(Topic ID: 62212)

Show some love for the under appreciated things in pinball.

By Toasterdog

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Fathom.jpg
    Night_Rider_PHOF_8.4.2013.JPG
    DSCF6403.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

Anything you find under appreciated? A specific pin, old school sounds, single level playfields. Not sure how well received the center post is, but I know there is vitually no love for the Stern knocker. So here's mine

>>> I love the Stern knocker!! Sorry, but the W/B knockers scare the shit out of my dogs and are too loud when I like to play my pins in the wee hours. Love the ability to turn off on the menu or lower the volume.

>>> I also love the center post!! Dunno why, just like it. Enjoyed it on Bounty Hunter, Jackbot, and now Spiderman. Yea, might make it a bit easier, but it does require some skill to use it effectively.

It's Friday, so give me a break if you don't agree

#2 10 years ago

I have recently enjoyed the outlanes of old 80's pins. Just a gate with a bit of a nudge you can get the ball back into play. Example Centuar. My special force has them.

#3 10 years ago

Bad cats is good

#4 10 years ago

I really appreciate the art in pinball lately. In doing my recent shop outs, it amazes me the level of artwork. Sure the games of the 80's were incredible, but even the later games. I like the small subtle things that many people woulldn't even notice too.

Ever see this on Tales of the Arabian Nights?

DSCF6403.JPGDSCF6403.JPG

#5 10 years ago

I also enjoy the older sys11 pins. I like the simplicity compared to todays new games. Don't get me wrong, I like the new ones too, I just like going back

#6 10 years ago

How about the bell in some Sys11 games. Love the bell ringing in Taxi and Jungle Lord.
    The horn in Jungle Lord is weirdly cool also. It's just unexpected in the age of computer generated stereo sounds.

#7 10 years ago

Just got back from vacation, hit the PHOF 4 times when I was there....really enjoyed playing the EM's while I was there this time. The artwork on many of these pins is so beautiful. Enjoyed this gem too

Night_Rider_PHOF_8.4.2013.JPGNight_Rider_PHOF_8.4.2013.JPG

#8 10 years ago

Bally's Fathom. One of my favorite features is the ball lock saucers hidden behind the in-line drop targets. Especially love the horizontal bank that's ABOVE the rollovers at the top.

Fathom.jpgFathom.jpg

Pure design genius. Wonder why this element hasn't been used again....

Later,
    EV

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Bally's Fathom.

I haven’t had the pleasure of playing this magnificent machine yet…hope to some day. Gorgeous machine that also plays well….BONUS

#10 10 years ago

My thing is pop bumper caps (pops in general)....love the effect they have on the pinball throwing them everywhich way and how they add the element of speed to the game. The artwork on some of the caps (especially earlier games) is very cool. Like the pic of Echos FATHOM (never played one)...those blue caps are great! It's very miniscual in the grand theme of a pinball machine....but a simple, subtle touch.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-some-love-for-the-under-appreciated-things-in-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.