Topic Stats

• 401 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Mageek
  • Topic is favorited by 195 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 306 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3307 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3300 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3276 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3189 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
    ad6c5e1aeb35fa18fd3313fc3df522f8218b03da (resized).jpg
    IMG_1210 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2510a (resized).JPG
    Pinball Cart (resized).JPG
    26627FD2-14F9-4887-BED3-6615E612A715 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    91618003-A0C5-420A-AFBF-03BC11F7786D (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20190321_173754 (resized).jpg
    20190320_210816 (resized).jpg
    Rotezatate2 (resized).jpg
    Rotezabeth (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

50 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 401 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
    #251 2 years ago

mine is not really home made so to speak, but designed it at home and got Shapeways to make the 2 parts and then finished it off with some bulb sockets and switch.

It is a 6vdc portable bulb tester (555 wedge, 44/47 socket and comet matrix lighting), led lit mod tester and great for comparing 2 x leds or bulbs next to each other for the 44/47's and lastly a torch and is portable because of the internal battery pack.

P1140497 (resized).JPG

P1140507 (resized).JPG

P1140502 (resized).JPG

P1140500 (resized).JPG

P1140504 (resized).JPG

2 months later
    #252 2 years ago

I built this years ago to help level games or change legs. It proved very useful. The top wooden part is a bit bulky and could be done better but you get the idea...

IMG_3850 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #253 2 years ago

Not really a tool, but a tray/table/bench which not only stands horizontal on a normal table - but also remains horizontal when placed on a pinball machine.

Stopping the need to balance screws, nuts etc on the lock down rail and also meaning I know exactly where I put the last screwdriver I used.

Screwed down the soldering iron holder as well.

Best of all, it took me less than hour to knock up.

20170206_224746_resized (resized).jpg

20170206_224818_resized (resized).jpg

20170206_224737_resized (resized).jpg

#254 2 years ago

I suggest some felt on the inside of your table so as to not scratch your games. Simple add-on to make it even better (if you have not done so already)

#255 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I suggest some felt on the inside of your table so as to not scratch your games. Simple add-on to make it even better (if you have not done so already)

It's got rubber on the inside, which not only stops any chance of scratching, also means it doesn't slide down the rails.

#256 2 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

I built this years ago to help level games or change legs. It proved very useful. The top wooden part is a bit bulky and could be done better but you get the idea...

I like your wooden frame combo with the small floor jack. I'd like to know just how you bolted the frame to the jack pad, please.

#257 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I like your wooden frame combo with the small floor jack. I'd like to know just how you bolted the frame to the jack pad, please.

The jack cup was held by a bolt that I removed and replaced with a longer one. This jack has the same setup I think.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-4-ton-floor-jack/p-00950523000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5#Imagezoom

#258 2 years ago

Like most have said, I have re-purposed tools... both are from Iphone repair kits... the plastic tools I find are great for removing ICs and the suction cup to aid in removal of backglass.

IMG_5007 (resized).JPG

IMG_5015 (resized).JPG

#259 2 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Like most have said, I have re-purposed tools... both are from Iphone repair kits... the plastic tools I find are great for removing ICs and the suction cup to aid in removal of backglass.

It seems like you would be likely to bend the legs using that as a lever to pop chips out of sockets. I'd recommend a proper chip puller--they're only a couple bucks on amazon.

As for the backglass, are you missing the lift channel? Gatecrasher sells the metal ones for classic Bally games:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gatecrashers-hardware-vids-review

[edit]: Oh, that's hardbody--that probably uses a plastic lift trim. One of these might work:

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=03-8229-26
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-6313-01

#260 2 years ago

I use two of them to essentially pull the chip out but had to use one had to take a photo.

#261 2 years ago

This is not a homemade tool but it comes in very handy at times so I thought I would let you all know about it. It is called a hand vise, or machinist hand vise. If you search Ebay for "hand vise" you can usually find one for $10 to $15 dollars. There are some for sale there now.

