(Topic ID: 155473)

show off your powder coated machines here!

By Stones

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,010 posts
  • 355 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Meegis
  • Topic is favorited by 176 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240415_183519404_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240415_183526698 (resized).jpg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_141807421_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240415_101135 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240415_101138 (resized).jpg
IMG_4896 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4939 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8835 (resized).jpeg
20231022_123949 (resized).jpg
20231022_123932 (resized).jpg
20231022_123920 (resized).jpg
IMG_8053 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8056 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8055 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bryan_Kelly.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

So I just got back from TPF and I was blown away by some of the machines that have been powder coated and hoping other pinsiders would share (show off) machines they have powder coated. I see some pics in random threads, but not a dedicated thread (apologize if there is a thread). Not everyone is a fan of DH, but I love this machine! Thoughts on what I should make the color scheme for powder coating?

20160321_164045_(resized).jpg20160321_164126_(resized).jpg

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

1 week later
#260 8 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

Okay, third attempt... anyone wish to share contact info on who they used for the powdercoating?
There's a local shop (that's done a lot of wheel work) that agreed to do some parts for me at a reasonable price, but based on what I've seen on this thread, perhaps it's best to find someone who knows the specific nuances of doing pinball parts (like how to properly do the coin door so the hinges work and to not overdue the thickness). If no one is willing to share their source, I'd appreciate any special instructions I should supply to my local guy who's never done a coin door or other pinball parts before.

Matt at Back Alley Creations does great work. I've had him do a few games for customers of mine.

#272 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

To bad most of you guys have to ship your parts. I use Twin City Powder Coaters, only 10 miles away so round trip for gas is only $3. I had a small booger in my BF lock down bar and another one in a side rail. I inspected everything before I left the shop and they redid both pieces N/C.

I'll just say this. I've never had a desire to search out local companies. I'd run around knocking on doors, giving them samples only to find out their work isn't the best or they have no interest in doing it. Lots of wasted time. And when my guys have roughly $12,000 invested in a game I'm doing, the powder better be perfect.

I've also looked at a number of the pics here and some of it is really nice, while some of it is not. No offense to anyone, but some of you don't know what nice powder coating should look like. If you've found someone local that does nice enough work for you, that's cool. I've seen Matt's work and it doesn't get much better. I'm more than happy to pay the shipping knowing what kind of work he does.

1 month later
#367 7 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

I had Matt at Back Alley Creations do my armor/wireforms on Monopoly and TFTC both turned out very nice!

Matt does beautiful work.

2 months later
#578 7 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

Question:
Does powder-coating metal make a game less in value, or add to?

Personally, I think it all depends on the job done. I've seen some here I'd pay you less because I'd want to remove it all. Then again, there are some here that have been very nicely done and I wouldn't mind paying extra.

Just remember, though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

10 months later
#1000 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Digging around in the Funhouse owners thread today....came across this......Not sure Yellow was the best choice. With all that blue...I would have done chrome

This is a prime example of, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

7 months later
#1341 6 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Are there any tips or better yet videos on this ???

Pretty simple. Leave the protector in place and use it as a guide. Cut the decal with your razor blade of choice running the blade along the edge of the protector. Remove the protector and remove the cut part of decal. Reinstall the protector.

#1345 6 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Thanks for posting that Bryan. What is the reason for doing this? Guessing it helps prevent wrinkling?

Wrinkling doesn't always happen if you don't cut out the decal, but it can.

Picture the metal protector bent at about 85 degrees instead of 90. You install the protector. Now you install the leg and as you tighten the bolts, the protector flattens out to 90 degrees. As it does this, it's also grabbing and moving the decal away from the corner.

On newer Stern games, I believe they just cut out the whole corner area where the leg goes. They take no chances.

2 months later
#1384 6 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I just scrolled through 28 pages and not one BDK. Has anyone powder coated a Batman?

I did one in chrome years ago. I’d take a pic but I sold it.

9 months later
#1454 5 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

That orange peel on that lockbar would drive me insane. Is it not clear coated?

Clear won't hide orange peel.

2 years later
#1684 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

For those replacing the metal plates on the Stern lockdown bars, I see a few pictures where people have used screws instead of the original rivets. Any reason why? I was planning on doing my AC/DC Pro but wasn't sure how the FIRE metal plate would look when replaced on the lockdown bar. Thanks for the help.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Pinball Life sells these rivets, which I think will give it the same original look
https://www.pinballlife.com/semi-tubular-rivet.html

I would think screws are used by those who don't have rivets or the tools to install them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 75.00
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bryan_Kelly.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-powder-coated-machines-here?tu=Bryan_Kelly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.