Topic Stats

• 851 posts
  • 232 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 84 days ago by SYS6
  • Topic is favorited by 305 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240131_152547 (resized).jpg
    20240128_164459 (resized).jpg
    20240131_152422 (resized).jpg
    20240130_165912 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230402_184850470 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230402_184945013 (resized).jpg
    20230324_153058 (resized).jpg
    94E9923A-3498-4A6F-A601-4174D549C3DA (resized).jpeg
    16784495991371082421536381946223 (resized).jpg
    16784495222997389239688511419449 (resized).jpg
    16784494831847133851556812911399 (resized).jpg
    V3 (resized).jpg
    V2 (resized).jpg
    V1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230225_102126 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20230225_102309 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 18.
    #201 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

If the coil sleeve is that hard to get out the coil might have heated up too much and may need replacing. If the new one does not slide right in then definitely replace since it has deformed.

I was just working on a game that had metal sleeves. They were quite snug, so I got them out with a tack hammer. Nylon sleeves then slipped into the coils with no problem.

#202 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I was just working on a game that had metal sleeves. They were quite snug, so I got them out with a tack hammer. Nylon sleeves then slipped into the coils with no problem.

Man I can't believe people are still pulling those metal ones out of games. I have not seen any in years, but some games sit that long stashed away. I hope people are not still using them from their parts bins. I think the last one I found was in a reimport T2 from Germany probably 10 years ago. Those can take the heat so probably just crud wedged them in tight. As long as the new one went in easy I wouldn't replace.

#203 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Man I can't believe people are still pulling those metal ones out of games.

I pulled them out of an unshopped game from 1975.

#204 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Man I can't believe people are still pulling those metal ones out of games....

Working through a row of '60s Williams pins. All of the p/f coils have metal sleeves - flippers, slings, kickers, pops - 10 or so per game. A few tap out easily. Most don't.

A lot of the stuck ones have residue from some sort of long-gone lubricant. Many are so worn that tapping on the end merely mashes the sleeve. Say "hi" to the saw. Wipe the sticky off with some solvent.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

... Nylon sleeves then slipped into the coils with no problem.

#205 8 years ago

I found a brass coil sleeve in the drop target assembly for my Shadow, which really surprised me. I wasn't able to get it out without destroying the coil, which was toasty anyway, so I just replaced the whole thing.

#206 8 years ago

I have an old music stand that works for light weight items. And I have two of those hospital tray things a hospital serves you your food on. THey are pretty handy with rolling wheels and the ability to raise and lower from waist high to chest high.

hospital_tray_#2_(resized).JPGhospital_tray_#2_(resized).JPG

hospital_tray_#1_(resized).JPGhospital_tray_#1_(resized).JPG

hospital_tray_#4_(resized).JPGhospital_tray_#4_(resized).JPG

#207 8 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I have an old music stand that works for light weight items. And I have two of those hospital tray things a hospital serves you your food on. THey are pretty handy with rolling wheels and the ability to raise and lower from waist high to chest high.
    hospital_tray_#2_(resized).JPG
    hospital_tray_#1_(resized).JPG
    hospital_tray_#4_(resized).JPG

Wow, that rolling tray table is a really good idea.

They aren't too expensive either--this was the first search result on google: http://www.amazon.com/EasyComforts-Rolling-Tray-Table/dp/B00HHB0ZSM

I'm not sure if that's the best or most price effective option, but it's a start.

#208 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

They aren't too expensive either--this was the first search result on google: amazon.com link »
    I'm not sure if that's the best or most price effective option, but it's a start.

I got mine at the auction for $8.00 each, otherwise I would have done something different.

#209 8 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I got mine at the auction for $8.00 each, otherwise I would have done something different.

Good deal.

Zip tie a power strip to it--then you would only have one cord to unplug when you move the tray around. That would basically turn it into a mobile repair station.

#210 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Good deal.
    Zip tie a power strip to it--then you would only have one cord to unplug when you move the tray around. That would basically turn it into a mobile repair station.

You have forced my hand. My little work station is still a work-in-progress and a lot cluttered. I have a lamp and a pan-a-vise. The wooden toolbox is Harbor Freight. I like your idea of zipping a power strip on.