THere are different sizes. Mine measures 3.5 inches from the pivot pin to the tip of the jaws.

I found mine at a local auction and had never seen one before---but I knew I wanted it immediately.

If you have ever had to struggle with clamping a piece of metal in a pair of vise grips so you could file on it, you will appreciate having one of these units in your tool box. If you need to clamp a piece of metal and hold it tight with no slipping, a hand vise is what you need.

I needed to open up a hole in this pivot bracket and a hand vise is a perfect compliment to a Dremel tool.

IMG_3142 (resized).JPG

IMG_3144 (resized).JPG

#262 2 years ago

Not DYI also but did anyone get one of these from digi-key? Super cool PCB ruler with a bunch of design-guide stuff!

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#263 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

[edit]: Oh, that's hardbody--that probably uses a plastic lift trim. One of these might work:

Yep, completely broken, thanks for the source of replacements!

2 weeks later
    #264 2 years ago
    Quoted from Titan_Pinball:

Not DYI also but did anyone get one of these from digi-key? Super cool PCB ruler with a bunch of design-guide stuff!

I got one last month. Apparently I order too much stuff...

#265 2 years ago

I wasn't sure how much use I'd make of a tumbler so rather than buy a commercial unit I put one together using a car wiper motor and a piece of pvc pipe. Works really well. Also in the picture is my version of an ATX bench power supply.

IMG_5137 (resized).JPG

IMG_5138 (resized).JPG

#266 2 years ago

Is that bonus stuff they throw in, or something they sell?

#267 2 years ago

It just showed up in the mail all on its own. I'm not sure how they determined who they sent one to because I don't order that much from Digikey.

#269 2 years ago

This has saved me several headaches... Not exactly DIY, but using a hood prop to prop up the playfield, adjustable and fits nicely in my bag o tools...

ebay.com link » Lisle 45900 Universal 18 1 2 To 46 3 4 Telescoping Hood Prop

IMG_2714 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2716 (resized).JPG

#270 2 years ago
    Quoted from SYS6:

I wasn't sure how much use I'd make of a tumbler so rather than buy a commercial unit I put one together using a car wiper motor and a piece of pvc pipe. Works really well. Also in the picture is my version of an ATX bench power supply.

Nice one. This looks just like something my dad would have made. Every old appliance we ever had ended up dismantled, with motors, springs, screws put away for later use.

#271 2 years ago

Got sick of dropping screws into the inaccessible areas below my WH2O ramps and didn't like any of the pickup tools i could find, so i made my own. It's just a very small neodymium magnet jb-welded to a section of coated wire coat hanger, but i find it indispensable. Tiny, just the right amount of flexibility, and strong enough to pick up anything needed without getting annoying stuck to everything around it.

IMG_20170301_093053 (resized).jpg

#272 2 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

Got sick of dropping screws . . . i made my own . . . magnet . . . coat hanger

Good idea. I bought this for $10 shipped on Amazon, but I think I like yours better (skinnier).

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 2.31.02 PM (resized).png
    amazon.com link »

#273 2 years ago

Also not exactly diy, but I repurposed an auto repair cart as my pinball work station. Works great. You can adjust the surface height and it will slide right over the pinball cabinet while the playfield is up, and works great ad a soldering platform. I roll it away into another room to tidy up when I have guests over

20170305_094244 (resized).jpg
    20170305_094213 (resized).jpg
    20170305_094201 (resized).jpg

20170305_100322 (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #274 2 years ago

Sandpaper cone filled with hot glue and a stick for sanding out saucer holes.

