(Topic ID: 155473)

show off your powder coated machines here!

By Stones

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,014 posts
  • 356 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 176 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Machine_04 (resized).jpg
Machine_03 (resized).jpg
Machine_02 (resized).jpg
Machine_01 (resized).jpg
63246580663__8BCB4A61-E7EB-4F2F-B4CF-33F968B6C07B (resized).jpeg
IMG_5950 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5980 (resized).jpeg
63246610992__ED7DA80C-682D-46BE-8FB0-F5F782F8179B (resized).jpeg
IMG_5987 (resized).jpeg
63252200281__F78200A3-61D5-45C2-95E0-3AC815CFA7AE (resized).jpeg
IMG_6006 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6007 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240415_183519404_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240415_183526698 (resized).jpg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_141807421_HDR (resized).jpg
There are 2,014 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 41.
#151 8 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

This is painted and cleared. Had to scan my pinball refinery metal apron to try to get a paint code so we could match it. Like most have said pictures really doesn't do it justice. Looks awesome in the light.
2016-02-05_10.17.34_(resized).jpg
2016-02-06_11.09.17_(resized).jpg
2016-02-06_11.09.01_(resized).jpg

Hey Jokerpoker I like what you did with the wall next to ironman. very original instead of just a topper.

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Man...you have been here long enough and now better then to post this kind of statement. We're here to HELP each other enjoy the hobby not talk shit about others work. If you don't like something just don't say anything.

If the guy paid for it he should get his money back. Some folks don't know how it should look and think that's "a good job". It's not. It's really bad. Sorry for trying to educate people on what to expect from a proper professional job.

#153 8 years ago

2nd try. Anyone willing to share contact info for powder coating work? About to embark on an afm restoration.

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Clueless - as in the amount of work in STMU... not in Powdercoating.
IE in RE: to "best pinball in texas? You guys have low standards"
Sorry; but any professional that proceeds to rip into the homebrew crowd because they feel like they are elite; is clueless... and well; someone that won't be getting my business.

The ONLY thing I was talking about was the powder. You at no point in your original thread said YOU did the powder. Most won't even come close to attempting it so the thought that you paid for that quality of a job is something I thought you needed to be reimbursed for because it does not look like it was done properly.

Since you did it yourself I'll retract that statement but you need supplemental charge to get the adherence required to stop the orange peel. Also drop your psi down to 22-24 on application because it's wavy likely due to inconsistent spray pressure.

#155 8 years ago

PBR candy purple

20151222_213912_(resized).jpg20151222_213912_(resized).jpg

20150423_171841_(resized).jpg20150423_171841_(resized).jpg

#156 8 years ago

Guys, I have a newbie question. If I want to have my original Stern Armor (balck) powder coated to a different color, should it be sand blasted first ?

#157 8 years ago
Quoted from marcd:

Guys, I have a newbie question. If I want to have my original Stern Armor (balck) powder coated to a different color, should it be sand blasted first ?

The person you send it to will blast and hopefully dip your parts so that the powder adheres properly.

#158 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#159 8 years ago

For those of you with powder coated coin doors. If you still wanted headphone kits in your powdercoated door, gold, or chrome door, we can build them at no extra charge. You just have to mail me your removable dba plate from the door and we custom punch them. Lots of pinball refinery games have our kits that we custom punch as well as those who know we offer the service.
Thanks,
Lorenzo
Pinnovators.com

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

Yes the yellow does look good on family guy ....maybe ill try a 2 tone with yellow on mine

I have heard of people painting and clear coating it....not sure how well this holds up but would like to hear if anyone has done it.

I don't have any of my games powder coated. I have done all mine with automotive paint and clear. I have had them all to several shows and they hold up just fine.

Phoebe

P1010024_(resized).JPGP1010024_(resized).JPG
P1010012_(resized).JPGP1010012_(resized).JPG
P7230035_(resized).JPGP7230035_(resized).JPG
P7230002_(resized).JPGP7230002_(resized).JPG
P9150038_(resized).JPGP9150038_(resized).JPG
P9150036_(resized).JPGP9150036_(resized).JPG
P9150043_(resized).JPGP9150043_(resized).JPG

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#161 8 years ago

I have a question for those who do their own powder coating. Where do you buy your powder and is there a difference in brands?
Is there someone who sells high quality in small quantities? I've never had trouble with what I'm buying but I'm new at this so what do I know?
I usually buy 1/2 or 1lb bags of powder. Lately from powderbythepound. A 1lb bag is enough to do a whole pin with some left over.

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from PanaPinResto:

I have a question for those who do their own powder coating. Where do you buy your powder and is there a difference in brands?
Is there someone who sells high quality in small quantities? I've never had trouble with what I'm buying but I'm new at this so what do I know?
I usually buy 1/2 or 1lb bags of powder. Lately from powderbythepound. A 1lb bag is enough to do a whole pin with some left over.

Prismaticpowders.com is where you should buy from. 1lb should not be enough to do a whole pin. Takes approximately 1.5-2lbs depending on if you do the coin door and hinges. Go a little thicker if you are only getting .75lbs on a pin.

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

I don't have any of my games powder coated. I have done all mine with automotive paint and clear. I have had them all to several shows and they hold up just fine.
Phoebe

That looks great ....i kinda like the paint idea better cause it gives you some more options and more pieces you can color.

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Prismaticpowders.com is where you should buy from. 1lb should not be enough to do a whole pin. Takes approximately 1.5-2lbs depending on if you do the coin door and hinges. Go a little thicker if you are only getting .75lbs on a pin.

Thank you sir. I will do that.
So why are prismatic powders better? Have you used powderbythepound pound? You would know better than I but I'm just curious what the difference is.

#165 8 years ago

Thank you sir. I will do that.
So why are prismatic powders better? Have you used powderbythepound pound? You would know better than I but I'm just curious what the difference is.

They are both good and there is definitely some overlap in what they sell but you will find more custom and unique colors @ prismatic. While its a bit more expensive the quality is there. Not sure as to the cost to ship to panama though.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Their prices are better than where I've been buying and I like the site better. I'm going to order a black and try it.

#167 8 years ago

Their prices are better than where I've been buying and I like the site better. I'm going to order a black and try it.

Ink black is the color you want. Its a 95+/- depth.

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/P-0106S/INK-BLACK/

#168 8 years ago

What about epoxy powders. That's what I've been using on my machines. I read it held up better and was fairly good with UV exposure. Is epoxy overkill, ok or the wrong stuff to use?

#169 8 years ago

What about epoxy powders. That's what I've been using on my machines. I read it held up better and was fairly good with UV exposure. Is epoxy overkill, ok or the wrong stuff to use?

It's way overkill for a pin and it's caustic/toxic when its heated so please make sure you ventilate properly. Also the color choices aren't as wide as your standard poly powder.

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

They are both good and there is definitely some overlap in what they sell but you will find more custom and unique colors @ prismatic. While its a bit more expensive the quality is there. Not sure as to the cost to ship to panama though.

I have a DPO address. Costs the same as shipping to florida. Otherwise I'd be screwed. There are no addresses in panama. No post office. Nothing. If your local and you want to order international it's really expensive.

#171 8 years ago

I have a DPO address. Costs the same as shipping to florida. Otherwise I'd be screwed. There are no addresses in panama. No post office. Nothing. If your local and you want to order international it's really expensive.

If you are are US Service Person, thank you for your service!. PM me if you have any additional questions.

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It's way overkill for a pin and it's caustic/toxic when its heated so please make sure you ventilate properly. Also the color choices aren't as wide as your standard poly powder.

I have an exhaust fan and plenty of fresh air.
I'll try some other products if epoxy it overkill. I have found the epoxy to be virtually indestructible.

#173 8 years ago

I have an exhaust fan and plenty of fresh air.
I'll try some other products if epoxy it overkill. I have found the epoxy to be virtually indestructible.