Here it is raised up.

IMG_0659_(resized).JPGIMG_0659_(resized).JPG

And lowered.

IMG_0660_(resized).JPGIMG_0660_(resized).JPG

#211 8 years ago

This is certainly not a homemade tool but like the trays it is "re-purposed" so I thought I'd post it here:

I call it "Coated magnetic tray/screwdriver holder made for toolboxes from Harbor Freight" Runs about $10.

It is perfect if I am replacing bulbs or cleaning the playfield and I want a handy spot to put some lightweight stuff. It sticks nicely to older wide side-rails
    IMG_0382_(resized).JPGIMG_0382_(resized).JPG
    and even the thinner Stern rails (matches my AC/DC nicely )
    IMG_0384_(resized).JPGIMG_0384_(resized).JPG

as well as the coin door.
    IMG_0383_(resized).JPGIMG_0383_(resized).JPG

#212 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

They aren't too expensive either--this was the first search result on google: amazon.com link »

The problem with those things is the wide base.. would make it hard to get inbetween games

#213 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

The problem with those things is the wide base.. would make it hard to get inbetween games

Depending on how tightly packed the machines are in a row, yeah, you'd probably have to drag the machine out of the row a couple of feet first.

#214 8 years ago

Not exactly a tool, but more of a convenience. I cut some 2X8's to make a flat surface on other pins to use them as a table.

IMG_1674_(resized).JPGIMG_1674_(resized).JPG

IMG_1673_(resized).JPGIMG_1673_(resized).JPG

IMG_1675_(resized).JPGIMG_1675_(resized).JPG

#215 8 years ago
    Quoted from JeffZee:

I posted this a few days ago, but then I remembered this existing thread and realized I should have put it here in the first place... Sometimes I like to pull a Sys-11 playfield off its pivot bolts to work on something at the back of the playfield. I made these U-shaped blocks to support the front which just slip over the side rails. They also work on classic Bally games.
    shop-01.jpg
    shop-02.jpg
    2015-11-25-02-blocks.JPG

From your two pics,

05a99a481cec67927facdab9209b628d13c68200_(resized).jpg05a99a481cec67927facdab9209b628d13c68200_(resized).jpg
    e8f9fbbdcb7a1d07ff14b64f95b524934f2d628c_(resized).jpge8f9fbbdcb7a1d07ff14b64f95b524934f2d628c_(resized).jpg

I made up a couple of pairs after reading your post. They fit my Sterns. Very handy. Thanks for sharing.

#216 8 years ago

wow you guys have some really cool ideas

#217 8 years ago

Not really "homemade" as much as up-cycled for a different purpose:

BulbCovers_(resized).jpgBulbCovers_(resized).jpg

On1_(resized).jpgOn1_(resized).jpg

I made a post about them here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gics-ghetto-cycled-backglass-bulb-color-change-tester-thingies

#218 8 years ago

My homemade lifter and rotisserie

IMG_20140827_181652_057_(resized).jpgIMG_20140827_181652_057_(resized).jpg

#219 8 years ago

How does the lifter work? Is it a car jack?

Here's my version of a rotisserie. It consists of two, Eighteen inch triangles of angle iron bolted to my bench and pieces of an old car roof rack attached on the vertical center point end to hold the play field I'm working on. It's not the most user friendly but has sufficed so far. Best part is having the bench surface underneath to hold the ridiculous piles of tools and parts that I manage to accumulate every time I do something.

DSCF0624_(resized).JPGDSCF0624_(resized).JPG

rotiss_(resized).jpgrotiss_(resized).jpg

#220 8 years ago

Yep. Just a scissor car jack mounted on a 2x4 that fits where the notches are. Made a removable platform with padded 2x4s to go between the machine and lift.

1 week later
    #221 8 years ago

Power supply disconnects for testing/repairing MPUs at the bench. Basic but very helpful. I like having a label-maker for these types of things.

2016-04-23_13.43.00_(resized).jpg2016-04-23_13.43.00_(resized).jpg

#222 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Power supply disconnects for testing/repairing MPUs at the bench. Basic but very helpful. I like having a label-maker for these types of things.
    2016-04-23_13.43.00_(resized).jpg

I find those regulated PS wired into pins all the time!

