(Topic ID: 87707)

Show us your EM Bowlers, Mechanical, and old Electrical Toys in your Gameroom!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CC Pro Basketball Door Adjustment Instructions.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_20240403_091144868-1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091218493_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091144868 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091444107 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091233305_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091248106 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091243897 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091306542 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_085015166 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091131492 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091444107 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091306542 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091253676_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091350919 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240403_091327118 (resized).jpg
There are 2,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 51.
#501 8 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Here's my Bally ABC bowler next to a skee ball machine. The bowler is 14 ft. long:
bally-bowler-skee-ball_(resized).jpg
And a United puck bowler, 11 ft. long:
united-puck-bowler_(resized).jpg
This 1948 United "Wisconsin" pinball is unique in that it is called a "Roll-Across" design. When playing the ball, there is no shooter; you press a lever and the ball drops into a pocket outside the machine. Then you pick up the ball, and roll it across the playfield glass, which then drops into the playfield. Apparently, in 1948, shooter-equipped pinballs were illegal due to "chance" win, where rolling the ball added skill, which then made it legal.
wisconsin-pin_(resized).jpg
Here is a 1933 Mills trade stimulator "Bell Boy". It is actually a big-time gambling machine that takes any coin denomination. Works with numbers, not symbols, and will give you a gumball if you choose. That was pretty much a smoke screen to make it look like a glorified gumball machine instead of a slot machine.
bellboy-trade-stimulator_(resized).jpg
1911 National cash register, restored:
national-cash-register_(resized).jpg
Lineup of old portable TV's, 1 inch CRT. They came equipped with a magnifier attached to the front to make the picture larger:
little-tvs01_(resized).jpg

I find your eclectic and minimalist design to be refreshing. Please don't adulterate the ambiance with cliche neon beer signs.

#502 8 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Here's my Bally ABC bowler next to a skee ball machine. The bowler is 14 ft. long:
bally-bowler-skee-ball_(resized).jpg
And a United puck bowler, 11 ft. long:
united-puck-bowler_(resized).jpg
This 1948 United "Wisconsin" pinball is unique in that it is called a "Roll-Across" design. When playing the ball, there is no shooter; you press a lever and the ball drops into a pocket outside the machine. Then you pick up the ball, and roll it across the playfield glass, which then drops into the playfield. Apparently, in 1948, shooter-equipped pinballs were illegal due to "chance" win, where rolling the ball added skill, which then made it legal.
wisconsin-pin_(resized).jpg
Here is a 1933 Mills trade stimulator "Bell Boy". It is actually a big-time gambling machine that takes any coin denomination. Works with numbers, not symbols, and will give you a gumball if you choose. That was pretty much a smoke screen to make it look like a glorified gumball machine instead of a slot machine.
bellboy-trade-stimulator_(resized).jpg
1911 National cash register, restored:
national-cash-register_(resized).jpg
Lineup of old portable TV's, 1 inch CRT. They came equipped with a magnifier attached to the front to make the picture larger:
little-tvs01_(resized).jpg

Agreed that the early machines that vended mints, gums, cigarettes, golf balls, etc. were "smoke screens" to allegedly hide the gambling intent. No one took the gum or mints out the machine, anyway, they were usually stale and sometimes the operator would wink and tell the customer that they were dummy packages for display purposes.

Here's some of my mechanical toys:
c. 1929 Mills Poinsettia with mint vender
c. 1938 Watling Rol A Top in a Dick Delong carved pirate. Interesting specimen since Watlings were usually not used in the character slots.
c. 1935 Mills Dice - slot machine where you can actually play craps. Different multiple bets are possible and the mechanism uses real dice.
c. 1938 Watling Rol A Top in factory console
c. 1959 Bally Skill Derby
c. 1920s Rockola 5 Jack's trade stimulator
c. 1932 Exhibit Steeplechase trade stimulator
c. 1933 Buckley Baby Shoes trade stimulator
c. 1932 Pace Lucky Strike trade stimulator
c. 1928 National Novelty Knock Out fighters
c. 1951 Williams Music Mite - only year that Williams tried making a juke box. Plays 10 45rpm records.

