(Topic ID: 40372)

Show us your coin door restorations

By swampfire

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6175 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6174 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6173 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6172 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6171 (resized).jpg
    Before and After - Insert (resized).jpg
    Before and After - Front (resized).jpg
    Before and After - Back (resized).jpg
    20230819_212931.jpg
    20230819_213201.jpg
    4mbc cd (resized).jpg
    coin door before (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

What sort of a business does one look for when searching for a buffing shop...and how much does a service like that run?

Look for a plating shop that also does polishing. I recently sent some parts for zinc plating and other parts for polishing to one shop and they came out great.

1 week later
    #52 7 years ago

Where can one get those company logo stickers that sits on some coindoors? (Bally, Williams, Gottlieb etc etc)

#54 7 years ago

thanks, but it seems that the Gottlieb 80's Star series stickers is not to be found, have a friends that wants one for his Volcano.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luzur:

thanks, but it seems that the Gottlieb 80's Star series stickers is not to be found, have a friends that wants one for his Volcano.

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/forsale/coindoorparts.html

#56 7 years ago

Ah! Muchos Gracias, amigo! i'll send the link to him asap!

#57 7 years ago

Varsågod

#58 7 years ago

Pinball Resource has the logos on their site, but they won't sell them:
    "Please Note: Pinball Rescue has ceased production and sales of all Bally-Williams trade marked products."

I tried to order the cherry red on foil sticker, but it was a no-go.

#59 7 years ago

Judging from the image of it on their website, the Pinball Rescue early-SS "Bally" sticker is the only correct one out there. There's another I've seen with the Bally logo quite sloppy looking, and a third with an incorrect number of red triangles; there should be twelve of them pointing to the twelve clock numbers, but for whatever reason all the repop stickers I've seen at shows have two bottom triangles pointing to 5:30 and 6:30 instead of one directly at 6:00.

Yeah, call me a nitpicker but this has bugged me enough to not buy new stickers. I'd love to redo the artwork correctly in Illustrator for anyone with a license to print these, if you throw me a few stickers for the trouble.

#60 7 years ago

Shipping from big daddy seems a little high...

Screenshot_2016-07-30-17-15-23-1_(resized).pngScreenshot_2016-07-30-17-15-23-1_(resized).png

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Shipping from big daddy seems a little high...

There is a minimum order. Check the FAQ link.

#62 7 years ago

Here's a couple of shots of the Space Invaders coindoor I finished up this week. All elbow grease, no buffing wheel or tumbler. Thanks to ForceFlow for suggesting Mother's liquid metal polish, that stuff makes the nickel plating almost look like chrome. A prior op painted over the insert plastics with some weird 25¢ stencils, I need to replace those.

100_7216_(resized).JPG100_7216_(resized).JPG
    100_7214_(resized).JPG100_7214_(resized).JPG

#63 7 years ago

Wow that door came up slick

#64 7 years ago

Thanks! I would like to have kept the gray plating (I think it's phosphating?) on the inner plate that everything bolts to, but most of that got removed or degraded when I soaked it in Evaporust to remove rust around the lock, so I stripped the rest. What didn't come off in the Evaporust was a real PIA to remove though.

#65 7 years ago

I usually handpolish my doors with soft steel wool and then shammy-leather to get a nice enough shine.

4 weeks later
    #66 7 years ago
    Quoted from monsonb:

Pinball Resource has the logos on their site, but they won't sell them:
    "Please Note: Pinball Rescue has ceased production and sales of all Bally-Williams trade marked products."
    I tried to order the cherry red on foil sticker, but it was a no-go.

I need one of these too. Does anyone else have it? door_williams_rect (resized).jpgdoor_williams_rect (resized).jpg

#68 7 years ago

Thanks man! $12 for shipping... ouch... but when in a hurry we do what we must.

3 months later
    #69 7 years ago

Here's my first Sys11 coindoor restore for Earthshaker. Just a repaint and new orange plastics, the backside already looked like new and just needed a cleaning. I used Rustoleum flat black for the base and then gloss black for the spatter. Next time I'll use semigloss for the spatter as it's a bit too glossy, also I got a lot more smaller spatter flecks on it than an original paint job, but heck, live and learn. Flat black only for the coin return flap. From what I've seen, the Williams (W) logo should be bare metal but I don't want to take a chance on screwing it up; one day when I have nothing better to do I'll give it a careful swipe with some lacquer thinner.

I recreated and laser-printed the "25¢ push to reject" inserts onto glossy photo paper and they look just like the originals. If anyone wants the file, PM me your email and I'll send you a PDF file.

100_7383 (resized).JPG100_7383 (resized).JPG
    100_7384 (resized).JPG100_7384 (resized).JPG

#71 7 years ago

How did you do the spatter effect, the freezer trick?

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

this can work :

ebay.com link: itm

or you can practice with a spray can. Both options probably take some practice . . .

What's the freezer trick ?

#73 7 years ago

Not exactly factory original, but I prefer the bling factor.

100_0466 - Copy (resized).jpg100_0466 - Copy (resized).jpg

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

You can slightly depress the nozzle at an angle or you can spray on to a paint brush and flick it at the door. Both work. Just watch out for drips and air bubbles if you get low on paint while doing the angled nozzle depression method. Practice on another piece of wood or cardboard to get the hang of it.

#75 7 years ago

Before:
    IMG_3134 (resized).JPGIMG_3134 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3551 (resized).JPGIMG_3551 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3552 (resized).JPGIMG_3552 (resized).JPG

After:
    IMG_3555 (resized).JPGIMG_3555 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3565 (resized).JPGIMG_3565 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3567 (resized).JPGIMG_3567 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3574 (resized).JPGIMG_3574 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3573 (resized).JPGIMG_3573 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4268 (resized).JPGIMG_4268 (resized).JPG

6 months later
    #76 6 years ago

What is the original finish on a system 6 Williams coin door? Polished or fine grain. Should I coat the door in a clear out after? Mild surface rust appeared during my refinishing process.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

What is the original finish on a system 6 Williams coin door? Polished or fine grain. Should I coat the door in a clear out after? Mild surface rust appeared during my refinishing process.

If you try to paint or seal over rust, it's only going to get worse. You have to get rid of the rust completely before repainting.

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you try to paint or seal over rust, it's only going to get worse. You have to get rid of the rust completely before repainting.

Yes I am aware. I was asking after the final finish (brush mirror etc) should I clear over that.

#79 6 years ago

You could also apply a thin layer of wax "a la" ball guide trick

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

What is the original finish on a system 6 Williams coin door? Polished or fine grain.

The Williams silver coin door originally had a fine grain. It matched the fine grain of the cabinet side rails.

I have seen pictures of the coin door done up in highly polished (mirror like) finish by people who prefered the shiny, polished look. It's up to you, but personally, I like the highly polished mirror look.

#81 6 years ago

Yeah I like the fine grain look myself. I will see what Scott brite brings it too or maybe finish it with steel wool. Maybe a paste wax will protect it.

6 months later
    #82 6 years ago

So I’m up against a Gottlieb System 3 coin door.16C0AD20-0B0C-44E4-A5AA-D13CF67C098E (resized).jpeg16C0AD20-0B0C-44E4-A5AA-D13CF67C098E (resized).jpeg

This thing has a really think finish, and my wire wheel barely made a dent in it. The finish I would best describe as beveled. Were these powdered? I’m having a hard time figuring out how I’m going to duplicate this finish.

2 weeks later
    #83 6 years ago

OK, I have two coin door restores. Here is the first one for my 1962 Rack-A-Ball. First pic is the total before. Then with just the metal polished. Then the final final with the new paint job a few fun stickers. The only thing I did to the metal was a little bit of Mothers and a whole heck of a lot of elbow grease. Whew !!!

RackABall_Before180115 (resized).jpgRackABall_Before180115 (resized).jpg

RackABall_After180116 (resized).jpgRackABall_After180116 (resized).jpg

Rack-A-Ball Final Front (resized).jpgRack-A-Ball Final Front (resized).jpg

#84 6 years ago

And here's my second restore of a coin door. I went a different route with this one. Kept it a little more simple. Used a really nice flat Rust-oleum paint with some new screws and bolts. Just some sanding and general touch up. I think it came out nice on my 1978 High Flyer Bingo in a combo Wall Street and High Flyer cabinet.

HighFlyer-WallStreet-Orig-Coin-Door (resized).jpgHighFlyer-WallStreet-Orig-Coin-Door (resized).jpg

IMG_20170629_071647 (resized).jpgIMG_20170629_071647 (resized).jpg

High Flyer Bingo20180110_Rust-oleum (resized).jpgHigh Flyer Bingo20180110_Rust-oleum (resized).jpg

High Flyer front final (resized).jpgHigh Flyer front final (resized).jpg

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

Yeah I like the fine grain look myself. I will see what Scott brite brings it too or maybe finish it with steel wool. Maybe a paste wax will protect it.

Don't use steel wool on stainless, it will cause it to rust. Use the scotchbrite pads only.. they come in at least three coarseness grades.

#86 6 years ago

Coin door restore with spray gun.
    Found a great way to get the speckled look. I tried the "flick brush method ", had big blobs and little blobs, inconsistent . Tried aerosol can, very tricky, and one full spray and your starting over. Today I tried something new . Took mini gravity gun, took off air cap, and sprayed . It won't atomize that way so it just splatters paint out. Air pressure adjusts splatter , so you will find a good spot to spray . Mini jet us usually a 1.1 fluid tip , so small splatter .
    I did use satin for first layer , and semi-gloss for speckled . Just sprayed aerosol into small container , poured paint into gun cup and sprayed. Not sure that's the right gloss I wanted , but I'm just sharing technique.
    Here is a video . Not sure if vid1900 has a thread on this , but could add it , as it's easy with the right equioment.
    Here is a video of me spraying :

Hope it helps . Feel free to ask for more specifics , or pm me.

IMG_0732 (resized).JPGIMG_0732 (resized).JPG

#87 6 years ago

20180108_200812 (resized).jpg20180108_200812 (resized).jpg

20180108_204533 (resized).jpg20180108_204533 (resized).jpg

20180108_204543 (resized).jpg20180108_204543 (resized).jpg

20180108_204548 (resized).jpg20180108_204548 (resized).jpg

20180115_153910 (resized).jpg20180115_153910 (resized).jpg

20180115_153917 (resized).jpg20180115_153917 (resized).jpg

20180115_171245 (resized).jpg20180115_171245 (resized).jpg

20180115_171314 (resized).jpg20180115_171314 (resized).jpg

#88 6 years ago

Has anyone had luck removing dents from the doors? My system 11 door looks like its been hit with a hammer. Condition is pretty poor. Options are to buy a new WPC door or repair. I'd prefer to keep the original door, but straightening it out will be tough.

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Here's a Williams "8-Ball" coin door I restored a few years ago. I literally found this door rusting in the field of a junk yard. I had it bead blasted before I painted it with Rust-Oleum # 7213 Silver Hammered paint.

Nice work Ken.

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Here's my first Sys11 coindoor restore for Earthshaker. Just a repaint and new orange plastics, the backside already looked like new and just needed a cleaning. I used Rustoleum flat black for the base and then gloss black for the spatter. Next time I'll use semigloss for the spatter as it's a bit too glossy, also I got a lot more smaller spatter flecks on it than an original paint job, but heck, live and learn. Flat black only for the coin return flap. From what I've seen, the Williams (W) logo should be bare metal but I don't want to take a chance on screwing it up; one day when I have nothing better to do I'll give it a careful swipe with some lacquer thinner.
    I recreated and laser-printed the "25¢ push to reject" inserts onto glossy photo paper and they look just like the originals. If anyone wants the file, PM me your email and I'll send you a PDF file.

Looks good to me!

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Has anyone had luck removing dents from the doors? My system 11 door looks like its been hit with a hammer. Condition is pretty poor. Options are to buy a new WPC door or repair. I'd prefer to keep the original door, but straightening it out will be tough.

Try using auto body hammers and tools.

#92 6 years ago

I'm a little bummed my coin doors are OK.

Just took possession of a an old Bally's, really liking that BLING mirror finish. Hmmmm.

Great work on here folks!

#93 6 years ago

Working on this one.
    Going in this frame.

E64E3B97-FBA1-42A9-9B06-4A84098AAA53 (resized).jpegE64E3B97-FBA1-42A9-9B06-4A84098AAA53 (resized).jpeg

D1BA9086-8F34-4F26-A7D5-E421BE80E954 (resized).jpegD1BA9086-8F34-4F26-A7D5-E421BE80E954 (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#94 6 years ago

Ooohhh, very nice!

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Working on this one.
    Going in this frame.

I generally prefer bone stock pins, but this is just sexy

#96 6 years ago

When i color-modded my JL, i got almost yelled at by pinball purists

#97 6 years ago

Mine!

DA0019FD-6509-4F59-A2AD-2BE1666AC736 (resized).jpegDA0019FD-6509-4F59-A2AD-2BE1666AC736 (resized).jpeg

5085F8A3-50BB-4F12-9DDE-0CCB45E916CC (resized).jpeg5085F8A3-50BB-4F12-9DDE-0CCB45E916CC (resized).jpeg

#98 6 years ago

Door built with new harness and installed.
    Have to thank Jeff /Pinball Pimp for making me the stencil for the diamond.

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Door built with new harness and installed.
    Have to thank Jeff /Pinball Pimp for making me the stencil for the diamond.

Awesome job as usual! Quick question, looking at the center "button" on the coin door that says "Free Play Bally Press Start" it looks like it has the ability to be lit from behind but I don't see a bulb there in your picture. Is this something you will be doing or has the customer requested it not be installed? Just curious.

1 month later
    #100 6 years ago

I just got a coin reject flap for my Bally door. Am I missing something or is this all that’s needed to keep this thing in? It keeps falling out after I get the front screwed back on. Does something need bent or adjusted?

F4C2A0C5-54D4-42A1-B4B2-F041775D2537 (resized).jpegF4C2A0C5-54D4-42A1-B4B2-F041775D2537 (resized).jpeg

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-coin-door-restorations/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.