Show us your EM Bowlers, Mechanical, and old Electrical Toys in your Gameroom!

Topic is favorited by 65 Pinsiders.

By EM-PINMAN

3 years ago

Stats

• Started 3 years ago
  • 905 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by catalina

Find posts in this topic

Find posts in this topic match certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Topic Gallery

bolts 1 (resized).JPG
playfield_relay_bank (resized).jpg
IMG_0850 (resized).JPG
IMG_1556 (resized).JPG
20170428_183518 (resized).jpg
20170416_124413 (resized).jpg
img007 (resized).jpg
canon23042017 007 (resized).JPG
canon23042017 002 (resized).JPG
canon23042017 012 (resized).JPG

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

There are 905 posts in topic. You are on page 16 of 19.
    #751 3 months ago

Gosh I'd drive that far too. I have never been near one of those, It would be the game to play in my basement. Thanks for sharing.

#752 3 months ago

Thanks guys!

I actually made the drive twice! The first time was in December to take a look at the game in person and put a deposit down on it. The seller was very nice to allow me to do that and hold it for me while I put together the remainder of the funds. Monday was the pick up and I was blessed with a sunny day in the upper 40's (unusual weather for February in these parts).

With another pitch and bat making it's way into the state of Wisconsin I think it is time to see if anyone is interested in a traveling baseball league. How about it guys, it seems that we have the games, do we have the interest?

In between innings we can bowl & shoot!

059 (resized).JPG

063 (resized).JPG

#753 3 months ago

Very nice Star Slugger. Bat-a-Score might be the most unique P&B I've played,
    but Star Slugger for me is the better player of them all..
    Surely a machine to be proud of..

#754 3 months ago
    Quoted from bek1966:

time to see if anyone is interested in a traveling baseball league. How about it guys, it seems that we have the games, do we have the interest?

Picture of bar please.

#755 3 months ago

Well, it's more of a Kitchenette and it's around the corner. But I do have the back fender and seat from a Cushman scooter (you can just barely make it out in the first picture above) that you can use for a bar stool!

#756 3 months ago

Wow a wonderful pick up-no doubt well worth every hour & every mile you travelled.

#757 3 months ago
    Quoted from bek1966:

Well, it's more of a Kitchenette and it's around the corner. But I do have the back fender and seat from a Cushman scooter (you can just barely make it out in the first picture above) that you can use for a bar stool!

Well alright it looks like we have a league forming:)

#758 3 months ago

I'm going to have to find a beer sign and a Muskie to hang on the wall now

muskybar (resized).jpg

#759 3 months ago
    Quoted from bek1966:

I had a great day on Monday.

That game is beautiful. Looks like it just cleared your soffit!

#760 3 months ago

Thanks. I measured it when I went to look at it in December and confirmed that it would fit on that wall. Even so, I got a little nervous when I put the legs on it and began sliding it into place! I had a couple of other places for the game if it was too tall. I really wanted it near the Rifle Gallery and the Bowling Alley - I'm glad it fit.

#761 3 months ago
    Quoted from bek1966:

I'm going to have to find a beer sign and a Muskie to hang on the wall now

"Northwoods tavern" is my gameroom motif.

#762 3 months ago

"Northwoods tavern" is my state of mind!

#763 3 months ago
    Quoted from bek1966:

"Northwoods tavern" is my state of mind!

Yeah take a look at Alex's game room pics :-/=. I might have to rip out my 'disco' and start over:)

#764 3 months ago

@bek1966. I don't suppose yours has the card stapled above the score motor that shows what each stack does? If so is there any chance you could take a good picture of it? Mine is missing.

#765 3 months ago

I think that this is the card that you are looking for is it? Shoot me an email if you want a larger photo. bekarchitect@wi.rr.com

026 (resized).JPG

#766 3 months ago

That's the one, I'll shoot you an email. Thanks

#767 3 months ago

Photos sent via email John. Good luck!

#768 3 months ago
    Quoted from bek1966:

Thanks guys!
    I actually made the drive twice! The first time was in December to take a look at the game in person and put a deposit down on it. The seller was very nice to allow me to do that and hold it for me while I put together the remainder of the funds. Monday was the pick up and I was blessed with a sunny day in the upper 40's (unusual weather for February in these parts).
    With another pitch and bat making it's way into the state of Wisconsin I think it is time to see if anyone is interested in a traveling baseball league. How about it guys, it seems that we have the games, do we have the interest?

Congratulations on acquiring a Star Slugger in great condition! United Manufacturing understood just how much us future collectors would covet this game. They even designed the cabinet like a coffin so that our wives could bury us in it. . .happy to be the running men of the afterlife, rounding the diamond for eternity in that EM arcade in the sky they call heaven.

#769 3 months ago

Yep, a Super Homer to the stars

#770 3 months ago

I'm still on the hint for a ball bowler (bit of a project) (Also have my rifle game up for sale). I'm curious if anyone knows the manufacturing numbers on ball bowlers vs shuffle bowlers. Seems like it has to be at least 10 to 1 more shuffle alley.

#771 87 days ago

Here's a little 1937 Groetchen 'Ginger' trade stimulator. Simple game as a slot, but I thought the original condition was great. Thanks for the lead AF:) A nice little art deco piece. A penny can win you 1,2, 3, 5 or 10 packs of cigarettes! You need to get three packs in a row, and then a token showing the winning amount will be paid out the side. This would then be given to the store/bar owner for a payout. 7 brands on the reels. Chesterfield, Old Gold, Twenty Grand, Kool, Wings, Camel and Lucky Strike. Since the packs of cigs advertised on the machine were at 15 cents, I decided to try the odds. 200 try's, 2 wins!
    Pretty good return for the operator, as long as the big hits were limited

IMG_2251 (resized).JPG

IMG_2252 (resized).JPG

#772 86 days ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

7 brands on the reels. Chesterfield, Old Gold, Twenty Grand, Kool, Wings, Camel and Lucky Strike. Since the packs of cigs advertised on the machine were at 15 cents, I decided to try the odds. 200 try's, 2 wins!

The odds of 3 of a kind, if totally random, would be 1 in 49. I wonder if there is a design to cut the odds in half, or if you just had some bad luck?
    Would the value tokens be inserted randomly and evenly? That is an obvious and easy way for an operator to reduce payout costs.

If there was even distribution of token values, the expected value of a win would be a 4.2 ([10+5+3+2+1] / 5), or 63 cents.
    If there is no... what's the word the bingo machines use to change odds? proportioning?
    63 / 49 gives an expected result value of 1.28 cents per penny played, so chances are the distribution of the tokens is such that an expected win value would be closer to 1.5, or 22.5 cents. (i.e. mostly 1 tokens, a few 2, and just a single of 3, 5, 10, if included at all)
    That would reduce the expected return to under half a cent, so lots of room for operator profit.

Cool item!

#773 86 days ago
    Quoted from cait001:

The odds of 3 of a kind, if totally random, would be 1 in 49. I wonder if there is a design to cut the odds in half, or if you just had some bad luck?
    Would the value tokens be inserted randomly and evenly? That is an obvious and easy way for an operator to reduce payout costs.
    If there was even distribution of token values, the expected value of a win would be a 4.2 ([10+5+3+2+1] / 5), or 63 cents.
    If there is no... what's the word the bingo machines use to change odds? proportioning?
    63 / 49 gives an expected result value of 1.28 cents per penny played, so chances are the distribution of the tokens is such that an expected win value would be closer to 1.5, or 22.5 cents. (i.e. mostly 1 tokens, a few 2, and just a single of 3, 5, 10, if included at all)
    That would reduce the expected return to under half a cent, so lots of room for operator profit.
    Cool item!

I think you miscalculated the odds. 1 in 49 would be correct only if one wheel had only 1 type of cigarette. I believe true odds would be 1 in 342 because it would be 7 x 7 x 7 for 342 possible combinations. Yes, no?

#774 86 days ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Cool item!

Thanks! You know, if I ever go to Vegas I might invite you along:)

Purely mechanical randomness, so I guess I was 'unlucky'. The person with the keys sets the rules with these, so if they wanted to fill the token chute with all 1 and 2 pack winners they could. Although folks may catch on after winning, and hearing about other winners. Then the proprietor would be known as a cheapskate! And everyone would say, "That guy could put coal down his shorts and end up with diamonds..etc". Then you'd have to put in a 'big win' token once in awhile just so you could say, "hey, see?, it's all random, try it again, they're in there". I assume this is how it all went down.

#775 86 days ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I think you miscalculated the odds. 1 in 49 would be correct only if one wheel had only 1 type of cigarette. I believe true odds would be 1 in 342 because it would be 7 x 7 x 7? Yes, no?

If one reel had only one type, then the odds would be pretty big then to match three reels together.

edit: Just ONE reel having one brand. I see what you mean now.

#776 86 days ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

If one reel had only one type, then the odds would be pretty big then to match three reels together.

Not at all. Lets look at a daily pick 3 lottery. 000 through 999, or 1 in 1000 odds, Calculated as 10 x 10 x 10 = 1000 . Make any one digit a constant, the odds drop drastically to 1 in 100. Lets say you make the middle #5 all the time, it is calculated as 10 x 1 x 10 = 100

Now, take the cig slot machine. Make one reel only camel cigs, that is a constant, makes the calculation 1 x 7 x 7 or 1 in 49.

So yeah, the real odds on that cig machine is 1 in 342.

#777 86 days ago

You gotta watch those machines. Many of them have 20 symbols per reel, but there are only 10 stops. So you would disregard the in-between symbols when you're calculating the odds. It's an old trick they used for the one-arm-bandits back in the 30's.

#778 86 days ago

Yep caught that, thanks. 1 in 342, mine is too loose! Actually the person I bought it from was testing it, and I saw he had won and a coin rolled out. I said, "hey you won". He said, "huh". I said, "yeah, right there, you won". He was very surprised. He said it had only happened once before, and he was glad to see it still works.

#779 86 days ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I think you miscalculated the odds. 1 in 49 would be correct only if one wheel had only 1 type of cigarette. I believe true odds would be 1 in 342 because it would be 7 x 7 x 7 for 342 possible combinations. Yes, no?

That would be the odds of winning a specific brand. The only consideration is if wheels 2 and 3 match wheel 1, which can be any brand.

#780 86 days ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

You gotta watch those machines. Many of them have 20 symbols per reel, but there are only 10 stops. So you would disregard the in-between symbols when you're calculating the odds. It's an old trick they used for the one-arm-bandits back in the 30's.

They adapted that old trick for new digital slot machines to maximize how SO CLOSE every spin result looks.

#781 86 days ago
    Quoted from cait001:

That would be the odds of winning a specific brand. The only consideration is if wheels 2 and 3 match wheel 1, which can be any brand.

If that's for a specific brand, and there are 7 brands.. 342 div by 7= 49 ish ??

Sorry to fill this up with math..but I do find it interesting, even though I'm bad at math myself.

#782 86 days ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

If that's for a specific brand, and there are 7 brands.. 342 div by 7= 49 ish ??

Yes, 1 in 343 (7^3) would be the odds for each specific brand.
    7 brands, so total odds of just a win is 7 / 343, which reduces to 1 / 49.

#783 86 days ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Yes, 1 in 343 (7^3) would be the odds for each specific brand.
    7 brands, so total odds of just a win is 7 / 343, which reduces to 1 / 49.

You cannot reduce odds that way.

Again, lets use lottery as an example. If you to play daily just the triples, 000, 111, 222, through 999 that's 10 chances in 1000. BUT it does not drop your odds from 10/1000 to 1/100 because there are still 990 numbers you would not win with. It makes your odds 10 in 1000 or 1 in 990.

Same with the cig slot machine there are only 7 winning combinations out of 343, so no, your odds are not 1 in 49 its 7 in 343 or 1 in 336. .

#784 86 days ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

You cannot reduce odds that way.
    Again, lets use lottery as an example. If you to play daily just the triples, 000, 111, 222, through 999 that's 10 chances in 1000. BUT it does not drop your odds from 10/1000 to 1/100 because there are still 990 numbers you would not win with. It makes your odds 10 in 1000 or 1 in 990.
    Same with the cig slot machine there are only 7 winning combinations out of 343, so no, your odds are not 1 in 49 its 7 in 343 or 1 in 336. .

10 / 1000 = 0.01
    1 / 100 = 0.01

7 / 343 = 0.0204081632653061
    1 / 49 = 0.0204081632653061

Those are the odds of having (a minimum of) one win in each scenario.

Take the inverse of your example:
    There are 990 losers in 1000 combinations. Odds of a single draw being a loser? 990/1000 = 99.0%
    Then there are 99 losers in 100 combinations. Odds of a single draw being a loser? 99/100 = 99.0%

#785 86 days ago

I figure in the heated discussion of odds, I would share this

IMG_9295 (resized).JPG

IMG_9296 (resized).JPG

IMG_9297 (resized).JPG

#786 86 days ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Sorry, no more math for me.
    And what a super cool machine. Any chance you have a gameplay video of it?

#787 86 days ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Nice! Not so easy of a machine to get a hold of..
    Does yours have a Reo-Stat to weaken/strengthen the Golfer?
    Mine has a spot for one, but with no loose wires, it appears one
    was never installed..
    I plan on putting one in. A weaker swing should give better scores.
    Presently the ball elevates higher than it should going up the ramps
    thus not hitting the targets squarely..

#788 85 days ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Nice! Not so easy of a machine to get a hold of..
    Does yours have a Reo-Stat to weaken/strengthen the Golfer?
    Mine has a spot for one, but with no loose wires, it appears one
    was never installed..
    I plan on putting one in. A weaker swing should give better scores.
    Presently the ball elevates higher than it should going up the ramps
    thus not hitting the targets squarely..

I am not sure if it has the reostat. I will have to check that out. It is a fully operational game.

Quoted from cait001:

Sorry, no more math for me.
    And what a super cool machine. Any chance you have a gameplay video of it?

There is a few gameplay videos of this game online.

#789 85 days ago

Also figured I would share this as well.

IMG_9352 (resized).JPG

IMG_9354 (resized).JPG

IMG_9353 (resized).JPG

IMG_9356 (resized).JPG

#790 85 days ago
    Quoted from cait001:

10 / 1000 = 0.01
    1 / 100 = 0.01
    7 / 343 = 0.0204081632653061
    1 / 49 = 0.0204081632653061
    Those are the odds of having (a minimum of) one win in each scenario.
    Take the inverse of your example:
    There are 990 losers in 1000 combinations. Odds of a single draw being a loser? 990/1000 = 99.0%
    Then there are 99 losers in 100 combinations. Odds of a single draw being a loser? 99/100 = 99.0%

Actually, you are correct. I was incorrectly using percentages vs odds.

#791 82 days ago

If johnny trades his lucky quarter to Jane for two nickels, one dime, and five pennies (assuming she traded fairly this time)...what ratio of Johnnys coins will wind up in this stamp machine vs spent on attempting to win free packs of his favorite cigarettes?

KIMG1785 (resized).jpg

#792 82 days ago

Unit is unlocked, but no key...anbody know if it's possible to get a key for something like this??

KIMG1786 (resized).jpg

#793 81 days ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

If johnny trades his lucky quarter to Jane for two nickels, one dime, and five pennies (assuming she traded fairly this time)...what ratio of Johnnys coins will wind up in this stamp machine vs spent on attempting to win free packs of his favorite cigarettes?

Since the cig machine takes cents only, I'll say 5 goes into there, and then probably zero coins into the stamp machine:)

Cool little machine. The 'sanitary' part threw me off, and I had to look real close to see what it was selling.

#794 81 days ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Since the cig machine takes cents only, I'll say 5 goes into there, and then probably zero coins into the stamp machine:)
    Cool little machine. The 'sanitary' part threw me off, and I had to look real close to see what it was selling.

Ahh! But, I asked for a ratio!! Lol.

Ya, when I first saw "sanitary" I was a little thrown too. Once I was past that, I still laughed at it. I guuueessss someone tearing apart stamps and placing in little folded pieces of carboard is cleaner for me to lick.?

Interesting to me is that there are 3 or 4 packs of stamps still in it and they each have only 4 pieces of 1 cent stamps. I kind of wondered if they were just missing some, or if the cafe this sat at was making money,(charging a nickle for 4c worth of stamps). It would make sense that they would profit from it, I just never used stamp vendors other than postal ones I guess. It didn't have any left in dime slot. I'm guessing 3 pieces of 3 cent stamps maybe as machine patent is from 1947/48 and I believe I previously saw that postage was 3 cents at the time....

I also enjoyed the little piece of paper sitting in the bottom on the machine's original shipping method.

KIMG1788 (resized).jpg
    KIMG1787 (resized).jpg

#795 81 days ago

Here's a United Shooting Star I've had for a while

Shooting Star 1 (resized).jpg
    Shooting Star 5 (resized).jpg
    Shooting Star 6 (resized).jpg

And a video showing it in action

http://www.funwithpinball.com/shooting-star

#796 75 days ago

Hey Mark, Is that vertical like a rifle game ?
    Looks like Vanguard.

#797 75 days ago

1934 Groetchen 21 Vendor / trade stimulator.
    A Black Jack 5 card slot that takes cents thru quarters. First two cards given, then you need to try your luck flipping open up to 3 more windows. Payouts for 19,20,21 and Black Jack on the 'last coin played' value, shown in a little side window. I believe a quarter was about $4.50 ish, and a payout of 20 for a Black Jack would pay close to $90, in today's money. But even if you lost you'd still receive one piece of gum, since it was really just a fun gumball machine. wink wink

IMG_2293 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2300 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2302 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2306 (resized).JPG

#798 75 days ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Hey Mark, Is that vertical like a rifle game ?

The balls rest in the bottom of the cabinet and are launched up when the puck hits the switches. They're reflected in a 45 degree mirror though so to the player it looks like they're launching horizontally right at you.

#799 74 days ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

they're launching horizontally right at you

so cool.
    Where did you find that one?

#800 74 days ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

so cool.
    Where did you find that one?

I got it from a friend in MA ages ago. I don't know where he got it, but an operator from Montreal stamped his name all over the inside at some point.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 129.99
    $ 87.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 45.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.95
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 1,029.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 399.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    PinballBulbs
    $ 59.00
    $ 159.00
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinbology
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    There are 905 posts in topic. You are on page 16 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.