(Topic ID: 109687)

Show off your rare/prototype pinball stuff....

By Dayhuff

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0835 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0834 (resized).jpeg
20240406_090551 (resized).jpg
IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9194 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9192 (resized).jpeg
6F788DBC-4445-4E2F-9202-7E163DF5D015_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
9359C96A-9EBB-489C-912A-CCD537A4B4F9_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
IMG_8221 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8183 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8917 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8913 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8916 (resized).jpeg
B3919377-F306-40BA-A421-5E54B4703889_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
2C2344E6-0F2A-4156-B27A-4B7E3B08395C_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#192 9 years ago

Not as exciting as most of the stuff posted, but my TZ -
IMG_20141111_180402.jpgIMG_20141111_180402.jpg
My game was a very early sample, and the spiral insert, when shipped from the factory, said 'GUMBALL'. A tech was sent down to scrape the insert clean and place a 'SPIRAL' decal on it. However, after scraping off the old decal, the tech realized he forgot to bring the 'SPIRAL' with him. He explained to me he'll mail it to the store.

I never got it, so to this day my PF's been with a blank insert. When HEP restores the field soon, I'll have him leave it blank, for nostalgia.

1 week later
#242 9 years ago

The 'black' ball you posted reminded me -

I have one of the 'prototype' blue powerballs; got it from Ted Estes when testing the 9.4H ROM for him. I know of another in existance down in Georgia (not sure if he's on Pinside here). Next to it is a very dark grey pinball I had made custom, many years ago. It's ceramic, like a powerball, but about half the weight. It's actually almost *too* light to put into a game, as some switch's springs are too strong and will catch the ball. (Like the left ramp switch..) I had 5 of these made, and gave a couple of them out to other collectors.

Blue & Dark Grey Powerball.jpgBlue & Dark Grey Powerball.jpg

#245 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

forgot those cool balls... how much for the groovy napkin?

Hah! $1.99 for 4 rolls of them at Costco! Not really that collectible.

But if you REALLY want one, let me know!

#250 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I was offered a blue powerball for sale several years ago. Didn't buy it at the time but wish I had. Very cool.

It's neat to have and display, but absolutely completely useless in the game.

It's completely invisible during gameplay, and being lighter (like the regular powerball), super fast.

I'll only put it into my game to let visiting players freak out and try to play with it - usually will last a game before they accept defeat.

My dark grey one is easier to see (oddly), but is much, much faster than a regular powerball. You can literally shoot it around the left spiral, and it will be out the other end of the spiral before the game can open the gumball diverter.

#254 9 years ago
Quoted from vidme:

ringmaster text is different on my cv playfield so im assuming its a sample machine

20121016_194450_resized.jpg 336 KB

Yes, that's a sample.
No 'SPIN', and your center 'Defeat Ringmasters' insert is a decal - underneath of it says 'Visit Ring 3'. The 'SPIN' marvel insert says 'CRANK'. The small Ringmaster heads between the RM multiball inserts are also decals.

#258 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

This is another rare (I think) and beautiful game from Spain... the attention to detail on the artwork is amazing!

That. Is. Amazing!

#268 9 years ago

An update -
Since my WCS playfield came in today, got a few images of the differences. You'll notice that a couple of the inserts have lifted - once I get my TZ put back together, this playfield will go out to get touched up and clearcoated, to (eventually) be put into a WCS machine.

A closeup of the 'Build Lock' inserts and the 'Lock' inserts. The 'Build Lock' has 'Lock' missing, and the bottom panel of the soccerball is clear, letting the light shine through:
IMG_20141202_151346.jpgIMG_20141202_151346.jpg

"GOAL" is green, not yellow:
IMG_20141202_151358.jpgIMG_20141202_151358.jpg

The missing fourth STRIKER target. As far as I can tell (not confirmed), the samples/proto machines that had a hole here had the target removed and the hole filled up. When the playfield is installed in my machine, I will have a target there, just because..:
IMG_20141202_151404.jpgIMG_20141202_151404.jpg

And, what 'Ultra-Goalie' used to be:
IMG_20141202_151338.jpgIMG_20141202_151338.jpg

#270 9 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Did you get this off KLOV a few years back? I almost scooped that.

KLOV? Is that a radio station?

#280 9 years ago
Quoted from ALJO:

Very interresting thread, I have a Williams Rat Race prototype game (only 10 made) and also the white wood prototype playfield of the game.

IMG_0063.JPG 208 KB

IMG_0062.JPG 180 KB

Really neat! How's it play?

..And fix that plastic!

#292 9 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Oh dude, I like an hour and 1/2 from there. Nice score.

Me too.. maybe we can have a field trip. ..A very EXPENSIVE field trip.

#293 9 years ago
Quoted from ALJO:

Game play is very challenging, it gives the impression at first few plays that it's impossible to master, by the way I'm pretty sure that's the reason why Williams never produced these, but after many games you can get the hang of it, but it always stays a challenge since time is a big factor in game play.
The prototype playfield was never wired and never had any displays neither but has the 2 motors under the PF to control it, I'm pretty sure that they used this playfield just to test game play and then they must have decided to totally change the playfield configuration afterwards, I want to wire up the proto PF and keep it as second PF for the cabinet, I could swap the PF just like SWEP1 and RFM.
Here's a video I made a few years ago of another Rat Race I use to own (this one has the plastic marquee on the side).
» YouTube video

That's fantastic. I was laughing as I watched the video. I'd probably suck at playing it, but it does look challenging!

4 months later
#600 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I sent these pics to the IPDB, but for some reason they didn't put them up... so here they are... I love the artwork on this beast!!

Interesting.. I honestly have not heard of 'Peyper' before this!

2 months later
#624 8 years ago

Because I don't wanna see this thread die..

When CV was in design stage, I went to the arcade show in Atlanta. Met Cameron Silver, and they had flyers out for CV. Picked up a couple, as I had played the game and enjoyed it. Once the game was released, and real flyers were out, I got one of my early flyers framed with the 'production' one -
IMG_20150628_162443.jpgIMG_20150628_162443.jpg
IMG_20150628_162457.jpgIMG_20150628_162457.jpg

1 week later
#633 8 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

I have an uncut backglass panel for Cirqus Voltaire
I was told only a few exist, Either way its cool
cv_bg_01.jpg cv_bg_02.jpg cv_bg_03.jpg cv_bg_04.jpg

Where'd you get yours? I have one as well. Got it signed, I think. (I'll have to pull it out and check.) Mine, however, is a little nicked up around the uncut clear areas from storage.

1 week later
1 week later
#701 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

How do you guy's decide how much the sketches of playfields/cabinet artwork are worth? Won my first tournament saturday and really want to use the prize money to buy one for wall art, but no idea what it would run (if I can find some for sale).

Honestly? For me, it's a combination of how much money I got in my 'fun' account, and how much I like the artwork. Has nothing to do with anyone else and what they may like/dislike. Sometimes I'll come across something really friggin' cheap, and have to get it. (A few years ago, came across a *set* of Animaniacs production cels, the seller wanted under $50 for all 5 of them. I jumped on it...)

3 months later
#778 8 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Most people know that I have never met a pf I didn't like, and it is always nice to get one with a story, or something really rare. I had a em charlies angels nos pf, rocky, q bert.
Now I have a Diamond plate Dr dude. I have never sen one of heard of one. I did some research, and found out that the sample games had the diamond plate pf's.
One reason a DP pf is awesome, is I can clearcoat it. I just tried to clear a regular nos Dr dude and my clear reacts with the primer they used before printing. It gets under the print, only on the inserts, and causes white spots (which are gas). I have ruined about 8 nos pf's thinking I have a new way that will avoid the gas bubbles. One time I cleared a nos f14 and it didn't have the bubbles. yea!!! 2 weeks later, they appeared, 4 weeks later twice as many. I had to buy another pf from a customer (by the way I have several that this happened to. they are fixed by removing the effected inserts, sanding, then reinstalling. if anyone wants to buy a project)
Anyway the Dr dude I am clearing looks so beautiful, because of another reason, which is the sys 11 pf's have what looks like belt sanded marks on a lot of the pf's inserts. My diamond plate just looks perfect. I will finish polishing and post some pics. It is of course for sale. I don't know about the new rules of selling on pinside. I just listed restored IJ pf for sale and paid the 2 dollar fee, so I am not sure if we are allowed to talk about stuff we have for sale without listing and paying. If anyone knows this info and would like to inform me, feel free.
ALSO, if you have a diamond plate Dr dude, please let me know so I can get a count. so far 1.
cheers, ron kruzman
I think I will start a new post.

Back in the mid-late 90's, I had one. Was located at Tokens, in NW GA, Acworth GA to be exact. Have no idea what happened to it after I went out to Colorado.

2 months later
#787 8 years ago

I forgot I had this.. This came out of a sample Dr. Dude. Interesting that it was 'Playfield #1'.

IMG_20160206_175922_(resized).jpgIMG_20160206_175922_(resized).jpg

1 year later
#967 6 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I got one of these. About 54 of them made.

When you get a chance, send me a PM, want to verify / compare some stuff on your game with mine.

1 week later
#1003 6 years ago
Quoted from RetroToys:

I have a prototype 1989 Williams Police Force, only known one left in exceptional shape and excellent shape. Found in North Corolina where is sat for 30 years, nearly mint, a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what to do with it. Anybody know anything about it?

Why does anything need to 'be done' with it? Keep it as a great little game, and a prototype of it's model.

#1008 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Read what I said, then provide an opinion.

I'm not even sure why you posted this into this thread.. this doesn't have anything to do with Rare or Proto parts to show off.

Vid has a freakin' HUGE thread about this exact thing. Go post this there, please.

1 month later
#1023 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Yup I think it looks good on a game like Kiss.
John

Please tell you have a dollar coin mech in there, too.

6 months later
#1144 5 years ago

I forgot I had this. I don't remember where I got it from. (An Expo? AMOA conference?) And not sure if it's worth anything 'cuz of JPoop... But I always loved Linda Deal's artwork in this game.

A side of the cabinet, with JPoop's and Cameron's signature.

5Ks4hUu (resized).jpg5Ks4hUu (resized).jpgaU7jho2 (resized).jpgaU7jho2 (resized).jpg
#1148 5 years ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

NOS Paragon playfield....I have this for trade in the marketplace by the way.....

Love the art. Would love to have this and display it in a frame, but.. I'm sure someone else needs this for an actual game.

1 year later
#1237 4 years ago

So, now that I have been able to light up the inserts, let me show off my new acquisition. Twilight Zone has always been 'my' game - I own the very same game that got me my first arcade job, and it has been in my personal care since 1996 when I secretly swapped another TZ out in its place. (Long, unrelated story.) When 9.4H was in betatest, check_switch_26 offered one of his Prototype TZ's up for sale. I really wanted it, but I was JUST out of college, and had too much debt, so my 'bid' was beat out by another tester. Recently, someone here on Pinside posted that they had an 'unsual' playfield that they wanted to restore and put into their game. I saw the pictures, and... couldn't let them do that.

Pictured below is - for lack of a better term - a pre-prototype Twilight Zone playfield. (maybe 'Marketing Sample' fits better?)
QDyk64I (resized).jpgQDyk64I (resized).jpg
As I understand it, in doing research over the last 25+ years, at the start of the design phase the team needed to get artwork done for the playfield so that the marketing images (flyers, PR releases, etc) could be taken and sent to the publisher. The team wasn't ready yet, so some things were thrown together and art was sent to the PF manufacturer. I believe 2 or 3 of these were made. One had prototype toys installed (clock, gumball, etc) and put into a cabinet for the flyer. That one had the 'Clock Millions' insert hand-drilled in. (You can see it in the flyer, it has NO artwork/text on it.) Either another, or the same, playfield was used for the PR photos.

This one had nothing installed on it, ever. So this was ordered and put into storage.

While it IS neat to look at, there is no point in looking at things (like the "Player Piano" award) and going, "I wonder what that did?", since at this stage, the game wasn't yet a game.

More pics and closeups can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/mZ2qmYB
Plan on getting the art touched up as best as possible, and getting the field clearcoated to save and protect this little piece of history.

2 months later
#1251 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Not sure if rare or even noteworthy, but I have some art from a non-releases Williams game Defenders (or Alias Defenders).
This was (as I was explained) to be the next game for Williams before the SWE"1 license cane through. Or maybe it was the next to be made after SWE I forget the story./ These came from John Popadiuk years ago (yes, I know, I know). I thought they were a cool look into the art process, but what do I know.
Most are copies so as far as value I don't think there is a real amount, but they are cool to me anyway.
Chris[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome. $20 says he didn't actually draw this, though.

6 months later
#1268 3 years ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

[quoted image]

Do you.. maybe want to give some information on what it is? I mean, it means nothing to me..!

#1272 3 years ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

Hea new just breaking. INTERNET!!! enjoy

This is a "rare or prototype" thread.
It is obviously from a game, but what makes this so special? They made 100 of them - is this backglass a prototype? An extra? Sample? Art proof? I have a Nudge-It and Bell Ringer, which are MORE rare in number of games. I could post images here, but if I did? I'd explain them a little, so that other folks (like me and your post, in this example) know what makes it special, like a story on how you got it, or the story behind the glass.. Just.. a picture. Woop.

#1281 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Coyote’s point is that anyone can post anything but what’s really matter, if it’s not obvious, to explain the story and the interest or at least why translite is behind a glass.
At the same time LTG is one of the greatest guy on pinside and helpful as well.

This. Thanks for explaining it a way I apparently couldn't.

2 years later
#1387 1 year ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Are not all baywhatches narrowbody?

It's a wide-body game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-rareprototype-pinball-stuff?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.