IMG_1181 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1179 (resized).jpeg
990CAB7A-2911-402B-8DFB-002768451A3A (resized).jpeg
30CE58DB-0ED0-4AD8-849A-3844C5288E0B (resized).jpeg
DSCN8078 (resized).jpg
104_1877 (resized).JPG
104_1875 (resized).JPG
2E79C59D-FC50-4F78-9860-FFDFE332050F (resized).jpeg
There are 740 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.
#351 6 years ago

Currently restoring a Williams 1965 Double Play 326 p&b (very complicated machine operationally-having difficulty synchronising the pitcher & bat motor reset). Does anyone know pls what the (I think) -J- represents on the schematic below. It does not seem to appear in the legend. Thks.

DPsch10.pdfDPsch10.pdf
DPsch11.pdfDPsch11.pdf

#352 6 years ago

Wayne,
It means jumper. Usually a bare piece of wire or a generic covered piece of wire.

#353 6 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Wayne,
It means jumper. Usually a bare piece of wire or a generic covered piece of wire.

Wow thks Steve that's a new one for me

#354 6 years ago

I just bought my first pitch and bat - Chicago Coin Baseball Champ. It works, with some issues, and is lots of fun. I would like to hear from anyone on here who has any parts available as the cosmetics on my machine are not perfect. I would also love to buy a stencil to use to paint it, but I am pretty sure they don't exist. I've looked at photos on line and am trying to figure out if the pitch choice buttons were red on all machines or just on some machines.

IMG_0267 (3) (resized).JPGIMG_0267 (3) (resized).JPG

1 week later
#355 6 years ago

This seems a healthy price for a Williams bat switch assembly on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282547736133?ul_noapp=true

#356 6 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

This seems a healthy price for a Williams bat switch assembly on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282547736133?ul_noapp=true

Wayne,

It's probably a bargain at that price actually.
I made about five a few years ago, hardest part to make was the bat ( why I bought a lathe). Sold them all for that price. Even had some one needing a whole front molding on this site. Gave my prototype with bat lever assembly away gratis to help him.

Turn of the year someone was advertising they were making the bat lever assembly in California but no sign of them now. Hard to find an original or the bat unit now.

#357 6 years ago

Just put mine up for sale if anyone is interested.
janesville.craigslist.org link

#358 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Just put mine up for sale if anyone is interested.
janesville.craigslist.org link

Nice. Fair price for such a beautiful game. Everyone needs at least one baseball game.

1 month later
#359 6 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

THANKS everyone! I wish I could take credit for the restore, but I had a guy with a lot of experience do this for me (I have no skills) I did redo the whole bleacher and artwork set-up though ... LOL ...
This pitch & bat is a blast to play ... I feel as though it is the holy grail of pitch & bats. I also have a restored 1957 Williams Deluxe Baseball, with the cut-out side windows. I will get some pictures up of that one sometime.
SteveinTexas, it shows that you have a 1962 Williams World Series P&B ... that is a great one also!

My running man unit is just barely functioning, can you give me the contact of your repair man, so that he can repair.

#360 6 years ago
Quoted from FredWJensen:

My running man unit is just barely functioning, can you give me the contact of your repair man, so that he can repair.

Oh dear. They don't run badly unless the motor is bad. One of the hardest motors to change out (time wise). It has a double shaft so it has to be repaired by Steve at PBR if the clutch is worn.

If it has switches operation issues then we could probably help here, if you are handy.

3 weeks later
#361 6 years ago

Gaging interest here for a Line Drive project. I picked up this game a while ago and now am thinking it's probably more work (cabinet restoration) than I want to take on at this time. Would probably be in the $500 range, pick-up only.

#362 6 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

Gaging interest here for a Line Drive project. I picked up this game a while ago and now am thinking it's probably more work (cabinet restoration) than I want to take on at this time. Would probably be in the $500 range, pick-up only.

Or, conversely, does anyone have a decent cabinet for Line Drive they would part with?

3 weeks later
#363 6 years ago

I was wondering how this would've worked. This is a Star Slugger bg showing the proposed 'Match' feature. I've heard this wasn't implemented because of space and/or money, but the back glasses went out anyway. I'm not sure if Star Slugger, or Super Star Slugger, has this too. ?? (Pictures don't always show unlit areas at different angles)
There are four different boxes that would light, either together or separately, along with the two clovers.
On the left side...
ONE CLOVER MATCHED
TWO CLOVERS MATCHED
On the right...
STAR MATCHED
NUMBER MATCHED
Then the numbers 0-9, with stars above them, in between.
Too bad it never came to fruition, as it would've been another cool aspect to this game.

Anyone here have insight, or guess?

IMG_3056 (resized).JPGIMG_3056 (resized).JPG

IMG_3053 (resized).JPGIMG_3053 (resized).JPG

IMG_3054 (resized).JPGIMG_3054 (resized).JPG

#364 6 years ago

I pondered the Star Slugger variant feature quagmire a few years ago and came out more perplexed than when I began. Having previously owned a Super Slugger and currently having a Star Slugger in my line-up, and having compared notes with other owners of these games, I am still unable to solve the mystery. For those unfamiliar with the 3 models, they are:

*1955 Super Slugger (there's a deluxe version and there is a regular version)
*1956 Star Slugger
*1956 Star Super Slugger (the creative team was on vacation the week United named this game)

The Mr. Pinball guide list states the following:

--Super Slugger Deluxe includes a double match feature.
--Star Slugger has a replay model available.
--Star Super Slugger has neither a replay model nor a double match feature.

The flyer (shown below) for Super Slugger Deluxe boasts a double clover match feature and that a regular model is available without that match feature.

I have seen the Super Slugger regular model and the playfield is slightly different than the deluxe model. For example, the gobble holes behind the 2 perimeter ramps charge outs and the hole behind the center ramp awards a home run and extra runs.

The flyer (shown below) for Star Slugger states that regular and replay models are available.

Each game model has a different backglass; however, all include the graphics for a double clover match feature.

Below is a photo of the internal backbox of my previously-owned Super Slugger. Also, below is a photo of the Star Slugger counterpart (not my game, however, my game looks the same, as I recall). My Star Slugger does not have a match feature and I know of none that do. I too was under the impression that the backglasses were based upon a contemplated match feature which was either discontinued after the 1955 Super Slugger model or else never implemented in any model.

Irrespective of the match feature, present or not in Super Slugger, Star Slugger is the superior game. This is because Star Slugger has 3 innings versus a single inning with its predecessor. Also, Star Slugger has a load-the-base award behind each of the 3 ramps whereas Super Slugger awards a mere single for those gobble holes. Further, Star Slugger has arguably better art, particularly on the playfield,, and most prefer the deeper green color of the backglass. I leave it to Pinside to determine which game possessed which features. Carry on.

$_57 (resized).JPG$_57 (resized).JPG

3502f1 (resized).jpg3502f1 (resized).jpg

20141203_110515_1 (resized).jpg20141203_110515_1 (resized).jpg

image-17 (resized).jpgimage-17 (resized).jpg

#365 6 years ago

Yes, a little confusing with all those variants.
Looking closer it seems like the numbers and stars lit independently (giving a random number hit like the ending score would normally give) then the clover(s) would light indicating whether one or two players won the match.
The STAR MATCHED and NUMBER MATCHED lights would probably automatically come on at game end, to draw eyes to that area. The clovers would light on the player(s) that won, and the ONE/TWO CLOVER Match boxes would also light accordingly. A little redundant but kind of neat. I wonder if the double match would have awarded multiple replays, like some of the pinballs with that feature.

#366 6 years ago

I once owned a 1953 United Imperial Shuffle Alley that also had a Triple Match Feature; 0-9, Star & Clover. The BG layout of the Imperial Shuffle Alley was similar to the Star Slugger in that the matches were displayed across the top of the BG with clovers at the ends and stars above the numbers in the middle.5-ScoreboardGlass (resized).jpg5-ScoreboardGlass (resized).jpg
023 (resized).JPG023 (resized).JPG

The number match on the Imperial Shuffle Alley was based upon the last digit of the score. I think the star match was also score related. I don't remember exactly how the clover match worked, other than it didn't seem to have anything to do with the score.

The 1954 United Team Shuffle Alley has a very similar, if not the same, triple match feature as the 1953 Imperial Shuffle Alley. I found a service manual for the Team Shuffle Alley on the International Arcade Museum website. Here's the page that describes the match relays for that game.
TripleMatch (resized).jpgTripleMatch (resized).jpg

It seems to me that if the triple match features were included in the Star Slugger they would most likely have functioned like those in the Team Shuffle Alley.

Star Slugger is a fantastic game - thanks for the fun escape from work this morning Dave!

Brad

#367 6 years ago

You're welcome, Brad. Don't let me get you in trouble though. Alexf always gets me in trouble that way

The 'Spot Clover Relay' described would've been interesting. A true triple match feature. Might've paid out big!
Thanks for the info.

