(Topic ID: 109687)

Show off your rare/prototype pinball stuff....

By Dayhuff

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0835 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0834 (resized).jpeg
20240406_090551 (resized).jpg
IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9194 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9192 (resized).jpeg
6F788DBC-4445-4E2F-9202-7E163DF5D015_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
9359C96A-9EBB-489C-912A-CCD537A4B4F9_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
IMG_8221 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8183 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8917 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8913 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8916 (resized).jpeg
B3919377-F306-40BA-A421-5E54B4703889_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
2C2344E6-0F2A-4156-B27A-4B7E3B08395C_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vec-tor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#969 6 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

1982 Fire Power prototype factory clear coated NOS playfield!

It is not a prototype it is a NOS second run. By law, they had to keep parts available
for a proximately Five years. Good Find.

#971 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

What law are you referring to?

The coin-op industry had to keep parts available for their games.
In California, CA Robinson had to keep parts available for five years.
I had to order ramps for Jokers and I placed an order after three years
almost four years after the game was released. I had to wait six months
but the parts finally came in. I have ordered parts for games five years after production
and got the dreaded NLA. My friend ordered parts to turkey shoot and could not get
any because the game never really went into production. Ordering parts for Gameplan
was always a touch and go situation. Sometimes you were lucky and sometimes you were
not lucky.

#974 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

A California law to govern manufacturers Illinois?

Sounds weird, more like an urban legend.

Its the same kind of regulation that the car manufacturers have....
You don't by a car and thirty days later the windshield breaks and
you go to the dealers and order the parts and to have NLA.

#976 6 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

it's date stamped May 10 '82

And there you go... two years after the game was in production.
Sadly they just did not care about the color quality/consistency.
I did a playfield swap with a FirePower 2nd/rejected nos playfield. The colors
were silkscreened out of sequence... it ended up having a lot of olive green
color stuff everywhere. The game just looked wonky but clean.
Remember, back in the day they did not waste stuff....the manufacturers just
sold rejected 2nds as NOS.

#978 6 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

BIG color difference from blue to red its not a misalignment

From what I could see from your photograph, it looks like it is missing another screen.
There seems to be more dark stuff on the original playfield; on the left side of the planet.
As compared to the right playfield. I am going to assume they forgot a screen. Again, the
line that controlled parts availability did not have a good quality management. They were just
making stuff to meet the demand. The playfield is a neat find. Congratulations.

#980 6 years ago

O.K. here is that color on the original Firepower, it is not blue, it is a dark gray purple.
Aporximent color combination of...
Purple 66.7
Ref.Blue 22.2
Black 11.1
Your Firepower playfield NOS was silk screened in Dark Magenta.

#981 6 years ago

gmkalos
Thanks for posting a closeup of the center playfield.

#983 6 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

And that still doesn't explain the faceted inserts, clear coat, clear coat date stamp, star rollover inserts left in and no dimples.

1) Faceted inserts..... the supplier to Williams electronics went out of business.
---- 4 point emblem on clear transparent rollover lanes, Ribbed posts, Faucettop/starburst
---- bottom posts, aka "1/2 and 1/2 posts", jewel-cut inserts and arrows aka "Black Knight"
---- inserts. Gone in 1981/1982. All trademarks of the prior supplier.
---- Foremost plastics "starburst inserts" replaced what Williams had, starting with
---- the game 1982 Solar Fire.
2) Clear coat... Manufactures were experimenting mid 1985/1986 on forward... Bally very much so.
---- eg. "Plastic playfield" Speak Easy. Premer/Gottlieb plastic overlay, eg. Transporter and
---- Diamond Lady. Williams had "Diamond plate". Heck, I even complained and sent in the Williams
---- score/data card to the Comet pinball I had... and Williams sent me a new playfield. They were
---- testing a new silk screening company to go under contract with... needs to say, the
---- silk screening company lost the contract.
3) Star Rollover cap was customary in all manufacturing process; period.
---- The manufacturers do not have the time to "clean out" each star rollover.
---- Take a hammer tap it out the insert plug and insert the white star part of the assembly
---- and you're good to go to the next step on the assembly line.
Note: examine your playfield star rollovers you can see where the clearcoat tears have been on the
----- surface of the plastic.
4) No dimples. Of course not... The NOS playfield is not part of the current assembly line.
---- When Bally rereleased Eight Ball Deluxe you were able to get a playfield
---- that had its holes drilled and dimples put into place... but after a while...
---- The NOS playfield would be missing the pre-drilled holes and dimple stampings.
---- Why? Because Bally moved on to a new game.

#987 6 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

But why were the faceted inserts used,

You have starburst insert lenses, not faceted inset lenses.
By 1981 Foremost plastics is supplying all pinball manufactures.
Alien Poker would be the last production pinball to have flat regular inserts
Black Knight would have the faceted inserts.
Sometime after Black Knight, the company supplying Williams would go under.
Pharaoh pinball has starburst inserts.
Baracoa pinball has starburst inserts.
Firepower reissued playfields would have been made with what was available
at that particular time..1981-1982... = starburst inserts.
I looked at the IPDB and even the "prototype Firepower" had regular plane insert lenses.
Classic playfields reproductions started the starburst lenses thing on their reproduction
Firepower playfields because that was the sample playfield they had. Williams must have
had the copyrights to the "hotdog" lenses. Bally must have had the copyrights to the
small rounded arrow lenses. Neither used others inserts until they merged. eg. Police force.

2 years later
#1227 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

I used to have a few interesting machines[quoted image]

Curious question? Did you get the Game Plan Loch Ness Monster pinball from FabFan?

2 months later
#1235 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

The dude in the wifebeater lurking/leering in the corner is fantastic.

That's the game designer Jon Norris.

1 year later
#1319 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Basement:

Not a current pic, and I can't remember If I posted this, but this is the proto tommy I picked up this summer.
If I can get the business to eventually break even and start making money the plan is to bring one machine from each set of boards I make to some of the bigger conventions.
Tommy Proto - Extra pop bumpers, real chime unit, different ramp setup, airplane ball eject, playfield coloring is different.
I have so much in the pipeline right now, as covid parts are found and as cashflow allows i have boardsets for most major pinball eras
Dolly Parton Bally
Bally 6803 Game
Black Knight for System 3-7
Space Shuttly System 9
Elvira System 11
Sega/Stern Whitestar Game
Jurassic Park - Data East
Funhouse - WPC89
WPC95 Game
Sharpshooter - Gameplan[quoted image]

I got to play the proto Tommy when it first came out.
I do not know if the program was ever finished and corrected.

3 weeks later
#1321 2 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

“Wait a minute...WAIT a minute Doc, uh, are you telling me you built a time machine...out of a DeLorean?”
- Marty McFly
In 2022, let us all go "Back to the Future", and make it a better year for everyone.
One of the few remaining New Old Stock (NOS) pinball backglasses not installed in the game production of the "Back to the Future" pinball machine (Data East, 1990).
[quoted image]

Very nice.

11 months later
#1428 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Here's a pair of Centaur "alternate" plastics which I believe are meant to be mounted in place of the inlane gates, evidently making the game more difficult (no saves from the outlanes). They both have official Bally parts numbers printed on them, but I've never seen another pair, or even mention of them, anywhere else. If anyone can shine some light on these, I'd love to know the story behind them.
[quoted image]

I was able to get the extra pieces when I bought a set from the Bally distributor.
One needs six metal bell spacers to finish the pieces plus the extra screws.

1 year later
#1489 3 months ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Barry Oursler Unreleased Williams prototype of Beegees.
Enjoy
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The wonky kicker setup reminds me of Comet.

2 months later
#1508 43 days ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

I had the honor to purchase Ed Cebula’s Data East “Developer Team” jacket today. These jackets were given out to employees of Data East at the time. There are also some jackets floating around for extended family like a few wives, couple friends close to the development team. The jackets all are personally embroidered to the person it was given to, and the patches were given out amongst the team as the games came out. Each patch is an iron on patch that was meant to applied to the persons jacket. But many never made it to jackets.
I have been keeping an eye out for one for many years, and it is seemingly the most complete one I have ever seen yet. I was under the impression that there were only 12-14 patches. But there is 24 including the large laser war. Most notable patches are for unreleased games which include King Kong, Mad Pinball and Tattoo Assassins (Arcade).
I am sure this is the first time the majority of people have seen one of these jackets. But I am hoping that someone that is very familiar with these sees this. I would like to know how many patches were actually released. Are there any that I don’t have pictured here aside from Star Trek, and Simpsons? I am unsure who could even answer this question besides Joe Kaminkow. But would love to see some other jackets to know. If someone has a patch that I don’t have pictured, and as interested in selling it, I would likely be interested in buying it.
I also pulled a gameplan shirt. Because frankly I have never seen a shirt from gameplan. The collector also had a couple of sharpshooters, and a super nova. The Vegas was the lamest, title, but had the most art and best conditioned amongst the group. This shirt is actually Ed Cebula’s wife’s (Sarah) shirt. So being a ladies shirt (and even design?) it may be the hardest one to find.
Nonetheless I am very grateful to acquire these items and give them the exposure it deserves
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I recall a preorder group you could join for Laser War.
It was a limited time to join before the game was made.
You got the bomber jacket and any patch that came out.
That was all I could remember.
Data East gave long term employees some great perks.
Sadly, Sega canceled a lot of the things that Data East offered.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vec-tor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-rareprototype-pinball-stuff?tu=vec-tor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.