(Topic ID: 155473)

show off your powder coated machines here!

By stones

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,576 posts
  • 266 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Ricochet
  • Topic is favorited by 123 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,098 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

RFM3 (resized).jpg
RFM2 (resized).jpg
RFM1 (resized).jpg
C160AC92-26E6-49A5-B41C-54669B367A9A (resized).jpeg
A485F6B9-BA30-4DB2-AEBD-F5339C46D506 (resized).jpeg
040CA281-F6CA-4D74-9CA7-22597D668015 (resized).jpeg
E27011A1-7822-4453-BE6A-85DFCFF10189 (resized).jpeg
5FA3D109-FFE3-43E5-B217-F9DB26FAD8ED (resized).jpeg
31B93B0C-4E78-46F5-9B97-D249356F4954 (resized).jpeg
2A4D6A5A-05F0-4DC2-B757-FACB6C530AD3 (resized).jpeg
562F3C06-CF97-4B08-9033-99B49E1FBF6A (resized).jpeg
7D1981E4-45B2-4815-BE73-186E63DC3BC4 (resized).jpeg
C23AE6B5-09D9-47A8-9200-FB2DC1D79D4E (resized).jpeg
AE916F93-A208-4C29-BC0A-D2ED1B6CC0B8 (resized).jpeg
36999114-67C7-4360-A976-F4809CD2D9F3 (resized).jpeg
B74A6EC4-0E6A-4E6A-85DE-8D721D3EAF3B (resized).jpeg

There are 1576 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 32.
#201 3 years ago

I'm thinking about getting the wireforms on my BOP powder coated, has anyone noticed any difference in the roll speed of balls and how does the powder coating hold up on such a "well traveled" area?

#202 3 years ago

Some of these games look awesome! Looking for ideas to powder coat my TAF. All I can find on Pinside is one that went all blue as used on the cabinet lightning bolts, but I think I'd prefer to match the purple from the rose, apron and logo.

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Some of these games look awesome! Looking for ideas to powder coat my TAF. All I can find on Pinside is one that went all blue as used on the cabinet lightning bolts, but I think I'd prefer to match the purple from the rose, apron and logo.

I went with black as it fits the them. I even had the wireforms and flippers painted black. The wireforms where not powdercoated, just regular auto paint with clear and they seemed to hold ok in home use. I do not own the TAF anymore, but it was nice to have it tuned up

TAF1_(resized).jpg

TAF2_(resized).jpg

#204 3 years ago

My TAFG restore...brass mixed with powder on apron, coindoor and Playfield parts...I like to mix plating and powder on my games

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#205 3 years ago

My mb restore...

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#206 3 years ago

Almost done with it..

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#207 3 years ago

Custom Playfield with UV and metallic paint..

image_(resized).jpg

#208 3 years ago

Workin on cv now..love this powder color..

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#209 3 years ago

That's one sexy MB. Love the laser cut apron with el paper.

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Almost done with it..

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

Must be hard to catch the ball with all these lighting, heh?

#211 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#212 3 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

TAVLE with red accents coming soon.

I plan on getting my RZ coated dark orange. And my Tron Vault bright orange if it happens- (and doesn't come with good armor)

#213 3 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I was thinking of using this for my TAF or TZ:

Magnum_Blue_Sparkle_(resized).jpg

It's called Magnum Blue Sparkle. It's a black (Ink Black) base coat with a heavy blue metallic sparkle topcoat.

#214 3 years ago

ulmpharmd you really do the bare minimum don't you

#215 3 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

My mb restore...

Holy crap....that is awesome!

#216 3 years ago

It's a disease I tell ya...seems like I try and push it further each restore. After CV I'm going to do powder and plating on my Mm and Bbb...can't wait. I really enjoy getting in powder samples and seeing what colors to put together and I really think when you use chrome and brass to accent with..it really gives the games an extremely classy touch!

#217 3 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

That wolverine looks great!

#218 3 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

It's a disease I tell ya...seems like I try and push it further each restore. After CV I'm going to do my Mm and Bbb...can't wait. I really enjoy getting in powder samples and seeing what colors to put together and I really think when you use chrome and brass to accent with..it really gives the games an extremely classy touch!

do you do the powder coating yourself?

#219 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Must be hard to catch the ball with all these lighting, heh?

I havnt put invisiglass on it yet, but it's really hard to capture w/o glare in pics...not hard at all to see when playing compared to any other game, but the camera seems to blur all the lighting effects..

#220 3 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Workin on cv now..love this powder color..

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

Your machines are beautiful Aaron! I love all the powder coated brackets on the bottom of you CV, it looks amazing. Nicest CV I have ever seen.

#221 3 years ago

Thanks brother...I really enjoy the cosmetic aspects of restoration...it's as much fun as playing to me

#222 3 years ago

Couldn't even leave my eclewoz alone as good as it was from factory

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#223 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpg

#224 3 years ago

Wow your WOZ is awesome too! Very nice work

#225 3 years ago

Nice touch on WOZ

#226 3 years ago

Thx..it really does make the game even look more polished

#227 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Do you use a dual component clear?

Yes it is a 2 part clear, same thing I use on PFs.
I have taken my games to alot of shows, and yes they get a few nicks. I'm sure alot of it is from loading and unloading and people with rings and such...but this is automotive paint and clear, so it is made to withstand some wear and tear (otherwise we would be getting our cars repainted every year). I'm sure if I had never taken them to shows they wouldn't have any nicks...but then I also have an AC/DC that has factory powder coat on it that has never been to any shows, and it also has nicks. So to say that powder coating is better is not necessarily true. The main factor for me was 1. I already have the equipment and am familiar with how to do it. 2. I liked the larger selection of colors I could get with automotive paint, and the ability to combine colors and do details. 3. I already use the Dupont auto clear and had it available. I looked into having things powder coated, and it was expensive, and I prefer to do things to my games myself so it wasn't really practical for me. I think some of these games look great, but for me it just really isn't a viable option.

Phoebe

#228 3 years ago

Some amazing looking pins in this thread

Just wanted to ask you guys who have done your ramps what method holds up best for metal ramps, plating or powdercoating? My Goldeneye ramps need restoring and I was going to get them replated but looks like a lot of people in here have powdercoated their ramps, just wanted opinions from people who have had experience. Thanks

#229 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I'm thinking about getting the wireforms on my BOP powder coated, has anyone noticed any difference in the roll speed of balls and how does the powder coating hold up on such a "well traveled" area?

Bumping this question for the later crowd.

#230 3 years ago

I have about 5 of my games' wireforms powder coated and have not had one single issue with speed or chipping yet. The only time I have had an issue is with a ball sticking in a wireform because of the thickness of the added powder, and just a small bit of stretching of the open top wireform fixed that. As far as ramps go, I have done both powder and plating with success, but with using powder on these high traffic/ impact pieces, I believe it is smart to wrap the powdered ramp or flat metal pieces with some type of protection. I actually don't like mylar myself because it is hazy and hard, so I use a clear bra wrap (3m, ventureshield, ect) that is used on cars for protection from chips. I have done clear bra full front wraps on my sports cars in the past and just thought of trying it because it is much softer and more stretchable as well as very transparent. So far I have had great success with doing this...I have even done it on brass plated ramps and such to prevent the ball tracks on them..

#231 3 years ago

Have a long way to go with my drac, but have put some of the pieces on to get a feel for the combo of high gloss back and hammered blood red...still am going to restore it and fully mod it later..the red is darker than the pics show

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#232 3 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

I have about 5 of my games' wireforms powder coated and have not had one single issue with speed or chipping yet. The only time I have had an issue is with a ball sticking in a wireform because of the thickness of the added powder, and just a small bit of stretching of the open top wireform fixed that. As far as ramps go, I have done both powder and plating with success, but with using powder on these high traffic/ impact pieces, I believe it is smart to wrap the powdered ramp or flat metal pieces with some type of protection. I actually don't like mylar myself because it is hazy and hard, so I use a clear bra wrap (3m, ventureshield, ect) that is used on cars for protection from chips. I have done clear bra full front wraps on my sports cars in the past and just thought of trying it because it is much softer and more stretchable as well as very transparent. So far I have had great success with doing this...I have even done it on brass plated ramps and such to prevent the ball tracks on them..

Wow .... your pins are some of the best ive ever seen. Thats the kind of restoration id love to do but I dont have the room

#233 3 years ago

Thanks...I have a few friends that do work like this as well. We bounce ideas off of each other all the time. Like I said, this is why this hobby has grabbed me so bad, it fits both the electronics and creative interest sides of me. I really enjoy it

#234 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Some amazing looking pins in this thread
Just wanted to ask you guys who have done your ramps what method holds up best for metal ramps, plating or powdercoating? My Goldeneye ramps need restoring and I was going to get them replated but looks like a lot of people in here have powdercoated their ramps, just wanted opinions from people who have had experience. Thanks

Just to be clear. You can powder coat wireforms... do NOT powder coat ramps. You will get ball trails and huge problems after some gameplay. There is a reason why no vendors do it.

#235 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Just to be clear. You can powder coat wireforms... do NOT powder coat ramps. You will get ball trails and huge problems after some gameplay. There is a reason why no vendors do it.

If so, then why did the company that you work for, JJP, take away the powdercoat on the wireforms for hobbit?