#368 6 years ago

I own the 1954 United Team Shuffle. Here's a pic of my match meters.

Number Matches: 581
Star Matches: 72
Clover Matches: 4

I'm not sure those meters are still working, but you can see that the Clover matches are rare! The game has no credit unit, so I guess you show the bartender your star and/or clover for a prize??

The game also has a weird setting where you can choose to have the match number displayed AT THE START OF THE GAME. I guess then you try to bowl in a certain way near the end of the game in order to have the proper score?

Looks like the Clover + Star + Number match started in June 1953 with the Clover shuffle alley?
http://www.pinrepair.com/bowl/clover.jpg

File Sep 22, 9 54 43 AM (resized).jpegFile Sep 22, 9 54 43 AM (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#369 6 years ago

1962 World Series (Williams, 1962)

Highly uncommon game title today that is not "roached up", missing parts, cabinets falling apart (due to size), and general poor condition. Many were played EXTREMELY HEAVILY during the period as it was a very popular game with players. Some dealers/brokers don't want to touch them for restorations due to required work (meaning they cannot make any sales profit from the restoration as the market remains more niche than pinball) or lack of general experience of repair today from present technicians not familiar with EM pitch and bat repair.

This game was restored (not fully or "high end" restored) including a replacement bezel backglass, Super Home Run plastic, chrome batting handle, and pitching button, among other required NOS internal parts. All assemblies and steppers were rebuilt. Cabinet was a stencil repaint out of necessity. Natural wood backbox trim was sanded and revarnished. Pitching motor has been rebuilt four times in the past 55+ years due to wearing out through use.

This was the last Williams pitch and bat game to use scoring holes which transformed into all future Williams games as scoring targets, and first game to award "extra innings" as a feature based on the split dual game designs of novelty and "add a ball" game equivalency to avoid the gambling controversy issues of the period.

A game is packed with features such as the single button random "Mystery Pitcher" (slow ball-fast ball-curve balls), WORLD SERIES award system, standard home run "fence" with triple ramps, running man unit, and "Super Home Run" among other Williams manufacturer specifics that were copied by other manufacturers such as the improved adjustable rheostat system for pitching control.

One of the four most collectible Williams pitch and bats in gaming history which includes 1956 4 Bagger Deluxe, 1959 Pinch-Hitter, and the most notable being 1960 Williams DELUXE Official Baseball.

Game significance in respect to real world history:

"The 1962 World Series matched the defending American League and World Series champions New York Yankees against the National League champion San Francisco Giants. It is best remembered for its dramatic conclusion; with runners on second and third and two out in the bottom of the ninth inning of Game 7, Hall-of-Famer Willie McCovey hit an exceptionally hard line drive that was caught by second baseman Bobby Richardson to preserve a one-run victory for the Yankees."

Keep Flipping.

1 World Series Backbox.jpg1 World Series Backbox.jpg
1.5 World Series Running Man Unit.JPG1.5 World Series Running Man Unit.JPG
2 World Series Left Side Cabinet.jpg2 World Series Left Side Cabinet.jpg
3 World Series Right Side Cabinet.jpg3 World Series Right Side Cabinet.jpg
4 World Series PF.jpg4 World Series PF.jpg

#370 6 years ago

Holy cow that’s a gorgeous World Series. My youngest has a thing for pitch bat games. Wish I could get him one, just no $$$ for it right now. If anybody close has one for sale that needs work let me know. At expo, He spent more time playing these than pins I think. They also had a new zombie version (not em) by the vendors we liked.

7933F48B-4361-47F6-85AE-64A915713145 (resized).jpeg7933F48B-4361-47F6-85AE-64A915713145 (resized).jpeg

#371 6 years ago

Haha Jay, I could have wrote your post word for word & it would have been my story. Good luck finding one especially with the little one enjoying it so much. I hope to find one too. And that new zombie one is awesome. Doubt it will be $5k awesome to me, but awesome nonetheless.

#372 6 years ago

I've had my 4 Bagger up for sale before but chickened out. It's a nice original game that's been with me a long time. I could use the cash for an upcoming project so I'll throw it out there again.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/52559

4Bagger (resized).jpg4Bagger (resized).jpg

#373 6 years ago

^^Beautiful game, and a pretty good deal too.

#374 6 years ago

Alex, I love that 4 Bagger of yours! Call me crazy, but I prefer the cabinet & cabinet art of the 4 Bagger over that of the '57 Deluxe Baseball. I'm digging through the couch cushions!

Brad

#375 6 years ago

Here is a picture of my Super Slugger BG. Does anyone make this glass?

IMG_2965 (resized).JPGIMG_2965 (resized).JPG

#376 6 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

I got my Star Slugger from Gary Conway and it passes.
I'm not sure if he's done the Super Slugger. Surely a
machine that deserves a nice glass. Might be worth
checking..

#377 6 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

BGresto.com did a DeLuxe Super Slugger: http://bgresto.com/?p=1580

Most of the artwork is the same, so they should be able to do the Super Slugger BG.

#378 6 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

Gary Conway does make the Super Slugger and/or Deluxe version translite repro. I utilized one for a game formerly in my line-up and it looked good, although screened repros are superior.

1 month later
#379 6 years ago

if any body need some spare parts for williams baseball i have a lot going from the late 50s to late 60s
double play head
short stop body
deluxe baseball head
pinch hitter body
fast ball playfield
and a lot of spare parts like batting mech.

#380 6 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

As stated in post #378 above, Gary Conway makes a translite style repro for Super Slugger. Here's a photo of that repro, which I utilized for my game, formerly in my line-up. Gary used to ship these repros assembled (translite wedged between glass sheets, with edges sealed). More recently, Gary will sell the translite alone. It's easy to purchase the glass yourself and assemble it and you won't have to worry about breakage during shipment.

Text me (you have my cell) or PM me if you need Gary's contact information.

20141015_010602 (resized).jpg20141015_010602 (resized).jpg

#381 6 years ago
Quoted from gameroomzone:

pinch hitter body

PM sent

1 month later
#382 6 years ago

Anyone with a slugfest. Do your pitch buttons sometimes get stinky? Like you hit the change up or fastball button and the magnet makes it more of a curve ball?

#383 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Anyone with a slugfest. Do your pitch buttons sometimes get stinky? Like you hit the change up or fastball button and the magnet makes it more of a curve ball?

In single player, yes, that is a function of the game, but in two player, no, don’t recall seeing that... though I haven’t put a ton of games on mine.

#384 6 years ago
Quoted from roar:

In single player, yes, that is a function of the game, but in two player, no, don’t recall seeing that... though I haven’t put a ton of games on mine.

Oh, shit, that's right. I forgot about that. haha.

#385 6 years ago
Quoted from roar:

though I haven’t put a ton of games on mine.

I got an Upper Deck because I had to have a pitch and bat.
I enjoyed restoring it.
It is fun to play but gets old quick.

#386 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I got an Upper Deck because I had to have a pitch and bat.
I enjoyed restoring it.
It is fun to play but gets old quick.

Ya... I imagine it does, this one needs lots of work, new control panel overlay, new front panel on it, new t-molding, refinish the coin door, all new locks... list goes on and on . Thought it would be fun to work on over the winter, I imagine it will be up for sale in the summer though, I have really limited room so I'll clean it up and move it along. I've been kicking around the idea of putting a pin2dmd in it to see if I could take a run at colourizing it.

10 months later
#387 5 years ago

Well, let me resurrect this club here, as I've just become a member today, with a Williams 'Base Hit'.

Photos to come later as it's quite dusty and I'm still giving it the initial look-over, but I've wanted an EM game for a while and this one worked out nicely for me. Probably start harassing people for parts sources on these in a couple spots, but overall I think it'll clean up quite nice.

-Hans

#388 5 years ago

Welcome to the Club, Hans -- unfortunately not a lot of activity related just to Pitch and Bats. Most pinheads either love their modern games or primarily EM's and might have a Baseball game as a filler. Personally I have all 3 niches but am a big Pitch and Bat fan -- loved them since I was a kid and played them in the early 60's. I have a run of the classic Williams games from 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, and 1962 along with a 1960 Bally Ball Park. I've been collecting and restoring these since the 90's. Actually have 2 56 Four Baggers and 2 '60 Official Baseballs. Restoring and will sell the "spares", as I did some years ago on an extra 59 Pinch Hitter.
Would love to see more postings / activity on Pitch and Bats. Need SteveinTexas to do another restore
Here is an older pic of some of my Pitch and Bats

123-2304_IMG (resized).JPG123-2304_IMG (resized).JPG
#389 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdog50:

along with a 1960 Bally Ball Park.

Say, not many have a Bally Ball Park. The only P & B with a Man-Run-Unit that Bally made..
That backglass looks in good shape. Is that original or repro? I have a few P & Bs, and all
though it's been a few years now, here's the latest I've gotten in. She's a good player!

IMG_0741 (resized).JPGIMG_0741 (resized).JPG
#390 5 years ago

Congratulation Hans, but we like pictures of dusty and dirty games too! It's fun to watch the transformation. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

I've always liked the side art on the Williams Base Hit. The game has the more modern style cabinet and Formica panel with the pitch and bat buttons, but the design of the cabinet artwork recalls the look of the earlier games. The red painted metal legs look nice, but I've always though that the game would look even better with wood legs to match the oak trim on the cabinet.

Nice Star Slugger, I really like mine too. Recently, I noticed that one of the base runners in the running man unit was not popping up when I got a hit. I was dreading working on it since I am more of a "paint and polish" type of owner rather than the more useful and cost saving "fix and repair" kind of owner. As it turned out, it was a relatively simple fix. The sprung metal base piece on the running man that attaches to the metal arm coming from the running man motor was gummed up with 62 year old grease. I was able to remove each of the running men and cleaned up the old grease with some Naphtha. The clean up went well and all of the running men pop up much more responsively. The little guys are once again flying around the bases.

#391 5 years ago

Does anybody have the capacitor list for the sound boards on a Williams Line Drive? None of the sounds work in mine (it's had a rough life, so not surprised) and thought I'd shotgun the caps first, then move to the amp.

The caps may have originally been marked, but I haven't been able to spot the markings on all of them. Hoping someone has a complete list somewhere.

This was the first game Williams made with a solid state sound board, from my understanding, and the sound boards were made by URL/Allied Leisure. Very simple sounds, but quite noticeable when there is nothing at all.

#392 5 years ago

Oh, I know you guys aren't worried about dusty photos. I just didn't want to waste time taking photos, I wanted to get cleaning.
Needs a playfield glass, some legs, and a small bit of T.L.C., but cleaning up nicely so far.

DuBI38vU8AAA3kO (resized).jpgDuBI38vU8AAA3kO (resized).jpg
#393 5 years ago

And we're playing games already, which I didn't expect for a dusty and rusty old EM machine. The runners were all stuck, but otherwise just a couple cleaned switches and letting it run and bust the dust off, and it's looking like 100% functional.

Couple of coils I want to replace due to busted plastic but holy moly these things are fun.

#394 5 years ago

anybody know where you can get a new ball flap for williams 1970 pitch and bat , similar flap to game in above post.

#395 5 years ago

Fantastic news Hans! Sounds like you lucked out with the functionality of the game. Pitch and bats and ball bowlers are the cat's pajamas as far as I'm concerned. They'll be the last to leave my collection, but let's hope that that day never comes! Have fun while you're cleaning it up. The more you use it the better it will likely play. And don't forget to share some pictures of it all together and shined up.

Thanks for sharing,
Brad

#396 5 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

anybody know where you can get a new ball flap for williams 1970 pitch and bat , similar flap to game in above post.

Here is one place --- I may have more as I have lots of P&B parts sources bookmarked over the years
http://www.scvgames.com/items-for-sale/details.cfm/id-90/pitch-and-bat-ball-flap---new

#398 5 years ago

As most of you guys know, I'm typically a solid-state guy. Anything special I need to know about coils in these games? Couple with busted bobbins and loose wire I want to replace.

Also currently doesn't seem to be adding credits at all. Counter will drop as they are used, but nothing makes the counter increase.

3 months later
#399 5 years ago

The beginning of restoring my Bally Batting Practice. Everything there but clearly needs repair. Even got the original paper work that came with the machine. Do you think Bally will still honour the free operation manual?

P1060692 (resized).JPGP1060692 (resized).JPGP1060695 (resized).JPGP1060695 (resized).JPGP1060696 (resized).JPGP1060696 (resized).JPGP1060710 (resized).JPGP1060710 (resized).JPGP1060698 (resized).JPGP1060698 (resized).JPGP1060694 (resized).JPGP1060694 (resized).JPGP1060717 (resized).JPGP1060717 (resized).JPGP1060722 (resized).JPGP1060722 (resized).JPGP1060718 (resized).JPGP1060718 (resized).JPGP1060720 (resized).JPGP1060720 (resized).JPGP1060719 (resized).JPGP1060719 (resized).JPG
#400 5 years ago

Here's my batting practice. You can get the printable numbers including mask from ipdb.org

IMG_20190415_1726294 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_1726294 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_1726474 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_1726474 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_1726409 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_1726409 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_1726551 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_1726551 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 740 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-em-pitch-and-bat-games/page/8?hl=bigdog50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.