(Topic ID: 155473)

show off your powder coated machines here!

By Stones

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,014 posts
  • 356 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 176 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Machine_04 (resized).jpg
Machine_03 (resized).jpg
Machine_02 (resized).jpg
Machine_01 (resized).jpg
63246580663__8BCB4A61-E7EB-4F2F-B4CF-33F968B6C07B (resized).jpeg
IMG_5950 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5980 (resized).jpeg
63246610992__ED7DA80C-682D-46BE-8FB0-F5F782F8179B (resized).jpeg
IMG_5987 (resized).jpeg
63252200281__F78200A3-61D5-45C2-95E0-3AC815CFA7AE (resized).jpeg
IMG_6006 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6007 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240415_183519404_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240415_183526698 (resized).jpg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_141807421_HDR (resized).jpg
There are 2,014 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 41.
#751 7 years ago

No prob

gbpc.jpggbpc.jpg

#752 7 years ago

unnamed (4) (resized).jpgunnamed (4) (resized).jpg

20161118_172746 (resized).jpg20161118_172746 (resized).jpg

20161118_172735 (resized).jpg20161118_172735 (resized).jpg

#753 7 years ago

That green looks really good on your GB Pro.

#754 7 years ago

Show quality chrome bolts would look great with those blue legs.

#755 7 years ago

DSCF2907 (resized).JPGDSCF2907 (resized).JPG

DSCF2938 (resized).JPGDSCF2938 (resized).JPG

#756 7 years ago

WOW!! That orange really pops!!!

#757 7 years ago

Just wondering if any of the powder coating guru's could help me out, when I get my BM66 I want to powder coat the right ramp as the left ramp is already powder coated red, is it the same exact process for powder coating a chrome ramp as it is cabinet armour? And can you get a metallic flake effect in the powder coating or would the wire construction of the ramp have to little surface area for it to adhere without chipping? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

#758 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

when I get my BM66 I want to powder coat the right ramp as the left ramp is already powder coated red

Are you meaning the habitrails (ie wireforms?)

Both ramps are bare metal in the attached picture. Pinchroma used to advise against powder coating ramps because they take a hammering. I would think you'll get dull trails up the middle where the ball goes.

If you do mean the habitrails, yep, powdercoat them any colour you want. You'll need to get the old coating off first, usually your powdercoater will sandblast them.

rd

IMG_4029 (resized).JPGIMG_4029 (resized).JPG

#759 7 years ago

Thanks for the reply RD, yeah sorry I should have been more specific and been clear I was talking about the wireforms but I made that post at half 3 in the morning after getting back from a house fire so proof reading wasn't even a consideration

It nice Stern have done a powder coated habitrail but I will definitely want to powder coat the one they have just left chrome.

If the factory powder is not great then I will probably redo it, have one wireform blue with a purple flake effect and the other red with a gold flake effect - subtle Batman & Robin colour schemes.

#760 7 years ago

Not quite finished yet (headbox and flippers still to do) but here is the RD STTNG Blackout Edition.

Everything is gloss black. All the nuts and screws are gloss black (well, a couple still to do ..) The ships are all hand painted up. This thing was a POS when it arrived here and slowly it has taken shape.

Good things take time ...

rd

IMG_4090 (resized).JPGIMG_4090 (resized).JPG

IMG_4093 (resized).JPGIMG_4093 (resized).JPG

IMG_4095 (resized).JPGIMG_4095 (resized).JPG

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#761 7 years ago

Everything was rusty as hell on this machine. It must have been stored in some crappy wet warehouse for years.

All these bits were blasted and then powdercoated in gloss black.

All the bolts and screws I stripped back individually on the bench wire wheel, and double coated with black gloss Dulux spray paint.

Some got scratched on installation, so all those got hand painted with a brush.

All the spinner brackets, switch brackets etc were also finished by hand.

rd

IMG_3991 (resized).JPGIMG_3991 (resized).JPG

#762 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Everything was rusty as hell on this machine. It must have been stored in some crappy wet warehouse for years.
All the bolts and screws I stripped back individually on the bench wire wheel, and double coated with black gloss Dulux spray paint.
Some got scratched on installation, so all those got hand painted with a brush.
All the spinner brackets, switch brackets etc were also finished by hand.
rd

Nice work there rd. You saved another :applause:one.

#763 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nice work there rd. You saved another :applause:one.

The positive of this machine were that the playfield and cabinet were both pretty good. I needed to sand down the cabinet bottom to tidy it up .. the customwood (MDF) had watermarks and some swelling. Not bad enough to replace it ... 30 mins sanding sorted it out.

rd

#764 7 years ago

RD that STTNG looks phenomenal man awesome work! Did you powder coat the ramp flaps as well?

#765 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

RD that STTNG looks phenomenal man awesome work! Did you powder coat the ramp flaps as well?

No, they are all new ramps (others were very munted up ..) which came with new flaps. Flaps are just normal blackened steel.

rd

#766 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That thing looks sweet RD. I like how the black practically hides the ramps and makes them blend in. Did you just use acrylic for the ships?

Quoted from J85M:

Thanks for the reply RD, yeah sorry I should have been more specific and been clear I was talking about the wireforms but I made that post at half 3 in the morning after getting back from a house fire so proof reading wasn't even a consideration

I wouldn't do any type of metallic flake on the wireforms. All the ramps in my BF were redone, and they have held up relatively well (and I play the shit out of that game, as do most guests). The PC guy went a little lighter than the green I had suggested and presented to him (which was close to factory), but it still looks great. I know Paul recently had his redone also along with his armor, I think in purple. Stick with a solid color, and make sure they coat the hell out of them. I have a few nicks and trails in mine at this point, but they still look great compared to what they were.

photo 2 (resized).JPGphoto 2 (resized).JPG

#767 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

That thing looks sweet RD. I like how the black practically hides the ramps and makes them blend in. Did you just use acrylic for the ships?

Sprayed them with Enamel and touched them up by hand. They aren't as nice as say Modfathers ... but for $2 paint and half an hour of my time they look ok. And much better than the stock stuff

rd

#768 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I wouldn't do any type of metallic flake on the wireforms. All the ramps in my BF were redone, and they have held up relatively well (and I play the shit out of that game, as do most guests). The PC guy went a little lighter than the green I had suggested and presented to him (which was close to factory), but it still looks great. I know Paul recently had his redone also along with his armor, I think in purple. Stick with a solid color, and make sure they coat the hell out of them. I have a few nicks and trails in mine at this point, but they still look great compared to what they were.

I spoke to a local guy he seems to think he can create a flake effect with a very fine flake (he used the word dust) just to get it to catch the light and sparkle, he also said if it doesn't give me the desired finish and function i have described and showed him that he will strip them and re coat free of labour charges and just charge me at cost for the second coat so all in all it will be worth giving it ago

1 week later
#769 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Soon, my RZ

I couldn't be any happier with how this turned out. It's stunning to me in bright light.

IMG_0364 (resized).JPGIMG_0364 (resized).JPG
IMG_0370 (resized).JPGIMG_0370 (resized).JPG
IMG_0373 (resized).JPGIMG_0373 (resized).JPG

IMG_0376.JPGIMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0378.JPGIMG_0378.JPG

#770 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I couldn't be any happier with how this turned out. It's stunning to me in bright light.

That looks soooo rich. I can feel it from here.

#771 7 years ago

Has anyone powder coated a Walking Dead Pro? I was thinking something similar to the powder coat used on Iron Man. Some type of metallic maroon. Suggestions?

Also, does anyone have a color name for the metallic purple most use on Metallica Pro?

Cheers!
Adam.

#772 7 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Has anyone powder coated a Walking Dead Pro? I was thinking something similar to the powder coat used on Iron Man. Some type of metallic maroon. Suggestions?

You play in a lit or dark room?

#773 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You play in a lit or dark room?

Lit!

#775 7 years ago

Looks like it could be cool. Which colors are these? Any pics of the games after the powder coated parts are installed?

#776 7 years ago

no pics from Flipperparts - would like to do it if i find an applicator in Germany which works with the prismatic colors.

#777 7 years ago

That RZ hammered finish looks tops. How does one powdercoat the coin door hinge without funking it up causing it to chip off when using the door?

#778 7 years ago

Ok now you have to show us TWD. I can kind of see the paint job on the legs and looks really cool.

#779 7 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

That RZ hammered finish looks tops. How does one powdercoat the coin door hinge without funking it up causing it to chip off when using the door?

Some very minimal acceptable chipping will occur on the coin door hinge but barely. Nothing to worry about. Use a known trusted local shop or ship to Steve pinball refinery or Matt back alley. They'll make sure it's done right.

#780 7 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

I powdered my own coin door hinge as well as light panel hinge in the head and didn't have any chipping whatsoever. Non-issue.

IMG_0813 (resized).JPGIMG_0813 (resized).JPGIMG_1130 (resized).JPGIMG_1130 (resized).JPG

#781 7 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

I was thinking the same thing when I sent mine off to get powder coated but I have opened and closed it many times already and it hasn't chipped or flaked yet.

DSCF2938 (resized).JPGDSCF2938 (resized).JPG

#782 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I powdered my own coin door hinge as well as light panel hinge in the head and didn't have any chipping whatsoever. Non-issue.

That Flash Gordon cabinet and backbox looks sweet. Very nice job so far...

#783 7 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

The very nature of powder coating is resistant to chipping. Hand rails on public transport are powder coated yellow and resist chipping than older paint styles. Having said that spraying and then clearing has a similar effect as the hard clear is less prone to chipping than 1 coat paint. Here's my IMVE and it's holding up great.

2016-02-06 11.09.01 (resized).jpg2016-02-06 11.09.01 (resized).jpg

#784 7 years ago

IMG_2988 (resized).JPGIMG_2988 (resized).JPG

IMG_2992 (resized).JPGIMG_2992 (resized).JPG

IMG_2994 (resized).JPGIMG_2994 (resized).JPG

IMG_2990 (resized).JPGIMG_2990 (resized).JPG

IMG_2996 (resized).JPGIMG_2996 (resized).JPG

#785 7 years ago

Wow!! those colors go together very well. I like that allot more than the slimmer green that I always see.

#786 7 years ago

Looks good, you should have modfather paint you a shooter rod to match.

#787 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Yup and my red Leg Light-Ups and Beatmasters red shooter housing light up.

#788 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Agree. ModFather shooter rod is required here.

#789 7 years ago

Not the most loved game out there, but my kids and I like it. Stern IJ in Illusion Root Beer by Back Alley

IMG_4506 (resized).JPGIMG_4506 (resized).JPG

IMG_4507 (resized).JPGIMG_4507 (resized).JPG

IMG_4508 (resized).JPGIMG_4508 (resized).JPG

#790 7 years ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

Not the most loved game out there, but my kids and I like it. Stern IJ in Illusion Root Beer by Back Alley

That looks pretty sweet.

Hard to beat when all those balls fall out of the chest, that's cool stuff.

rd

#791 7 years ago

That is the best looking one yet, way better than the green and don't get me started on how bad the white looks.

The colour really suits the game fantastic.

#792 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Need a little input if you guys/gals don't mind.
Given my obvious infatuation with vampires, some of my games are keepers (or at least should be). After looking on here, I was debating on powder coating my Bally Vampire and Stern Dracula. Any thoughts on whether I should (assuming I don't mind spending the money to powder coat lower level SS or EM games), or which colors would look optimal? I think purple or metallic purple on Stern Drac might be a bit much with the amount of purple in the cab already.
The bonus...Vampire has the classic early Bally one piece armor integrated with the smaller PF glass, so I could literally just pull the entire thing off and deliver it and the legs for coating. The possible downside...just not sure on PC'ing this one, especially as Vampire is rare with very low production of 799 units. Thoughts?
(sorry about poor lighting when these pics were taken)

Did you ever get any of these done?

#793 7 years ago

Picked up a Kiss premium and did exterior parts as well as the ramps.

IMG_8093 (resized).JPGIMG_8093 (resized).JPG

#794 7 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Did you ever get any of these done?

Working on it now...just started tearing down the Bally Vampire. Hopefully they can get it done right with the rails/ld bar framing in one piece. Looks like I'd have to pop rivets to get it apart, and would probably scratch the shit out of it putting it back together. Changing the PF glass on these one piece Bally frames is a PITA enough by itself. I'll definitely post a few pics here once it's done.

#795 7 years ago

I just had the my xmen pro done up in a metallic blue. Looks good with the blue apron

IMG_5498 (resized).JPGIMG_5498 (resized).JPG

IMG_5501 (resized).JPGIMG_5501 (resized).JPG

IMG_5504 (resized).JPGIMG_5504 (resized).JPG

#796 7 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Ok now you have to show us TWD. I can kind of see the paint job on the legs and looks really cool.

That one is the stern aftermarket blood spatter set, I was going to do a rust like colour but liked the blood spatter so much I just bought it instead

#797 7 years ago

Green on a Ghostbusters premium

gbp.jpggbp.jpg
gbg2.jpggbg2.jpg

#798 7 years ago

TSPP! Just finished it today!

IMG_1373 (resized).JPGIMG_1373 (resized).JPG

IMG_1375 (resized).JPGIMG_1375 (resized).JPG

IMG_1374 (resized).JPGIMG_1374 (resized).JPG

IMG_1376 (resized).JPGIMG_1376 (resized).JPG

#799 7 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Green on a Ghostbusters premium

What brand and color is this?

#800 7 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

What brand and color is this?

Illusion lime time from prismatic there big shoots

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 2,014 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-powder-coated-machines-here/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.