(Topic ID: 270511)

Show off your DIY mods! All games!

By GeekedOnPinball

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TZballs (resized).jpg
    1A203670-C830-4CB2-922A-29F126658FCB (resized).jpeg
    16581F27-6A51-419B-B953-367E91827D76 (resized).jpeg
    937CBB5D-CA4B-41AC-A151-E50B6DD28B85 (resized).jpeg
    E1F4D326-17ED-40C5-A52E-A5416FD0B133 (resized).jpeg
    B085FAFD-8E47-4A8C-91CC-8F63136F98EF (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

I love this hobby and particularly love customizing the pins and doing mini projects on them.

I just finished this one that’s already a popular one, the led millennium falcon.

Anyway thought it would be cool to see what everyone else is doing.

#2 3 years ago

Show us the final product!

#3 3 years ago
    937CBB5D-CA4B-41AC-A151-E50B6DD28B85 (resized).jpeg937CBB5D-CA4B-41AC-A151-E50B6DD28B85 (resized).jpegB085FAFD-8E47-4A8C-91CC-8F63136F98EF (resized).jpegB085FAFD-8E47-4A8C-91CC-8F63136F98EF (resized).jpegE1F4D326-17ED-40C5-A52E-A5416FD0B133 (resized).jpegE1F4D326-17ED-40C5-A52E-A5416FD0B133 (resized).jpeg
    #4 3 years ago

That looks awesome great job! Nice looking Star Wars.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

That looks awesome great job! Nice looking Star Wars.

Thanks! I am really enjoying the game.

1 month later
    #6 3 years ago

Added a Metallica belt buckle modded into a sign.

16581F27-6A51-419B-B953-367E91827D76 (resized).jpeg16581F27-6A51-419B-B953-367E91827D76 (resized).jpeg
    #9 3 years ago

It spins as well.

1A203670-C830-4CB2-922A-29F126658FCB (resized).jpeg1A203670-C830-4CB2-922A-29F126658FCB (resized).jpeg
    #10 3 years ago

Because of Corona I had a lot of homeoffice time and in the meantime I developed my "Eat at Eddys Deluxe" version for my Attack from Mars AFM pin I didn't want an office building but an old brick building, which rather passes as "Eddys Restaurant".

It's a plug and play mod which is simply clipped to the ball ejector/VUK of the Attack from Mars using magnets.
    I adapted the Eat at Eddy sign a bit more authentic to the translite version. A spring makes the shield wobble during the game.
    The lighting should look like a "real fire". I used 4 colored LEDs with fire effect (you really think the thing is burning ), which are simply connected to the GI (6.3VAC) by crocodile clips - no soldering is necessary.

cheers Chris

#11 3 years ago

I like to add interactive lighting effects.

Here's my Rudy Mad Eyes

And here's my Vengeance Explosion

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

It spins as well.
    [quoted image]

Super sweet! That's awesome it spins. Great topper

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I like to add interactive lighting effects.
    Here's my Rudy Mad Eyes

And here's my Vengeance Explosion

That's super sweet. How do I learn to do something like this? Is this just finding the light that gets turned on during this event and then splicing into it with extra lights?

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from chriz99:

Because of Corona I had a lot of homeoffice time and in the meantime I developed my "Eat at Eddys Deluxe" version for my Attack from Mars AFM pin I didn't want an office building but an old brick building, which rather passes as "Eddys Restaurant".
    It's a plug and play mod which is simply clipped to the ball ejector/VUK of the Attack from Mars using magnets.
    I adapted the Eat at Eddy sign a bit more authentic to the translite version. A spring makes the shield wobble during the game.
    The lighting should look like a "real fire". I used 4 colored LEDs with fire effect (you really think the thing is burning ), which are simply connected to the GI (6.3VAC) by crocodile clips - no soldering is necessary.
    cheers Chris

Oh magnets are a great way to attach things... I've been careful not to permanently modify my games for my mods so thanks for that tip. The building turned out AWESOME. Did you 3d print that? I love the fire effect, this turned out very professional.. looks and behaves like it's OEM. Great job!

#15 3 years ago

Of all the games I have, this is one of my only mods. Seriously.

TZballs (resized).jpgTZballs (resized).jpg
    #16 3 years ago
    Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

That's super sweet. How do I learn to do something like this? Is this just finding the light that gets turned on during this event and then splicing into it with extra lights?

Yeah, that's often all it takes, because a flasher is buried under and behind too much stuff. I was missing a good explosion effect, and it was practically begging for one there.

#17 3 years ago

Here's an even cooler one I did on ST: interactive speaker and button lighting synchronized to the game mode. Getting to warp 9.2 and seeing them color-cycle like crazy during double scoring is a great effect.

I've really tricked-out my ST.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Here's an even cooler one I did on ST: interactive speaker and button lighting synchronized to the game mode. Getting to warp 9.2 and seeing them color-cycle like crazy during double scoring is a great effect.
    I've really tricked-out my ST.

Oh nice, love the interactive speakers and buttons. I might have to steal that ideal for my Star Wars. What did you use on the speakers?

#19 3 years ago

I'd be careful with integrations on Spike systems. Stern recommends against it: Spike power system isn't as robust as previous generations.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'd be careful with integrations on Spike systems. Stern recommends against it: Spike power system isn't as robust as previous generations.

So does this mean be careful plugging in anything extra to the game? Or something specific we should not integrate? There are so many mods sold currently that plug into these, are the specific things they do/don't do to prevent the spike systems from having issues? Also what kind of issues do people experience from it? I didn't realize and I've added lit mods to Star Wars and planned on adding them to Deadpool and Munsters very soon.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

So does this mean be careful plugging in anything extra to the game? Or something specific we should not integrate? There are so many mods sold currently that plug into these, are the specific things they do/don't do to prevent the spike systems from having issues? Also what kind of issues do people experience from it? I didn't realize and I've added lit mods to Star Wars and planned on adding them to Deadpool and Munsters very soon.

As it’s been described to me, Spike boards use up all the available power headroom, so mods increase the risk of a problem. This is particularly dumb of Stern because low power is one of the things that directly contributes to an solid state media like an SDCard to become corrupt

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-diy-mods-all-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.