(Topic ID: 40372)

Show us your coin door restorations

By swampfire

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6175 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6174 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6173 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6172 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6171 (resized).jpg
    Before and After - Insert (resized).jpg
    Before and After - Front (resized).jpg
    Before and After - Back (resized).jpg
    20230819_212931.jpg
    20230819_213201.jpg
    4mbc cd (resized).jpg
    coin door before (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 11 years ago

The pictures on the "oldest game to restore" thread reminded me of the day I lost restoring a Centaur coin door:

http://reelsonfire.blogspot.com/2010/10/humble-coin-door.html

Has anyone else spent a ridiculous amount of time on a coin door? Let's make this a coin door mod thread while we're at it - I want to see what you creative folks have come up with.

#2 11 years ago

Here are a few I have done with before and after pics. I really like doing them and I have the process pretty refined. There was definitely a learning curve. I am my harshest critic and I think they come out beautiful now.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!before.jpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!before.jpg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!before1.jpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!before1.jpg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!beforet.jpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!beforet.jpg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!beforet1.jpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!beforet1.jpg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!beforet3.jpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!beforet3.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Awesome. Do you use hammer-tone paint or any kind of clear? I have several DMD coin doors to restore, and I want to do it right.

#4 11 years ago

Don't use hammer-tone. Flat black for the door and glossy black for the speckles. I use clear as well. I follow treasure-cove's process for the restorations, but I also replace all the orange coin slot plastics, they are cheap to replace and look fantastic. I strip the backside of the coin door to clean everything and repaint if necessary and I also have started spraying the glossy paint onto a paint brush and flicking it onto the door instead of slightly depressing the nozzle. I had started seeing some air bubbles in the glossy specks by slightly depressing the nozzle so I went to the flicking method and it looks amazing. If the door is really damaged or worn like in a couple of these pics, I will also sand it down before painting. I'm really happy with the results.

http://www.treasure-cove.net/coindoor.htm

#5 11 years ago

We're do you get the replacement plastic coin release buttons ?

#6 11 years ago

Brian Kelley made a YouTube video on this topic:

-Steve

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Travismc:

We're do you get the replacement plastic coin release buttons ?

Mad-amusements.com

mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=1077

and

mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=1076

#8 11 years ago

Here's mine.....the original picture was the coin door on a trashed BSD cabinet. It had holes where some plate was bolted over one of the coin slots. Why?????? Used JB Weld SteelStik to fill the holes. Sanded the hell out of it. I did use Rust-oleum Hammered paint, and clear coated it. I'm very happy with the results for a first-timer on coin door restoration.

door_restore1.JPGdoor_restore1.JPG door_restore2.JPGdoor_restore2.JPG

#9 11 years ago

First time coin door resto. this past week I used a semi-gloss paint and it came out glossier than I would have liked. I then used a gloss paint to do the 'spatter'. In another post recently I had asked about using the brush/flick method as I have done on a few EM cabinet restorations and then decided to try the 'spatter' spray can method(as in Bryan Kellys vid and allens from Treasure Cove...thank you both for contributions)just to see what it was all about and if I could do it. As LesManley mentions the air-bubbles in the gloss do occur at times. I found that if I started the spray can off the door and got a good flow of 'spatter' going I would then move onto the coin door and continue it till it stopped....that seemed to work great instead of trying to get the 'spatter' right onto the coin door 1st press of nozzle. Didn't clear door but thought about it.

I did take everything off the back and clean...great learning process. Only had to go back upstairs about 25 times to look at my before pics of how everything went! : ) Guess that's where an I-Pad would come in handy.

Sooooo...if I was to restore another door I would get a flat black paint and probably hand 'splatter' the paint on the door. I also would have sanded the marks down on the door where there was an imprint form a lock-bar that must have been across the door at some point in it's life. Same marks as in LesManleys 3rd pic. I posted a before and after pic and am open to critique.

000_2007.JPG000_2007.JPG 000_2031.JPG000_2031.JPG

#10 11 years ago

These are all awesome. Now we know the real reason pin prices are rising - people are taking care of their games and making them better. Gotta like that!

#11 11 years ago

Good thread! Ive been wanting to do this also. Great info here.

#12 11 years ago

Here's a Williams "8-Ball" coin door I restored a few years ago. I literally found this door rusting in the field of a junk yard. I had it bead blasted before I painted it with Rust-Oleum # 7213 Silver Hammered paint.

