(Topic ID: 155473)

show off your powder coated machines here!

By Stones

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,014 posts
  • 356 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 176 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Machine_04 (resized).jpg
Machine_03 (resized).jpg
Machine_02 (resized).jpg
Machine_01 (resized).jpg
63246580663__8BCB4A61-E7EB-4F2F-B4CF-33F968B6C07B (resized).jpeg
IMG_5950 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5980 (resized).jpeg
63246610992__ED7DA80C-682D-46BE-8FB0-F5F782F8179B (resized).jpeg
IMG_5987 (resized).jpeg
63252200281__F78200A3-61D5-45C2-95E0-3AC815CFA7AE (resized).jpeg
IMG_6006 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6007 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240415_183519404_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240415_183526698 (resized).jpg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_141807421_HDR (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MustangPaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#103 8 years ago

Just did my BF armor in candy blue and did candy red on my Mustang Pro.

IMGA0303[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0303[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0304[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0304[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0305[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0305[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0411[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0411[1]_(resized).JPG

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from mskoenen:

How did you get the cabinet protectors to light up? Is that something that Stern does?

I started making and selling them. Visit my topic "New LED Leg Light-Ups". Also in the Market Place with that title too.

#123 8 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

This is cleared painted and cleared. Had to scan my pinball refinery metal apron to try to get a paint code so we could match it. Like most have said pictures really doesn't do it justice. Looks awesome in the light.

2016-02-05_10.17.34_(resized).jpg2016-02-06_11.09.17_(resized).jpg2016-02-06_11.09.01_(resized).jpg

That's a nice looking red. I'd like to get a red like that in powder for my GB Pro.

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That powder looks like it was done in a backyard with no surface prep. The orange peel is some of the worst I have ever seen. That's due to a multitude of factors:
Poor surface prep (no chem dip for example)
Not enough charge (Like someone using an eastwood gun or something from harbor freight)
Uneven heating or low temp melt. ( < 400 degrees evenly )
Too thick of an application coupled with poor heating.
I would take that to whoever did it and rip them a new one and have them re-do it. It should be smooth as glass.

Man...you have been here long enough and now better then to post this kind of statement. We're here to HELP each other enjoy the hobby not talk shit about others work. If you don't like something just don't say anything.

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Candy apple on imve with matching apron. Color looks amazing with the shiny foil decals and lollipop side rails . 20160327_042853.jpg20160327_043333.jpg

I so want that style of apron to coat and put on my GB Pro. If I could find one and if it would work on the game that is. I'm gonna turn my Pro into a Promium.

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from biglaw:

others posted my candy red IM also

IMAG0377_IM_powder_1_(resized).jpgIMAG0376_IM_Powder_2_(resized).jpgIMAG0375_IM_Powder_3_(resized).jpg

That's sharp and the front would really light up with my amber leg light ups.....sorry for the shameless plug.

#196 8 years ago

I've never bought from either one so I wouldn't know but I do love the candy purple, that's what's on my Refinery Met Pro.

#209 8 years ago

That's one sexy MB. Love the laser cut apron with el paper.

#263 8 years ago

To bad most of you guys have to ship your parts. I use Twin City Powder Coaters, only 10 miles away so round trip for gas is only $3. I had a small booger in my BF lock down bar and another one in a side rail. I inspected everything before I left the shop and they redid both pieces N/C.

#271 8 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

ulmpharmd, the light up aprons are they from Joey?

I'd like to get a light up apron, the 2 cut outs also. I could then have it powered the same as the armor for my GB Pro that's coming. But where to get the colored plastics for those cut outs.

#279 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I took a small wireform (16") to a local shop because I was in a hurry and they a) charged me $100, b) took 3 weeks, c) did the crappiest job I've seen yet. Yea - it was covered in powder I guess - but way too much. It had drips/runs all over the place.

and you accepted them? Is that the only place in town that does pc?

#281 8 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

Monopoly, which is now a "Gold Edition" Just picked the armor up from Matt @ Back Alley and it looks amazing!

20160401_171913_(resized).jpg20160401_171431_(resized).jpg20160401_171931_(resized).jpg20160401_171822_(resized).jpg20160401_153514_(resized).jpg20160401_171944_(resized).jpg

That is one stunning looking game.

#285 8 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

I also picked this up from Matt at Back Alley today as well. It's like having a new pin!

20160401_222409_(resized).jpg20160401_215005_(resized).jpg20160401_214955_(resized).jpg20160401_214936_(resized).jpg20160401_214949_(resized).jpg

WOW that's green, does it light up under uv?

#289 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

They're designed and made by Pinball Dreams in Germany. They have a range of them.

Those aren't what I'm looking for, I want the the stock kind like on my Avatar LE....if that apron will fit on GB which at this point is a big ???? If the GB LE has a metal apron I wonder where I could buy one of those, I imagine it would fit the Pro too.

#301 8 years ago

What do you guys think of this color on a GB Pro? All armor, legs and LE style apron.

final_pi_Illusion_Berry_PMB-6907_(resized).jpgfinal_pi_Illusion_Berry_PMB-6907_(resized).jpg

#303 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Man, I think that would look awesome!

I know the colors on the cab are mostly blue an the sides but there a 2 large areas of red on the front. I'm even thinking of doing a 2 color leg light up for the Pro, blue where the blue is on the cab front and red where the red is. If it works there would be a small area of the plastic protector between the 2 that would be a slight purple.

#305 8 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

I've seen that color (illusion berry) and honestly I think it's too dark (it's much darker in person and it takes a lot of light to bring out that metal flake) ...my bud is getting a premium and I think we are going to do illusion violet on it..it's the same color I used on my CV...but the great thing is that there is no wrong choice as long as you like it!

Thanks that's kind of like I was thinking from looking at the 2 ends, my game room is dark so that's good to hear from someone that's seen it.

#307 8 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

I still think red powder like on acdc would look sick on ghostbusters. It matches the crossed out ghost.

Well I found these 2 reds, they would match the sky of the new blades pretty good.

final_pi_Candy_Raspberry_PPB-5935_(resized).jpgfinal_pi_Candy_Raspberry_PPB-5935_(resized).jpg
final_pi_Racing_Raspberry_UPB-6610_(resized).jpgfinal_pi_Racing_Raspberry_UPB-6610_(resized).jpg

#310 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Where can you get an LE style apron for Spike games?

I found one after a long search, really kind of dumb luck actually. I'll have to wait till I get the game to see if it will fit.

#312 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Both have a pink lighted hue.

Yes they are actually under the pink color wheel on their web site but the candy raspberry looks like it matches the sky good of the pinblades.....from what I can tell from pictures that is.

#315 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Don't be so quick to give in just yet!!! They can send you samples to see the color beforehand. Always, always request samples before ordering.

Well once I saw the GB blades and the color of the sky on them I think the Candy Raspberry with a silver metallic base would actually look better, much brighter for my dark black light gameroom.

2 weeks later
#327 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

My EATPM under a blacklight.

20160423_115800_(resized).jpg

Yeah that really lights up....to make it light up MORE put my green Leg Light-Ups, beatmasters green shooter housing light up and a PBL green shooter knob on her.

#332 7 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I put some custom textured purple over silver artery powder coat on my Metallica. It is hard to get a feel for how it looks in the big picture, so I added a detail shot.

IMG_4921_(resized).JPGFull_crop_(resized).jpg

That looks rich. I like it.

#333 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

20160426_184945_(resized).jpg

That looks really nice, what color is that.

#336 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Its the GOLD Smaug Hobbit. Let me get a better pic.. This is a better pic of the color.. Its really nice..

13000326_1169285016423426_8002188999649615028_n_(resized).jpg

Much better.

#337 7 years ago
Quoted from PjM:

image_(resized).jpeg

Beautiful. My blue leg light-ups would look GREAT on that. You going to the GB Party Sat.? All 4 of the GB pins will have my mod on them and I'm giving one set away as a prize.

2 weeks later
#364 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Are there any recommendations from Pinsiders for getting powder coat work done? Looking for someone that has done pinball machines before kind of like Mike Chestnut (RIP) did for plating. I just want to send someone some armor, pick a color and have it shipped back to me when finished.
I did some research and see that Alex (pinchroma) shows no longer active and not sure if he still does this.
Thanks,
Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

Rob just find a local place, if you have friends with hotrods or nice bikes ask them where's a good coater. Take your parts in, pick a color and come back when their done. They will be wrapped up real good but unwrap them there and inspect them for any flaws, they will redo them to your satisfaction. DON'T leave untill you have inspected the parts cuz once you leave your stuck with what you have.

#370 7 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

The place I just dealt with said if its steel we can do it. He told me that this was the first time he did pinball parts. They completely cleaned off my like new MET legs prior to application via sand blasting and a chemical process I believe. Came out so good that I'm dropping off my IM parts a little while! I will say that I am anal and you can see where a dust partical must have gotten on to it during the process in a couple of spots. Minimal though. Looks great. If it was a car I would be pissed though.
Update: Just dropped off IM parts and I explained about the minor imperfections on the MET parts. He said that he would do them again. I will check all of these parts when I pick up as someone mentioned a few posts ago.

Yup, that's why you inspect the parts before you leave the shop. I had a couple of imperfections also so I just left those parts and came back when they were done. The chemical cleaning after blasting is important cuz it cleans all the blasting particles off the metal before coating and enhances the powder adhesion and flow of the plastic as it melts.

#374 7 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

But couldn't one batch of paint be slightly different then another?

Powder not paint. Highly unlikely, these guys are pros so they know what their doing.

#375 7 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

I have all of my games powdercoated. The shop strips it done to bare metal , then chemical clean ,then put on a silver base coat , then spray on the powdercoat, then it baked in an oven. They can spray on the powdercoat thin or thick. The thicker the coat , the darker or deeper the color comes out. The going rate in my neck of the woods is a little under 200 bucks . The siderails , lockbar , hinges, 4 legs and the shooter housing.

Dang your lucky, maybe you get a discount because of your volume.

#376 7 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

I'm thinking of getting the MET wireforms done. My first thought was to match the purple armor. Then someone recommended candy red. Now I'm thinking a cool green. Or maybe just leave it as it is. Any thoughts.

Here's the green my BF wireforms were done in, it looks great. Don't know the name of it.

IMGA0340[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0340[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0341[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0341[1]_(resized).JPG

#391 7 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

I think this powder coat color looks pretty good on an LE...

Yeah I think the green looks good too....but maybe the sparkly green that I posted above would give it a little pizzaz.

#398 7 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

Thats crazy, you can order a pound of colored powder for 17 bucks plus 10 bucks in shipping.

+++ that.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#412 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

My IJ done in Bronze Metallic (really doesn't show in the pics):

Show a close up of the color. Hey the legs of your pool table look just like mine, mines a Heritage 7ft slate.

#421 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Coin door, legs and shooter housing look darker due to overcast lighting but it's the same as the lockdown and rails. Very nice multi stage glossy purple. So shiny it shows fingerprints like chrome.

Yeah that purple works with this game.

#442 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I bought my Ironman new in 2010. I always wanted to powdercoat it like Ironmans suit and last week I finally got around to it.
Hey, good things take time.
rd

Hey that looks great. If your interested here's a couple of pictures of a Pinsiders Ironman with my amber Leg light-ups on. I have other colors available also.

Amber_Ironman._(resized).jpgAmber_Ironman._(resized).jpg

Amber_Ironman2_(resized).jpegAmber_Ironman2_(resized).jpeg

#455 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Paul, I see one of my keychains on his IM...whose is it?

Grinder901

#463 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

These all look geeat. Is removing/replacing the the side rails difficult or risky? I have never tried, but would like to. Is there a vids guide ?

Piece of cake, remove the screws, use a heat gun on low setting, heat the rail a bit and gently pry up one end a little bit at a time heating and working your way down taking care not to bend the rail. Just take your time.

#470 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Not powder coated, but....

Looks good but on the coin door painting the driver is on the wrong side.

#472 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Yeah.... I have noticed that from the start.... but what could I do since the door painting was a "surprise gift" from the restorer???

I see, well a gift is a gift.

#489 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I guess you could fill the holes with weld and file it back to smooth it out.

Eastwood sells some stuff that's high temp bondo for stuff that's going to be power coated.

#495 7 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

So I have found a company local to me and they have many different options on their website for different powders. Can I get some opinions on the best powder to use or what everyone else uses. I have never had any metal powder coated before and want to make sure I make the correct selections. I was planning to purchase side rails and hinges for my Metallica from pinball metals. Do I need to purchase the raw metal if I am going to have them immediately powder coated?
Any insight with this would be great.
Thank you!

The TGIC Polyester is the way to go. You don't need excellent corrosion protection or chemical/solvent resistance.

1 week later
#501 7 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

Here's my work in progress.....The powder coating guy accidently ruined some coin door parts. does anyone have these coin door parts they are willing to sell me? (pics below)
1. Button housing (coin entrance plate) #27-1021
2. Coin return bezel #27-1061-1
3. coin return flap #27-1062
Thanks, Jon

Oh man that's the shits....wish I could help.

#505 7 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Following along with this thread inspired me to look for someone local who did powder coating. Finally found someone and got them to do armour for my Shadow. I'm pretty impressed with the results. Price was fantastic too.....180 Canadian (I guess about 140 USD) for everything. First pic is the gun before. Everything else (rails, legs, hinges etc were all new).

Wow did you get a deal. Looks GREAT.

#507 7 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

A buddy of mine told me that old side rails tend to warp when getting powder coated. Anyone have experience with this? I.E., should I buy new rails?

Never heard that one before.

2 weeks later
#522 7 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Bump fore more GB pics......gotta be a few out there by now

My Candy Raspberry armor will be ready Tue. or Wed.

#531 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

My Candy Raspberry armor will be ready Tue. or Wed.

Picked up my parts yesterday, all looked great except one leg had a large not so good spot about 3 inches long. I pointed it out to the guy and he said "looks like a bad spot on the metal or something, I can TRY to fix it if you want but I'm not making any money doing your parts so I won't do any more". I payed him $300 and walked out with my parts. Pissed me off. I'm using the one bad coated leg on a back leg where you won't see it.

IMGA0595[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0595[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0596[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0596[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0598[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0598[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0601[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0601[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0600[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0600[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0602[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0602[1]_(resized).JPG

#533 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Ouch. I've been there... done that Paul. Sorry to hear that; despite the non-professional rant earlier in the thread... I still prefer to do it myself so I only have to blame one person. :S

Thanks Zitt, some things I like to do myself too.

IMGA0597[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0597[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0595[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0595[1]_(resized).JPG

#538 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

If I would be interested in doing an article on powder coating for Pinball Magazine No. 4, who would be a good party to talk to?

Someone at the Refinery could probably give you a name of who does theirs. You can use a picture of mine that I posted above no charge.

Quoted from libtech:

One more candy red Ironman! Shes beautiful in person

Oh yeah. Now you need beatmasters shooter light up in amber and my amber leg light ups. I'm now offering 8 clear leg bolt washers FREE with every kit, the washers actually light up because they are clear. They don't light up like the leg light ups but they do light up.

#547 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Hot Pink GB Baby! Now that's what I'm talking about! Huge shout out to Bryan Kelly for referring me to Matt at Back Ally Creations and an even bigger shout out to Matt for his incredible work and fast turn around time!

Looks nice but why didn't they coat the screws and bolts.

#549 7 years ago
Quoted from PanaPinResto:

It's easier to replace chrome bolts than powdered bolts when they get marked up.

But I've had all the screws and hinge bolts coated on all my games for a couple of years now and they are still perfect so I don't understand how they could get marked up, once you put them on there's no reason to mess with them. I could see the leg bolt heads, they chip like crazy so on the front legs I replaced them with Refinery show quality bolts. Those things are GREAT.

#551 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

I actually prefer the black contrast.
That's why I didn't have the coin door or shooter done.

I see.

#560 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Tilt Graphics was showing off vinyl wrapped legs at the Pintastic show. I think he said $40/leg pre wrapped, since it would be too difficult to apply it yourself with the ridges on the legs. They wrapped lock down bars as well, but it seemed a bit wrinkly on the rounded edges. The legs had no issues.

I'll pass.

1 week later
#582 7 years ago

Hey guys I have clear leg bolt washers for sale, 33 cents each and shipping is only $4 to Canada or USA. PM me if interested. I've been testing these on my powder coated legs and they work great. Thanks

#598 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballBulbs:

Just finished these two for a local customer friend

I LOVE the lit T molding.

#599 7 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

LED T Molding? is that actually part of the T-Mold or stuck onto the outside of the existing one?

That's like I did with my GB Pro but I used rgb leds.

#600 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballBulbs:

Just finished these two for a local customer friend

Did you hook those up to game power? Do they go all the way around the edge?

#606 7 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

It would be cool to see a stern backbox lit up have you done that yet markmon?

I did my GB Pro with rgb and only a few people liked it. The rgb is nice cuz when your in a solid color they have like 8 brightness levels. These pictures were taken at the highest brightness.

IMGA0511[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0511[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0510[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0510[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0513[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0513[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0515[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0515[1]_(resized).JPG

#608 7 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Cant decide if i like the purple or green better

My camera makes it look purple, actually that's blue. That's why I put an rgb strips in so I can change it up if I want AND get the rgb fading. A bit more money but now I have options.

#610 7 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

That came out great paul! You should sell kits

I think it did too but only about 7% of the people that answered my pole said they liked it and it's difficult to assemble with too much that can go wrong.

#612 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Paul, I don't wanna hurt your feelings, but.... I didn't like it either....

Not at all, hey I hate it when people put action figures all over their pf's but that's just my opinion. Everyone has a right to their own opinion right. That's why I put a poll up, to get peoples opinion. So what's your opinion on the lit T molding on RFM and SW? I like it. I was originally was gonna do that to my RFM almost a year ago but kept putting it off, when GB came along I knew I had to put it on that game first. I just ordered the parts to do my RFM but again I'm using an rgb strip so I can change the look whenever I want. The parts run about $90.

#614 7 years ago

Thanks man, you too.

Thumbs down is just someone disagreeing with you, no big deal.

I do too, they came stock on my Avatar LE.

#617 7 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Like Paul said, i disagree with you. Nothing personal. I think Paul's GB looks bad ass and very unique.

Well that makes 2 of us.

#618 7 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Finished the Scared Stiff. The side rails are Stern and just clip on top of the originals. That's so I can take them off with no harm done to the originals. I was surprised on how tight they fit and how they match the pinblades decals.

Hey that's neat.

3 weeks later
#638 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

So if I would be interested in having some pinball parts powdercoated, who are the go to guys? Or is everybody just finding someone locally?

Still looking to do that article for PM? I go local, I can inspect the parts unwrapped when I pick them up, if anything has to be redone your right there, then I wrap them up just good enough to get them home. To ship these parts they usually wrap the hell out of them so they don't get damaged, total waste. The shipping of all the parts to and from costs a lot so by going local you'll save $50-$75 depending where you live. The job will get back to you a lot faster too, no shipping time to and from.

1 week later
#645 7 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

Goto prismatic powders, pick out an illusion color (1 lb.) , use silver flake underneath it, bring in all your parts (including the shooter housing) , takes about a week and 200 bucks....done !

+++ that and if you want a more complete look bring your apron in too or buy Timebandits clear color plastic apron.

4 weeks later
#652 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Bummer that someone got their fingers jammed in that coin door!
Hopefully that blood will clean up ok.
rd

4 weeks later
#667 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I got my GOT pro parts back today.
Well, most of them, I must have left the shooter housing behind.
I'm not usually a fan of gold powdercoat, usually it looks a bit "deluxe beige" to my eyes. Like on MMR. On traditional machines like that I would go gold plating.
But gold plating didn't suit this machine. Too blingy. So pacific gold powdercoat it was, and it matches up the fonts used and the playfield colours nicely, IMO.
rd

Yup, that gold is perfect for that game.

#675 7 years ago
Quoted from TheBigDog:

Any ideas for WH20 next to it? I was hoping something that would light up with the black light (not many options with powder coating). Maybe just a good blue is better?

A nice Candy Blue......with my blue Leg Light-Ups.

#677 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yay! My gold shooter housing eventually showed up.
rd

Now ya need beatmasters amber lit shooter housing and my amber Leg Light-Ups.

#679 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That'd be bling overload for me, Paul ... one man can only handle so much bling, ya know ...
rd

#689 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I wouldn't be doing it, personally. I prefer classic games to be ... "classic".
But it's over to you at the end of the day. You could always get a second cartridge to powdercoat and keep the original one. Legs are dime a dozen so no worries there. The job wouldn't be un-reversible that way.
rd

Yup, that's got my vote.

#690 7 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Just using gold behind lasercut railing temporarily

Oh you need my amber Leg Light-Ups on that puppy.

#691 7 years ago

and my white ones would look killer on yours.

#693 7 years ago

Oups...thanks rd. Gotta pump the biz a little now and then. So many people out there have never heard of them.

3 weeks later
#718 7 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Purple Xman Pro

Avengers Pro "mini hulk"

Metallica Pro Purple Apron project

Aprons ....I love powder coating.

Super.

#737 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Anybody know the color description or color code for the GB green powder coat ?

That green is to bland, try Granny Smith Apple green.

IMGA0340[1] (resized).JPGIMGA0340[1] (resized).JPG

#739 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Paul you always have liked the flashy style .

Yeah well if I'm gonna spend that kind of coin I want a "little" flash for my cash. You should see my gameroom.

#742 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Like a mix between a 70's disco club and Tron. LOL.

Black light all the way baby. But NO disco mirror ball.

#743 7 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Im actually doing my gbpro in something very close to thst green, stay tuned parts should be back any day

Pictures.

#749 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

If that awesome green is anything to go by, lets see that game room

I don't have a good camera but here's one that shows the bl carpet kinda good. I even put 21 inch florescent bl's on the underside of each game so the carpet lights up perfect under them, you can kind of see it in the picture.

IMG_0494(1) (resized).JPGIMG_0494(1) (resized).JPG

1 week later
#753 7 years ago

That green looks really good on your GB Pro.

#754 7 years ago

Show quality chrome bolts would look great with those blue legs.

1 week later
#762 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Everything was rusty as hell on this machine. It must have been stored in some crappy wet warehouse for years.
All these bits were blasted and then powdercoated in gloss black.
All the bolts and screws I stripped back individually on the bench wire wheel, and double coated with black gloss Dulux spray paint.
Some got scratched on installation, so all those got hand painted with a brush.
All the spinner brackets, switch brackets etc were also finished by hand.
rd

Nice work there rd. You saved another :applause:one.

1 week later
#770 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I couldn't be any happier with how this turned out. It's stunning to me in bright light.

That looks soooo rich. I can feel it from here.

#772 7 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Has anyone powder coated a Walking Dead Pro? I was thinking something similar to the powder coat used on Iron Man. Some type of metallic maroon. Suggestions?

You play in a lit or dark room?

1 week later
#787 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Looks good, you should have modfather paint you a shooter rod to match.

Yup and my red Leg Light-Ups and Beatmasters red shooter housing light up.

1 month later
#827 7 years ago

My red Leg Light-Ups would look great on that.

4 weeks later
#859 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Teardown has begun, 4 games will be posted with new colors in a few weeks.
2 on the ground so far, 2 more to rip down later

What collors ya thinkin about?

#863 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

To answer in a douchebag way.... Colours to be shown on completion.
But to give a little clue, I'm going against all the typical choices for my games.
Met will NOT be purple.
Iron Man will NOT be red.
The other two I haven't seen many coloured, so can't say what's typical.

Not douchey at all. Let's see what they look like when they're done.

1 week later
#881 7 years ago

Here's green on my GB pro.

IMGA0511 (resized).JPGIMGA0511 (resized).JPG

#886 7 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

That is so cool!

Here it is in red and blue too. They are all on full brightness for these pictures.

IMGA0510 (resized).JPGIMGA0510 (resized).JPG

IMGA0513 (resized).JPGIMGA0513 (resized).JPG

#890 7 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

Are those just mounted on top or behind some sort of lens?

No T-molding.com has frosted molding that has a pocket inside that a non waterproof led strip slides into. The barb on the back of it is wider then on regular molding so I had to use a wide flat blade screw driver to make the groove in the bb wider to make the new molding fit by just pressing in in. I originally made the groove a little wider so it could be tapped in with a rubber mallet but that broke some of the wires in the rgb strip which caused a few 3 led segments not to light up certain colors. I had to get a new strip, insert it into the T molding and make the groove wider so I could just press it back in.

#891 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I really want to say nice job on the first pin, but just can't do it. I think it would look great if you scratch the cab artwork and replace the translite with this...

Ouch.

3 weeks later
#919 7 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Elvira in progress and scared stiff just finished.

That's a ton of work but well worth it.

#922 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Let me ask you guys ,
When you choose a powder coat color , do you also choose a clear coat with a fleck or pearl effect. Or just clear coat the powder coat color chosen. Say that ten times fast!

Just clear for me.

3 weeks later
#937 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

And while I'm here also my IJ. In Mike Chestnut brass

How do you like the lit bats?

#947 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Really didn't think that I would like them, but after seeing them and playing with them I really like them, a lot.

I've been thinking about getting a few.

#948 6 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Tried to go against the grain. I like different

Are all your games powdered?

#953 6 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

My main stern row is.
That includes: iron man, Tron, avengers (hulk from factory), batman, spiderman and Metallica

WOW, way cool.

#961 6 years ago

I wonder what black chrome would look like.

#973 6 years ago

I like it. "first go at it" means you shot it yourself?

#975 6 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Not quite, tear down and reassembled.
But I chose the color, not as hard as I thought it would be , actually pretty straight forward.

Need my mod for sure now.

1 week later
#995 6 years ago

I think the blue chrome would look great.

#1005 6 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

Nice stef! Getting ready to do my WW and can't decide on color(s).

How about blue chrome?

#1010 6 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Can't beat chrome for a lot of games. I really like powder on SOME games but it doesn't work on all.
For me personally i haven't seen a game with white that i like. It just seems to in your face as opposed to something that really blends with the game.
Chrome WH20

You got that right, I'm about to find out how all chrome is gonna look on my ST Pro.....well not the coin door anyway.

#1012 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Should look awesome Paul the new films are very clean and clinical looking, loads of white and chromes with lots of lights/leds and lcd screens, chrome should look great on your pro be sure to post pics as soon as you get it back on its legs.

I already have a regular LE apron that has the flasher cut outs that has been chromed, not a ST LE apron so the chromed lolly pop rails and the rest should look good. I have to wait till a friend with a good camera comes over to post some pictures.

#1024 6 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

That should come up very nice Paul. Love to se the pix when it's done. I had STLE and was considering chrome but couldn't bring myself to go over the great job that Stern did with the powdercoating on this game. A bit like Hulk LE it was really top quality or at least mine was. The same can't be said for my MMR. It is only basic powder, even if they cleared over the top to lift it and give it some gloss like GoT would have been better imho. Remember mate pix or it didn't happen.

Yes I wouldn't be able to bring myself to getting rid of the STLE powder too. I'll see what I can do for pictures. Oh it's happening.

#1025 6 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Some more chrome from my old collection a few years back for the chrome connoisseurs fiberdude120

But then you need to play with these on if you have bad OCD like me

Sorry back to powder coating lol

SUPER.

#1028 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Anyone here gone all-in and pulled the hinge pin out to split the hinge before powder coating?

I "think" that's what the pros do then put a piece of silicon tape in each slot to keep the powder from getting in and gumming up the works. Just a guess here.

#1030 6 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

I didn't see the need, but I would guess that it would make getting the hinge back together almost impossible with the powder on every little connecting point of the hinge .

Having the powder all over the hinge and pin would cause the hardened pc to break and chip. With the tape between all the slots the powder can't get in there so no chipping and once the 2 hinge pieces are back together you can't see any coating is missing cuz the 2 pieces are sliding metal on metal.

#1032 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Since you kept the pin in, how does your hinge look post powder coating B?

I haven't had mine done.

#1036 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Well hurry up then Paul we are waiting

It's the lack of $$$ and once I did my ST Pro I KNOW I'd HAVE to have it for my Avatar LE.

#1037 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Sorry for the confusion, that was for B (golfingdad) who just did his GB. I was quoting your text to reference the point of your statement.

OK, I see.

1 week later
#1042 6 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

If there was ever a machine that deserved "Rock Star over Black Ink", this was it. I can tell you it looks 100x better in person. Found a local guy, Mark, at Fresh Start Custom Painting in Palatine to avoid lots shipping. Does great work and nice to deal with.

Looks great on that game. Is the apron done too?

#1044 6 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

No. Stock. Looks ok in black, but keeping my eye out for a nice metallic spray.

How about one of Timebandits red ones then light it up?

2 weeks later
#1063 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Does anyone know where I can get the white armor for ghostbusters premium?

Or go straight to the Refinery.

#1072 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Any know where to find new stern blank lollipop rails?

I get all of mine from PBL. They are the ones that don't have the screw holes in the curved part.

#1079 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

It's not my thing, but some guys like a screw hole in the curved part.

No way am I putting screw holes in my cab art.

#1081 6 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

If your games have prints and rubs all over the coin door you are playing them wrong...

Lots of people like to hump the game when they play.

#1083 6 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

It just shows how much we love our hobby!

A little to much.

#1099 6 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

For those not following my restore thread. My powder coated Flash Gordon.

Niceist one on the planet.

1 week later
#1123 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Got some of the metal back for my Bally Vampire resto, waiting on the chrome pieces.
Illusion cherry with metallic and black speckled undertone. Can't wait to get this thing back together.

Man that's a lot of pieces.

#1126 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I've just finished my Star Wars Pro ... done in blue to match the headbox trim and the lock bar button surround.
rd

Hey I just did my "Star Wars" too....but in all chrome, chrome lolly pop rails and chrome apron also. Woozah.

#1128 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Star Wars with Chris Pine? I haven't Seen that one.

You haven't. It's really good, especially in 4d.

#1129 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Yeah man, hoping to have one of the nicest Vampires out there when I'm done. Rare game...well deserved.

I gotta see it when it's done.

#1132 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Just busting chops. ST Pro looks really good man. I saw one in yellow a few months back, and I have no idea what that person was thinking.

I know me too, just havin some fun. YELLOW??? The guy mush have a VERY strange sense of color.

#1134 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Definitely. I have a resto thread going. Check it out. Starting the cabinet this week. PF getting cleared as we speak.

Following your topic now. Oh is that gonna look GREAT.

#1143 6 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

The machine looks great! If you want your T-molding to match your powdercoating more you can always make blue chrome molding like I did for my Tron:

Its the stock chrome T-molding with transparent blue vinyl installed over it. I just used some scrap pieces I had on hand (which is why you can see seams in it) but it can be bought in thin strip rolls.

Oh I like that, it would look great on my ST Pro.

#1146 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Quick question, where's the best place to get the stern plastic chrome bezel, etc parts from?

You mean the T molding? go to T-molding.com

#1149 6 years ago

I see, now that you cleared that up. The only one I saw that had them were the Pinballrefinery. Contact them.

#1155 6 years ago

Good find. I wonder if those could be laser scanned then cnc milled out of metal so they could be chromed.

#1175 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Hmmm......blue, grey, black, or chrome look?

Those are the stainless rails aren't they? If so Chris said they are a pain to chrome but they could be buffed and polished to look like chrome. You'll have to ask him. Chrome would look great but spendy. Blue chrome would look good too but real spendy.

#1179 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Im not sure? As Rotodave said......google is our friend. Thought i would post the game for visual ideas....

I just did my ST Pro in chrome and WOW! The cab is blue too so the chrome really brightens up the game.

#1181 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Pics, or it didnt happen chump.....

I'll try but you know how chrome photographs.

3 weeks later
#1212 6 years ago

Looks like you could use TimeBandits gold light up apron. He has a 50% off sale going on now.

1 week later
#1263 6 years ago

You should go with gold chrome T molding if it's your game.

1 month later
#1295 6 years ago
Quoted from kimzone:

I finally finished of my getaway machine here is some before and after pictures also Terminator 2 LE also done

Great looking machines. Reall dig the lcd and the lit T 2 in the coin door.

2 months later
#1323 6 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Had an extra set of purple powder coated legs from my Dialed in CE Put them on MET then had rest of trim done to match. It’s a tad different from the candy purple most do

Yeah I like it.

#1326 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Looks great! Is that Mustang Paul's light up kit on the legs?

Yes it is and beatmasters shooter housing light up too. They look great together don't they.

#1335 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

All done and playing 100%.

Beautiful just beautiful.

#1336 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Fish tales in progress, blue with a very subtle silver flake

Looks sharp, I hope you have the Stern metal cab protectors on that newly decal'd cab.

#1342 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

It sure does mustangpaul !

I wish those things wern't so expensive, mass produced they can't be more then 10 cents apiece.

2 weeks later
#1354 6 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

Unable to decide on a color for Whirlwind, I went with basic black. Thanks to pinballer22 for helping with the decals!

That looks sharp.

2 weeks later
#1368 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

My Sopranos BEFORE and AFTER powder coating:

Oh man that red looks great. You know what would look good on those red legs don't you.

#1372 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I'm thinkin' a MustangPaul "Volcano" would look cool in the PinGulp!

That's one.

#1377 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Nice. You should grab gold leg protectors from PBL. I have them on my Frank.

Nah....my leg Light-Ups look better. Amber would look great.

Amber Ironman. (resized).jpgAmber Ironman. (resized).jpg

#1378 6 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

using the T-molding Tuna suggested. I didn't know that was available. Does it just pull out or slide?

Just pulls off.

#1381 6 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Thanks. Those leg lights do look sharp!

Thanks, some have put them on all 4 legs.

1 month later
#1390 6 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

Although it would look amazing, I don’t think I could do chrome. The constant fingerprints would drive me crazy!

oh but the chrome "feels" soooooooo good.

4 months later
#1408 5 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Bought a Strikes N Spares and the side rails and lock bar were tarnished, like they had been wet for a while. Even though it’s not a high end game, I went the powder coat route. I chose black gloss with gold specks, which matches the inside of the game perfectly. Did the rails, lock bar, and the legs. I love it. Wish I had better lighting for pictures.

That looks sharp.

3 months later
#1424 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I just noticed your pic of Tron with dual color powder coat. That exactly like how mine was done...I like it, but to each his own. I can see why some may not. Fun pin to mod! Took me a while to find a nice one that wasn’t crazy price. Tron and LOTR were hard to find. I traded away a gold powder coated LOTR and I regretted it. [quoted image]

My blue and amber Leg Lights would look cool on that.

3 weeks later
#1427 5 years ago

How close to real chrome does pc chrome come in look?

#1433 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

If you remember Paul, I used some on my Vamp. It is definitely more dull than true chrome, almost a little grayish. It is a little shiny though, but not something I would use if you want that true chrome shiny look.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks Colson, looks like I'm gonna have to get real chrome.

1 week later
#1441 5 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Just got my GB pro armor back from powdercoating.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is that Candy red? That's what mine is. When the light hits it just right it REALLY lights up.

IMGA0602 (resized).JPGIMGA0602 (resized).JPG

IMGA0595 (resized).JPGIMGA0595 (resized).JPG
#1451 5 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Did this to my mustang pro. Great pin BTW.
[quoted image]

I have Candy red on my Pro. What's your color? Love my Pro too.

#1455 5 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

That orange peel on that lockbar would drive me insane. Is it not clear coated?

I think that's the way it's supposed to look, a textured look the side rails are the same.

3 months later
#1491 5 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I was thinking maybe a Harley Orange, pick up on some of the red and orange. I have a metallic purple handy. Maybe I'll try that first

How about chrome with a purple tint over it. Spendy though.

#1493 5 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I really don't like chrome. Looks great but the fingerprints/palm prints annoy me to no end..

Chrome WITH a purple pc tint over it.

2 weeks later
#1519 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I did my Vampire in illusion cherry a while back. I had asked because i thought EATPM looked close.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-vampire-restoration-input-suggestions-welcome
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That was great following your build on that game.

#1525 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Definitely Paul. Thanks for hanging and the help/input during the process.
I’m going equally nuts with powder on the Halloween retheme I’m working on. Check that thread. Dropped off just “a few parts” a little while back. Should have them back soon...
[quoted image][quoted image]

Need a link.

1 month later
4 months later
#1556 4 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Pinbot. Going to move the red blue theme out of the GI next. Have a combo x-pin display to put in. Went black silver sparkle with the top and blue red leg combo.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That really looks sharp and I really like my red and blue Leg light combo on it.

#1557 4 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

How about a premium?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

IM looks great too and the blue Leg Lights and blue shooter housing really lights up the front of the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

£ 37.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MustangPaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-powder-coated-machines-here?tu=MustangPaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.