(Topic ID: 155473)

show off your powder coated machines here!

By Stones

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,736 posts
  • 300 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AIQ7 (resized).jpg
AIQ5 (resized).jpg
AIQ6 (resized).jpg
AIQ4 (resized).jpg
AIQ3 (resized).jpg
AIQ1 (resized).jpg
AIQ2 (resized).jpg
20210630_025317 (resized).jpg
20210630_025253 (resized).jpg
20210630_025220 (resized).jpg
dunkindonuts (resized).jpg
556689ecffbc64ccc9345b34a0fa4b4e3db8d738 (resized).jpg
ad44e5f87c59a9440744affe1e22334d2b89cc26 (resized).jpg
0174f4ce86f99ddfa1846eed234b16f83f2655c3 (resized).jpg
CA2F84B6-D048-45D2-AA11-D6E0F7DE87F1 (resized).jpeg
FCA19324-A7C7-41C7-AF08-373428084518 (resized).jpeg

There are 1736 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 35.
#101 5 years ago

EATPM and BBBB.

Elvira is 3 layer, Super Chrome -> Shocker Yellow -> Glowbee clearcoat. It glows bright fun house green under blacklight. Same as the neon ink on the playfield.

BBBB started out as replacing the rails that were severely dented from years of abuse and dropping the head so while I have them off, I have them and the bar/legs done.

DSC01097_(resized).JPG

DSC01057_(resized).JPG

#102 5 years ago

I coated my WCS parts purple, but it didnt match and looked bad in my opinion. Luckily the purple goes great with my Who Dunnit - I will post pics once i switch the rails.

#103 5 years ago

Just did my BF armor in candy blue and did candy red on my Mustang Pro.

IMGA0303[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0304[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0305[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0411[1]_(resized).JPG

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Just did my BF armor in candy blue and did candy red on my Mustang Pro.

How did you get the cabinet protectors to light up? Is that something that Stern does?

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from mskoenen:

How did you get the cabinet protectors to light up? Is that something that Stern does?

You haven't heard ? Paul ? Care to elaborate plz....

#106 5 years ago

Every single machine here looks great!!!! I do Harley Davidson engine wrinkle black on the majority of my pins. I do have plans on doing some color experimentation this summer though.

#107 5 years ago

I think AFM looks awesome in black! Very nice indeed!!!

#108 5 years ago

Taking my DH apart this weekend and go in next week for my first powder coating.....man, these pics rock!

#109 5 years ago

PC'd black SMMW

image_(1)_(resized).jpg

image_(2)_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#110 5 years ago

Elvira in black....

101_0051_(resized).JPG

#111 5 years ago

LOTR black powder with gold something or other

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from mskoenen:

I started making and selling them. Visit my topic "New LED Leg Light-Ups". Also in the Market Place with that title too.

#113 5 years ago

Looks awesome, do the t molding for a complete package. )

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from john32:

Does anyone have a powder coated World cup 94. I have to replace a damaged rail and was thinking why not powder coat it before I put it on..

image_(resized).jpeg

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Star_Trek: The Mirror Universe
Black w/ Holographic flake
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13212270615/sizes/o/

Played that at TPF.....such a cool concept

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Star_Trek: The Mirror Universe
Black w/ Holographic flake
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13212270615/sizes/o/

That powder looks like it was done in a backyard with no surface prep. The orange peel is some of the worst I have ever seen. That's due to a multitude of factors:

Poor surface prep (no chem dip for example)
Not enough charge (Like someone using an eastwood gun or something from harbor freight)
Uneven heating or low temp melt. ( < 400 degrees evenly )
Too thick of an application coupled with poor heating.

I would take that to whoever did it and rip them a new one and have them re-do it. It should be smooth as glass.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That powder looks like it was done in a backyard with no surface prep. The orange peel is some of the worst I have ever seen. That's due to a multitude of factors:
Not enough charge (Like someone using an eastwood gun or something from harbor freight)
I would take that to whoever did it and rip them a new one and have them re-do it. It should be smooth as glass.

You forgot to mention the misaligned flippers.

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

I have heard of people painting and clear coating it....not sure how well this holds up but would like to hear if anyone has done it.

This is painted and cleared. Had to scan my pinball refinery metal apron to try to get a paint code so we could match it. Like most have said pictures really doesn't do it justice. Looks awesome in the light.