1929_Mills_poinsettia_(resized).jpg1929_Mills_poinsettia_(resized).jpg

watling_pirate_(resized).jpgwatling_pirate_(resized).jpg

1935_Mills_Dice_1938_Watling_console_(resized).jpg1935_Mills_Dice_1938_Watling_console_(resized).jpg

1959_Skill_Derby_(resized).jpg1959_Skill_Derby_(resized).jpg

1920s_Rockola_5Jacks_1932_Exhibit_supply_steeplechase_(resized).jpg1920s_Rockola_5Jacks_1932_Exhibit_supply_steeplechase_(resized).jpg

1933_Buckley_Baby_Shoes__1932_Pace_Lucky_Strike_(resized).jpg1933_Buckley_Baby_Shoes__1932_Pace_Lucky_Strike_(resized).jpg

1928_Knockout_fighters_(resized).jpg1928_Knockout_fighters_(resized).jpg

1951_Williams_Music_Mite_(resized).jpg1951_Williams_Music_Mite_(resized).jpg

#503 8 years ago

You have got some serious antique stuff there. Very cool. Trade stimulators come in all sizes...

I am after a rol-a-top to add to my other antiques...only because it was used on an episode of Twilight Zone and I'm a huge TZ fan.

#504 8 years ago

Picked up this 1967 Bally World Cup soccer game about a month ago.

Full_Game_v2_(resized).jpgFull_Game_v2_(resized).jpg

Game_lit_up_v2_(resized).jpgGame_lit_up_v2_(resized).jpg

I remember playing one as a kid but looks like they are pretty rare (IPDB has production at 908) and seems like many of them were destined for Europe (which makes sense since the World Cup was just played in England in 1966). Also, my manual shows a European 230v model in addition to the US 115v model.

My game worked pretty well but needed a thorough cleaning. I purchased 3/4" white plastic ball bearings to supplement the original balls that were in the machine. The ball return mechanism only works if you have exactly 10 balls in the feeding mechanism!

As you can see, the players move via an ingenious system of pulleys and 'ropes' that are run off a large electric motor! (how cool!). Players go forward and back very quickly.

Inside_Game_(resized).jpgInside_Game_(resized).jpg

World_Cup_Player_Mechanism_v2_(resized).jpgWorld_Cup_Player_Mechanism_v2_(resized).jpg

Game play is time based and can be set in 30 second increments from 1.5 to 5 minutes. Mine still has the pin in the factory default position of 3.5 minutes. Neat feature is that a buzzer goes off when you have about 10 seconds left in the game! Scoring is indicated by lights up to 19 goals per team (which I can't imagine reaching, our high so far is 7 goals).

The players were very dirty and after cleaning them, I repainted the generic "red vs blue" teams using '66 World Cup uniforms as a guide for two long time WC rivals: England (Red shirt w/ white shorts) vs Argentina (Blue & White shirt w/ black shorts).

Player_Close_Up_v2_(resized).jpgPlayer_Close_Up_v2_(resized).jpg

Fun game for two and like Foosball or Super Chexx hockey, even better with four people. Takes awhile to get the hang of it, but you can make some really nice runs and kicks and of course, goalie saves. Haven't mastered passing the ball yet!

Interesting that this is only game like this that Bally made - it must not have been a big success. No real surprise I guess as soccer was very small in the US back then and you HAVE to have at least two people to play the game (unlike a pitch and bat which is more fun for two but can definitely be played solo).

Still, I'm very happy with it and it looks great in the 'mini' arcade I'm putting together in my basement (more pics on that later). If anyone else knows the history/background of this game, would love to hear about it.

#505 8 years ago

Looks great. Very fun game.

#506 8 years ago

I remember playing this game here in England in the 1960s - and although I had/have no interest in soccer, I remember it being fun to play. Haven't given it a thought since then - so thanks for reviving a 50-year-old memory!

#507 8 years ago

Very cool soccer game! Thanks for showing the insides and the operation diagram - neat stuff

#508 8 years ago

Thks for sharing it looks a wonderful game in a super condition

#509 8 years ago

Here's a '41 Chicago Coin All Star Hockey I found in a damp basement long ago that's more fun than it looks

ASH1_sm_(resized).jpgASH1_sm_(resized).jpg
ASH2_sm_(resized).jpgASH2_sm_(resized).jpg

and a goofy place to keep some retired pinballs. I don't dare put more in there...
Gumball_(resized).jpgGumball_(resized).jpg

/Mark

#510 8 years ago

All Star Hockey is more fun than it looks? It sure looks cool.

#511 8 years ago
Quoted from daddyboo:

Here are my two contact bowlers:
1) 1960 MBA (set up at 28' but have the extensions to make it 40' if I ever have the space)
2) 1969 Bally Super Bowler (21')
Both great games!
Here is a link to a video of my MBA:
» YouTube video

IMG_2656_(resized).JPGIMG_2657_(resized).JPGIMG_2658_(resized).JPG

Here's a link to a recent video I did of the '69 Super Bally Bowler...

#512 8 years ago

Here's my version of the 1965 Bally ball bowler video (I have since added a 5 foot lane extension by the way.) Note i think this series of Bally ball bowler are the best. I like them better than Bowl-a-rama/MBA bowlers.

#513 8 years ago

Great job on the video Daddyboo, Clay I would love to play that bowler one day!!!!

#514 8 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Here's a '41 Chicago Coin All Star Hockey I found in a damp basement long ago that's more fun than it looks
ASH1_sm_(resized).jpg
ASH2_sm_(resized).jpg
and a goofy place to keep some retired pinballs. I don't dare put more in there...
Gumball_(resized).jpg
/Mark

If you ever want to sell the hockey game please let me know! I have 1946 CC Goalee game it would look great next too!!!

3 weeks later
#515 8 years ago

A neighbour who works at the local recycling centre recently suggested I call round as he had a coin acceptor from a slot machine in which I might be interested. In fact it was more than a coin acceptor it was the front panel from a discarded slot machine.
It got my mind ticking on its application to house a tv in my gameroom. Anyhow after buying a tv on Gumtree (equiv to Craigs List) I fabricated a tv locating frame, retaining brackets, rewired the backglass lighting & installed a rear cover.

It is now ready to hang adjacent to my diner booth & I think does not look too bad :

GRtv1_(resized).jpgGRtv1_(resized).jpg

GRtv6_(resized).jpgGRtv6_(resized).jpg

GRtv2_(resized).jpgGRtv2_(resized).jpg

GRtv5_(resized).jpgGRtv5_(resized).jpg

GRtv3_(resized).jpgGRtv3_(resized).jpg

GRtv4_(resized).jpgGRtv4_(resized).jpg

#516 8 years ago

Neat! Yay for the flat screen tv.

#517 8 years ago

Re-purposing a slot, great idea. Now if you can rig the remote to the buttons...

#518 8 years ago

What a great idea. I never think of stuff like that.

Wouldn't be hard to get the buttons to light up and blink, either.

Fun!

#519 8 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Re-purposing a slot, great idea. Now if you can rig the remote to the buttons...

Quoted from browne92:

What a great idea. I never think of stuff like that.
Wouldn't be hard to get the buttons to light up and blink, either.
Fun!

Yep great suggestions. The buttons do have all the light sockets & bulbs but beyond my limited elec capability to complement remote or for blinking. Any tech suggestions welcomed.

#520 8 years ago

That's not a slot machine; That's a Pokie.

#521 8 years ago

Purchase a spare remote for starters.

Then you can pry the case open, and locate the keypad wiring. All you need to do is attach wires to the CHANNEL UP, CHANNEL DOWN, POWER, VOLUME UP, VOLUME DOWN. Five pairs of very thin wires, then attach them to five of the button switches - they're generally micro switches with NO and NC contacts. Use the COMMON, and NO contacts on each switch.

Would be very trick. You can go inside the switch face and add the nomenclature of the remote to that switch.

#522 8 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Purchase a spare remote for starters.
Then you can pry the case open, and locate the keypad wiring. All you need to do is attach wires to the CHANNEL UP, CHANNEL DOWN, POWER, VOLUME UP, VOLUME DOWN. Five pairs of very thin wires, then attach them to five of the button switches - they're generally micro switches with NO and NC contacts. Use the COMMON, and NO contacts on each switch.
Would be very trick. You can go inside the switch face and add the nomenclature of the remote to that switch.

Thks ramegoom-that seems reasonably straight forward even for me but would you clarify pls how the infra red signal which is the normal activator from the remote gets through in your configuration?. Thks Wayne

#523 8 years ago

You would need to mount the remote in an inconspicuous spot near the base of the TV. Or, maybe in the button panel with the IR portion pointing toward the TV, it doesn't have to be exact since the IR in close proximity will link to the TV.

Try positioning it in the bill acceptor (gut the internals so the remote will slip into it). Then, run all the wiring under the button panel.

You could also place it under the panel, and use a small mirror in the bill acceptor to turn the beam upwards toward the front of the set. A little practice placing your current remote will get you where you need to be.

#524 8 years ago

Looking again at your setup, you could take the IR transmitter out of your remote, add two wires, and position it right behind the coin slot. That should be a good spot to get to the set's pickup and it'd be hidden behind it.

#525 8 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Looking again at your setup, you could take the IR transmitter out of your remote, add two wires, and position it right behind the coin slot. That should be a good spot to get to the set's pickup and it'd be hidden behind it.

Thks again ramegoom-great advice.

#526 8 years ago

Just picked up a silver king national duck hunt last weekend. Pretty cool gumball/ shooter.
The restore is coming along really quickly.

-Jeff

WP_20160207_17_01_11_Pro_LI_(resized).jpgWP_20160207_17_01_11_Pro_LI_(resized).jpg

WP_20160207_17_01_37_Pro_LI_(resized).jpgWP_20160207_17_01_37_Pro_LI_(resized).jpg

WP_20160207_17_01_56_Pro_LI_(resized).jpgWP_20160207_17_01_56_Pro_LI_(resized).jpg

WP_20160207_17_01_16_Pro_LI_(resized).jpgWP_20160207_17_01_16_Pro_LI_(resized).jpg

WP_20160207_17_01_48_Pro_LI_(resized).jpgWP_20160207_17_01_48_Pro_LI_(resized).jpg

#527 8 years ago

My 2 latest finds. Midway Chopper and Sega Stunt Car. Both are very hard to find. I used to have a chopper. Awesome looking helicopter game. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#528 8 years ago

Here's my 1966 Chicago Coin Imperial Shuffle.

#529 8 years ago
Quoted from kovalski3:

My 2 latest finds. Midway Chopper and Sega Stunt Car. Both are very hard to find. I used to have a chopper. Awesome looking helicopter game. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Wow they are just two great finds-congrats. I really like Stunt Car & like it even better after watching this video-great concept to have the muscle car operating as a flipper or bat!!

#530 8 years ago

The kids playing my newly restored United Cypress at a Friday night church event

photo_(resized).JPGphoto_(resized).JPG

#531 8 years ago

Here's a walk-thru in my game room. Lots of slots and a few bowlers, 1958 Gandy pool table, "prize" cage for the little ones, along with antique slots, arcades, and EM slots. Oh, and pinball machines, too:

#532 8 years ago

Not quite sure how this happened, but managed to "collect" 3 chicago coin red pin detroit edition shuffle bowlers.

20160207_131356_(resized).jpg20160207_131356_(resized).jpg

#533 8 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Here's a walk-thru in my game room. Lots of slots and a few bowlers, 1958 Gandy pool table, "prize" cage for the little ones, along with antique slots, arcades, and EM slots. Oh, and pinball machines, too:
» YouTube video

Wonderful! No doubt Super Bowl was that much more enjoyable for everyone with the Bronco's win.

Joel

#534 8 years ago

have just bought this rotary merchandiser..does anybody know anything about these?

attachment-1_(resized).jpgattachment-1_(resized).jpg

#535 8 years ago

Neat and big merchandiser. I like the lights in the corners.

#536 8 years ago

1964 Majestic Ball Bowler! An instant hit with kids and adults, more so than the pinball machine. It took almost a year to convince my wife..... She now belongs in the Spouse Hall of Fame.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#537 8 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

have just bought this rotary merchandiser..does anybody know anything about these?

attachment-1_(resized).jpgattachment-2_(resized).jpgattachment-3_(resized).jpgattachment-4_(resized).jpg

Don't know anything about it, but I have played one. it is super hard to get the arm to knock a prize into the shoot.
Did the notes come with it?

#538 8 years ago

Budman, I see you bought that from Chris at St Louis Ball Bowlers? Great guy, very nice bowler

1 month later
#539 8 years ago

Since installing castors on my United Tropics ball bowler I have encountered difficulties with the front leg castors 'breaking out' the screws holding the female receivers-shown at bottom of pic below.

ABBleg5_(resized).jpgABBleg5_(resized).jpg

The original leg stands - at top of pic, carry the loading to the centre of the receiver. However the loading of a swivel castor is 'off centre' and given the significant weight carried this in my view is 'overloading' the receiver. I have tried longer, stronger screws but to no avail.

So I decided to fabricate reinforced brackets including the receivers for each leg & also include a cross brace for each leg to eliminate/reduce side flexing of the legs & supporting timber structure.

ABBleg1_(resized).jpgABBleg1_(resized).jpg

ABBleg2_(resized).jpgABBleg2_(resized).jpg

ABBleg3_(resized).jpgABBleg3_(resized).jpg

ABBleg4_(resized).jpgABBleg4_(resized).jpg

It seems to have resolved the problem. Whilst I am generally reluctant to steer away from original specs I saw no alternative but this course. I would be really interested to hear whether anyone else has encountered this issue & how it was overcome. Thks Wayne

#540 8 years ago

Probably doesn't fit here but I thought I'd show it. A 1965 Hamm's Scene-a-Rama motion sign. It rotates through a camping scene, waterfall etc. Pretty neat. Has an Easter egg, too! *Hard pic to take without glare I guess, for me anyways.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#541 8 years ago

Classic sign. Has an Easter Egg? Is the one with the hidden swear word in it. I had one without but have seen one with it as well.

#542 8 years ago

Yes it has the R rating. I've had a couple of these, and have seen maybe 4-5 others, but haven't seen them without it. Possibly the screen was faded/worn to make it hard to see. ??? Or maybe they caught the error at one point. Hmmm...

#543 8 years ago

I believe there are 3 or 4 different versions of the film. Essentially the same with some small variation. I was told that a disgruntled worker placed the swear word in one of the later versions. That may be urban legend. Mine didn't have it and a friend of mine's doesn't either. Neither are/were faded. I was told the swear word version was less common and therefore more valuable? Not sure how valid any of that information is.

I was really into vintage motion signs for awhile. Almost as much as pinball. I still have a few. They are a lot of fun to collect and the Hamm's Scene-o-rama has to be one of the coolest.

#544 8 years ago

Wow never knew that. Well maybe I got lucky that my second one had it too. My first one did, but a cat knocked it off a 10' ledge and it went 'kaboom' on a tile floor. I had heard the disgruntled worker story. Makes sense. The bad word is there, and also the 'U' below it.

#545 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

I would be really interested to hear whether anyone else has encountered this issue & how it was overcome. Thks Wayne

Great idea Wayne!

I think super heavy items like Ball Bowlers, Shuffle, and gun games should be put on wheels and for a 50+ year old guy like myself that has neck and back problems it is the only way to go IMO. I have my Williams Phantom Gun on 2" wheels but would suggest 3"- 4" wheels as they are to small to roll around any long distance like at a show, but work fine for moving around a small room like mine.

Ken

#546 8 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

A 1965 Hamm's Scene-a-Rama motion sign. It rotates through a camping scene, waterfall etc. Pretty neat.

Very cool Hamm's sign indeed and my favorite as it has lots of memories for me as my uncle had one in his home bar, As a kid I used to watch the scene passing by for quite a while at a time. He passed away and from what I know my aunt sold it for $300.00 back in the 90's.

So what does one of these moving scene ones go for these days?

Ken

#547 8 years ago

Did you save the parts from the destroyed one? Like an old pinball you can piece together a working example from parts. There is a static sign that is generally much cheaper (see pic) that has the same shingled roof case design. You can use one for a donor if you have the internal motion parts.

9908836_1_l_(resized).jpg9908836_1_l_(resized).jpg

#548 8 years ago

Interesting. I probably threw out too much! I did save the screen and rollers...maybe a few more things. I'll have to check again.

#549 8 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

The bad word is there, and also the 'U' below it.

Where is the bad word?

I remember this sign as a kid also. Staring at it at a local pizza place, watching it to see it cycle back to the canoe and campfire.

Here's a video of it in all its glory:

#550 8 years ago

At about the 3:20 mark to the right of the second birch tree you can kind of see the "F" word camouflaged in the water. It may be a bit of a stretch. It seemed much more obvious in the one I saw in person. Being intrigued by the story the owner told may have helped make it more believable. Or maybe the lighting in this video isn't helping make it discernible.

There are 2,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 51.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-em-bowlers-mechanical-and-old-electrical-toys-in-your-gameroom/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.