(Topic ID: 87707)

Show us your EM Bowlers, Mechanical, and old Electrical Toys in your Gameroom!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,537 posts
  • 296 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 43 hours ago by Mancave
  • Topic is favorited by 169 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Night Rider 3 (resized).jpg
Night Rider 2 (resized).jpg
Night Rider 1 (resized).jpg
CC Pro Basketball Door Adjustment Instructions.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_20240403_091144868-1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091218493_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091144868 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091444107 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091233305_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091248106 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091243897 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091306542 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_085015166 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091131492 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091444107 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091306542 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#691 7 years ago

I have a couple of 'flaunt my ignorance' questions regarding bowlers. When a bowler is a 16[footer, I assume that is just the length of the alley and not the full length of the machine. Is that correct? And, if so, how many additional feet do you figure the actual length of a bowler is? Second, how do they disassemble for moving? Specifically, into how many pieces would a 16' bowler break into?

#694 7 years ago

Thanks, so the longest section on a 16 footer would be less than 8 feet, correct?

#696 7 years ago

Is there a standard width?

#701 7 years ago

It looks like there are several approaches/mechanisms to registering which pins are hit. Most look to have sensors in the alley by the pins. However, others seem to have the pins suspended so that the pins can actually hit each other to replicate true pin action. Are there other approaches? What are the pros and cons of each?

#703 7 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

IMO
The pro of pins being suspended and hit is that the bowling action seems more realistic. I believe they retract and pull up, off the alley when a switch is triggered. When they bump an adjacent adequately, the pin bumped will retract.
Con is that a typical good bowler will destroy those pins.
Pro on the "shuffle" approach is that the action is a bit different than the real thing. It uses a switch matrix on the alley.
Con is it's almost indestructible.

I assume you have the pro and cons mixed up on the last one. So when you say that a good bowler will destroy them do you mean that a good bowler will consistently get strikes or are you saying that someone who throws the ball hard will break the pins?

#708 7 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Bally made bowlers with leather covered pins that the ball actually makes contact with. (second picture)
for for information on bowlers http://www.pinrepair.com/bowl/index.htm

Thanks for the link. I'm very early in the process and starting to educate myself. I built a shuffleboard table and find it is the preferred game when we have people over. I think a bowler would be the same way, plus it seems most provide for 6 players.

2 weeks later
#715 7 years ago

I continue to be intrigued with the bowlers. Having now watched lots of video, most of which is taken with one had holding the camera and the other rolling the ball, I am wondering about difficulty. From some of the videos, it seems like a perfect score (or high 200's) could be fairly common. On one video, I heard the guy say the difficulty setting can be changed. I have two questions. First, is the ability to change the difficulty a common feature and second, what is an average score on a game? Assume a 16 footer.
Thanks

#717 7 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

On the 16 ft. Bally Tournament, an average player may get like 160-180

I'd be fine with that. And, any adjustability?

#719 7 years ago

It may well be that the adjustment is more of a marketing thing than something one would ever utilize. I'd be happy if the typical score is 170 (picking the midpoint) for an average bowler and say 220 for someone who plays quite a bit. I think I would get bored if a good bowler consistently scores 250+ with a perfect game being fairly common (10%).

#722 7 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I actually think United had the easy/normal strike settings so the Bar Owner (or whoever)
could have it set to their liking, but when I got in the Uniteds (and there were many back when)
almost all were set on normal strike..
I still have a few out, but back in the 90s, I had many Ball Bowlers out in different places (just
to gather a few extra quarters on the side), and no one ever got a 300 game. I knew the Owners
and I would have known if anyone had. I think the highest game someone got was a 278 on a
20' Chicago Coin. Where that 20 footer was, there was High Score "200 club" sheets that had 100
names to sign, and even with that Bowler getting played a lot, it would take 2 or 3 weeks for
it to get filled, and even on an 11' small ball bowler, a 200 is a pretty good game from what I've
seen, so ball bowlers aren't a piece of cake to get a super high score on. I really don't know of anyone
that can consistently get 250 games, nor 300 even 0.5% of the time. If you live close to someone
with a Ball Bowler, check it out, you'll see what I mean even playing on a small ball bowler.. (T)

Great info, thanks

2 months later
#770 7 years ago

I'm still on the hint for a ball bowler (bit of a project) (Also have my rifle game up for sale). I'm curious if anyone knows the manufacturing numbers on ball bowlers vs shuffle bowlers. Seems like it has to be at least 10 to 1 more shuffle alley.

4 months later
#969 6 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Sometimes the paper will stick together and issue a couple fortunes but that is the fault of the paper itself being 60+ years old and bound together in a bundle all those years, so it will never work 100% unless you printed up new fortunes.

Where do you find the cards? Seems like there are tons of different NOS fortune teller cards out there; although I'm sure most would not be the correct size. That is one of the things holding me back from trying to get one.

#971 6 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

eBay, same place I found my Swami Napkin Holder. Anyone selling NOS cards will/should say they fit Swami, so no brainier. Swami and Madame X use the same cards, just make sure they have a picture on the listing for a visual confirmation. NOS cards will stick together but as far as I know no one makes them new because there are so many original refills left over.

Thanks, good to know they are out there...just found some on e-bay. I'm tempted to get some, because knowing me, once I finally find a good deal on the holder, they will be unobtanium

2 months later
#1019 6 years ago

It's been awhile since I've had a chance to flaunt my ignorance, but here goes. I'm calling upon all you experts to help with my new project...it's an old acme/advance shock machine. I know it is missing a lot of pieces and I'm not really sure how it needs to be wired; however, my immediate puzzle is a piece that was included, but not attached to anything. Even more interesting, when I try to find images of this machine, most do not have this piece but I found one that did. In any case, can anyone tell me what this is? It's wrapped in a tissue paper underneath is foil.

shockpart (resized).jpgshockpart (resized).jpg

#1021 6 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

I'd have to make an educated guess that it's a capacitor. It is what stores the "shock" that you get.
As for what value, you'd need to experiment a bit. Likely a 400 or 600 volt part, maybe 2 microfarad. Just a guess though.

I was thinking a capacitor; however, the way the machine works is you grab two handles, one of which turns. As you turn the handle, a coil moves on a rod over another coil causing the voltage to increase. I always think of a capacitor as a fast release of energy as opposed to slowly increasing. But I am pretty ignorant about electrical components and circuits.

#1023 6 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

Yes, variable transformer. Does this machine plug into A/C mains? Or did it operate off battery?
If battery, then there must be some sort of "chopper" circuit. Transformers don't work with D/C.
Many years ago, I took apart a vacuum tube car radio (note: NOT stereo ) It had a part in it (called a vibrator, IIRC) that would switch the 12DC from the car battery on and off very rapidly so it could be fed to a transformer to get the high voltages needed for the vacuum tubes. If your machine operated off battery, then I suspect it used something similar. If so, my best guess is it is a capacitor that went across the contacts of the vibrator to prevent arcing which leads to contact erosion.
If it works on A/C, then all bets are off and I just made everyone suffer through a history on vintage electronics for no reason.
Best of luck.

I think you are onto something....I actually started another thread to see if I can get this thing running. Here it is:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-electricity-experts-acme-advance-shock-machine

You'll notice in the diagram I found, there is something called a vibrator switch. I figured it was akin to a slam switch...obviously I was wrong. I'm not sure if this info gets me closer or farther from figuring out how the thing should be wired but it definitely solves that mystery. If you are feeling like a challenge ...feel free to opine on my other thread. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

5 months later
#1120 6 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I have two of these mystic fortune napkin dispensers including one that I purchased basically new old stock.
I highly recommend them for your gameroom. They generate a ton of attention, especially with kids.

I have the Test Your IQ version of the Madame X / Swami fortune teller. When I bought it, the description said it had a couple hundred of the questions in it. Turns out it was loaded with fortunes for the Madame X version. I've been looking a long time for replacement Quiz cards and they appear to be unobtanium. Has anybody ever seen the quiz cards?

#1122 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

You could buy the Madame X metal plate and change it. The plates still come up for sale.

Yeah, I actually have a plate for that exact reason. I was hoping to have both a madame X and a IQ Quiz and am still holding out hope that someone, somewhere will find a bunch of the cards. But I'm about ready to say uncle

#1123 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

You could buy the Madame X metal plate and change it. The plates still come up for sale.

I was kind of hoping that you would see this as a challenge to find the elusive cards. Finding old pitch and bats for people is nothing compared to this quest! C'mon, I have confidence in you!

1 week later
#1140 6 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Thks much appreciated.