Myself, I have powdered wireforms and they turned out great and held up just fine. But your boss says otherwise

#236 3 years ago

Very interesting ^

#237 3 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Thanks mate, appreciate the feedback, i'm SOLD on the idea now

#238 3 years ago

Alex I completely agree that a ramp (not wire form) unprotected with powder on it will have issues, and I'm not advocating that anyone do this, but wrapping the part in a Mylar like product seems to prevent issues with ball trails and chipping. But everyone does need to understand these parts take direct shots and they will likely or can have issues if left raw...Good addition Alex!

#239 3 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

That wolverine looks great!

thanks man so do yours, I'm very much enjoy optimizing the appearance and play-feel of my games for weeks - and then playing the %{%]*|€>{ out of them when they are "done". I have trouble really trying on my games when they are "incomplete"! ...disease

#240 3 years ago

Just got this back together today.
12931250_10154079373904931_2467489516892367691_n_(resized).jpg

#241 3 years ago
Quoted from vidgameseller:

If so, then why did the company that you work for, JJP, take away the powdercoat on the wireforms for hobbit?
Myself, I have powdered wireforms and they turned out great and held up just fine. But your boss says otherwise

Because you can't use an artery/vein/texture on a wire form? Common sense.

It is also apparent you can't read. I said doing wireforms is fine. RAMPS you can't/shouldn't do. You do know the difference right?

#242 3 years ago
Quoted from vidgameseller:

If I were to guess....cost.

#243 3 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

If I were to guess....cost.

And your guess would be....wrong. That has zero to do with it.

You can't use a texture on a wireform. Mixing color schemes didn't work properly. Chrome was the best option aesthetically given the textured armor.

#244 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Because you can't use an artery on a wire form? Common sense.
It is also apparent you can't read. I said doing wireforms is fine. RAMPS you can't/shouldn't do. You do know the difference right?

WOW, once again, you just insert your foot in your mouth with your idiotic remarks,

1. powder coat is not common sense to a majority of the world. You do realize that what you do is a specialty that most people could care less about.

2. I never said anything about ramps, can you read?

3. If I recall correctly, Jack said that the powdercoat slowed the ball down or something like that. Not willing to go search through hundreds of things that Jack said as its just uesless. But i dont think that he ever said it was because of an "artery" I might be wrong. But then a solid color would have looked better than stainless on the machine.

Sorry, but your post are about as useless as anything for me, By the way, how is that Ruby Red shooter housing project going on. You know, for the people that were shown a red powdercoated housing. Then you were involved with a group wanting to have you do some, a list of over 35 people saying that they wanted to get them from you, yet it has never materialized. Why did that not make it to production, My quess its one of two things. The powdercoater couldnt produce, or it was cost cutting. Just like on the hobbit. Say what you want, you double talk anyway

Just waiting on your response, Im sure your gonna blame someone or something, as always

#245 3 years ago

Okay, third attempt... anyone wish to share contact info on who they used for the powdercoating?

There's a local shop (that's done a lot of wheel work) that agreed to do some parts for me at a reasonable price, but based on what I've seen on this thread, perhaps it's best to find someone who knows the specific nuances of doing pinball parts (like how to properly do the coin door so the hinges work and to not overdue the thickness). If no one is willing to share their source, I'd appreciate any special instructions I should supply to my local guy who's never done a coin door or other pinball parts before.

#246 3 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

Okay, third attempt... anyone wish to share contact info on who they used for the powdercoating?
There's a local shop (that's done a lot of wheel work) that agreed to do some parts for me at a reasonable price, but based on what I've seen on this thread, perhaps it's best to find someone who knows the specific nuances of doing pinball parts (like how to properly do the coin door so the hinges work and to not overdue the thickness). If no one is willing to share their source, I'd appreciate any special instructions I should supply to my local guy who's never done a coin door or other pinball parts before.

I send my stuff to Steve pinballrefinery.com
There are closer and cheaper options but I stick with what works.

#247 3 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

I thought that it was mentioned before, but send it to Matt at Backalleycreations.com

#248 3 years ago

Vidgame you are absolutely ridiculous as always. Shall I paste the previous threads that shows your axe to grind and why no one should take what you say seriously?

You have obviously seen the game. You know the powder has a texture. You can't put a texture in the path of a rolling ball and expect it to move fluidly. That's common sense to ANYONE powder coating savvy or not. Everyone who has ever driven has gone over a speed bump with its sole purpose being SLOWING down what hits it. Textured powder is all speed bumps. Again COMMON SENSE. And I already said that mixing colors did not look good. Aesthetically chrome looks better than mis matched powders. Plain and simple.

#249 3 years ago

Now I'll get my popcorn!

#250 3 years ago

Here's mine.

IMG_1768_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
There are 1576 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 32.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside