Topic Stats

• 851 posts
  • 232 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 79 days ago by SYS6
  • Topic is favorited by 305 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240131_152547 (resized).jpg
    20240128_164459 (resized).jpg
    20240131_152422 (resized).jpg
    20240130_165912 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230402_184850470 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230402_184945013 (resized).jpg
    20230324_153058 (resized).jpg
    94E9923A-3498-4A6F-A601-4174D549C3DA (resized).jpeg
    16784495991371082421536381946223 (resized).jpg
    16784495222997389239688511419449 (resized).jpg
    16784494831847133851556812911399 (resized).jpg
    V3 (resized).jpg
    V2 (resized).jpg
    V1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230225_102126 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230225_102309 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 18.
    #301 6 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

what him say? remove roll pin from plunger? need a pic...
    -mof

Do you also use a punch tool with it, or is that peg small enough to get roll pins of all sizes?

#302 6 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

-mof

I definitely thought for these for sure:

flipper (resized).jpgflipper (resized).jpg

#303 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Do you also use a punch tool with it, or is that peg small enough to get roll pins of all sizes?

The peg needed to be ground a bit to fit typical rollpin hole.

IMG_0513 (resized).JPGIMG_0513 (resized).JPG

#304 6 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

-mof

Roll pins hold linkers to plungers. Sometimes the linker breaks and this tool makes it easy to remove the roll pin, replace the linker, and reset the roll pin.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1049
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=253

pbl_515-6304-03 (resized).jpgpbl_515-6304-03 (resized).jpg

pbl_a-15847 (resized).jpgpbl_a-15847 (resized).jpg

#305 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It works for most of the standard roll pins found in plungers for slings, upkickers, etc.

#306 6 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

The peg needed to be ground a bit to fit typical rollpin hole.

The one to which I linked needed no peg modification. Works like a champ.

#307 6 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Red arrows point to roll pin. Lots of plungers besides flippers, have them in a pinball machine.

LTG : )

flippercam (resized).jpgflippercam (resized).jpg

#308 6 years ago

This is a roll pin. Also called a spring pin. For rebuildable joints. Drives in. Drives out.

shopping (resized).jpgshopping (resized).jpg

#309 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

This is a roll pin. Also called a spring pin. For rebuildable joints. Drives in. Drives out.

Plunger's Creed
    This is my roll pin. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My roll pin is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    Without me, my roll pin is useless. Without my roll pin, I am useless. I must fire my roll pin true. I must shoot straighter than my competitor who is trying to beat me. I must shoot my shot before he makes the shot. I will…
    My roll pin and I know that what counts in pinball is not the shots we fire, the noise of our coil, nor the dust we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit…that jackpot.

(My apologies to the US Marine Corps for modifying their doctrine.)

#310 6 years ago
    Quoted from lyonsden:

Plunger's Creed
    This is my roll pin. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My roll pin is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    Without me, my roll pin is useless. Without my roll pin, I am useless. I must fire my roll pin true. I must shoot straighter than my competitor who is trying to beat me. I must shoot my shot before he makes the shot. I will…
    My roll pin and I know that what counts in pinball is not the shots we fire, the noise of our coil, nor the dust we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit…that jackpot.
    (My apologies to the US Marine Corps for modifying their doctrine.)

This is my roll pin, This is my flipper.
    This is for plungers, This is for fun.

(My apologies to fans of Fulll Metal Jacket.)

#311 6 years ago

I don't get it, how does that tool work on this?

rolling pin (resized).jpgrolling pin (resized).jpg

#312 6 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

I don't get it, how does that tool work on this?

Buy another pin and you'll find out.

LTG : )

84dbb62052e7fb5f0ede83689261fd38 (resized).jpg84dbb62052e7fb5f0ede83689261fd38 (resized).jpg

#313 6 years ago

Well, now it all makes sense!

#314 6 years ago

Rule number 1 about pin club : you do not give your spouse a roll pin.

Rule number 2 about pin club : you do not give your spouse a roll pin!

Rule number 3 about pin club :

.....I'll spare you the rest. Lol.

Not nearly as good as above, it's just what popped into my head after LTGs pic.

#315 6 years ago

I just made this little table. Great for working on the underside of a playfield. It works on standard and widebody pins and also stands level on a floor. Glued together with a biscuit joiner.

IMG_5591 (resized).jpgIMG_5591 (resized).jpg

IMG_5593 (resized).jpgIMG_5593 (resized).jpg

IMG_5594 (resized).jpgIMG_5594 (resized).jpg

IMG_5595 (resized).jpgIMG_5595 (resized).jpg

IMG_5596 (resized).jpgIMG_5596 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #316 6 years ago

Here is a 14 list of tools, many of which I have used over the years in a pinch while fixing games, especially things like using rubber bands for screwdriver torque grip for pulling stripped screws and multiple use dot magnets.

Somebody made a great video showcasing quite a few of them.
    I can take no credit, but is worth your time to watch.

Sometimes simpler is better.

5 months later
    #317 6 years ago

Pinball Lift

Credit for the basic idea goes to Pinsider PK2 at...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-move-a-pinball-machine-alone/page/2#post-3845705

Here's my version. If you don't want to lift the back of a game, this seems like a pretty good compromise between bulk and ease of use. Details at...

http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/lift/

15 (resized).jpg15 (resized).jpg

16 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg

17 (resized).jpg17 (resized).jpg

18 (resized).jpg18 (resized).jpg

19 (resized).jpg19 (resized).jpg

#318 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffZee:

Pinball Lift
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-move-a-pinball-machine-alone/page/2#post-3845705
    Here's my version. If you don't want to lift the back of a game, this seems like a pretty good compromise between bulk and ease of use. Details at...

This is a crazy cool idea! I always try to lower the pin down on my cart and have runaway cart issues. The rocker component of this design would eliminate that issue.

#319 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffZee:

Pinball Lift

That is a very clever approach

3 weeks later
    #320 6 years ago

Haven't seen this here yet.
    Save some fuses while figuring out a short.

IMG_20180102_231017 (resized).jpgIMG_20180102_231017 (resized).jpg

#321 6 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

They have been on here in other posts. I have several and love them. I just have not found out where to buy them cheaply. If I could find a cheap supply I would replace all of my fuses with them.

Where are you buying yours from, please?

#322 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

They have been on here in other posts. I have several and love them. I just have not found out where to buy them cheaply. If I could find a cheap supply I would replace all of my fuses with them.
    Where are you buying yours from, please?

Amazon

#323 6 years ago

In Canada there is a store called 'Sayal Electronics' that stocks them

#324 6 years ago

After one too many instances of forgetting to remove the balls from the trough before flipping up the playfield, I made this $0.05 tool.

Pinball Trapper Keeper:

1. Using plastic perforated hanging tape (Plumbing supply, $5 for 25ft x 0.75in) and 1 zip tie
    2. Created a ~3in diameter loop and zip tied in place
    3. Insert the loop into the shooter lane at the ball trough exit
    4. Spring tension retains the balls in the trough

Such an cheap/easy solution for a pain in the ass task.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#325 6 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

After one too many instances of forgetting to remove the balls from the trough before flipping up the playfield, I made this $0.05 tool.
    Pinball Trapper Keeper:
    1. Using plastic perforated hanging tape (Plumbing supply, $5 for 25ft x 0.75in) and 1 zip tie

Great DIY tool. Now what would you recommend to help someone to remember to remove it before putting the glass back on (which is my problem when doing something similar with a paper towel wad I shove in the eject hole?)

#326 6 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

How does it work to help find the short?

#327 6 years ago
    Quoted from bbhenry2000:

How does it work to help find the short?

It doesn't

Just means a you can blow the fuse a ton of times while you try to find the short without running out of fuses

#328 6 years ago
    Quoted from lyonsden:

Great DIY tool. Now what would you recommend to help someone to remember to remove it before putting the glass back on (which is my problem when doing something similar with a paper towel wad I shove in the eject hole?)

Attach one of these.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#329 6 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

Pinball Trapper Keeper:

That’s a great idea! I generally use a flipper rubber for this, but occasionally if you don’t get it in there just right, a ball or two will still escspe

#330 6 years ago

I had to have a chip socketed & replaced & instead of installing the chip, they gave me a loose one. I hate rolling them on the table, so I took my digital vernier, measured the distance between the outside edges of the socket holes & set it to zero. I then upped the tension, put the chip between the arms of the vernier & tightened it until it read zero. The chip popped right in. And a 74xx fits perfectly in the arms.
    I also had to install some c-clips but they were too small to fit my pliers, so I used the inside arms to spread the clip & slide it over the shaft.
    Not homemade, but I thought they were clever uses.

#331 6 years ago

I use a piece of styrofoam wrapped with masking tape to keep the balls from falling out when lifting the play field. Now I need to make it taller so the play field glass will not install until I remove it from the shooter lane.

IMG_5629 (resized).JPGIMG_5629 (resized).JPG

#332 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I use a piece of styrofoam wrapped with masking tape to keep the balls from falling out when lifting the play field. Now I need to make it taller so the play field glass will not install until I remove it from the shooter lane.

Well that’s the best one yet!

#333 6 years ago

I ran into a problem when rebuilding all the System 6 boards for my Blackout where the connectors were trimmed too close to the board. It made it almost impossible to properly re-solder. The 40-pin connectors between the boards were all replaced with new connectors. For the rest I used this tool I designed to fix the connectors. I remove them all, put this spacer underneath, then lightly press them in the vise to push just a tiny bit (1/32") through the shell. It lines up all the pins nicely and only takes a few seconds for each connector. I use a vice with flat jaws and a business card taped to each side. That keeps the pins from flexing when tightening.

Once done I go over the solder side of the pins with a wire brush on the dremel and they are ready to install. There is just enough exposed to make a nice solder filet for a strong joint. Doesn't affect where the connectors plug onto the board at all.

ConnectorFix (resized).jpgConnectorFix (resized).jpg

#334 6 years ago
    Quoted from willbeEM:

In Canada there is a store called 'Sayal Electronics' that stocks them

Do you have a part number? I work by one and could use some.

#335 6 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Do you have a part number? I work by one and could use some.

Tried to look it up but no pictures, just go in the store and look for the fuses, lots to choose from. If you have never gone in before give yourself an hour to look around they have a ton of good stuff, spring kits, heat shrink, soldering tools, switches, buttons...

#336 6 years ago
    Quoted from willbeEM:

Tried to look it up but no pictures, just go in the store and look for the fuses, lots to choose from. If you have never gone in before give yourself an hour to look around they have a ton of good stuff, spring kits, heat shrink, soldering tools, switches, buttons...

They know me by name at my local Sayal I know where the fuse aisle is, just want to be sure on the part, thanks for looking .

2 months later
    #337 6 years ago

If you look carefully you can see that my plastic fuse puller is distorted from trying to remove some fuses that were locked in some very tight clips.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 12.13.55 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-04-11 at 12.13.55 AM (resized).png

Surely, there has to be something better this POS piece of plastic. And a light bulb moment happened. Several weeks prior I was at an auction and bought a box of old tools. There was a funny looking set of pliers in that box. And I thought they might be good fuse pullers. I was not wrong.

These pliers are vintage, or old, or antique. Pick your poison. They are used pliers. They are old. Made by Utica Tool company that used to make all kinds of pliers. These funny looking pliers were used by telephone company employees for working with cables. That is all I could find about them.

Their part number is: 319-B. I managed to find a pair on Ebay I bought as a gift for a friend. Utica 319-B

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 12.17.54 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-04-11 at 12.17.54 AM (resized).png

They lock onto a fuse and won't let go. The jaw size is just right for grasping a fuse and pulling it without breaking the glass.

I am thinking of you have a torch that you could take a pair of needle nose pliers and bend and shape them into fuse pulling pliers like this pair. I suppose that since they are metal that perhaps you could get shocked but I am hard pressed to see how you could get shocked by pulling a fuse in a pinball machine.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 12.18.20 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-04-11 at 12.18.20 AM (resized).png

#338 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

plastic fuse puller

Mine looks like that, I'm not sure how or why it still works.
    -mof

#339 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I suppose that since they are metal that perhaps you could get shocked but I am hard pressed to see how you could get shocked by pulling a fuse in a pinball machine.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the generation eating tide pods and snorting condoms. (Or the ones that came before them!)

Shawn

1 week later
    #340 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Never underestimate the stupidity of the generation eating tide pods and snorting condoms. (Or the ones that came before them!)
    Shawn

If you are not accident prone and can handle basic tasks like pulling fuses, a pair of these curved nose pliers have been going begging on Ebay. I got my friend's pair for $11.00 shipped.

ebay.com link: Vintage Utica KS 6305 319 B Special Unique Rare Pliers Tool Excellent

#341 5 years ago

I have a ton of microfiber cloths on hand at any given time, I just wedge one of those in the shooter to keep balls from spilling out.

#342 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Surely, there has to be something better this POS piece of plastic. And a light bulb moment happened. Several weeks prior I was at an auction and bought a box of old tools. There was a funny looking set of pliers in that box. And I thought they might be good fuse pullers. I was not wrong.
    These pliers are vintage, or old, or antique. Pick your poison. They are used pliers. They are old. Made by Utica Tool company that used to make all kinds of pliers. These funny looking pliers were used by telephone company employees for working with cables. That is all I could find about them.
    Their part number is: 319-B. I managed to find a pair on Ebay I bought as a gift for a friend. Utica 319-B

Just bought a pair of these I found on eBay as soon as I saw your post, he/she accepted my 12.00 offer. Thanks! I’m throwing away my plastic pullers when i get home!

#343 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

Just bought a pair of these I found on eBay as soon as I saw your post, he/she accepted my 12.00 offer. Thanks! I’m throwing away my plastic pullers when i get home!

Cool. After you try them, come back and tell us how you like them.

#344 5 years ago

Here is something I came up with to help with re-pinning connector wafers. Sometimes getting the old pins out of a wafer calls for a third hand: One hand to hold the wafer; One hand to poke at the connector pin's release point; And a third hand to pull on the wire.

Get a couple small finishing nails and nail them into a wooden board. Anchor the board to something solid. And hook the wafer on the nails. Tape it down if you need to.

Now you only need two hands. One to poke the release point and one to pull the wire.

It is not a necessary tool but it makes the job easier. And it is cheap.

IMG_6435 (resized).JPGIMG_6435 (resized).JPG

IMG_6430 (resized).JPGIMG_6430 (resized).JPG

#345 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Here is something I came up with to help with re-pinning connector wafers. Sometimes getting the old pins out of a wafer calls for a third hand: One hand to hold the wafer; One hand to poke at the connector pin's release point; And a third hand to pull on the wire.
    Get a couple small finishing nails and nail them into a wooden board. Anchor the board to something solid. And hook the wafer on the nails. Tape it down if you need to.
    Now you only need two hands. One to poke the release point and one to pull the wire.
    It is not a necessary tool but it makes the job easier. And it is cheap.

Nice idea, I like it

1 week later
    #346 5 years ago

My pcb board holder, a frame made from 2020 aluminium profiles with two adjustable profiles across for different sizes, easy to turn around with the handles and can handle quite large boards.
    Two large washer clamps on each side of the board with a small washer between of about same thickness as the board, hangs on the wall when not used.
    All parts except knob handle distances was bought from the shelf.
    Solder holder is home made as well.
    20180503_095246 (resized).jpg20180503_095246 (resized).jpg
    20180503_095316 (resized).jpg20180503_095316 (resized).jpg
    20180503_095400 (resized).jpg20180503_095400 (resized).jpg

#347 5 years ago
    Quoted from darkpinball:

My pcb board holder, a frame made from 2020 aluminium profiles with two adjustable profiles across for different sizes, easy to turn around with the handles and can handle quite large boards.
    Two large washer clamps on each side of the board with a small washer between of about same thickness as the board, hangs on the wall when not used.
    All parts except knob handle distances was bought from the shelf.
    Solder holder is home made as well.

That looks great. You need to make some kits to sell

#348 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lonzo:

A bill of materials list would be super nice to have.

#349 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

google search term: "aluminium t-nut profil"

http://www.modularcomponents.com.au/building-blocks/t-slot-nuts/

Cheap on ebay

#350 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lonzo:

Thank’s! but I don't have much time to do that, this is really easy for anyone to buy and assemble.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I'll make a list of parts and dimensions within a few days.

There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-and-tell-your-diy-homemade-tools/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.