I use US 1 cent coins as shown in pic below. However the mechanism simply replies on the weight of the coin to release the mechanism. I tried an Aust 5c piece & it works fine. Don't have the now discontinued Aust 1c piece but pretty sure it would work providing it fits in the coin slot.

Haha at my age thats a tall order!
Below is a pic of the castings which in my experience commonly fail. On the top right is a dial indicator actuating arm which was broken in two pieces-now fixed I just need to clean up the fix. The cast rim which encloses the front glass is notorious for fracturing if too much pressure is applied through the x6 retaining screws.

I have also restored a Gottlieb strength tester. Both the main part and the part that mounts on it and moves the needle were broken. After much trial and error I was able to 3d print both of those parts. I printed them in straight PLA and they seem to be more than up to the challenge. (I did make that main piece much more robust and it does require you to drill a couple of holes and mount the necessary pins). In any case, if someone needs these parts I can send you the STL or OBJ file and you can print your own. If you don't have a printer, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

1 year later
#1504 4 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Quick question for you guys, I'm trying to buy my first EM. I'm going to go look at a Midway Deluxe Shooting Gallery. Anything specific I should look for? What kind of price range am I looking at for an unrestored machine?

It is a really nice shooting game. I'm sure someone knowledgeable will chime in. Lacking that, my take is always focus on the parts that are unique to the game and can't be easily reproduced/fabricated. With that in mind, I'd zero in on the gun itself and the air system that shoots the balls. Stuff not moving, points not accumulating, messed up cabinet, playfield art, etc. should all be fixable. This, of course, assumes you are fine with doing stuff.

As for price, I'm guessing; however, this one is pretty desirable so I'd imagine $2-4k for a project, based on the condition and what all is missing. Good luck, post pics if you get it.

2 months later
#1615 4 years ago

One of the floor models sold on e-bay last week for $350.
ebay.com link: 1940s Mercury Athletic Scale Deluxe Model Strength Tester Penny Arcade Coin op
It was a really good deal, so much so that I was thinking about it; however, I have a countertop model.

There was another one, that was restored for $850? Don't know if that one ever sold. There are lots of countertop models from several manufacturers and from early 1900's to 1960's. Pricing varies a ton, from $300 or so for complete unrestored, common models to over a grand for the rare and/or restored models. Of course, that doesn't stop people from thinking that their 1950's rusted-out countertop model is worth $1200

#1618 4 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Lol. Ya, thats similar shape of mine, except mine has the back panel. Im into it for 375, may not really be worth restoring, just get it working and enjoy.

I'm no expert, but I think if it were reasonably restored...I don't mean pristine, better than new...but painted with a good automotive paint, all parts there, working as it should and a nice dial, you should be able to get at least $600. Part of the problem with these floor models is that they weigh a ton, so your market starts to narrow down to people that will drive to pick it up.

Personally, I would say $375 was a great deal, assuming all the innards are there and it works. If the one I linked had been local to me, I would have put in a bid for it. If you decide you don't want to restore it AND happen to be driving down this way, maybe to the beach or mountains, let me know. I may be interested.

#1630 4 years ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Picked this guy up a couple weekends back. Been waiting for one for awhile. It will go well with my Hollywood driving range.]

I'm jealous...I've been on the hunt for a mini golf for awhile. Have a Williams Pinchitter, Williams Ten Pins and Genco 2-player bball, so I have a hole that needs to be filled.

3 months later
#1690 4 years ago
Quoted from KJIa:

Haven't found really much that might be useful but did find a box with 3-8" pins and some larger ones.
Also a few pin hangers for the larger pins?
Got a bunch of old game keys too. Don't know if the keys are worth anything but I've got a bunch of them.
If anyone is looking for a certain key let me know and I'll see what I have or could get more pictures if interested.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Damn, that would even make the janitor we had in grade school jealous. Of course, you need to put all those keys on one of those fancy rings with the retractable chain that you wear on your belt.

2 weeks later
#1698 4 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Interesting is that it is totally mechanical. The only electric is for the light bulb.

Wow, I did not realize that. Very interesting as it opens up possibilities for placing it anywhere since the light can easily be recreated with LED and battery

#1706 4 years ago
Quoted from kovalski3:

I bought this a while ago. Williams Mini golf . I finally shopped it out and got it working 100%. People are drawn to mannequin games. When someone sees it in my collection, they immediately walk over to play it.[quoted image]

Hmm, couldn't help but notice nicely lit up under "1st Player"...Looks like someone wrapped their club around a tree or threw it in the pond!

2 weeks later
#1737 4 years ago
Quoted from dugmar:

Not a lot. Fun to look at and to show to people but gameplay isn't that exciting.

I figure I'll get an old one when grandkids are old enough to play. If I put some toys and $ in it, I'm confident it would get played. However, I don't see it getting much love by adults. That's why, when I do get one. I'll get one of the old purely mechanical ones with a beat-up wood cabinet. First, I can put it anywhere, since it doesn't need power (well maybe a a lamp that I can convert to battery) second, those old ones can be stunning when restored and third, I enjoy woodworking so restoration of the cabinet would be enjoyable.

#1739 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Make sure that you put a lock on the back. Kids like to cheat. I had to retrofit a lock on mine when i caught one of my boys lining up a $5 bill so he could grab it easier. He didn't flat out take it out, he just tried to make it easier.

LOL...conniving little rug rats!

5 months later
#1881 3 years ago

Just finished restoration of my Venus Shuffle Targette...I thought the score reels would never end. Fortunately, I learned my lesson about the paper reels from a previous restore. (As an aside, does anyone carry the replacement paper score reels?)

Venus (resized).jpgVenus (resized).jpg
#1883 3 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Nice job on the Venus. Any of those Shuffle Target machines are nice players and a plus for a game room.
What, a few of the score reels are not in too good of shape?

No, they are actually fine...some dark spots, but that gives it character. Just wondered if there was any source for these. Probably doesn't matter as my game room is pretty darn full now anyhow, but I am a sucker for those old arcade games.

2 weeks later
#1890 3 years ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

I modified my Kickapoo and mounted cooling fans around the flash motor and solenoid assembly that keeps the flash enabled. It gets so hot, it would burn up at a show. The high CFM help really circulate air in there

Hmm, haven't noticed any excessive heat and there didn't seem to be any telltale signs of it. The load on the motor seems so light that I would think you need to run pretty much non-stop for it to be an issue (like what you probably experience at a show) I was thinking/hoping you may have come up with something like randomized variable speed flash motor to add to the game play.

I really like the game, definitely has that 'one more time' appeal. Something as simple as the flash motor really enhances game play. You focus too much on the throw and you end up with a 10 x 5...or focus too much on the throw and you get a 50 X 1.

5 months later
#2006 3 years ago

I'm having an issue with my Shuffle Targette game. Given that these are a bit esoteric and more like the old bowlers than the typical EM pinball game, I figured I would post the link to the topic I started in the EM Tech support area. I'm hoping some of the old bowler gurus may be able to provide some insight. Thanks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/united-venus-shuffle-targette-intermittent-issue#post-6063287

10 months later
#2120 2 years ago

I'll try to take a pic today.

#2123 2 years ago

pics of bowler mechanism

bowler1 (resized).jpgbowler1 (resized).jpgbowler2 (resized).jpgbowler2 (resized).jpg
8 months later
#2258 1 year ago
Quoted from wayner:

One of my favourite machines is an Advance 1c Shock Tester which I restored a couple of years back. For the last couple of months its 'shock' has been somewhat problematic.
So spent some time with a learned friend to better understand its operation. The culprit was an oscillator switch which converts the dc battery current to ac and wow when that switch flutters the machine sizzles. It has a nominal shock graduation scale 0-500 and I can get to around 200 before the shock gets to me.
Strangely I have found the guys which appear the toughest and meanest seem unable to get to 100??
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I have one as well and that vibrating switch at the top is really the key to making it work. When I got mine, it was in terrible shape, for example, it was missing the timer so I had to jump through hoops to find and mount an egg timer. Anyhow, I continue to futz around with that damn switch.
It works for awhile at various degrees of effectiveness, then doesn't or fades in and out. It is very inconsistent. Maybe I'm missing some component? Please shoot me a message if there is some secret to getting it adjusted properly and keeping it that way!

1 week later
#2287 1 year ago
Quoted from rod90:

One of eight that I am currently working on.
[quoted image]

Whenever I see shoot the bear parts/projects on e-bay, I'm tempted to pull the trigger. I don't because I'm never confident in my ability to 1) identify all the parts that are missing and 2) if/how the parts that are there can be fixed. But man, you gotta love the look and feel of that game.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-em-bowlers-mechanical-and-old-electrical-toys-in-your-gameroom?tu=Oldgoat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.