(Topic ID: 109687)

Show off your rare/prototype pinball stuff....

By Dayhuff

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0835 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0834 (resized).jpeg
20240406_090551 (resized).jpg
IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9194 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9192 (resized).jpeg
6F788DBC-4445-4E2F-9202-7E163DF5D015_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
9359C96A-9EBB-489C-912A-CCD537A4B4F9_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
IMG_8221 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8183 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8917 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8913 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8916 (resized).jpeg
B3919377-F306-40BA-A421-5E54B4703889_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
2C2344E6-0F2A-4156-B27A-4B7E3B08395C_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
There are 1,511 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 31.
#801 8 years ago

Another highly uncommon backglass now.

NOS Bounty Hunter (Gottlieb, 1985) framed backglass.
I have not seen an original backglass other than in a game for over a decade.
Not many left around after over 30 years.
Bad lighting due to sitting in a hallway.
May post some more goodies, another time.

20160321_222755_(resized).jpg20160321_222755_(resized).jpg

#802 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Another highly uncommon backglass now.
NOS Bounty Hunter (Gottlieb, 1985) framed backglass.
I have not seen an original backglass other in a game for over a decade.
Not many left around after over 30 years.
Bad lighting due to sitting in a hallway.
May post some more goodies, another time.
20160321_222755_(resized).jpg

WOW!!!

#803 8 years ago

Bounty Hunter (Gottlieb, 1985) framed backglass.

Reminds me a bit of some Joe Kubert work.

#804 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Reminds me a bit of some Joe Kubert work.

One of Larry Day's best work, similar in quality to "El Dorado City of Gold", another rare backglass now outside of a game itself.
Somewhere in a box...

#805 8 years ago

NOS Bounty Hunter (Gottlieb, 1985)

I love Larry Day's artwork on this pin. The theme fits perfect with my Western Arcade. A friend of mine gave me one a few years ago, but I still need to restore it. Still looking for a nice replacement playfield, because this one unfortunately has a lot of wear around the pop bumpers.

Mine has this cool vintage ashtray attached to the side rail also. I have never seen one of these before.

Bounty_Hunter_(resized).jpgBounty_Hunter_(resized).jpg

Bounty_Hunter_Ashtray_(resized).jpgBounty_Hunter_Ashtray_(resized).jpg

#806 8 years ago

ebay.com link: Original Presentation Artwork for Williams 1981 PHARAOH Pinball Machine
Found this on ebay. I have the game but no way in heck I am getting that to go with my game.

#807 8 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

ebay.com link » Original Presentation Artwork For Williams 1981 Pharaoh Pinball Machine
Found this on ebay. I have the game but no way in heck I am getting that to go with my game.

Very cool.

#808 8 years ago

That's also not the only original art this guy has. Some really cool stuff.

ebay.com link: Original Pinball Artwork

#809 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

not the only original art

wow

#810 8 years ago

I know, right?

I messaged the guy to see if he had a physical store. I would love to see that stuff in person.

#811 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That's also not the only original art this guy has. Some really cool stuff.
ebay.com link

That's Bill Kurtz's stuff. He has had that for sale for decades.

#812 8 years ago

Sha, Na, NO!

#813 8 years ago

Original factory ink screened 1989 BK2K pinball topper that came with machines in box, most of which were stolen, lost, or never installed.
You do not see them extremely often.

This is not the same as the extra plastic found playfield plastic sets.

It includes various "Balls per play" numbers that are interchangeable on the backside of the topper through a cut out window. You can see another machine in the image gallery with 5 balls per play insert installed on the topper.

Installed with a rear bracket mount.
I kept the plastic film on this topper to prevent scratches.

IMG_20160325_083809_(resized).jpgIMG_20160325_083809_(resized).jpg

#814 8 years ago

The ORIGINAL 1997 Empire Interactive Pro Pinball - TimeShock! PC CD Rom game.
Full color oversize box, CD ROM (with Dolby Digital Red Book Audio that includes all the music tracks and can be played in any CD player, Track One is the game, there are 32 tracks of music), Table Manual, Technical Manual, and product registration card.

It may not be a "real" pinball machine right now, but it is damn close especially with the four "time zones" which are distinctly different eras of play with interlaced modes similar to say IJ:TPA but with separated gameplay.

It provides an amazing amount of insight into this game and the manuals are similarly laid out like a real pinball machine operator's technical manual which include the game diagnostic settings and feature adjustments.
This was unheard of for most PC games of the time.
The game was designed using WMS pinball software and CAD design, including coding for software, lighting, DMD animations, and flashers.
Not possible to be built as a real machine when originally conceived.

Quite a rare beast these days to find the first edition with all the original documentation.
Total cost? $5 in a computer gaming store bargain bin back in 1998.
A real "blast from the past".
Designed to run on Windows 95!
The original game is still installed on my computer (and still works 20 years later although many computers have come and gone since then) along with the newly released Barnstorm Games Steam "Ultra" version.

Silver Castle Pinball version is just on the horizon...

Just "Another Cunning Development".

If you have not ever head of this machine, go download the game for free on Amazon Underground and install it on your Android or Ipad.
You will then understand.

12657379_236717810004090_9158648892282237788_o_(resized).jpg12657379_236717810004090_9158648892282237788_o_(resized).jpg

609483_(resized).jpeg609483_(resized).jpeg

#815 8 years ago

Here is my 1978 Gottlieb Hit the Deck only 375 made

IMG_6312_(resized).JPGIMG_6312_(resized).JPG

#816 8 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Here is my 1978 Gottlieb Hit the Deck only 375 made

IMG_6312_(resized).JPG

The cabinet colors look nice.

#817 8 years ago

one more

IMG_6379_(resized).JPGIMG_6379_(resized).JPG

IMG_6380_(resized).JPGIMG_6380_(resized).JPG

#818 8 years ago

Got this LIONMAN! dome with some racing stripes! It's pretty rare

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#819 8 years ago

More NOS stuff, except a couple of things on this specific wall. One backglass was saved completely intact before something really stupid occurred (landfill rescue), the other is an alternative translite.

20160330_105708_(resized).jpg20160330_105708_(resized).jpg

#820 8 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

one more

IMG_6379_(resized).JPGIMG_6380_(resized).JPG

please bring to pagg.

#821 8 years ago

Bally joker,only 110 made
I also have an extra backglass

#822 8 years ago

Need to get this framed.
Factory unused copy LNM backglass that was ready for game install with trim and mounting, but never built.
I pulled it from the storage backglass box on my shelf.
I don't know how many of this Gameplan backglass exist outside of the one in the actual prototype game.
Originals estimates were around 10-15, but I cannot confirm, as information has been lost to time.
Feel free to fill in this gap, if someone actually knows how many extras were made.
It would make an awesome translite reproduction for wall hanging, as the detail on this backglass is stunning.
Red transparent film was used in the digital scoring display areas.

LMN_BG_(resized).jpgLMN_BG_(resized).jpg

#823 8 years ago

Complete framed set of Doctor Who Promotional Plastics including the rare DW Bumper Sticker with "Tardis" end pieces and two of the non-holographic backbox plastics that were not used in the production game.
History on the backbox plastics is pretty interesting from Pfutz, as there actually were TWO prototype sample DW machines used for testing, before the final production run commenced for the game.
I know there are few prototype lenticular backbox plastics still out there in the world (similar to the effect used on the WH20 topper) but I have not found one outside of the few remaining examples of the sample game from 1992.
Still searching...

I see what else I can dig out that might interest people.
Lots of history.

Doctor_WHo_Promo_(resized).jpgDoctor_WHo_Promo_(resized).jpg

#824 8 years ago

Need to get this framed.
Factory unused copy LNM backglass that was ready for game install with trim and mounting, but never built.
I don't know how many of this Gameplan backglass exist outside of the one in the actual prototype game.
Originals estimates were around 10-15, but I cannot confirm, as information has been lost to time.
Feel free to fill in this gap, if someone actually knows how many extras were made.
It would make an awesome translite reproduction for wall hanging, as the detail on this backglass is stunning.
LMN_BG_(resized).jpg

That is awesome!

#826 8 years ago

Need to get this framed.
LMN_BG_(resized).jpg

This game is so cool to me. When I was little I loved modern mythical monsters like Bigfoot, Chupacabra, and Loch Ness. I wish they made more of those games because I would have loved to own one. Is that backglass mirrored?

#827 8 years ago

Quite rare for now...
Detail, colors, and screening are superb quality.

IMG_20160404_163616_(resized).jpgIMG_20160404_163616_(resized).jpg

#828 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

This game is so cool to me. When I was little I loved modern mythical monsters like Bigfoot, Chupacabra, and Loch Ness. I wish they made more of those games because I would have loved to own one. Is that backglass mirrored?

Decorative edging and script is correctly ink screened mirror coated.
I uploaded 86 hi-res photos from the original owner that were used as part of the private sale so PinSide can fully appreciate the prototype in the archive.
It is a work of art, game play is above for the age, see my review.
I will probably never see the game again, "lost age".

#829 8 years ago

Decorative edging and script is correctly ink screened mirror coated.
I uploaded 86 hi-res photos from the original owner that were used as part of the private sale so PinSide can fully appreciate the prototype in the archive.
It is a work of art, game play is above for the age, see my review.
I will probably never see the game again, "lost age".

Thanks for doing that BK. It's beautiful. I'd love to see that as a black flocked uv poster. The colors would explode.

3 months later
#830 7 years ago

I'll revive this cool thread by mentioning: I just realized last night that my DM has red light boards, so it must be a proto!

I had had the habitrails out for 5 years, having misplaced my teardown pics, so it languished in mid-cleaning until a wild hair manifested last night which resulted, after much head scratching, in a "new" game to play (finally, and just in time for league at my house tomorrow)!

I'll investigate whether it has any differences and report back. Must need new ROMs!

#831 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I'll revive this cool thread by mentioning: I just realized last night that my DM has red light boards, so it must be a proto!
I had had the habitrails out for 5 years, having misplaced my teardown pics, so it languished in mid-cleaning until a wild hair manifested last night which resulted, after much head scratching, in a "new" game to play (finally, and just in time for league at my house tomorrow)!
I'll investigate whether it has any differences and report back. Must need new ROMs!

This is not meant as a slight, just education.

Red boards does not necessarily indicate it is a prototype. It might not even indicate it was a test sample. You have to look at the boards, EPROMS, playfield and game specific features of individual game titles.

Red boards that were overproduced and unchanged at start of production where used on the assembly line.

DM has three different PFs that where produced.
If I could see the inserts, I could assess were it was *roughly* in the production run, as they came from different sources.

#832 7 years ago

Bullseye 301, 150 kits made in 1986. I'm currently working on getting mine working. It was new in box so I threw it into an old silverball mania cabinet I had.

0611161433_HDR_(resized).jpg0611161433_HDR_(resized).jpg

#833 7 years ago

This is not meant as a slight, just education.
Red boards does not necessarily indicate it is a prototype. It might not even indicate it was a test sample. You have to look at the boards, EPROMS, playfield and game specific features of individual game titles.
Red boards that were overproduced and unchanged at start of production where used on the assembly line.
DM has three different PFs that where produced.
If I could see the inserts, I could assess were it was *roughly* in the production run, as they came from different sources.

True enough. I did neglect to mention:

Four blank inserts on the left.
All ROMs are EPROMs with written labels.
Game ROM label says P-F. DMD reports version PA-F.
Bought from a former Williams employee.

Is any of that definitive? I'm no expert on protos, obviously!

#834 7 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Bullseye 301, 150 kits made in 1986. I'm currently working on getting mine working. It was new in box so I threw it into an old silverball mania cabinet I had.

It was new in box? Can you show the box? That would be cool to see. Also did it come with cabinet decals? I think the flyer mentions cabinet decals were available but I've never seen any.

#835 7 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

I love Larry Day's artwork on this pin. The theme fits perfect with my Western Arcade. A friend of mine gave me one a few years ago, but I still need to restore it. Still looking for a nice replacement playfield, because this one unfortunately has a lot of wear around the pop bumpers.
Mine has this cool vintage ashtray attached to the side rail also. I have never seen one of these before.

Replacement playfield? i would fix that myself with paint if i had this game!

#836 7 years ago

Results look favorable on the DM.
Crosscheck the SN against existing databases based on sequence number.

IPSND is a good start.

#837 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It was new in box? Can you show the box? That would be cool to see. Also did it come with cabinet decals? I think the flyer mentions cabinet decals were available but I've never seen any.

Let me see if I can find a picture. It did not have the cabinet decals with it, they were probably shipped in another box.

#838 7 years ago

These used to hang at Williams.

20160719_212726_(resized).jpg20160719_212726_(resized).jpg

20160719_212606_(resized).jpg20160719_212606_(resized).jpg

#839 7 years ago

Results look favorable on the DM.
Crosscheck the SN against existing databases based on sequence number.
IPSND is a good start.

IPSND placed it third on the list. I take it that's a good sign?

This software is buggy, too. When I hit the claw while Demolition Time was lit, the game got stuck, giving the ball repeated rides up and down the elevator, with the claw never taking the ball or moving. That was a rather anticlimactic first time lighting DT!

#840 7 years ago

That may mean the DM was test sample, not a prototype. Cryo claw could have opto issues or just early ROMs. Do the board serial numbers have an X? If they do not, it most likely is not a proto.

#841 7 years ago

I have one of those ... (and the game to go with it)

#842 7 years ago

Red lamp boards definitely make those prototypes ... if they were never put in games, they were either mockups, or might have been use for fit-testing, etc.

#843 7 years ago

Twilight Zone distributor aerial sign/display ...

tzsign_(resized).jpgtzsign_(resized).jpg

#844 7 years ago

SafeCracker, with one of 9 prototype playfields (this is was the Engineering Sample), being played at SFGE 2016.

(Game won Best in Show, btw ... )

scsfge_(resized).jpgscsfge_(resized).jpg

#845 7 years ago

And, regarding the blue powerball ... this is why you don't use one ...

23-blupb_(resized).jpg23-blupb_(resized).jpg

#846 7 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

SafeCracker, with one of 9 prototype playfields (this is was the Engineering Sample), being played at SFGE 2016.
(Game won Best in Show, btw ... )

what is different on a proto SC?

#847 7 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

Red lamp boards definitely make those prototypes ... if they were never put in games,

Red lamp boards pop up in a lot of games.

Now a full set of red boards in the head is worth looking into.

LTG : )

#848 7 years ago

There are some design differences on the playfield involving wiring (I had to change a number of plugs to match what the software thought was supposed to be where) ...

The rear saucer/upkicker (above the jets, for the roof entrance to the vault) on the prototype is a plastic saucer insert the ball sits on ... on production games, this is routed into the playfield wood.

The biggest difference is every single rollover switch on the prototype is a reed switch ... as a result, the game plays ungodly smooth and fast as lightning.

Some of the artwork is also different, mainly on the varitarget lamp inserts, and the drop target lamp inserts.

#849 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Red lamp boards pop up in a lot of games.
Now a full set of red boards in the head is worth looking into.
LTG : )

LTG - this was in reference to the Shadow mini playfields, each with two red lamp boards ... I'd almost guarantee those came out of the design labs, and not the production line.

#850 7 years ago

played that SC @ SFGE wonderful , fantastic playing game first time I ever saw & then did it myself the coin& Assault the vault Bad ASS .... super nice game thanks again for bringing it & glad you won best of show well deserved!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

There are 1,511 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-rareprototype-pinball-stuff/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.