(Topic ID: 87707)

Show us your EM Bowlers, Mechanical, and old Electrical Toys in your Gameroom!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,537 posts
  • 296 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Mancave
  • Topic is favorited by 169 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Night Rider 3 (resized).jpg
Night Rider 2 (resized).jpg
Night Rider 1 (resized).jpg
CC Pro Basketball Door Adjustment Instructions.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_20240403_091144868-1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091218493_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091144868 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091444107 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091233305_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091248106 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091243897 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091306542 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_085015166 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091131492 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091444107 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091306542 (resized).jpg
There are 2,537 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 51.
#1651 4 years ago
Quoted from plgg3:

Here is something the young people would not even know how to use. They were everywhere back in the day. Nothing like the 3 different tones of the coins falling .There would be an operator on the other end of the line. A very different time.[quoted image]

Do they still work if you were to try and dial out? I didn’t know whether or not the current use of technology allows it. I remember a few of them still kicking around when I was growing up in the 80/90’s

#1652 4 years ago

On the subject of phones, I pushed the envelope in my game room. Always looking for unusual items to add to the space, found a 1946 Western Electric switchboard originally from a motel in Colorado, and made it fully functional - hooked it up to several old and newer phones scattered around the room. Set up basically as an intercom since I don't have an outside Ma-Bell line, but they get dial tones and can be connected in every combination with each other. But you have to have an "operator" so whenever I have a group of kids there, they all get to use the phones and take turns being the operator. Distraction from their cell phones....

With this switchboard, I can install as many as 30 extension phones, so every time I find an interesting old one, I add it to the mix. Oddly, grade-school kids find it all very interesting and learn how the old phone systems work.

phone-in-gameroom2019 (resized).jpgphone-in-gameroom2019 (resized).jpg

#1653 4 years ago
Quoted from plgg3:

Here is something the young people would not even know how to use. They were everywhere back in the day. Nothing like the 3 different tones of the coins falling .There would be an operator on the other end of the line. A very different time.[quoted image]

That looks like an older model from maybe the late forties or early fifties not that I'm an expert. Would be cool to have it hooked up to a landline if one still has one!

#1654 4 years ago
Quoted from plgg3:

Love it. Sure would make texting a challenge!

#1655 4 years ago

I am as addicted to small coin op items as I am to full size machines.The craftsman that went into making them is why they are still here today. Its like going back in time.Bring them back to life so others can enjoy.

100_4498 (resized).jpg100_4498 (resized).jpg
#1656 4 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

That looks like an older model from maybe the late forties or early fifties not that I'm an expert. Would be cool to have it hooked up to a landline if one still has one!

Yes that switchboard certainly brings back strong memories. Down here I recall they were still in operation well into the 60s. I could imagine the kids would be delighted by what you have created-well done.

#1657 4 years ago

Here's a 1930 Pre-Dial Western Electric payphone. I've had it for 40 years. Still can be used as an extension if wired through a ringer box. Yup, it's for sale.

IMG_4384 (resized).jpgIMG_4384 (resized).jpg
#1658 4 years ago

Is that a DuGrenier tab gum machine on the left?

#1659 4 years ago
Quoted from belairjoe:

how was the jukebox show?..any thing good in the parking lot before the show? thanks..

I was there very early on Friday, a lot of people still setting up, and I needed to get in and out unfortunately. But...yes, loaded with amazing stuff. And the parking lot seemed to be in full effect too.

#1660 4 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Is that a DuGrenier tab gum machine on the left?

Yup

IMG_5060 (resized).jpgIMG_5060 (resized).jpg
#1661 4 years ago

I have 2 Williams Ten Strike partial machines listed in the classifieds.

#1662 4 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

Yup[quoted image]

Looked real familiar. I just restored one, and filled it with gum packages that I had to produce and load with gum.

DuGrenier-4-column-adams (resized).jpgDuGrenier-4-column-adams (resized).jpg

#1663 4 years ago

Turned my bowler on the other day. Heard a louder than usual buzzing sound. Opened the back door and saw smoke coming from this area on the lower right hand side of the door. Bad coil? Any ideas what I should look for? This is my first bowler/em.

smoke (resized).jpegsmoke (resized).jpeg
#1664 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Turned my bowler on the other day. Heard a louder than usual buzzing sound. Opened the back door and saw smoke coming from this area on the lower right hand side of the door. Bad coil? Any ideas what I should look for? This is my first bowler/em.[quoted image]

something caused the coil to lock on. like a stuck switch.
get the schematic for it, you made need professional help with it. (not me)

#1665 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Turned my bowler on the other day. Heard a louder than usual buzzing sound.

Is that the Game Over coil? When energized, if it stays latched, the coil
will remain energize and eventually burn out..
In the pic it's latched (in the reset position), so I assume for some reason
it stuck and didn't go into the energized position which prevented it from opening
a set of contacts within itself that would have broken the current to its circuitry..

#1666 4 years ago

Looks like it was stuck. Is this in the right position now? Coil probably toasted?

20191119_172120 (resized).jpg20191119_172120 (resized).jpg20191119_172129 (resized).jpg20191119_172129 (resized).jpg
#1667 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Looks like it was stuck. Is this in the right position now? Coil probably toasted?

That's the Reset Coil. I don't think it remained energized, so it's probably okay, but it certainly
looks stuck which would cause the (I believe it's the) Game Over Relay not to drop in the reset
position thus wasn't able to break it's own circuitry. That larger Bank Reset coil's plunger shouldn't be stuck
inside of it's sleeve holding the reset bar up. There's another Reset Coil at the other end of the bar,
right? How's that one look and is there any indication that that one is causing the bar to remain upward.
The bar should fall downward on its own weight, but there is suppose to be a spring to help it to do so..

#1668 4 years ago

I manually move the bar up/down. Turned it on and no loud buzzing or smoke.
Then I threw a ball and the pins didn't reset. It's now stuck on 6player because nothing is resetting.
The bar did drop after I started the game.

Sorry if I'm struggling a bit, first em and learning as I type

#1669 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

The bar did drop after I started the game.

So the machine did reset, but stayed on the 6th player.
Are you sure the coil that got hot isn't burned out and blew the fuse,
or maybe the coil is still okay but weakened the fuse (30V fuse)
and at start up, the fuse blew. I'd check the 30V fuse..

#1670 4 years ago

I'll check. Thanks.

4 weeks later
#1671 4 years ago

Just completed resto of an Exhibit Supply 1930s trading card vending machine-this one dispenses autographed pics of female movie stars. The machine had gone through at least two repaints-blue and red and I have now returned it to fairly close to the original colour. A few repairs to the dispensing mechanism and it is now fully operational with original keys for the back door lock and cash drawer. I was able to acquire a set of original cards. I continue to be enthralled by the design and engineering of these early machines.

canon18122019 007 (resized).JPGcanon18122019 007 (resized).JPG

canon18122019 008 (resized).JPGcanon18122019 008 (resized).JPG

canon18122019 011 (resized).JPGcanon18122019 011 (resized).JPG

canon18122019 012 (resized).JPGcanon18122019 012 (resized).JPG

canon18122019 013 (resized).JPGcanon18122019 013 (resized).JPG

#1672 4 years ago

That's a nice conversation starter Wayner. Very cool addition.

1 week later
#1673 4 years ago

Had a family party and the bowler was a big hit. Did have a couple instances where a six player game was accidentally started. Should power cycling the game reset that? I tried but it would come back on with all games still loaded.

#1674 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Should power cycling the game reset that? I

Turning the machine off de-energizes the Lock Relay. Once turned back on, the Game Over
Relay should energize through a set of closed switches in the Lock Relay, then you're able
to give it a fresh restart. Also, once it's off the 1st frame, it should also reset for a new game..

#1675 4 years ago

Huh. I'll have to look at that. I didn't think it was working properly.

#1676 4 years ago

Sometimes a burnt lock relay coil gets worked around by adjusting switches closed. This would cause the game to restart in the same state it was in when turned off.

#1677 4 years ago

Picked up a couple old gun games over the weekend.
Old operator friend of mine had these sitting up on a shelf in a hard to reach area and was finally able to get them down. They're pretty dirty and a little beat up but look complete.
They were up on the shelf for about 45-50 years and hopefully I can get them going again.

20191228_203304 (resized).jpg20191228_203304 (resized).jpg20191229_121559 (resized).jpg20191229_121559 (resized).jpg
#1678 4 years ago
Quoted from KJIa:

Old operator friend of mine had these sitting up on a shelf

That's pretty cool. Has to be from the 1940s.
Was it your Friend's Dad that had purchased the machines back then?

#1679 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

That's pretty cool. Has to be from the 1940s.
Was it your Friend's Dad that had purchased the machines back then?

1947 and 1949. Yes his Dad operated the business for several decades up until the late 90's when he took over.
We'd had a deal in place for a couple years but didn't have a good way to get them down with just a bunch of crap in the way.
He passed away a few months ago and they're trying to clear some of the old junk out and we could finally get to them.

#1680 4 years ago
Quoted from KJIa:

they're trying to clear some of the old junk out and we could finally get to them.

It sounds like because they were hard to get to, is the reason they remained up there for all
these years. Before throwing away, might there be anything else, even parts? 4", 6", 8" pins
for bowlers. Any old motors maybe kinda hidden. It'd be ashame if things that could be used
got thrown out..

#1681 4 years ago
Quoted from KJIa:

Picked up a couple old gun games over the weekend.
Old operator friend of mine had these sitting up on a shelf in a hard to reach area and was finally able to get them down. They're pretty dirty and a little beat up but look complete.
They were up on the shelf for about 45-50 years and hopefully I can get them going again.[quoted image][quoted image]

The silver bullets is a nice game ,but tricky to get to operate correctly. I just restored one. Let me know if you have any questions onoperations.I might be able to help.

100_4448 (resized).jpg100_4448 (resized).jpg
#1682 4 years ago

Girls love a bowler....

xmas (resized).jpgxmas (resized).jpg
#1683 4 years ago
Quoted from plgg3:

The silver bullets is a nice game ,but tricky to get to operate correctly. I just restored one. Let me know if you have any questions onoperations.I might be able to help.[quoted image]

That’s a nice looking game. Do you have any videos of game play? It’s a game you don’t see very often.

#1684 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Sometimes a burnt lock relay coil gets worked around by adjusting switches closed. This would cause the game to restart in the same state it was in when turned off.

Lock relay is deenergizing properly. Looks like the game over coil is not. What should I check to fix that?

#1685 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Lock relay is deenergizing properly. Looks like the game over coil is not. What should I check to fix that?

What are you saying, when the game is over, the Game Over Relay remains energized and then buzz?
If so, that relay is not meant to stay energized like the Lock Relay. It'll burn out..
Once the Game Over Relay energizes, there a set of switches within' itself that should break (open) which
cuts its circuit..

#1686 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

That’s a nice looking game. Do you have any videos of game play? It’s a game you don’t see very often.

Sorry no video of this game. But It can be played as a single player or 2 player game. The 45 caliber guns feel just like a colt 1911 and have a good 110 volt re-coil on them. You have 45 shots for a nickel no timer. 4 hillbillies move in and out from the out house. You can shoot at any target even the moonshine jugs when light. Fastest gun wins. Very loud game ,every shot goes to a cab knocker every hit sounds a bell.With 2 players it is a fast game.Rapid fire guns.

100_4454 (resized).jpg100_4454 (resized).jpg
#1687 4 years ago

This looks amazing!

#1688 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

It sounds like because they were hard to get to, is the reason they remained up there for all
these years. Before throwing away, might there be anything else, even parts? 4", 6", 8" pins
for bowlers. Any old motors maybe kinda hidden. It'd be ashame if things that could be used
got thrown out..

Haven't found really much that might be useful but did find a box with 3-8" pins and some larger ones.
Also a few pin hangers for the larger pins?
Got a bunch of old game keys too. Don't know if the keys are worth anything but I've got a bunch of them.
If anyone is looking for a certain key let me know and I'll see what I have or could get more pictures if interested.

20200101_192301 (resized).jpg20200101_192301 (resized).jpg20200101_192342 (resized).jpg20200101_192342 (resized).jpg20200101_192525 (resized).jpg20200101_192525 (resized).jpg20200101_192553 (resized).jpg20200101_192553 (resized).jpg
#1689 4 years ago

edit: Sorry, wrong thread, I want the EM part seeking one.

#1690 4 years ago
Quoted from KJIa:

Haven't found really much that might be useful but did find a box with 3-8" pins and some larger ones.
Also a few pin hangers for the larger pins?
Got a bunch of old game keys too. Don't know if the keys are worth anything but I've got a bunch of them.
If anyone is looking for a certain key let me know and I'll see what I have or could get more pictures if interested.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Damn, that would even make the janitor we had in grade school jealous. Of course, you need to put all those keys on one of those fancy rings with the retractable chain that you wear on your belt.

2 weeks later
#1691 4 years ago

Just finished a full resto on a Groetchen 1940s IMP trade stimulator. These are a fun little slot which create quite a deal of interest in a gameroom. These are one of the smallest stimulators manufactured. It has a flap suggesting it is a radio to deter enquiry by Authorities (doubt it would achieve that) but lifting the flap reveals the true identity-a gambling machine. It is a 1c machine and dispenses a gumball with each pull. The machine, I think, has come up quite nice.

canon18012020 015 (resized).JPGcanon18012020 015 (resized).JPGcanon18012020 016 (resized).JPGcanon18012020 016 (resized).JPGcanon18012020 017 (resized).JPGcanon18012020 017 (resized).JPGcanon18012020 018 (resized).JPGcanon18012020 018 (resized).JPG
#1692 4 years ago

That's a neat little machine!

#1693 4 years ago

Wow, i love that machine! So compact.

#1694 4 years ago

This is a Mike Gorski reproduction of the circa. 1900 Roover Bros. "Puss in Boots" fortune teller. When a penny is placed in the slot and the handle on the right side of the machine is pulled, a series of motions occur. The cat dips his head, his arm holding a dustpan style tray receives a card from the vendor while his right hand, which holds a cane, lifts the lid of the wicker basket, and his body turns to drop your fortune from his tray, all while the cat’s head turns and nods.

pussinboots (resized).jpgpussinboots (resized).jpg
#1695 4 years ago

Thanks oldcarz I was curious what this looked like in motion - here's a YouTube video I found

#1696 4 years ago

Incredible!

#1697 4 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Thanks oldcarz I was curious what this looked like in motion - here's a YouTube video I found

Yes, the previous owner posted the video a few years ago. It, of course, plays and looks the same today in my home. Thank you for posting.

Interesting is that it is totally mechanical. The only electric is for the light bulb.

#1698 4 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Interesting is that it is totally mechanical. The only electric is for the light bulb.

Wow, I did not realize that. Very interesting as it opens up possibilities for placing it anywhere since the light can easily be recreated with LED and battery

#1699 4 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Just finished a full resto on a Groetchen 1940s IMP trade stimulator. These are a fun little slot which create quite a deal of interest in a gameroom. These are one of the smallest stimulators manufactured. It has a flap suggesting it is a radio to deter enquiry by Authorities (doubt it would achieve that) but lifting the flap reveals the true identity-a gambling machine. It is a 1c machine and dispenses a gumball with each pull. The machine, I think, has come up quite nice.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! I have the cigarette version.
Anyone looking to buy one of these (they’re not uncommon) should look for a broken lip on the gum door. Half the ones I see have the issue. You won’t be able to get the gum ball out!
Nice job on that IMP.

#1700 4 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Looks great! I have the cigarette version.
Anyone looking to buy one of these (they’re not uncommon) should look for a broken lip on the gum door. Half the ones I see have the issue. You won’t be able to get the gum ball out!
Nice job on that IMP.

Thks presqueisle. I found this a fun and very logical machine to strip and restore. One thing I might mention is that it is really important to keep the leather cup within the damper well lubricated with oil to ensure it retains its shape and is air tight which controls the spin cycle of the reels.

There are 2,537 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 51.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-em-bowlers-mechanical-and-old-electrical-toys-in-your-gameroom/page/34?hl=ballycrazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.