Door_restored_rear.JPGDoor_restored_rear.JPG Door_restored_front.JPGDoor_restored_front.JPG Door_restored.JPGDoor_restored.JPG Door_coin_switches.JPGDoor_coin_switches.JPG Door_coin_entry.JPGDoor_coin_entry.JPG

#13 11 years ago

This is how I restore all my classic Stern doors. I sandblast everything. Paint the coin door with RustOleum Hammered 7212 first and then immediately follow it will a full coat of 7213.
    As they dry and blend together you end up with a perfect match for the original color which is silver with some blue.

1old_stern_door.JPG1old_stern_door.JPG 2sandblasted.jpg2sandblasted.jpg 3.jpg3.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg 5finish.jpg5finish.jpg

#14 11 years ago

Here's my last two. Bright buffed on the outside, fully disassembled, cleaned, and gone through on the inside.

31.JPG31.JPG 32.JPG32.JPG 37.JPG37.JPG 38.JPG38.JPG

#15 11 years ago

Here's the one I did a couple of weeks ago for the SM.

DSCN2760_(640x480).jpgDSCN2760_(640x480).jpg DSCN2761_(640x480).jpgDSCN2761_(640x480).jpg DSCN2762_(640x480).jpgDSCN2762_(640x480).jpg DSCN2759_(640x480).jpgDSCN2759_(640x480).jpg

#16 11 years ago

Bub I like how you blocked out the coin slots. Are those special cut etched and colored inserts?

#17 11 years ago

The SM inserts came with the plastic set from CPR and the Bally I got from Marco., They have them for Bally, Stern and Williams.

#18 11 years ago

Can't compete with Bub but here's my shot at it!

Photo_199.jpgPhoto_199.jpg Photo_212.jpgPhoto_212.jpg Photo_220.jpgPhoto_220.jpg Photo_228.jpgPhoto_228.jpg Photo_243.jpgPhoto_243.jpg

#19 11 years ago

Wow, how did you get the coin reject bin so shiny?

#20 11 years ago

I'll give you the before shots on my Congo coin door. Waiting on the powdercoater to be able to get it back and reassemble it.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/phetishboy/Rampagee/DSC02652_zpse058fbd0.jpg

#21 11 years ago

Yo taxi

image.jpgimage.jpg

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Andre:

Can't compete with Bub but here's my shot at it!

How many f%$@# hours do you have polishing those parts, looks awesome!
    Don't answer that I want to find out, I have a couple of the drops, I am going to try.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Phetishboy:

I'll give you the before shots on my Congo coin door. Waiting on the powdercoater to be able to get it back and reassemble it.
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/phetishboy/Rampagee/DSC02652_zpse058fbd0.jpg

Cool, about how much does it cost? Less than a hundy?

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Wow, how did you get the coin reject bin so shiny?

About 20 hrs of polishing on all the door parts.Black rough grit paste to start and white paste for finition.
    Coin return chute was real easy to bring to a shine!

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Cool, about how much does it cost? Less than a hundy?

Yep. Far less.

#26 11 years ago

Submitted for your approval

The coin door from my prototype CFTBL

Holes drilled through the coin entrance bezel, wires clipped out of the harness.

The process of restoration included filling the holes with JB Weld and block sanding the door flat, rebuilding the harness using a harness from a parts door, combined with the CFTBL door harness, cleaning and refinishing everything.

cd1.jpgcd1.jpg cd2.jpgcd2.jpg cd3.jpgcd3.jpg cd4.jpgcd4.jpg cd5.jpgcd5.jpg cd6.jpgcd6.jpg

#27 11 years ago

The rest

cd7.jpgcd7.jpg cd8.jpgcd8.jpg cd9.jpgcd9.jpg cd10.jpgcd10.jpg

#28 11 years ago

How about these! image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

How about these!

I like the one in the middle

Here's a pic with it installed:

http://s437400854.onlinehome.us/wp-content/gallery/attack-from-mars/12.jpg

Here's my favorite (not really a restoration though):

http://s437400854.onlinehome.us/?page_id=115

#30 11 years ago

Not for a pinball, but an asteroids machine. This is my favorite looking coin door.

IMG_0714.JPGIMG_0714.JPG IMG_0727.JPGIMG_0727.JPG

#31 11 years ago

amazing work by one and all.

ok, now where's the kickstarter fund to get you guys to start a D.I.Y. pinball channel on cable?

#32 11 years ago

I have a couple questions for folks who have done this.
    1) Are you stripping the paint down to bare metal or just painting over the existing paint?
    2) Are you using any primer before the black/hammer paint?
    I have a few coin doors I need to restore.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chemixtry:

I have a couple questions for folks who have done this.
    1) Are you stripping the paint down to bare metal or just painting over the existing paint?
    2) Are you using any primer before the black/hammer paint?
    I have a few coin doors I need to restore.

I sand if there is significant damage to smooth the area, but I don't strip to bare metal. I like to leave the bumpy finish on the WPC coin doors and that would take it off. No primer.

#34 11 years ago

Got a question for the experts.

Is it possible to get dints/dents etc out of the chrome Gottleib doors? Re-chroming will just make them shiny and dinted!

Just want to know if its even possible as would have to go somewhere to get it done if it can be?

Thanks

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Got a question for the experts.
    Is it possible to get dints/dents etc out of the chrome Gottleib doors? Re-chroming will just make them shiny and dinted!
    Just want to know if its even possible as would have to go somewhere to get it done if it can be?
    Thanks

I would try a paintless dent removal place that usually get dents out of cars. Bet they could do it.

3 years later
    #36 7 years ago

Bumping this old thread since it was an interesting topic and I was working on a coin door recently.

Basically, the black paint was wearing off in places and the bolts had no paint. I disassembled the coin door, did some light sanding, a coat of metal primer on the bolts, and a couple of coats of rustoleum's satin black on everything, and what was once old and beat-up is made new again.

20160702163131300_(resized).jpg20160702163131300_(resized).jpg

20160702230454992_(resized).jpg20160702230454992_(resized).jpg

#37 7 years ago

Didn't have a clue this thread existed but loved reading through here. Thanks for bumping it, ForceFlow.

Faved!

#38 7 years ago

I've done some more of these in the last few years. They are fun to do, but very time consuming.

beforeandafter_(resized).JPGbeforeandafter_(resized).JPG

#39 7 years ago

Gottlieb System 1/80 coin doors have a ridiculous number of parts--probably more than most any other coin door. It was very time consuming to strip it down, clean, de-rust, and polish every part. The door also had a dent near the lock that had to be knocked back out. I had to figure out a way to remove the decal, so I wrote up an easy procedure on pinwiki. I also printed nice new coin inserts with a laser printer.

20140628192303489_(resized).jpg20140628192303489_(resized).jpg2014-05-21_00-14-42_336_(resized).jpg2014-05-21_00-14-42_336_(resized).jpg20150415222808758_(resized).jpg20150415222808758_(resized).jpg20150810213933886_(resized).jpg20150810213933886_(resized).jpg20150906205138652_(resized).jpg20150906205138652_(resized).jpg20150907045100570_(resized).jpg20150907045100570_(resized).jpg20150908235047255(1)_(resized).jpg20150908235047255(1)_(resized).jpg20151107161731820(1)_(resized).jpg20151107161731820(1)_(resized).jpg20151107161822809(1)_(resized).jpg20151107161822809(1)_(resized).jpg

#40 7 years ago

Started here

01_inside_coin_door_before_1_(resized).JPG01_inside_coin_door_before_1_(resized).JPG

03_inside_coin_door_before_3_(resized).JPG03_inside_coin_door_before_3_(resized).JPG

02_inside_coin_door_before_2_(resized).JPG02_inside_coin_door_before_2_(resized).JPG

And ended here

09_Inside_coin_door_after_(resized).JPG09_Inside_coin_door_after_(resized).JPG

#41 7 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#42 7 years ago

In those "before" pictures your coin door looked like a murder suspect. Nice job cleaning up that crime scene!

My god...did you buy that new? That is a thing of beauty.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

My god...did you buy that new? That is a thing of beauty.

No, the brushed look was polished out and then highly polished to a mirror finish to complement the chrome work on the top panel.
    Before and after pics....

#44 7 years ago

Coming soon for you Bally guys and other manufacturers sometime after...

IMG_7818_(resized).JPGIMG_7818_(resized).JPG

IMG_7819_(resized).JPGIMG_7819_(resized).JPG

IMG_7820_(resized).JPGIMG_7820_(resized).JPG

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

No, the brushed look was polished out and then highly polished to a mirror finish to complement the chrome work on the top panel.

That is fantastic!!!

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Here's my last two. Bright buffed on the outside, fully disassembled, cleaned, and gone through on the inside.

Mike,

Could you elaborate on how you do the bright buffing? These coin doors are fantastic.

Thanks
    Yves

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Coming soon for you Bally guys and other manufacturers sometime after...

Minty fresh! Reminds me of the work Dokert does over on KLOV for arcade harnesses.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

Did you polish it or was it sent to a buffing shop?

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

Did you polish it or was it sent to a buffing shop?

It went to a local buffing shop.

#50 7 years ago

What sort of a business does one look for when searching for a buffing shop...and how much does a service like that run?

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-coin-door-restorations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.