All powder done properly should be as well. We do about 4000 wheels a year here in the north east. Road salt and harsh winters/potholes and none ever come back for finish rework.

#174 8 years ago

Not the best pics, but here's a WhoDunnit.

Was originally going to be on a WCS, but I didn't like the way it looked.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#175 8 years ago

I thought the Simpsons that Hemi-Pinball Refinery did turned out awesome. The nuclear green is perfect for the theme. It makes me want to own a Simpsons just so I could pimp it out. MMMM....

HS.jpgHS.jpg

Hemi_Simpsons..jpgHemi_Simpsons..jpg

Hemi_Simpsons.jpgHemi_Simpsons.jpg

#176 8 years ago

I remember seeing a Last Action Hero powdercoated a few years ago. Man I wanted to do mine badly but got lost in all the choices & eventually sold the game. Got another one again and would be tempted. Anyone remember that one? It was done up in construction yellow like the crane. I thought it was awesome!

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I thought the Simpsons that Hemi-Pinball Refinery did turned out awesome. The nuclear green is perfect for the theme. It makes me want to own a Simpsons just so I could pimp it out. MMMM....

AKA Shocker Yellow.

#178 8 years ago

Gloss black on my Dracula looks awesome! Will probably do the same with my CFTBL.

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

IMG_1003_(1)_(resized).jpgIMG_1003_(1)_(resized).jpg

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You at no point in your original thread said YOU did the powder.

Wha? There is an entire post devoted to the powder coating of the lockdown bar and siderails.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-mirror-universe-pinball/page/8#post-1527720

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Wha? There is an entire post devoted to the powder coating of the lockdown bar and siderails.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-mirror-universe-pinball/page/8#post-1527720

Maybe you do but most don't have time to read every post on pinside. Especially surrounding a theme I loathe.

#181 8 years ago

You really aren't doing yourself any favors.
Before I proceed to rip into someone's work... I make sure to read the reference material so I don't go off half cocked.
Oh - Wait; don't feed the troll.

I do appreciate the ?attempt? at offering advise here... I think the delivery leaves a lot to be desired.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

That looks great ....i kinda like the paint idea better cause it gives you some more options and more pieces you can color.

Yes, I actually did all the trim...Shooter housing, hinges, apron, even the speaker panels. The auto paint shop I get my paint from gave me a color book, with every car color in there. So I can pick from any of them, or if I have something specific, I take him a sample color, and he makes it for me ie. the purple on MET is a mixed color, he named it Metallica pinball purple. So if I need more, I just take the code back to him and he will mix me more. The detail stuff is a bit more difficult with the auto paint, cause it is harder to deal with when painting with a brush but I dealt with it and made it work and in the end I am happy with my results.

Phoebe

#183 8 years ago

Yes, I actually did all the trim...Shooter housing, hinges, apron, even the speaker panels. The auto paint shop I get my paint from gave me a color book, with every car color in there. So I can pick from any of them, or if I have something specific, I take him a sample color, and he makes it for me ie. the purple on MET is a mixed color, he named it Metallica pinball purple. So if I need more, I just take the code back to him and he will mix me more. The detail stuff is a bit more difficult with the auto paint, cause it is harder to deal with when painting with a brush but I dealt with it and made it work and in the end I am happy with my results.
Phoebe

That is super cool.....is it less expensive then powder coating?

#184 8 years ago

Here are mine. Shadow, green and black powder. MM, painted and cleared legs, powder on lockdown and rails. I500, powdercoated.

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

That is super cool.....is it less expensive then powder coating?

LOL!! I have never bought powder coat supplies, so not really sure about cost for it. With the Auto paint it kinda depends on what is in it...Like on Metallica for example the color hubby originally chose had gold flake, silver flake, and mother of pearl, and it was over $100. a quart...so I chose (his 2nd choice) a color that only had the gold and MOP flake in it and it was $80. a quart...so it can be expensive depending on your color choices. The CSI, wasn't as much because it really didn't have any metallic flecks in it except the black but it was a standard color. On SM the blue is actually the same color blue that is on my truck...and it was around $45. a quart...not bad, and I already had the clear, it is Dupont chroma clear...I was able to do all the pieces out of a quart of each color, and have some left for touch ups if the need arises. Like I said not sure on price difference with powder, I just know I am more familiar with the auto stuff and have the equipment to spray it etc.

Phoebe

#186 8 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

HS.jpgHemi_Simpsons..jpgHemi_Simpsons.jpg

I'm about to powder my simpsons and was thinking about Psycho Yellow instead. It's similar to the Shocker Yellow in that it has a Super Chrome base coat...it's just more yellow and less green:

Psycho_Yellow_(resized).jpgPsycho_Yellow_(resized).jpg

#187 8 years ago

others posted my candy red IM also

IMAG0377_IM_powder_1_(resized).jpgIMAG0377_IM_powder_1_(resized).jpg

IMAG0376_IM_Powder_2_(resized).jpgIMAG0376_IM_Powder_2_(resized).jpg

IMAG0375_IM_Powder_3_(resized).jpgIMAG0375_IM_Powder_3_(resized).jpg

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from biglaw:

others posted my candy red IM also

IMAG0377_IM_powder_1_(resized).jpgIMAG0376_IM_Powder_2_(resized).jpgIMAG0375_IM_Powder_3_(resized).jpg

That's sharp and the front would really light up with my amber leg light ups.....sorry for the shameless plug.

#189 8 years ago

Phoebe
P1010024_(resized).JPG
P1010012_(resized).JPG
P7230035_(resized).JPG
P7230002_(resized).JPG
P9150038_(resized).JPG
P9150036_(resized).JPG
P9150043_(resized).JPG

Do you use a dual component clear?

#190 8 years ago

Has anyone ever tried spray chrome ?

#191 8 years ago

Pics of my F-14..

DSCN6136_(resized).JPGDSCN6136_(resized).JPG
DSCN6137_(resized).JPGDSCN6137_(resized).JPG
DSCN6138_(resized).JPGDSCN6138_(resized).JPG

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Pics of my F-14..

Those wireforms look really nice. So does the rest, but the wireforms are a nice touch.

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I'm about to powder my simpsons and was thinking about Psycho Yellow instead. It's similar to the Shocker Yellow in that it has a Super Chrome base coat...it's just more yellow and less green:

That looks like it would really pop as well. Also fyi-Pinball Refinery has a powder coated set including coin door like in the picture for sale on their website. I would be all over it if I owned a Simpsons.

#194 8 years ago

Wow! What a collection of beautiful machines. Love seeing all the different color combinations. Thanks everyone for sharing your photos.

#195 8 years ago

Anyone here that buys from Powderbuythepound had issues with the site?? I dunno what their deal is but the site has been locking up, deleting items from my cart, and at one point when I first signed up they sent me an email stating that my account was deactivated. I called them and they re activated me but I still have the site issues. Buying from them and Prismatic is such a chore because I can never decide on colors, they all look so awesome!!!! lol Next I've decided on going Candy Purple on my CV

candypurp_(resized).jpgcandypurp_(resized).jpg

#196 8 years ago

I've never bought from either one so I wouldn't know but I do love the candy purple, that's what's on my Refinery Met Pro.

#197 8 years ago

About to do a couple machines...some good ideas in this thread!

#198 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I've never bought from either one so I wouldn't know but I do love the candy purple, that's what's on my Refinery Met Pro.

Yes!! And it looks awesome on your machine. The entire color scheme reminds me of a full custom Chevy s10 that was on the covers and featured in a bunch of magazines in the early 2000's. I loved that truck

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Mine also .... looks so good next to my candy red imve

#200 8 years ago

Great looking games guys!! Keep them coming!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 18.95
10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Etten-leur, NB
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 2,014 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-powder-coated-machines-here/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.