20170416_085827 (resized).jpg

20170416_085947 (resized).jpg

I'm not quite done sanding and I had to add more filler to the left side, but the right side is taking shape.
    20170416_090109 (resized).jpg

#275 2 years ago

Yeah. I got one with my last order. ..it's cool

#276 2 years ago

Pinball silverballs only cost about a dollar. But if you have several pins and some of those are multi-ball pins, silverball costs can add up. I have had success polishing and buffing scratched balls with my buffing wheel but I wanted something else. I finally got that "something else" prototyped yesterday. It is modeled after a sphere making machine the rock hounds use to make spheres from rock.

To try and keep costs down I got three old drill motors for cheap at an auction. I polished my first ball yesterday and I did the polish without a proper polishing medium. Once I get the right polishing grit sorted out, I think I will be able to get a crappy looking ball to shine up in about 15 minutes.

Here is a youtube vid of someone's marble machine in action.

IMG_3733 (resized).JPG

#278 2 years ago

At $1/ball, how long until that contraption pays for itself?

Is enough material removed to change the diameter?

#279 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Pinball silverballs only cost about a dollar. But if you have several pins and some of those are multi-ball pins, silverball costs can add up. I have had success polishing and buffing scratched balls with my buffing wheel but I wanted something else. I finally got that "something else" prototyped yesterday. It is modeled after a sphere making machine the rock hounds use to make spheres from rock.
    To try and keep costs down I got three old drill motors for cheap at an auction. I polished my first ball yesterday and I did the polish without a proper polishing medium. Once I get the right polishing grit sorted out, I think I will be able to get a crappy looking ball to shine up in about 15 minutes.
    Here is a youtube vid of someone's marble machine in action.
    » YouTube video

Kudos on the interesting contraption, but...

Quoted from jwilson:

#280 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I have about $25.00 tied up. Not counting my time, of course. I currently have 4 pins working with 9 balls installed. If it proves to work like it is supposed to and I rotate the balls every three months, it will pay for itself in less than one year.

I have only polished one ball to try it out. I mixed up some Brasso metal polish, some Comet sink cleaner and some antifreeze as a polishing medium. It took about an hour to polish most of the cut marks off the ball surface. I need to find a different grit media for polishing a little faster.

I'll have to try it out for awhile to see how many times I can polish a ball before the ball can't be used anymore. One thing I am confident of is that it will never put a ball in an out-of-round condition. So far, I am happy with the way it performed yesterday.

#281 2 years ago

I like the creativity a lot. Can you post some close ups of the balls before and after? I'd be interested in seeing if you can get the balls to new. Have you tried some more heavily pitted balls? This will tall you how much is actually removed.

#282 2 years ago

I'd like to see a dial calliper measurement of the ball after this polishing!

#283 2 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

I like the creativity a lot. Can you post some close ups of the balls before and after? I'd be interested in seeing if you can get the balls to new. Have you tried some more heavily pitted balls? This will tall you how much is actually removed.

Yes. I think this iPhone will let me take good before/after closeups. I don't let my balls get heavily pitted. At most, they just get the light scratches and cuts. But what I might try for an extreme demo would be to drop a ball on my patio bricks a few times. I had a ball fly out of my buffing fixture and hit the bricks; I had to throw that one away.

I have been hand buffing and polishing them a few times now and I can work them to get them to "like new" appearance. But I question in my mind if getting them back to "like new" is necessary. I wonder if just polishing a ball enough to remove the high points of a scratch is all that is needed.

Quoted from jwilson:

I'd like to see a dial calliper measurement of the ball after this polishing!

Good idea. I have a pair of calipers and a supply of new balls to make some baseline measurements and do the before/after comparison.

I think I have found a rock polish shop where I can buy 1000 grit polishing powder for cheap. But I need to get them on the phone and ask some questions as to what will work best. The shop also has some very fine polishing powder but the price per pound is a bit more.

I'm leaving town tomorrow. It will a couple of weeks before I can get back to this.

#284 1 year ago

Perfect for my Apollo 13!

Except I will have to buy another 2 drills.

#285 1 year ago

What is the power consumption to run three drills for an hour? Or even for 20 minutes?

