Topic Stats

• 851 posts
  • 232 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 56 days ago by SYS6
  • Topic is favorited by 305 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240131_152547 (resized).jpg
    20240128_164459 (resized).jpg
    20240131_152422 (resized).jpg
    20240130_165912 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230402_184850470 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230402_184945013 (resized).jpg
    20230324_153058 (resized).jpg
    94E9923A-3498-4A6F-A601-4174D549C3DA (resized).jpeg
    16784495991371082421536381946223 (resized).jpg
    16784495222997389239688511419449 (resized).jpg
    16784494831847133851556812911399 (resized).jpg
    V3 (resized).jpg
    V2 (resized).jpg
    V1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230225_102126 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230225_102309 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 18.
    #401 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheWiz:

Here is what I use. I took the backboard off Fishtales so I could give a good cleaning. If I were to leave the backboard on I use an angle with holes and a piece of wood attached (to clamp to) to support from the bottom and secure it to the table with a couple of short screws underneath.[quoted image][quoted image]

Those are great, just got a set from Amazon!

#402 4 years ago

Some time ago I bolted a couple of 2x6s to the lift table so it supports the full length of the pin and It still fits under one. (I don't like lifting from just the particle board base). Then I got those bike repair mounts thanks to TheWiz post and now have a sturdy portable rotisserie.... Stripped a taxi playfield using it yesterday worked great.

pincart (resized).jpgpincart (resized).jpgCart_rotisserie1 (resized).jpgCart_rotisserie1 (resized).jpgtaxionrotisserie (resized).jpgtaxionrotisserie (resized).jpgcart_rotisserie2 (resized).jpgcart_rotisserie2 (resized).jpgcartunder (resized).jpgcartunder (resized).jpg

#404 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

(I don't like lifting from just the particle board base).

Nice tool and I understand, however, the two cross tie boards at the bottom of the cab take all of the stress.

#405 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Nice tool and I understand, however, the two cross tie boards at the bottom of the cab take all of the stress.

Maybe so, none of my B/W have more than one cross tie. Just behind the cash box.

#406 4 years ago

You shouldn't lift using the base panel. They're not meant to lift or bear the load of a 200+lb game!

Even if there are braces (sometimes there aren't), usually there is a 1/2" to 1" gap between the brace and the bottom panel (as you know because that's inevitably where every #^&%@ dropped screw wants to go)...

It is a TERRIBLE idea to flex the panel a half inch when it often has only 1/4" or less extra width locking into the side slots: you might crack the panel (remember, the manufacturers used whatever scrap / crap material was convenient for this non-structural part, so is it even in good shape to begin with?), or even pop the panel out. And sometimes the braces aren't too sturdy either: I've seen them loose (with short tenons and/or glue cracked from age), and it was not hard to imagine them buckling and popping out of the side walls. The braces support a small load from above. They're not meant to bear the full load of the game once the legs are off the floor. Maybe bearing the weight of a lifted game will be the thing that finally *makes* them loose. Do you feel lucky?

Always lift the cabinet side walls. You can slide the cart under from the side (it might take a couple tries to find the right center balance point as every game is different), or use boards to extend the cart platform width if inserting from the front.

#407 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

You shouldn't lift using the base panel. They're not meant to lift or bear the load of a 200+lb game!
    Even if there are braces (sometimes there aren't), usually there is a 1/2" to 1" gap between the brace and the bottom panel (as you know because that's inevitably where every #^&%@ dropped screw wants to go)...
    It is a TERRIBLE idea to flex the panel a half inch when it often has only 1/4" or less extra width locking into the side slots: you might crack the panel (remember, the manufacturers used whatever scrap / crap material was convenient for this non-structural part, so is it even in good shape to begin with?), or even pop the panel out. And sometimes the braces aren't too sturdy either: I've seen them loose (with short tenons and/or glue cracked from age), and it was not hard to imagine them buckling and popping out of the side walls. The braces support a small load from above. They're not meant to bear the full load of the game once the legs are off the floor. Maybe bearing the weight of a lifted game will be the thing that finally *makes* them loose. Do you feel lucky?
    Always lift the cabinet side walls. You can slide the cart under from the side (it might take a couple tries to find the right center balance point as every game is different), or use boards to extend the cart platform width if inserting from the front.

I do it all the time. Dozens of games and not one has had a problem. That includes the heaviest of games, such as caveman and STTNG.

Yes, the best way to support a game is by using the sidewalls, however as long as it's a solid cabinet to begin with, I think it's pretty much a non-issue.

#408 4 years ago

Maybe I need to quit buying wrecks

Still, I'd rather not chance it or give Murphy any more openings than he's already got on me. All it takes is "that one time"...

Besides, there's a reason the "professional", purpose-built pinball lift carts are long enough to lift the front and rear walls of the game, NOT just the bottom panel.

#409 4 years ago

I like using Pinball Skates. Lift the pin by it's legs which are designed to support the weight.
    Plus they are MUCH easier to store.
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PBS

#410 4 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

I like using Pinball Skates. Lift the pin by it's legs which are designed to support the weight.
    Plus they are MUCH easier to store.
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PBS

Those are pretty freakin' cool

1 week later
    #411 4 years ago

My machinist buddy made a bunch of these to remove stuck sleeves.

coiltool1 (resized).jpgcoiltool1 (resized).jpgcoiltool2 (resized).jpgcoiltool2 (resized).jpg
    #412 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

My machinist buddy made a bunch of these to remove stuck sleeves.[quoted image][quoted image]

I could've used one of those a week ago...was working on a game that had a stuck sleeve. I ended up just chopping it up into little pieces in order to get it out. What a pain that was.

#413 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I could've used one of those a week ago...was working on a game that had a stuck sleeve. I ended up just chopping it up into little pieces in order to get it out. What a pain that was.

I use a nut driver that fits

#414 4 years ago

Isn't a stuck sleeve an indicator that the coil has been overheated?

#415 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Isn't a stuck sleeve an indicator that the coil has been overheated?

Sometimes it is. And sometimes it’s an indicator of a coil that someone along the way thought needed to be “oiled” lol. I’ve had more stuck sleeves from wd40 than I have overheated coils

#416 4 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Sometimes it is. And sometimes it’s an indicator of a coil that someone along the way thought needed to be “oiled” lol. I’ve had more stuck sleeves from wd40 than I have overheated coils

Yep, the stuck sleeve I had had been greased/oiled. After cleaning the coil, a new sleeve slipped into the coil with no trouble.

#417 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

My machinist buddy made a bunch of these to remove stuck sleeves.[quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome idea! Would he consider selling a couple?

#418 4 years ago

At the recent VFW Show, we had a couple overheated coils. One woodrail Flipper to a bad EOS switch and the other due simply to Pinball Life "Hot" coil that overheated due to constant play (on POTC IIRC). Resistance still read fine so we just drill them out and replace the sleeve since the coil usually melts and bonds to the sleeve. Its either a 13 or 14 mm drill bit.

Always wear gloves when doing this in a machine.

#419 4 years ago

Here is my DIY tool called "Multi-Board"

I often need a little workspace on my Pinball machines, which has a good stand and does not move. So I decided to build this DIY board - with foam rubber and magnetic strips. you can stick and secure your screws and tools on the magnetic strip, use it as a stand/holder for the speaker panel and translite (so it doesnt move) and you can flip it for a mobile solder station.

update... installed 4 more neodym magnets to hold heavier tools or to magnetize screws, see last pic

cheers
    Chris
    2 (Small) (resized).jpg2 (Small) (resized).jpg3 (Small) (resized).jpg3 (Small) (resized).jpg4 (Small) (resized).jpg4 (Small) (resized).jpg5 (Small) (resized).jpg5 (Small) (resized).jpg6 (Small) (resized).jpg6 (Small) (resized).jpg7 (Small) (resized).jpg7 (Small) (resized).jpg

8 (Small) (resized).jpg8 (Small) (resized).jpg
    #420 4 years ago

Easy tool made from thin plastic cutting board. I think I bought a 5 pack fairly cheap at Menards. Just cut with scissors the size you need so parts won't fall into the body of a machine. It's thin enough to fit under the Jones plugs on EM games.

cutting (resized).jpgcutting (resized).jpgIMG_2516 (resized).JPGIMG_2516 (resized).JPGIMG_2514 (resized).JPGIMG_2514 (resized).JPG
    #421 4 years ago

Here is something I made for my other hobby that I enjoy very much. I made this to dispense 3 different speed fuses for timing my fireworks show. It reduces errors and speeds up setup time on the 4th.

IMG_20190420_092041 (resized).jpgIMG_20190420_092041 (resized).jpg
    #422 4 years ago

Here is the last part of last year's show.

#423 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Awesome idea! Would he consider selling a couple?

I'll ask him

#425 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

I'll ask him

I bet he’d sell several of them. I’d take one if he is selling them

#426 4 years ago

I’d like one too, since we're placing an order.

#427 4 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

I’d like one too, since we're placing an order.

I needed one of these tonight. Put me on the list.

It is one more of those, "Here, take my money" pinball deals that you just have to have.

#428 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

I have a bunch of these stainless 1/2" coil sleeve removers for sale. Two for $20 including shipping. E-transfer to [email protected] with your address. Please allow 2 weeks as I live in Canada. Thanks guys.

IMG_0862 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_0862 (1) (resized).jpg Added over 5 years ago:

Oops I guess not too many people use e-transfer. You can pay me at paypal.me/pinparts Thanks.

#429 4 years ago

What is e-transfers, paypal? Kinda dumb on technology so sorry for a dumb question.

#430 4 years ago

Cut the top off a mini-post and thin the shaft a bit...

shop-15 (resized).jpgshop-15 (resized).jpg

Use the point to apply rings to non-pointy posts...

shop-16 (resized).jpgshop-16 (resized).jpg

Lubricating the point and shaft with a bit of Windex from a Q-tip also helps.

#431 4 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

What is e-transfers, paypal? Kinda dumb on technology so sorry for a dumb question.

Not dumb question. I have never heard of e-transfers, either

#432 4 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

Yes I’m curious too

#433 4 years ago

I love pin skates, particularly when on my padded carpets. They work where the Escalera doesn't.

IMG_1074 (resized).JPGIMG_1074 (resized).JPG

Except for one bit about them. I can never seem to press with with pressure with my fat fingers to get those damn nubs to go in enough. Nubs, I hate you.

So I made a stupid tool. A button masher, with a bigger surface for my thumb, that'll automatically go to the right depth (and no more, and no less). The washer at the end helps set that depth to match the thickness of the square tubing the skates are made from. It's a 5/16's bolt, which has just enough of a rounded scoop at the end, to hold the nub. That big washer makes it so I can also grab it from around different angles with my fingers, when my thumb is less handy.

IMG_1076 (resized).JPGIMG_1076 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1077 (resized).JPGIMG_1077 (resized).JPG

When I get bored, I'll probably see if I can do it without the pair of nuts; and just grind the bolt down to the right size, and make sure the the end is bowled out slightly using the Dremel.

#434 4 years ago

E-transfer is a Canadian thing only in N.A.

@PinballJunkie

#435 4 years ago

Sorry guys. Edited post to send to paypal.me/pinparts Thanks.

#436 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballJunkie:

Sorry guys. Edited post to send to paypal.me/pinparts Thanks.

Well, that's not to work, either. Paypal demands an email address.

I'm trying.

#437 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, that's not to work, either. Paypal demands an email address.
    I'm trying.

I believe the email address he provided for e-transfer is also the one used for paypal. I did a paypal transaction up to the point of sending money and it was working up to that point. Wasn't 100% sure so did not proceed.

#438 4 years ago

So it's Frank Rauche e-mail [email protected]. paypal.me/pinparts I received 2 payments already so I know it's working.

Sorry for the confusion. My 1st time doing this.

Cheers, Frank

#439 4 years ago

So it's Frank Rauche e-mail [email protected]. paypal.me/pinparts I received 2 payments already so I know it's working.
    Cheers, Frank

Ok. I used your email address with out the paypal.me stuff. That seems to have worked. At least Paypal says I have paid you.

Thank you very much.

#440 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Ok. I used your email address with out the paypal.me stuff. That seems to have worked. At least Paypal says I have paid you.
    Thank you very much.

I just sent payment using the paypal.me stuff but accidentally put my name in the recipients box. It should all work out, Hopefully.
    Seth.

#441 4 years ago

I did not receive it unless it was Troxel Repair in which case there was no name or address attached? Everyone else is fine.
    Frank

#442 4 years ago

Recieved Cottonm4. Thankyou!

#443 4 years ago

I did not receive it unless it was Troxel Repair in which case there was no name or address attached? Everyone else is fine.
    Frank

Troxel Repair would be me . My address not come through? Thanks for selling these!

#444 4 years ago

I sent over a payment and emailed you, woot!

#445 4 years ago

Interac e-transfer only works in Canada, send money from your online banking account

receiver needs a password to drop it into their bank account

no banking info changes hands

Yes I’m curious too

#446 4 years ago
    Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

Interac e-transfer only works in Canada, send money from your online banking account
    receiver needs a password to drop it into their bank account
    no banking info changes hands

Sounds pretty interesting. I sent the payment through PayPal. I can’t count how many times I could have used that tool

#447 4 years ago

i tried to use it to send USD to a pinhead in the USA, that's how i know it only works in Canada

better than paypal and no fees, butt simple

Sounds pretty interesting. I sent the payment through PayPal. I can’t count how many times I could have used that tool

#448 4 years ago

Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

i tried to use it to send USD to a pinhead in the USA, that's how i know it only works in Canada
    better than paypal and no fees, butt simple

And what company would you suspect of lobbying the U.S. Congress to not allow a program like this to enter the U.S. ? Can't have something like this cut in on the action.

#449 4 years ago

Cheers, Frank

Money sent. Looking forward to getting this very useful looking tool! Had to tear out sleeves too many times to count!

#450 4 years ago

LOL, yeah I suspect I know which company you are thinking of . . .

Quoted from cottonm4:

And what company would you suspect of lobbying the U.S. Congress to not allow a program like this to enter the U.S. ? Can't have something like this cut in on the action.

There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-and-tell-your-diy-homemade-tools/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.