(Topic ID: 155473)

show off your powder coated machines here!

By Stones

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,731 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by gorditas
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210630_025317 (resized).jpg
20210630_025253 (resized).jpg
20210630_025220 (resized).jpg
dunkindonuts (resized).jpg
556689ecffbc64ccc9345b34a0fa4b4e3db8d738 (resized).jpg
ad44e5f87c59a9440744affe1e22334d2b89cc26 (resized).jpg
0174f4ce86f99ddfa1846eed234b16f83f2655c3 (resized).jpg
CA2F84B6-D048-45D2-AA11-D6E0F7DE87F1 (resized).jpeg
FCA19324-A7C7-41C7-AF08-373428084518 (resized).jpeg
8C53C929-ED5E-4175-88ED-7EA70A7B42FE (resized).jpeg
437B0D58-86EF-4478-83CB-1A9938DC9563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8945 (resized).JPG
IMG_8944 (resized).JPG
IMG_8946 (resized).JPG
IMG_8948 (resized).JPG
24B54CEE-A80E-49D2-AE92-51BCE59E8231 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panapinresto.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 5 years ago

Wonder what Dirty Harry would say about that color?

#65 5 years ago

Anyone else doing their own powdercoating? I built and oven that would hold side rails and started practicing. I still have the legs to do and some decals to add. I think the blacked out look is sharp on Pinbot.

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

What's the cost of getting one of these for my house?

Are you referring to the oven? I built mine. I found the right metal cabinet, insulated the inside, lined it with sheet metal, then I added a window, light and element from an old range. It has a PID controller and K type thermocouple. I might have $100 in it.

#135 5 years ago

Lots of pros hate nothing more than to see "regular" guys doing the work they do. Electricians, machinist, painters, plumbers, etc. I've seen many of them over the years bash a regular joe for doing his own work. I do my own powder coating also and I'm no pro. My work is also not perfect all the time. I have lots of fun learning new skills though. I also get a great sense of pride. Just be happy for us backyard pin lovers. We know we're not doing Pro work. We're also not dropping tons of cash on pro equipment. Doesn't mean our pins don't look great.
I love to see the powdered pins in these posts but what I'm seeing more than anything else is love. Everyone here loves these machines. Let's just leave it at that.
Now let's see some more pics,

#161 5 years ago

I have a question for those who do their own powder coating. Where do you buy your powder and is there a difference in brands?
Is there someone who sells high quality in small quantities? I've never had trouble with what I'm buying but I'm new at this so what do I know?
I usually buy 1/2 or 1lb bags of powder. Lately from powderbythepound. A 1lb bag is enough to do a whole pin with some left over.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Prismaticpowders.com is where you should buy from. 1lb should not be enough to do a whole pin. Takes approximately 1.5-2lbs depending on if you do the coin door and hinges. Go a little thicker if you are only getting .75lbs on a pin.

Thank you sir. I will do that.
So why are prismatic powders better? Have you used powderbythepound pound? You would know better than I but I'm just curious what the difference is.

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Prismaticpowders.com is where you should buy from. 1lb should not be enough to do a whole pin. Takes approximately 1.5-2lbs depending on if you do the coin door and hinges. Go a little thicker if you are only getting .75lbs on a pin.

Their prices are better than where I've been buying and I like the site better. I'm going to order a black and try it.

#168 5 years ago

What about epoxy powders. That's what I've been using on my machines. I read it held up better and was fairly good with UV exposure. Is epoxy overkill, ok or the wrong stuff to use?

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

They are both good and there is definitely some overlap in what they sell but you will find more custom and unique colors @ prismatic. While its a bit more expensive the quality is there. Not sure as to the cost to ship to panama though.

I have a DPO address. Costs the same as shipping to florida. Otherwise I'd be screwed. There are no addresses in panama. No post office. Nothing. If your local and you want to order international it's really expensive.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It's way overkill for a pin and it's caustic/toxic when its heated so please make sure you ventilate properly. Also the color choices aren't as wide as your standard poly powder.

I have an exhaust fan and plenty of fresh air.
I'll try some other products if epoxy it overkill. I have found the epoxy to be virtually indestructible.

#258 5 years ago

How about powder coated gumball machines? I did this today for my daughters room.
It's an older machine. I'm guessing the 70's. It was fun.

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

3 months later
#548 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looks nice but why didn't they coat the screws and bolts.

It's easier to replace chrome bolts than powdered bolts when they get marked up.

#553 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

But I've had all the screws and hinge bolts coated on all my games for a couple of years now and they are still perfect so I don't understand how they could get marked up, once you put them on there's no reason to mess with them. I could see the leg bolt heads, they chip like crazy so on the front legs I replaced them with Refinery show quality bolts. Those things are GREAT.

I thought you meant the leg bolt heads. I see the other black bolts now. Guess that's just preference.

1 week later
#581 5 years ago

I don't think powder adds or subtracts from the value. I'm not paying extra because you customized your machine the way you like it. If I pay for powder (or any custom work) I want to pick the color. I'm not paying for someone else to customize my machine. On the flip side, it does have some value so I won't expect to reduce the machine price. It's a break even investment.

3 months later
#687 4 years ago

I just finished shopping and powder coating my LAH. I did it myself with a home setup. It came out good. I did everything on the pf yellow and the legs, door, siderails ,etc in black.

IMG_1681 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panapinresto.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside