(Topic ID: 109687)

Show off your rare/prototype pinball stuff....

By Dayhuff

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,508 posts
  • 381 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 233 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9194 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9192 (resized).jpeg
6F788DBC-4445-4E2F-9202-7E163DF5D015_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
9359C96A-9EBB-489C-912A-CCD537A4B4F9_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
IMG_8221 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8183 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8917 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8913 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8916 (resized).jpeg
B3919377-F306-40BA-A421-5E54B4703889_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
2C2344E6-0F2A-4156-B27A-4B7E3B08395C_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
IMG_8143 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8139 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8149 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#875 7 years ago

Oh dear, just found this thread somehow. I know this thread isn't really for entire proto games, but my list of those is:

Whirlwind
Earthshaker
Banzai Run restored by HEP using full wired proto playfield found by John Wart Jr.
Funhouse
TAF built by HEP using all new stuff around a wired proto playfield that Kerry Stair found
Safecracker
CFTBL, supposedly HUO, HEP restored (and for sale, PM me)
Scared Stiff, HEP restored (also for sale, PM me)
WCS94, unrestored but nice (also for sale, PM me)
Road Show, HEP restored (also for sale, PM me)

As for rare games, I've owned a NF proto, WH2O proto, Krull, Joust, Big Bang Bar original, Big Bang Bar repro, and probably a few others.

I have a mostly complete NBAFB whitewood playfield that's wired and needs very little, I think, that I'd sell (pics attached). Oh, I also own one of the Limited Edition Monopoly models, Income Tax.

The most interesting of them all might be my "#1 on the run!" TZ. Supposedly Pat Lawlor signed the bottom of the cabinet that way for the first "production" game of each of his titles, which usually meant the game is a sample. My TZ is definitely a sample. Need to compare it with the pics above. It had the third magnet post and the wiring, so I added the magnet and the home ROM and it's functional. I don't know of any other "#1 on the run games", though I've been told a few have been spotted (and my apologies if there are others in the thread, I haven't read the entire thread yet).

And then there's the attached Pulp Fiction backglass art. Game obviously never happened because they didn't get the license. Sure would have been cool if it had!

Originally I was trying to get every Pat Lawlor game (at least through Monopoly). Then I found enough proto stuff that I was trying to get every PL game in at least sample if not proto. I was pretty close at one time, but ran out of steam. I think all I had left was NGG, but I don't really love that game, nor Roadshow, so I gave up on caring about the full monte and am now only keeping things I really like to play.

--Donnie

14188388_10210476588377058_4136559656146668018_o (resized).jpg14188388_10210476588377058_4136559656146668018_o (resized).jpg

14124893_10210476585056975_2732257906173993516_o (resized).jpg14124893_10210476585056975_2732257906173993516_o (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#881 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

#1 would have had the magnet on it. You have a sample ? Check your build date.

Pat supposedly did that with the first "production" games, but in Williams terminology I believe that to be the first *sample* games.

As for Pulp Fiction, I don't think it was job application material, it was a license they went after and they threw together a backglass concept. But they didn't get the license and had to scrap it.

--Donnie

1 month later
#898 7 years ago
Quoted from chad:

IIRC my safe cracker was the 10th off the line. It is buried right now so I cannot get a pic of the serial number yet....

I have a prototype, too. Not sure which one, will have to check the number. But you can see the weld where they cut down a standard lockdown bar, so it's early.

--Donnie

2 years later
#1197 4 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Correct, it is a HEP restored Krull. The previous owner sent it to HEP to be restored a few years ago. But never set it up until two weeks ago when he set it up to take pictures for me.

How many has Chris done? I owned one for a short while, too. It was one someone else commissioned for Chris to do and I bought it as part of a package deal and sold it as part of another package deal not too long later.

--Donnie

#1202 4 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Mind is blown how one of the most rare and elusive machines is bought and sold as part of a 'package deal.' I can only imagine the emails or encounter ... 'I'll take the Krull, Joust, and hmm... let's throw in the King Kong as well.'

That's funny...because the package did include a Joust! No King Kong, though.

I've owned an original BBB, an IPB BBB, Krull, Joust, and MANY prototype Bally/WMS DMD games. Been super lucky, really. Still have a few protos, but finally just started keeping only games that *I* really like to play *and* that I feel comfortable working on. Should have kept the stupid Joust, but I didn't feel comfortable working on it so I decided to let it go. Was definitely not comfortable keeping the Krull working, and while I never actually played it, none of the games of that era appeal to me anyway, so it was another that was better to pass along. I originally intended on keeping the BBB, but at the end of the day I also didn't terribly enjoy playing it. I have proto SS and CFTBL machines and will be selling both of those for the same reason...just not games I *love* to play. They're good games, just not long term keepers for me.

--Donnie

#1217 4 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I have only done one Krull
It was for Donnie.
The person you bought this from did not send it here to be restored
I know this because I picked the game up in person in 2008 and completed the game in 2012 and Donnie paid the bill.
I don’t know if anyone ever unpacked it or played it after it was completed but I absolutely know who I did it for and where it initially came from.
From what I remember the chain of events was this
Bought game from Jeff R in 2008
Completed restoration for Donnie in 2012
Teekee somehow was then selling it around 2014(?)
Was bought by a guy named Derek from there hadn’t seen it until now.
The Derek guy did send a King Kong here direct to be restored so that may be his confusion.

Teekee and a partner bought it, the BBB, and I think the Joust from me. I don't think I ever even set the Krull up.

--Donnie

1 year later
#1298 2 years ago

I have a production Banzai Run but I swapped in an XR7 proto playfield that John Wart Jr found back in the day at a distributor. They thought they had a complete wired NIB lower playfield in the crate, but when it was opened it was obvious it was lightly used. It had more ball track than just a couple test plays would have had, but it was definitely pretty close to new. Anyway, I had HEP restore my game and put the XR7 playfield in it.

I also have "#1 on the run!" TZ signed on the bottom by Pat. Pretty sure it's technically the first sample game as it has the third magnet post and wiring but not red boards.

--Donnie

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Incline Village, NV
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-rareprototype-pinball-stuff?tu=djb_rh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.