#286 1 year ago

I keep seeing new posts in this thread hoping someone has a new DIY tool to share, but I see we're still talking about the crazy tri-drill polisher contraption

#287 1 year ago

Tri-drill only works for tri-balls from Data East games

#288 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

Tri-drill only works for tri-balls

tribbles (resized).jpg

#289 1 year ago

That's the "trouble with tri-balls" I guess we need a multi-drill for Williams balls.

#290 1 year ago

I don't think necessarily what this thread had in mnd, but here is a router template I made to route the groove in shooter lane for my homebrew playfield. I used a 1" diameter round nose router bit for this, and the taper is set with the blocks on the bottom to match my 70s Gottlieb machines. simply clamped to the playfield and the bit set so it doesn't quite touch the playfield at the top end.

2017-04-22 19.21.50 (resized).jpg

2017-04-22 19.25.57 (resized).jpg

#291 1 year ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

I don't think necessarily what this thread had in mnd, but here is a router template I made to route the groove in shooter lane for my homebrew playfield. I used a 1" diameter round nose router bit for this, and the taper is set with the blocks on the bottom to match my 70s Gottlieb machines. simply clamped to the playfield and the bit set so it doesn't quite touch the playfield at the top end.

Clever approach, I like it

#292 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

we're still talking about the crazy tri-drill polisher contraption

I think you mean "the AWESOME tri-drill polisher contraption."

1 week later
    #293 1 year ago

I'm back with some before/after pics of a couple of silver balls I ran through my polishing contraption I found a lapidary supply house and bought one pound of 1000 grit polishing media.

I ran two balls through the polisher for 25 minutes. They cleaned up nice and came out smooth but the 1000 grit does not make them shine so I had to finish up with about a minute's time on the polishing wheel.

A new ball measured 1 1/16" which is 1.0625 with digital calipers. After smoothing them up and polishing they measured 1.059 for a loss in diameter of .0035, or three and one half thousandths. At that loss rate I could polish a ball five times and the loss would amount to 1/64". I don't think losing 1/64" inch in diameter would hurt game play but I have no way of knowing for sure except for trying this for awhile.

I may be rationalizing but, so far, I am happy with the results. If I can make a ball live for five times that gets the ball cost down to an equivalent of 20 cents.

Here is a pic of the machine, again.

1fdc67c9aa8328bc33c43ef254f249eac778e71c (resized).jpg

In this picture, both balls had about the same amount of surfaces scratches when starting out. This pic shows the right hand ball after it went through polishing procedure. The ball on the left has not been worked, yet. I wish I could get you better pics but this is as good as an iPhone 4S will do.

IMG_3910 (resized).JPG

In these two pics, the left hand ball has now been through the polishing routine. It is nice and shiny and will not tear my play fields up.

I can live with this. I load a ball into the machine, go some other things, come back 20-30 minutes later and repeat the process. For not too much effort I can keep an inventory of silver balls for cheap.

I would prefer to have some different motors to replace the drill motors I am using but motors are not cheap. I think the ideal motors for this would be windshield wiper motors as they are durable, quiet, and continuous duty motors, but the salvage yards around here all want $20.00 per motor, plus you would also need a transducer.

IMG_3916 (resized).JPG IMG_3915 (resized).JPG

#296 1 year ago

Well hung!

#297 1 year ago

Damnit! Now I want a tri-drill polisher contraption too!

3 weeks later
    #298 1 year ago

I modified with a dremel a bike chain tool to remove roll pins from plungers. Been using it for years.

IMG_5816 (resized).JPG

#299 1 year ago

You can get them on amazon: amazon.com link »

41Nfn3uzsSL._SY450_ (resized).jpg

#300 1 year ago
    Quoted from lyonsden:

roll pins from plungers

what him say? remove roll pin from plunger? need a pic...
    -mof

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 149.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    £ 31.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 401 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside