(Topic ID: 155473)

show off your powder coated machines here!

By Stones

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,010 posts
  • 355 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 hours ago by Meegis
  • Topic is favorited by 176 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240415_183519404_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240415_183526698 (resized).jpg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_141807421_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240415_101135 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240415_101138 (resized).jpg
IMG_4896 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4939 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8835 (resized).jpeg
20231022_123949 (resized).jpg
20231022_123932 (resized).jpg
20231022_123920 (resized).jpg
IMG_8053 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8056 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8055 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jarbyjibbo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1014 6 years ago

Quick question, how are you guys coating your coin doors? Are you completely disassembling them? Leaving the door on the hinge and removing everything else? Or just removing things off the back of the door?

Thanks for the help!

#1017 6 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

I removed all coin mechs, coin door and coin door housing .
The coin mechs are really pretty straight forward just take pics.

Gotcha, so you removed the door from the hinge? Is that hard? I've done the complete rest of the door but not the door from the frame.

#1021 6 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Leave the hinge connected to the door but removed from the housing , 4 screws inside left edge of door/housing .

Gotcha! Thanks, I'll take a look when I get home tonight.

#1031 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Having the powder all over the hinge and pin would cause the hardened pc to break and chip. With the tape between all the slots the powder can't get in there so no chipping and once the 2 hinge pieces are back together you can't see any coating is missing cuz the 2 pieces are sliding metal on metal.

Since you kept the pin in, how does your hinge look post powder coating B?

#1034 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I haven't had mine done.

Sorry for the confusion, that was for B (golfingdad) who just did his GB. I was quoting your text to reference the point of your statement.

1 month later
#1053 6 years ago

Any other LOTR ideas out there? I was originally thinking the Grecian Gold vein shown earlier in the thread and also used on TH but the wife stuck her nose up at it. She seems to like the Chestnut polished brass we had on the IJ I previously restored (which there are a few photos of in the thread as well, polished brass LOTR that is).

Looking for any other options out there if anyone has any photos of what they did (PC is so much cheaper lol).

#1074 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Normally I am not a fan of many aftermarket powder coating jobs, but when I had the option to get this with the LOTR I picked up I couldn't resist. It has that old age earthen feel to it which fits the game theme and looks amazing. I believe it was done at Back Alley Creations.

I believe that's Grecian Gold aka the same as TH, no?

I like it, but haven't sold the wife on it

#1098 6 years ago
Quoted from tomtest:

Here are a few of mine

Looking good. What colors are those on LOTR and GB?

#1104 6 years ago
Quoted from tomtest:

LOTR
LOTR is called New Gold Transparent, I can't find the color reference for GB but it's a dark purple with very tiny flakes.

Thank you sir. I assume those are prismatic colors, right?

1 week later
#1145 6 years ago

Quick question, where's the best place to get the stern plastic chrome bezel, etc parts from?

#1148 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You mean the T molding? go to T-molding.com

No, for the coin doors. Stern's coin return bezel, flap, and drop bezel are all plastic so you can't PC or chrome them. I guess a few people have them in chrome plastic coated by the looks of all the Stern doors that are coated, they all have those pieces in a chrome finish.

#1158 6 years ago

Sweet, I need stuff from Terry anyway. I noticed when taking apart my WOZ door for plating that it's got plastic pieces as well. Anyone know 100% if these will fit the JJP door as well. They look identical to the Stern but figured someone might have plated their WOZ door and know for sure.

#1160 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Sweet, I need stuff from Terry anyway. I noticed when taking apart my WOZ door for plating that it's got plastic pieces as well. Anyone know 100% if these will fit the JJP door as well. They look identical to the Stern but figured someone might have plated their WOZ door and know for sure.

Just confirmed the Stern (GB) and JJP (WOZ) doors are the same as far as the bezel parts go in case anyone was interested.

3 weeks later
#1202 6 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I finally figured out how to replicate a brass plate look

And then...........?

#1210 6 years ago

Works great, really really big pain. You will prolly need good gun. I'm using a kool koat 2.0 dpw

How would I inquire about my pc being able to do this? Is it a specific process/technique, color, clear coat etc?

How close to brass does it look in person?

Thanks!

#1222 6 years ago

I've looked through the entire thread and see no WH20 with PC. Anyone have any pics or suggestions?

White comes to mind, I think I remember seeing a WW in white that looked pretty sharp. I would think that blue wouldn't end up looking right. If you nail the color exactly, then everything just disappears. If you don't, it just clashes.

#1229 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

for the whole set, or each piece? That seems like a steal

I just paid $140 for 14 pieces to get coated in gloss black for my AFM.

