(Topic ID: 155473)

show off your powder coated machines here!

By Stones

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,731 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by gorditas
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210630_025317 (resized).jpg
20210630_025253 (resized).jpg
20210630_025220 (resized).jpg
dunkindonuts (resized).jpg
556689ecffbc64ccc9345b34a0fa4b4e3db8d738 (resized).jpg
ad44e5f87c59a9440744affe1e22334d2b89cc26 (resized).jpg
0174f4ce86f99ddfa1846eed234b16f83f2655c3 (resized).jpg
CA2F84B6-D048-45D2-AA11-D6E0F7DE87F1 (resized).jpeg
FCA19324-A7C7-41C7-AF08-373428084518 (resized).jpeg
8C53C929-ED5E-4175-88ED-7EA70A7B42FE (resized).jpeg
437B0D58-86EF-4478-83CB-1A9938DC9563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8945 (resized).JPG
IMG_8944 (resized).JPG
IMG_8946 (resized).JPG
IMG_8948 (resized).JPG
24B54CEE-A80E-49D2-AE92-51BCE59E8231 (resized).jpeg

There are 1731 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 35.
#51 5 years ago

For me, I love variety - some chrome, some brass, some powder.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#52 5 years ago

I'm thinking of doing my getaway side rails, lockdown bar and legs. I'm thinking either red or black. What do you all think would look best?

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I'm thinking of doing my getaway side rails, lockdown bar and legs. I'm thinking either red or black. What do you all think would look best?

Getaway.jpg

#54 5 years ago

After my DH is powder coated, I will be doing the exact same to my Getaway. Might do the coin door in that red too

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

For me, I love variety - some chrome, some brass, some powder.

Plating is hard to go wrong with as well... chrome and brass always look nice.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Plating is hard to go wrong with as well... chrome and brass always look nice.

Except after someone plays it and leaves finger prints all over it.

#57 5 years ago

I'm doing mine red whenever I restore it.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Did this one in a whim

2016_pictures_018_(resized).JPG

Why'd you black out your grand champion score?

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

So I just got back from TPF and I was blown away by some of the machines that have been powder coated and hoping other pinsiders would share (show off) machines they have powder coated. I see some pics in random threads, but not a dedicated thread (apologize if there is a thread). Not everyone is a fan of DH, but I love this machine! Thoughts on what I should make the color scheme for powder coating?

20160321_164045_(resized).jpg20160321_164126_(resized).jpg

My thoughts are either glass black powder coat for the legs and armor, or send the armor and gun to Chestnut for black nickel plating.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

So I just got back from TPF and I was blown away by some of the machines that have been powder coated and hoping other pinsiders would share (show off) machines they have powder coated. I see some pics in random threads, but not a dedicated thread (apologize if there is a thread). Not everyone is a fan of DH, but I love this machine! Thoughts on what I should make the color scheme for powder coating?

My thoughts are either black gloss powder coat for the legs and armor, or send the legs, armor and gun to Chestnut for black nickel plating.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

My thoughts are either glass black powder coat for the legs and armor, or send the armor and gun to Chestnut for black nickel plating.

I'm thinking the same thing...I really liked TeeKee's example. I found a place in Wichita that people have recommended. I'm going to try and get the gun handle in black, and the rest in chrome (if done right....think that'll look awesome)

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Actually I'm probably more in the minority. I am not a big color fan for most titles. Especially the WPC stuff. I like black, maybe a dark blue on certain titles but the bright colors to me make most titles look 'cheap' if that's even the right word. Its all personal preference of course but I rarely see a bright color that I like. That yellow FG looks great though...

This is exactly how I feel. I see lots of colored powder on Stern games that looks cool, but when I speculate about how to color my lineup, or see examples online, I almost always think the colored armor looks cheap on the B/W stuff. I've done a bunch in black, a couple in a charcoal gray, etc.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Why'd you black out your grand champion score?

I didnt , camera speed might have

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I didnt , camera speed might have

Figured it was because it was weak sauce

#65 5 years ago

Anyone else doing their own powdercoating? I built and oven that would hold side rails and started practicing. I still have the legs to do and some decals to add. I think the blacked out look is sharp on Pinbot.

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from PanaPinResto:

Anyone else doing their own powdercoating? I built and oven that would hold side rails and started practicing. I still have the legs to do and some decals to add. I think the blacked out look is sharp on Pinbot.
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

What's the cost of getting one of these for my house?

#67 5 years ago

I would love bragging rights on this one buy it was my sons idea.

Dylan's_Dr_Who_525_(resized).jpg

#68 5 years ago

Black nickel chrome by MC on MM, red PC on WWF done on a whim.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#69 5 years ago

Has anyone been able to replicate the black chrome/black nickel look with powder? Maybe a super chrome base coat with some kind of black clear coat?

Of course black chrome/black nickel would be preferred, but Mike Chestnut no longer does the longer pieces like side rails.

#70 5 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#71 5 years ago

I think my MM rails were some of the last ones he did. The rails really are nice and go well with the wire forms that are also done. My understanding is that the long pieces are tough to do.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

What's the cost of getting one of these for my house?

Are you referring to the oven? I built mine. I found the right metal cabinet, insulated the inside, lined it with sheet metal, then I added a window, light and element from an old range. It has a PID controller and K type thermocouple. I might have $100 in it.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Nicest doctor who ive seen who did the powder coat? Whats the color called?

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Should have included the coin door.

image_(resized).jpeg

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Except after someone plays it and leaves finger prints all over it.

Make them wear gloves!

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

That really looks amazing Dave! Top work mate!

#78 5 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#79 5 years ago

Here are some pics of my 3 powder coated pins.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#80 5 years ago

I love this thread. These machines all look great. I haven't seen a bad one yet.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Its happening....

#82 5 years ago

I would really like to do my Elvira, my question is, how hard is it to remove and re-install the side rails?

#83 5 years ago

I actually saw a powder coating place near me while driving around one day, and now I've been wondering about my Stargate. I think gold trim would look great and would match the gold wireform and pyramid in the game. I'm just not sure if I can actually get the side rails off, as they seem nailed in rather than screwed. Has anyone done a Gottlieb before?

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

I would really like to do my Elvira, my question is, how hard is it to remove and re-install the side rails?

Vid's guide:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-side-rails-vids-guide

#85 5 years ago

Thanks to pinmisters photo I'm doing my Getaway is red for sure!!!

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Bally/Williams are secured with double sided tape - it's very hard to get them off without bending them (and they are usually dented anyways). I typically just order a new set and send them to the plate/coat shop.

#87 5 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Has anyone been able to replicate the black chrome/black nickel look with powder? Maybe a super chrome base coat with some kind of black clear coat?
Of course black chrome/black nickel would be preferred, but Mike Chestnut no longer does the longer pieces like side rails.

Ok - I guess this does exist:

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/PPB-4623/BLACK-CHROME-II/

I'd love to see how this looks!

#89 5 years ago

Some great looking games. Really make the games pop!

#90 5 years ago

Here's mine. Except for AC/DC, there are not powder coated, but are painted by a professional with car paints
and clearcoated. MM is a regular one, not a remake.

WP_20160324_10_55_28_Pro_(resized).jpg

WP_20160324_10_54_52_Pro_(resized).jpg

#91 5 years ago

221090_(resized).jpg221092-i_(resized).jpg221089_(resized).jpg221088_(resized).jpg221087_(resized).jpg221086_(resized).jpg221085_(resized).jpg221084_(resized).jpg221082_(resized).jpg212530_(resized).jpg212529_(resized).jpg212528_(resized).jpg212523_(resized).jpg

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

It's Candy Apple Blood Red. Looks even better in person.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#93 5 years ago

When the lockdown bar is powder coated , do they also do the backside ? How thick is it ? Does it affect locking it down ? Also, has anyone ever had the lockdown bar receiver powercoated ?

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Ok - I guess this does exist:
http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/PPB-4623/BLACK-CHROME-II/
I'd love to see how this looks!

It doesn't work. You need like 8 stages to get that color to look like it does in the picture. Can't put that level of thickness on thin pin parts without serious orange peel. I do NOT recommend it. There is another called speedway gray that looks amazing and has a small sparkle. Speedway black as well. Same thing but a bit darker.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

When the lockdown bar is powder coated , do they also do the backside ? How thick is it ? Does it affect locking it down ? Also, has anyone ever had the lockdown bar receiver powercoated ?

Yes. Yes. 1/32nd" per stage, no, yes.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Yes. Yes. 1/32nd" per stage, no, yes.

Awesome response !! lol

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Awesome response !! lol

glad I could help. Lol.

#98 5 years ago

Here are my custom powder coated machines - CV in green, Tron in blue, and AFM in black

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#99 5 years ago

There are some very nice machines here. It's nice to see so much personality come out in the hobby. Some of my local buds have done amazing powder coating. I personally prefer the stock metal of the 90s BW games. I'm thinking that Ghostbusters premium is prime for coating. The Stern Flat black is ripe for replacement with a nice purple. In person, the game has a like of pink and purple on the cabinet. This will be fun.

#100 5 years ago

Does anyone have a powder coated World cup 94. I have to replace a damaged rail and was thinking why not powder coat it before I put it on..

There are 1731 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside