Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

U1 C2 rep.jpg
    IMG_6569 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6552 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6551 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6487 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6488 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6412 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6381 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

Lots of great show-me threads on pinside that both show off the great work of pinsiders as well as help others get the courage to do something. This thread is for board repair (something that I am relatively new to). If you had a board with bad battery damage, burnt areas, previously hacked repair -- show us what you did to get the board working again!

#2 7 years ago

Here is one of my first big board repairs. Stern MPU-200.

IMG_6381 (resized).JPGIMG_6381 (resized).JPG

IMG_6412 (resized).JPGIMG_6412 (resized).JPG

IMG_6488 (resized).JPGIMG_6488 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

My next repair: battery leaked on the video display board of a Godzilla.

IMG_6487 (resized).JPGIMG_6487 (resized).JPG

IMG_6551 (resized).JPGIMG_6551 (resized).JPG

IMG_6552 (resized).JPGIMG_6552 (resized).JPG

IMG_6569 (resized).JPGIMG_6569 (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

Oh man that Godzilla board! Great thread idea. I'm a total newbie but I was able to replace two blown transistors on my LOTR recently. Felt like a major accomplishment

#6 7 years ago

Few weeks ago I got a call for a problem with a WhiteWater, Owner: "One coils doesn't work, I think it's the transistor".
    So went to his location and did several tests and found that all that is driven by data D0 on PDB was not working.
    On further inspection we decided that I would take the board home including CPU for external battery holder and GI header fix.

1. Corrosion at 12Vregulator Q2 + C2 and U1 has corroded D0 trace but also blanking is affected. C2 was jumpered with wire on solder-side.
    2. Removed components and looks like C2 was the source of the problems.
    3. After 1st cleanup a copper fragment was visible that was slammed into the circuit board. With backlight clearly visible that traces are gone.
    4. More cleaning and repaired traces.
    5. Sealed with UV harderner paint.
    6. Components in place en ready. (headers J115/120/121 done as well and installed external batterpack for CPU.)

on location new GI connectors and machine is up and running.

U1 C2 rep.jpgU1 C2 rep.jpg

#7 7 years ago

Awesome work as usual, zaza.

Quoted from zaza:

external battery holder

Have something against NVRAM?

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

Few weeks ago I got a call for a problem with a WhiteWater, Owner: "One coils doesn't work, I think it's the transistor".
    So went to his location and did several tests and found that all that is driven by data D0 on PDB was not working.
    On further inspection we decided that I would take the board home including CPU for external battery holder and GI header fix.
    1. Corrosion at 12Vregulator Q2 + C2 and U1 has corroded D0 trace but also blanking is affected. C2 was jumpered with wire on solder-side.
    2. Removed components and looks like C2 was the source of the problems.
    3. After 1st cleanup a copper fragment was visible that was slammed into the circuit board. With backlight clearly visible that traces are gone.
    4. More cleaning and repaired traces.
    5. Sealed with UV harderner paint.
    6. Components in place en ready. (headers J115/120/121 done as well and installed external batterpack for CPU.)
    on location new GI connectors and machine is up and running.

Excellent work and photos! Thanks for sharing.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Have something against NVRAM?

No, I have a NVRAM in my BttF and very happy with it. Here the owner asks me to put in an external battery holder so I did.

Quoted from lyonsden:

Excellent work and photos! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks and You're welcome, so once in a while I make pictures from board work and try to post them here.

#10 7 years ago

NVRAM is now part of my normal repairs I do for people when I go out to do repairs on a whole game. I don't even ask, I just do it and let them know they are battery free!

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

I have a NVRAM in my BttF and very happy with it.

I bet Shadow could use new a memory.

#12 7 years ago

Shadow has a batterypack somewhere inside the cabinet, in a plastic bag.

#13 7 years ago

Nice repairs, others can learn from this!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-board-repairs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.