#1230 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

once saw a WH2O with yellow powdercoat. I think chrome is the best way to go for this machine.

I don't disagree necisairly. Although there is a pretty dramatic difference price wise especially if you start doing everything (coin door, etc). I can PC the entire thing for basically the price of just chrome side rails.

#1234 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Gotcha - luckily I'm dealing just with WPC games right now. Until I finally get a Tron

My Stern parts (14 pcs) cost me $200 but that is for illusion colors which is multiple stage PC.

Still much much cheaper then any type of playing out there although shiny can definitely look sweet on some games. I just wish it wasn't so pricey.

#1237 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Where's the pics?! Which Sterns did you do?

I have yet to pick them up but I'm a big copycat on colors. I didn't want to do anything I hadn't seen before.

I'm doing GB, LOTR, AFM, & WOZ.

#1245 6 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Dude , Chrome !!!!

Dude , Price !!!! LoL

I like my doors done to match also which almost doubles the price..... and I've only owned it a few days so I don't know quite yet if I like it that $$$ yet.

#1246 6 years ago
Quoted from TheBigDog:

Ended up a bit different than I was thinking, but I like it.

Not too shabby, what about taking the apron in and trying to match it? Is that how you did it? I'd still love to see an all white WH20.

#1249 6 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4453

Can't really chrome plate plastic. Some places can vacuum metalize with varying results sometimes.

#1251 6 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

I saw some pics of an all white powder coated WH2O. I'll see if i can find them.

Thanks!

Holy cow, there's ten pages of white colors on the prismatic site..... talk about choice overload. I'm not even sure where to start for a color selection. Any PC pros have a white suggestion by chance?

#1255 6 years ago

Nice, I'm sold especially for as much cheaper as it is over chrome. Now I just need to figure out which of the 10 pages worth of white to choose.

1 year later
#1446 5 years ago
Quoted from JHPSWE:

Do anyone know if it worth to do the metal part on playfield?
Picture from HEP (Chris?)[quoted image]

Worth is relative... do you mean will it hold up to abuse or is it worth the price to get it done? Chris also answered it in the same thread the photo was from; In a home environment with proper maintenance, yes it should. I have a few guides and wireforms powder coated on my pins and they seem to be doing just fine.

4 months later
#1517 4 years ago

Look at illusion cherry. Be close and richer

I did illusion cherry on my INMDN pro and love it. The wife liked the color so much she had me do her 3 tier pie rack with it too.

8 months later
#1580 4 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

CCC in silver vein. Works good with old west theme[quoted image]

Love the vein. My LOTR is done in Grecian Gold Vein.

2 months later
#1594 4 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Family Guy in metallic orange. Someone wanted first game when I got it all put on...[quoted image]

Three things:

1: That looks nice. I think I like that better than the yellow I've seen on FG before.
2: Ohh the horror of such a young impressionable mind playing FG (JK love the show, people are too sensitive)
3: Your pins need more remote controls

1 year later
#1625 3 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

This has been difficult - each time I have brought my parts to the painter, the paint starts to chip off from the hinge of the coin door or where the inner coin door meets the outer part of the coin door. Is is just question to paint those parts more thin or what would one have to do so that it would not happen?
Some pics for reference from my GB. [Sorry for derailing the topic a bit...]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think there is an art to it. I have two stage colors on all my games and non of them have chipped at the hinges. I think that it's a combination of the skillset leveraged in the application, watching how thick you put it on, and maybe even try swinging the hinges open/shut between applications when the coating is thin might help to reduce/eliminate the cracking. I was worried of this at first when I did my first few games but 10 or so games later, so far so good.

#1627 3 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

Yes if you do it yourself or bring it in to someone that does pinball parts. But I'm sure a lot of people are just bring these in to get done at local shop.

As do I, they're just really good at it I guess. As with anything, there's an art to it that you just get better at with time, experience, and attention to detail. Pinball parts are definitely an extreme rarity at my coater.

3 months later
#1662 2 years ago
Quoted from cconway84:

Medieval madness in a darker blue with metallic flake. Attack from Mars in a more subtle green than the LE green. More like granny apple green with flake. Metallica pro in purple with metal flake.
About to do my Twilight zone in rainbows end black with rainbow flake effect.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That'll be interesting to see photos of!

2 weeks later
#1682 2 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

For those using lollipop rails, are you just grabbing ones from Pinball Life that don't require adding extra screws to the cabinet?

Yes

3 weeks later
#1692 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Where did you get the multicolor trim for the side on the head? Great collection and color matching. Thanks.

I'm sure he got it where everyone else does: https://www.t-molding.com/

#1704 2 years ago

I have the illusion cherry on my INMDN Pro and it looks sharp there as well.

2 weeks later
#1706 2 years ago

Looks sharp. I'm a big fan of illusion cherry, I did my INMDN in it... and my wife's pie plate holder

#1709 2 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I just powder coated my EHOH in Illusion Cherry from Prismatic Colors. I love the deep, rich color vs. factory flat black it was.
What I'm not sure of is; weather the display / speaker panel is too much red and is overpowering. I may go back to black on it.
I included a picture of the Collector's Edition that has redish / orange powder coating with the speaker panel in black for reference
What are your thoughts?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I've never done speaker panels on my PC jobs but I don't think it looks bad by any means. My OCD thing is that I always have to do the coin doors though. I can't have all this sharp looking powder coating on my pin and a huge plain black door right in the middle of the front of the pin. I may start to dabble in the speaker panels now that you have made me think about it though. I'd like to do my new JP Prem soon and I'm just trying to figure out a color. I'd really like to have the custom caution airbrush set from over seas but not interested in paying $1200-$1500 for it so I'll stick with my $200-$300 PC jobs.

#1715 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I’m exactly the opposite. 99% of the time a powdercoated coin door looks garish to me.
The black makes it “disappear” … when you see say a bright yellow one on TSPP it says LOOK AT ME I’M A COIN DOOR IM VERY BIG AND BERY UGLY AND VERY YELLOW lol
But each to their own.
rd

LoL I can definitely see that. To me I just can't handle they don't match. But again, that's just my own OCD.

1 month later
#1726 2 years ago

I want to both thank everyone who posts the manufacturer and exact color they used as well as encourage everyone else who posts to do so. It's really helpful when you see something you like to already know those details to go get yours done.

2 weeks later
#1734 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Do any of you guys have an idea which Prismatic color matches STLE?

Did you look at the Star Trek thread? There's got to be at least one person who PC'd the door I would think.

6 months later
#1769 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What is the color name on GOT?

Same question for JP? It would definitely be helpful if people would add that detail when they post.

#1774 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Stern Jurassic Park Premium with Prismatic Lockness
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for posting. My JP prem is my only pin not PC’d (including the 2 pins I’m waiting to ship to me) and I’m still undecided. Was thinking something orangish based on the cab art (and the fact that I’ve never done that color before) but am also very interested in the vein type prismatic green, rust, or brown colors.

#1778 1 year ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Prismatic Iced Mint
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like the green and brown mix, nicely done.

3 weeks later
#1800 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

Here's an alternate green color I borrowed from adam12hicks.
It has a green reptile skin effect that I think would work even better on Godzilla.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

See I think a vein color like this would be nice for my JP prem but in a brown/copper color. I really like the Grecian Gold vein I have on my LOTR. Without getting into the feather debate, I just feel like the brown skin more accurately looks like a dinosaur to me. I just haven't found the color on the Prismatic site that hits the mark exactly.

2 weeks later
#1809 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thoughts on this for Godzilla Premium? Thanks.
[quoted image]

Don't own GZ but I'm a huge fan of all the vein colors. Trying to figure out a brown/copper color to do my JP prem in. I have the grecian gold vein on my LOTR.

#1816 1 year ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

I posted something a couple pages back that I did on my JP…copper and mint

Yea I saw that on the pro, I'm just not sure how that green would look on the prem. I'm thinking of something more copper/orangish brown to compliment the cab colors a little more. Sorting by your posts, you have quite a bit of the vein color there in your lineup. They all look sharp. Did you clear all of yours with a top coat. The first time my coater did a vein for me we didn't do the "optional" (per the Prismatic site) clear top coat and the vein accent color started coming off where my hands would rest on the side rails and LDB.

4 months later
#1844 1 year ago

What a beauty, nicely done!

2 weeks later
#1872 1 year ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

I'm liking the Illusion Cherry! Is this similar to the LE powder coat? That was the look I was going for. Would be great if you could post some pics.
Cheers!
Adam.

Sure looks close although I've never seen one in person:

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/IM-LE-1304x2048.webp

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PMB-6905/illusion-cherry

The best thing about the illusion cherry (and almost all of the illusion colors) is that it's not just a solid red but it's not quite as obvious as a sparkle. It's got a more subtle metallic shimmer when you look closely at it. I have done Illusion Royal, Ultra Illusion Green, Illusion Cherry, and I'm about to do my JP Prem in Illusion Orange Cherry. The only pin I'm doing in a color that's not an illusion was Grecian Gold Vein on my LOTR and I'm going candy purple on my Met because the Illusion in the purple is just a solid purple and I want an effect on it. I'd like to find an excuse to try out the fractured illusion line but it hasn't happened yet because they only have it in 6 colors. They do have it in the cherry though.

