(Topic ID: 40372)

Show us your coin door restorations

By swampfire

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6175 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6174 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6173 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6172 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6171 (resized).jpg
    Before and After - Insert (resized).jpg
    Before and After - Front (resized).jpg
    Before and After - Back (resized).jpg
    20230819_212931.jpg
    20230819_213201.jpg
    4mbc cd (resized).jpg
    coin door before (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jibmums.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 7 years ago

Judging from the image of it on their website, the Pinball Rescue early-SS "Bally" sticker is the only correct one out there. There's another I've seen with the Bally logo quite sloppy looking, and a third with an incorrect number of red triangles; there should be twelve of them pointing to the twelve clock numbers, but for whatever reason all the repop stickers I've seen at shows have two bottom triangles pointing to 5:30 and 6:30 instead of one directly at 6:00.

Yeah, call me a nitpicker but this has bugged me enough to not buy new stickers. I'd love to redo the artwork correctly in Illustrator for anyone with a license to print these, if you throw me a few stickers for the trouble.

#62 7 years ago

Here's a couple of shots of the Space Invaders coindoor I finished up this week. All elbow grease, no buffing wheel or tumbler. Thanks to ForceFlow for suggesting Mother's liquid metal polish, that stuff makes the nickel plating almost look like chrome. A prior op painted over the insert plastics with some weird 25¢ stencils, I need to replace those.

100_7216_(resized).JPG100_7216_(resized).JPG
    100_7214_(resized).JPG100_7214_(resized).JPG

#64 7 years ago

Thanks! I would like to have kept the gray plating (I think it's phosphating?) on the inner plate that everything bolts to, but most of that got removed or degraded when I soaked it in Evaporust to remove rust around the lock, so I stripped the rest. What didn't come off in the Evaporust was a real PIA to remove though.

4 months later
    #69 7 years ago

Here's my first Sys11 coindoor restore for Earthshaker. Just a repaint and new orange plastics, the backside already looked like new and just needed a cleaning. I used Rustoleum flat black for the base and then gloss black for the spatter. Next time I'll use semigloss for the spatter as it's a bit too glossy, also I got a lot more smaller spatter flecks on it than an original paint job, but heck, live and learn. Flat black only for the coin return flap. From what I've seen, the Williams (W) logo should be bare metal but I don't want to take a chance on screwing it up; one day when I have nothing better to do I'll give it a careful swipe with some lacquer thinner.

I recreated and laser-printed the "25¢ push to reject" inserts onto glossy photo paper and they look just like the originals. If anyone wants the file, PM me your email and I'll send you a PDF file.

100_7383 (resized).JPG100_7383 (resized).JPG
    100_7384 (resized).JPG100_7384 (resized).JPG

2 years later
    #117 4 years ago

My second coindoor resto using the Bryan Kelly paint spatter method. He suggests using semi-flat for the base and gloss black for the spatter, which I found had a way-too-glossy result the first time around. I used flat black and and semi-gloss for the spatter this time and it looks very close to the original finish. Flat black only for the coin return flap, which had no spatter on it. Had to fix some hacked wiring on the back as well, but it all turned out great.
    101_0357 (resized).JPG101_0357 (resized).JPG101_0345 (resized).JPG101_0345 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jibmums.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-coin-door-restorations?tu=jibmums and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.