2016-02-05_10.17.34_(resized).jpg
2016-02-06_11.09.17_(resized).jpg
2016-02-06_11.09.01_(resized).jpg

#120 5 years ago

Oh and The Getaway.

2016-01-18_11.17.45_(resized).jpg

2016-01-18_11.18.33_(resized).jpg

2016-01-18_11.17.56_(resized).jpg

2016-02-23_13.52.53_(resized).jpg

#121 5 years ago

Looks great Jokerpoker. I would replace them graphics though . Everything else looks really nice but the cab graphics look pretty faded. r is that just the photo ?

#122 5 years ago

Ok. I am convinced. Who can give me some contact info? I'd like to send out parts for my afm restoration. Should i go with the consensus black... Or something more wild?

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

This is cleared painted and cleared. Had to scan my pinball refinery metal apron to try to get a paint code so we could match it. Like most have said pictures really doesn't do it justice. Looks awesome in the light.

2016-02-05_10.17.34_(resized).jpg2016-02-06_11.09.17_(resized).jpg2016-02-06_11.09.01_(resized).jpg

That's a nice looking red. I'd like to get a red like that in powder for my GB Pro.

#124 5 years ago

What is your method of removal of existing coatings for the ones that have been factory coated like newer sterns?

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Thank you for your unsolicited professional critique of my backyard work with a harbor freight gun. I'd take it back for a redo... but considering it was done by my alter-ego... he's an ash-hole and doesn't have a customer support bone in his body.

You also forgot to mention that the powder was like 5 years old w/out any humidity control... so the black wouldn't stick because of that. That it was done last minute at Techshop on Sunday evening before TPF.

Quoted from SuperPinball:

You forgot to mention the misaligned flippers.

Or that the flippers were also powdercoated and laser etched.... or that the machine was still in active assembly when that picture was taken.

You guys go right on ahead and rip on a "best pinball in Texas" award winner for 2014 if it makes you feel better.

#126 5 years ago

I've had a few done.

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#127 5 years ago

image_(resized).jpg

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

You also forgot to mention that the powder was like 5 years old w/out any humidity control... so the black wouldn't stick because of that. That it was done last minute at Techshop on Sunday evening before TPF.

Humidity only impacts the longevity of the powder, it has nothing to do with its adherence. It could be 90% humidity and it won't make a difference. Powder isn't "powder" at all. It's plastics, polyurethane, and various resins. The poor coverage is due to poor equipment and prep. You can't use a cheapy harbor freight gun on a large piece of metal like a leg or a lockdown bar. There isn't enough charge to make the powder adhere properly.

That's the "best pinball in texas"? You guys have low standards

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Humidity only impacts the longevity of the powder, it has nothing to do with its adherence. It could be 90% humidity and it won't make a difference. Powder isn't "powder" at all. It's plastics, polyurethane, and various resins. The poor coverage is due to poor equipment and prep. You can't use a cheapy harbor freight gun on a large piece of metal like a leg or a lockdown bar. There isn't enough charge to make the powder adhere properly.

Ok Guys, this thread was going very nicely, with great pics of peoples games and the pride they take in them. If you have nothing better to do than slag another persons work, pm them and tell em, otherwise sit back and see what creative color combo's are thought of and appreciate the work people do to keep 30 40 year old equipment looking fresh.

Look at the heading "Show off your powder coating" not lets pick apart the colors or the application method used, whether done on a budget or full blown no expense job, this was about the pride each one here takes in their games.

Now back to our regular programming.

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Whateves. I stand by my work; regardless of how clueless you are.

And, everyone... if you are in the market for awesome powdercoating... contact that yahoo... and then nitpick the crap our of his work. Make sure it's defect free... clean, and "like glass". And demand he redo it - if it's isn't perfect. You know... since he's a professional and all.

#131 5 years ago

Shall I get the popcorn or not?

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Shall I get the popcorn or not?

Nah - I'm done feeding that elitish-professional troll. Clearly he does perfect work... as people in glass houses don't throw rocks.

If anyone really thinks I do "backyard" work... Thanks. I pride myself on actually doing what I need to do to make a project a success. I'd challenge anyone to best the work I did on Star Trek: Mirror Universe.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-mirror-universe-pinball

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from silverball0:

Ok Guys, this thread was going very nicely, with great pics of peoples games and the pride they take in them. If you have nothing better to do than slag another persons work, pm them and tell em, otherwise sit back and see what creative color combo's are thought of and appreciate the work people do to keep 30 40 year old equipment looking fresh.
Look at the heading "Show off your powder coating" not lets pick apart the colors or the application method used, whether done on a budget or full blown no expense job, this was about the pride each one here takes in their games.
Now back to our regular programming.

Well spoken....I want this thread to allow pinsiders to show their creativity, inspire, and share useful tips. 2014 was the first year I went to TPF....and I remember playing Mirrored Universe. It was located toward the far end, next to a regular 78 Star Trek.....very cool machine. Compliments to you Zitt!

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Man...you have been here long enough and now better then to post this kind of statement. We're here to HELP each other enjoy the hobby not talk shit about others work. If you don't like something just don't say anything.

#135 5 years ago

Lots of pros hate nothing more than to see "regular" guys doing the work they do. Electricians, machinist, painters, plumbers, etc. I've seen many of them over the years bash a regular joe for doing his own work. I do my own powder coating also and I'm no pro. My work is also not perfect all the time. I have lots of fun learning new skills though. I also get a great sense of pride. Just be happy for us backyard pin lovers. We know we're not doing Pro work. We're also not dropping tons of cash on pro equipment. Doesn't mean our pins don't look great.
I love to see the powdered pins in these posts but what I'm seeing more than anything else is love. Everyone here loves these machines. Let's just leave it at that.
Now let's see some more pics,

#136 5 years ago

How much more durable is powder coat compared to a good paint job with clear ?

#137 5 years ago

anyone care to share their process of powder coating machines that have existing coating on like sterns?

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

In my experience; much. A good powdercoat is very robust and hard to even sand; much less remove without a lot of effort.

Stretch,
You have to remove the existing coating first.
http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2013/07/stripping-powder-coat.html

This site has good info; but I haven't really tried their recommendation yet.
John

#139 5 years ago

Hey zitt thank you for info

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

There really is no comparison in durability. Powder has to be sand blasted off and wont chip with simple wedding rings and keys. You can drop a lockdown bar on cement and its probably ok. All stern games are powder coated (that black dull finish is powder). A properly painted game will probably be ok in a home use environment though.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Whateves. I stand by my work; regardless of how clueless you are.
And, everyone... if you are in the market for awesome powdercoating... contact that yahoo... and then nitpick the crap our of his work. Make sure it's defect free... clean, and "like glass". And demand he redo it - if it's isn't perfect. You know... since he's a professional and all.

I'd say pinchroma's words were a little uncalled for here. However, he is not clueless. If you somehow were able to get him to powder coat something for you, it would most definitely be 'defect free... clean, and "like glass"' and be perfect. Guaranteed. His work is top notch.

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

However, he is not clueless.

Clueless - as in the amount of work in STMU... not in Powdercoating.
IE in RE: to "best pinball in texas? You guys have low standards"

Sorry; but any professional that proceeds to rip into the homebrew crowd because they feel like they are elite; is clueless... and well; someone that won't be getting my business.

#143 5 years ago

The machine that was done by paid professional will look better but the machine that was done by a DIYer with a cheapy HF or eastwood gun will get my respect.

#144 5 years ago

Candy apple on imve with matching apron. Color looks amazing with the shiny foil decals and lollipop side rails . 20160327_042853.jpg20160327_043333.jpg

#145 5 years ago

Powder Police aside, The Mirror Universe is my favorite one off custom pin that I have seen. The powder color is great for that game. It's obvious it was a labor of love. Zit is the Spinal Tap of Trekkies. His love for ST goes to 11.

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Candy apple on imve with matching apron. Color looks amazing with the shiny foil decals and lollipop side rails . 20160327_042853.jpg20160327_043333.jpg

I so want that style of apron to coat and put on my GB Pro. If I could find one and if it would work on the game that is. I'm gonna turn my Pro into a Promium.

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's a nice looking red. I'd like to get a red like that in powder for my GB Pro.

It's a candy red. The Apron from Steve had more metal fleck than we could get here but it was still a perfect match color wise.

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Looks great Jokerpoker. I would replace them graphics though . Everything else looks really nice but the cab graphics look pretty faded. r is that just the photo ?

Just the photo. It's got new decals. Full resto inside and out.

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Just the photo. It's got new decals. Full resto inside and out.

It's funny what are phone cameras produce color wise. Lol.

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Real men wear pink?

realmenwearpink_(resized).png

Dude where did you get that picture ? That is so cool. I had to look at it twice to make sure I saw what I saw. lol He's got the bear from the show and everything.

There are 1736 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside