a cordless blower-they are the shit!
Dewalt cordless blower (resized).pngDewalt cordless blower (resized).png

#197 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

It took me 6 months to get the new Dewalt cordless blower when they first came out-(because of the demand they were back ordered for months).
Well it was well worth the wait and is one of the best purchases I ever made. Can't believe people still use corded blowers. Do yourself a favor and get a cordless blower-they are the shit!
[quoted image]

Get the weed eater and hedge trimmer too.

#198 2 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

Get the weed eater and hedge trimmer too.

I want them too but have some newer Stihl gas one's that work great still. Need to sell them on CL and go cordless, I am tired of mixing oil/gas and crap. I swear by my Honda mower but the new battery powered mowers have been making huge strides. Still love my Honda-it will be hard to let go and go battery.

#199 2 years ago
Quoted from Tazdingo:

Hopefully the snow is finished for the year. It is finally warming up, the water temp will be low 80s by the 4th of July.
[quoted image]

Gorgeous. Nice cut.

#200 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

[quoted image]

Sidebar: I also use my cordless blower (not a Dewalt) to dry off the car after a hand wash. Great for blowing all the water out of the nooks and crannies, rims too. Then a quick cotton towel dry.

Back to lawns.

There are 1,820 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-lawn/page/4?hl=heryworm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.