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PVB-10293/fractured-illusion-cherry

#1880 1 year ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Here is my EHOH done in Illusion Cherry (Prismatic Colors). It's a deep red with slight sparkle.

I saw this game in another thread and was wondering what color it was. Thanks for posting it.

1 week later
#1901 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Any tips on removing these screws on stern coin door? Tried everything I had in the house but there is not much clearance for a socket to go in there.
[quoted image]

You can use small needle nose pliers to loosen them a turn or two and that should give you room for your socket/nut driver to fit. Sometimes you just have to press down harder and the wall of the socket will slip over the edge. The worst part is when the screws are over driven and they are embedded into the plastic on the actual mechs. They are always in hard to reach areas making it even more of a challenge.

#1904 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Thank you all for the suggestion on removing the nut I will try later. This is my first time taking it to a powder coat place and been reading that the parts get heated. I believe the shooter housing on my stern is plastic? Will powder coating be a problem with the housing? It’s from a new stern prem. Thanks again
[quoted image]

The shooter housing is definitely not plastic. A good PC place will press out that center bushing, blast the finish off, PC it, and press fit the bushing back in place. That's what mine does and it comes out great every time.

#1917 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Got bond today , I thought those lines were red in the pics , turns out they are orange & so is the T molding..so looks like it will be power coated orange..[quoted image][quoted image]

You could go somewhere in the middle. I'm having my JP premium done right now in this: https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PMB-5509/illusion-orange-cherry?gclid=CjwKCAiA68ebBhB-EiwALVC-NsxTv-RD5wuhTAKRseAL9QEEB9oAC2CX3mBBGJLOmHl2r-BSa5jtahoCPKoQAvD_BwE

1 week later
#1920 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Well this is annoying, anyone else notice! I didn't notice when I had Godzilla done because I have an extra set of metals, then just swap them out when done. Was taking parts off for bond to be done.The new shooter housings have a stern logo, it's a sticker...no big deal take it off..but wait..they all have two holes in them now! That is gonna look like garbage powder coated! I'm going to take one off of one of my older sterns I never had powder coated.

Maybe they are leftovers from JP that they are burning through by adding the sticker?

#1922 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Why would the Jurasic park ones have holes?

For the lit amber shooter rod.

#1929 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

On another note, got my stranger things done in illusion purple with blue fleck, happy with the results
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very fitting, it compliments the game nicely. The additional sparkle add is nice since illusion purple is pretty plain without it.

4 weeks later
#1935 1 year ago

I used to have illusion purple on my Metallica but wasn't satisfied with it plus it was an old original coat and scratched up a bit. Decided to go a little different purple than I have seen before. Allow me to introduce "Disco Purple":

20221224_220844 (resized).jpg20221224_220844 (resized).jpg20221224_210327 (resized).jpg20221224_210327 (resized).jpg20221224_220852 (resized).jpg20221224_220852 (resized).jpg20221224_220902 (resized).jpg20221224_220902 (resized).jpg
#1940 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Ahh, i see that now! tough to see on the pic. Or i just didn't look properly! Nice color

Yep here you go. The flipper buttons are actually purple but got washed out in the photo.

20230115_100909 (resized).jpg20230115_100909 (resized).jpg
#1944 1 year ago
Quoted from darkryder:

What do you all polish your powdercoated parts with to restore shine and/or remove small defects? The original powdered side rails on my JP, GNR and Wonka have scuffed or dull areas where the backbox rubbed on the rails during transport and I'd like to polish and correct those areas, if possible. I'm curious if there's a product or method that would accomplish this without stripping and recoating the parts. Would something like Eastwood Powdercoating & Paint Polish do the trick or is that a waste of time? I have a high-quality orbital buffer and pads I use to polish paint on my cars, if that's the recommended approach?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Never done it myself but my PC guy says the clear is pretty thick and will buff out similar to a car clear coat.

7 months later
#1982 7 months ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

My fear was that it would break the welds, was just checking first. But yeah I'm taking it to a pro in my region. I just wanted to be sure in case he ask questions, we don't have pinball specific powder coater over here. Anyway thanks for the help.

I've done tons of wire forms with no issues.

#1985 7 months ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

One last question for you guys. I took my parts to a local powder coater and he was asking me about clear. Do you guys usually put a clear coat after powder coating the armor/legs,etc? Even on the wireforms?

It depends on what you're doing and your preference. If you do something with a flake, I would recommend it (like a disco purple). If you do an illusion color, it's a 2 part and doesn't need an additional clear. I generally use a vision clear when I want an extra clear coat on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

£ 38.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Black Mountain, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jarbyjibbo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-powder-coated-machines-here?tu=Jarbyjibbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.