IMG_20230914_151306928_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20230611_154227 (resized).jpg
IMG_2340 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1632 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1633 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1511 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,802 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 37.
#751 1 year ago

More trips to the compost site...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#752 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

[quoted image]

More from the compost site...I think this gizmo is what turns wood into mulch.

#753 1 year ago

5CC408D7-A83C-4749-81EB-1C795622F8BF (resized).jpeg5CC408D7-A83C-4749-81EB-1C795622F8BF (resized).jpeg

Currently grilling at the back deck.

#754 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

More from the compost site...I think this gizmo is what turns wood into mulch.
[quoted image]

I would pay to operate that heavy machinery for an hour.

#755 1 year ago

Got a frog chilllin on my lawn.

#756 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

[quoted image]

Did you not return with free garden mulch?

#757 1 year ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Got a frog chilllin on my lawn.
[quoted image]

Admiring the frog and lawn... i was zooming in noticing your blade is sharp, what's that on the right side buried in the grass..a bone?

#758 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Admiring the frog and lawn... i was zooming in noticing your blade is sharp, what's that on the right side buried in the grass..a bone?

Nah looks to be a curled up leaf.

#759 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Did you not return with free garden mulch?

Did split river rock years ago... No more mulch.

#760 1 year ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Nah looks to be a curled up leaf.

It looks like a bone.

#761 1 year ago

Storm came thru, sitting in the back porch...POW!!! lightning struck hit in the woods (or someplace in the yard). Saw sparks in the woods, instant smell of something burning. Went in the house, smelled hot electronics. Shut off breakers in that area, started to investigate what happened. Checked attic- looks OK. I think the garage opener, GFI garage outlets, home theater receiver dead. I guess go thru the house in the AM and check everything.

#762 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Storm came thru, sitting in the back porch...POW!!! lightening struck hit in the woods (or someplace in the yard). Saw sparks in the woods, instant smell of something burning. Went in the house, smelled hot electronics. Shut off breakers in that area, started to investigate what happened. Checked attic- looks OK. I think the garage opener, GFI garage outlets, home theater receiver dead. I guess go thru the house in the AM and check everything.

Hope all is well!

#763 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

Hope all is well!

I've seen lightning hit an empty corn field years ago. I admit it was more than nerve-racking when it hit so close and instantly smelled something burning tonight I.e. did it hit the roof?

I guess I'll have to walk around the woods/yard and see where it hit in the AM.

I have cameras pointed around the yard, but may not have caught the strike since they trigger on events, not continuous recording.

Might have blown out the 2nd sump pump.

#764 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Storm came thru, sitting in the back porch...POW!!! lightening struck hit in the woods (or someplace in the yard). Saw sparks in the woods, instant smell of something burning. Went in the house, smelled hot electronics. Shut off breakers in that area, started to investigate what happened. Checked attic- looks OK. I think the garage opener, GFI garage outlets, home theater receiver dead. I guess go thru the house in the AM and check everything.

For next time, get you one of these. They are usually a lot cheaper on Ebay. Pretty easy to install too, as long as you follow proper precautions.

I've got A Square D HEPD80 in my home. I've also installed a GE Surgepro.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-whole-house-surge-protector/

That reminds me, I really need to ground my antenna mast...

#765 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I've seen lightening hit an empty corn field years ago. I admit it was more than nerve-racking when it hit so close and instantly smelled something burning tonight I.e. did it hit the roof?
I guess I'll have to walk around the woods/yard and see where it hit in the AM.
I have cameras pointed around the yard, but may not have caught the strike since they trigger on events, not continuous recording.
Might have blown out the 2nd sump pump.

There is a protection in the sump pump for overload (in case it won't shut off) should be ok? Hope so

#766 1 year ago

Found this cool spider in my garage!
Almost 2 inch with leg span

20220614_114102 (resized).jpg20220614_114102 (resized).jpg
#767 1 year ago

Had to spider ban him unfortunately mostly don't want my dog bit or myself reaching for a rake

16552216541081766851372093523248 (resized).jpg16552216541081766851372093523248 (resized).jpg
#768 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

For next time, get you one of these. They are usually a lot cheaper on Ebay. Pretty easy to install too, as long as you follow proper precautions.
I've got A Square D HEPD80 in my home. I've also installed a GE Surgepro.
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-whole-house-surge-protector/
That reminds me, I really need to ground my antenna mast...

I actually have two whole house protectors (one in each of the two breaker boxes). But I think it was just so close, not much would probably help. Likely even the voltage induced in the electrical wiring is enough to kill some electronics. I also have suppressors on all the appropriate outlets. (For what it's worth, I'm an electrical engr.)

So far:

At least two TV's dead.
2 Internet switches
Wiped out the internet provider box mounted in the garage and the outside one too.
Probably 2 sets of garage door sensors.
Some home automation stuff.
A garage light
2 GFI outlets
2nd sump pump - not sure

I'm sure the list will grow some - I think the home theater might have an issue.

#769 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I actually have two whole house protectors (one in each of the two breaker boxes). But I think it was just so close, not much would probably help. Likely even the voltage induced in the electrical wiring is enough to kill some electronics. I also have suppressors on all the appropriate outlets. (For what it's worth, I'm an electrical engr.)

Gotcha. Well that sucks! Did they get fried too? I've seen pics of some after direct strikes and they were pretty toasty, but according to the home owner, did their job.

#770 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Gotcha. Well that sucks! Did they get fried too? I've seen pics of some after direct strikes and they were pretty toasty, but according to the home owner, did their job.

No, whole house protector's green lights are on. Maybe the electronics fried to protect the protectors, LOL.

The one in the main box is at the bottom of the breakers (the surge protector plugs directly into a breaker spot), so less than ideal but better than nothing I guess. Ideally, it should be at the top which makes it between the utility power and the house breakers - and the ground wire needs to be short (minimizes lead inductance). Covers both poles. The one in the basement breaker box is at the top.

I really think it was just so close that it just took out the weaker electronics. No rhythm or reason to this stuff.

So I originally said we were on the back porch and we thought we saw sparks from a tree hit in the woods. Turns out it was my FlightAware (tracks airplanes) that was mounted up high in the porch showering down electronic guts.

#771 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Found this cool spider in my garage!
Almost 2 inch with leg span[quoted image]

Just grazed it with spray really and the arachnoid took off within the beam. Probably very pissed off at me.

#772 1 year ago

Hope it doesn't mutate..I'm very uneasy right now

#773 1 year ago

I use the vacuum. Time proven method and the 42" handle keeps me in the Safe Zone

#774 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So I originally said we were on the back porch and we thought we saw sparks from a tree hit in the woods. Turns out it was my FlightAware (tracks airplanes) that was mounted up high in the porch showering down electronic guts.

Do you think lightning hit it or the antenna? That would explain why the SPDs didn’t do anything.

#775 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Do you think lightning hit it or the antenna? That would explain why the SPDs didn’t do anything.

Found the spot, lightning did hit the front of the house. Time to get insurance involved, more serious than I thought.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Looks like it traveled along the trim, around the house, arcing over to some soffit lights and some flood lights. Blew the cover off this one.

Sorry for derailing the lawn discussions.

#776 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Found the spot, lightning did hit the front of the house. Time to get insurance involved, more serious than I thought.
[quoted image][quoted image]
Looks like it traveled along the trim, around the house, arcing over to some soffit lights and some flood lights. Blew the cover off this one.
[quoted image]

Thankfully that was the extent of it..

#777 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I was thinking a walk on the roof wouldn't be a bad idea, but you found it without having to do that. I've seen houses burned down as a result of a roof hit, so you were lucky.

#778 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

No derail ..keep us posted

#779 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

...you were lucky.

Boy, we know that (now). Despite crap being damaged and whatever - the house is still standing, we're OK. I'm sitting here goofing off on Pinside on my computer while eating lunch. All the bigger ticket items are OK (HVAC, fridge, pins, computer, etc.) are OK for now.

Everything damaged can be replaced at a reasonable cost.

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

No derail ..keep us posted

I originally started posting about this since I thought I'd end up posting interesting pictures of a charred tree or a circle of fried grass, LOL.

I posted the same pictures over in the Random Picture thread.

#780 1 year ago

Damn!..left to get gas for my lawnmower. Forgot why I left my house and returned home.

#781 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Damn!..left to get gas for my lawnmower. Forgot why I left my house and returned home.

On the bright side, you remembered where you lived...right?

#782 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Everything damaged can be replaced at a reasonable cost.

You just missed the really good deal on the LG 65C1 OLED at Costco ($1599 gets ya the TV and a $300 Costco gift card), but I suspect it will come back around.

#783 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

You just missed the really good deal on the LG 65C1 OLED at Costco ($1599 gets ya the TV and a $300 Costco gift card), but I suspect it will come back around.

Thanks for the info mcluvin! Not in the market for one of those tho, but I bet it looks great. OLED is amazing.

I do need to look into an AV receiver and projector tho. Partial to Yamaha The lightning strike took out HDMI 1 Out on the receiver and HDMI 1 In on the projector. Receiver wasn't that old. Although HDMI 2 Out works, as well as HDMI 2 In, so I can actually still use the setup. But I'm afraid something else might (will) fail later and I'd be out of luck. I guess that's what insurance is for.

The projector had a number of years on it, but still had respectable specs (dynamic range, brightness). It was 1080, so I may ask if I chip in, if I could upgrade to 4K. Everything else was already 4K since I had made a few improvements over the years.

But not worried about that stuff yet, trying to get skilled trades to come over and do work is the what I'm worried about mostly.

Crazy hot here, no yard work for a few days....

#784 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The projector had a number of years on it, but still had respectable specs (dynamic range, brightness). It was 1080, so I may ask if I chip in, if I could upgrade to 4K. Everything else was already 4K since I had made a few improvements over the years.

They aren't going to care about 1080 or 4K and asking about chipping in will probably be an opportunity to screw ya from their perspective, and they will. I'd take a good look at my policy and see if I'm insured for replacement value or actual value. If it's damaged, less than 100% of function before the lightning strike, report it and what you paid for it. They don't want your damaged stuff, even if it still kinda works. Obviously, don't make up stuff, but you are probably going to submit a report of what's damaged and what you paid, and they are going to cut you a check and be off to the next claim.

I've made one home insurance claim in my life, for a roof. The roofing companies make it out like it's some kind of big, touchy deal and want you to let them handle it. Sign the claim over to them. Nah, the adjuster comes with his roof guys. They take pics and if the roof is damaged, they approve the claim and cut you a check minus the deductible. "Let us know when the roof has been replaced" he says. That's it. You are a number to them. Don't stick out. Be a number. And then you can take that check and pay the cash price, not the insurance price.

#785 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

They aren't going to care about 1080 or 4K and asking about chipping in will probably be an opportunity to screw ya from their perspective, and they will. I'd take a good look at my policy and see if I'm insured for replacement value or actual value. If it's damaged, less than 100% of function before the lightning strike, report it and what you paid for it. They don't want your damaged stuff, even if it still kinda works. Obviously, don't make up stuff, but you are probably going to submit a report of what's damaged and what you paid, and they are going to cut you a check and be off to the next claim.
I've made one home insurance claim in my life, for a roof. The roofing companies make it out like it's some kind of big, touchy deal and want you to let them handle it. Sign the claim over to them. Nah, the adjuster comes with his roof guys. They take pics and if the roof is damaged, they approve the claim and cut you a check minus the deductible. "Let us know when the roof has been replaced" he says. That's it. You are a number to them. Don't stick out. Be a number. And then you can take that check and pay the cash price, not the insurance price.

Yeah, I know.

Short story: In 2008, had a brand new black '08 Vette (ordered from the factory and saw it being built) in storage for the winter, it was one week before we were going to get it out for spring. 3K on the odo. A long, narrow line of rain came from the south straight up to Indiana. It rained, and rained. And rained more. Storm had no movement EW, just kept drawing moisture from the gulf. A levee gave way and flooded the car (along with a bunch more). Have to admit, State Farm treated us well (it was eventually totaled). Covered some aftermarket and extra stuff too. We could likely find insurance cheaper somewhere else, but that claim kept us loyal ever since.

Getting back to the house problem, the amount is really small potatoes...maybe 3-5K tops. They will just cut us a check (like you said), not even having an adjuster come out. But I am mindful to keep costs reasonable - just my nature I guess.

#786 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Yeah, I know.
Short story: In 2008, had a brand new black '08 Vette (ordered from the factory and saw it being built) in storage for the winter, it was one week before we were going to get it out for spring. 3K on the odo. A long, narrow line of rain came from the south straight up to Indiana. It rained, and rained. And rained more. Storm had no movement EW, just kept drawing moisture from the gulf. A levee gave way and flooded the car (along with a bunch more). Have to admit, State Farm treated us well (it was eventually totaled). Covered some aftermarket and extra stuff too. We could likely find insurance cheaper somewhere else, but that claim kept us loyal ever since.

I was a loyal State Farm customer too for many years. My car went through a hail storm, then we had another. I didn't make a claim after the first. When I did make a claim, I mentioned that it had actually been through 2 hail storms. The State Farm rep said "well I've got to charge you 2 deductibles" and they did. I was a dumbass in my 20s or I would have pursued that a bit further, but that is shitty and would not fly with me now. They also don't give you any sort of discount for wind mitigation on your roof. No matter how well constructed your roof, they assume it is built to minimum acceptable specs. I fondly remember cancelling my State Farm Home policy at ~$2400/year and switching to another A rated insurance agency at ~$1K/year for the same coverage...

#787 1 year ago

Cute lil guy hopping in my garage!

20220616_093242 (resized).jpg20220616_093242 (resized).jpg
#788 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

You guys have quite the variety up there. All I ever see are Cuban tree frogs, which are disgusting, and little grey toads.

#789 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

[quoted image]

Gross story: A number of years ago a frog about that size apparently snuck in the garage. Must of been chilling under the tread of the tire on the wife's car. So she backs out and that frog popped like a water balloon. Blood and guts all over the cabinets and wall. It was pretty bad. Looked like a murder happened out there.

#790 1 year ago

This excellent by OP shows just trim the top on next cut...it's tempting to lower your blade , keep it high!

20220616_114758 (resized).jpg20220616_114758 (resized).jpg
#791 1 year ago

Question for you Zoysia guys…my sod installer left the rolled up sod in the sun for a day and a half before installing it. It has streaks of brown and yellow and white all through it. He told me that it’s “just stressed” and that in 3 weeks it’ll be fine. I’m giving it an inch of water a day - and it’s taking it all, because we have 95 degree days here. Any advice? I water it for an hour just before dawn.

00A46918-B317-42A8-885C-B5C7B6350E95 (resized).jpeg00A46918-B317-42A8-885C-B5C7B6350E95 (resized).jpeg

#792 1 year ago

I think it will be fine

#793 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Question for you Zoysia guys…my sod installer left the rolled up sod in the sun for a day and a half before installing it. It has streaks of brown and yellow and white all through it. He told me that it’s “just stressed” and that in 3 weeks it’ll be fine. I’m giving it an inch of water a day - and it’s taking it all, because we have 95 degree days here. Any advice? I water it for an hour just before dawn.
[quoted image]

This is why grass is my arch enemy. You paid for sod and still looks like I own it. Hope it fills in.

#794 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

[quoted image]

Water timer and sprinkler..set for early morning.

#795 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Water timer and sprinkler..set for early morning.

Yep, I love my Rachio. I set it for “end at sunrise”. I’ve also been hitting it for 10 minutes every 4 hours while the sun is out here melting the asphalt.

#796 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Yep, I love my Rachio. I set it for “end at sunrise”. I’ve also been hitting it for 10 minutes every 4 hours while the sun is out here melting the asphalt.

May want to buy a few bags of topsoil and sprinkle on the bad brown areas, however shocked (brown) grass is typical of hibernation due to heat stress..so i retract my topsoil comment.

#797 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Too much water and you get fungus. That will kill it even quicker…

#798 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Too much water and you get fungus. That will kill it even quicker…

Yep, best to not water at night.

#799 1 year ago

It’ll be fine if you water it early morning; water will soak in to promote root growth, and the sun will dry the blades out before any mold/rot can occur.

#800 1 year ago

It was nice for a little while……
B2D75A3E-16C8-47EB-8FB4-006F4C66D8F8 (resized).jpegB2D75A3E-16C8-47EB-8FB4-006F4C66D8F8 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,802 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-lawn/page/16?hl=grandnational007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.