#223 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I find those regulated PS wired into pins all the time!

I kinda think it isn't a bad idea in some pins!

#224 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

I kinda think it isn't a bad idea in some pins!

LOL, I know what you mean.

I always see them in a pin the only needs a single cap or a new rectifier.

Pin power supplies are about the easiest thing on the face of the earth to troubleshoot and repair.

1 month later
    #225 7 years ago

I made a mod for my Big Game you all might be interested in. Since BG is a wide body it has a heavy play field to lift and support. Somewhere a few months ago I read where you should turn the sharp tip of the play field prop stick under as it has a habit of eating the play field and poking thru. I did that but it was not enough.

The play field sags like crazy when using the prop stick and I started using my vacuum cleaner hose wands to prop up the play field. That had problems, as well, so I came up with a permanent solution.

I went the the hardware store and bought some 3/4 inch copper plumbing tubing and came up with this for a play field prop. On the lower end is a unit made of plywood to hold the prop into position. To the under side of the play field I attached a PVC end cap with three screws.

It works like a charm. The play field has good solid support in the center and does not sag. I made it so the play field is lifted up more than with the factory prop. The play field is now lifted up higher and the prop stick is no longer in the way, which makes it easier to do work on the lower side.

It cost me about $15.00 to build. I had to drill two holes in the cabinet cross-support for the plywood and install three screws in the lower side of play field for the PVC end cap. Remove the end cap and the plywood and you will never know it was there.

I put these together with solder and a propane torch but you could just as easily use something like JB Weld to put the tubing together.

This has worked so well that I have made similar props for my two other pins. When they are not in use I just lay them on the bottom of the cab, however, I may make some yokes for them to lay in.

BIG GAME:

IMG_1082_(resized).JPGIMG_1082_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1083_(resized).JPGIMG_1083_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1086_(resized).JPGIMG_1086_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1085_(resized).JPGIMG_1085_(resized).JPG

These are pic of my Seawitch I have been working on.

IMG_1070_(resized).JPGIMG_1070_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1072_(resized).JPGIMG_1072_(resized).JPG

I'm still experimenting, but with the Seawitch set up, I can pull the play field all the way back and lean it one the prop instead of leaning it forward to rest on the back box. This allows me access to the lower front of the cab without having to be a contortionist.

Note the angle of the Seawitch play field when compared to the Big Game behind it.
    IMG_1074_(resized).JPGIMG_1074_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1075_(resized).JPGIMG_1075_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1078_(resized).JPGIMG_1078_(resized).JPG

And here is my latest pin I am working on. For this unit, I went with more of the gooseneck setup like I used on Big Game.

IMG_1591_(resized).JPGIMG_1591_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1593_(resized).JPGIMG_1593_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1592_(resized).JPGIMG_1592_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1594_(resized).JPGIMG_1594_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1596_(resized).JPGIMG_1596_(resized).JPG

#226 7 years ago

That looks like a lot of work to solve a problem that a hockey stick would, without doing permanent damage to your game.

#227 7 years ago

I like this solution. Does the trick and is solid.

#228 7 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I made a mod for my Big Game...

Looks like you can just slide your playfield forward on the lower rails and rest it on the head (with a little padding). No need for the elaborate prop thingy.

#229 7 years ago

Quick bench bracket:
    2016-06-03_17.25.16_(resized).jpg2016-06-03_17.25.16_(resized).jpg

#230 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

That looks like a lot of work to solve a problem that a hockey stick would, without doing permanent damage to your game.

Well, as I stated, I was using my vacuum cleaner wands which is probably similar to using a hockey stick, but it presented problems of having to wedge the wands onto a piece of play field hardware or a screw head and stability was lacking.

I'm not sure how installing three screws to the underside of the play field would be considered doing "permanent damage to the game" as I have installed several more plastic wire harness clamps than factory and all of those install with screws.

Quoted from pinster68:

Looks like you can just slide your playfield forward on the lower rails and rest it on the head (with a little padding). No need for the elaborate prop thingy.

I have done the resting the play field on the back box stuff. For me, the trouble with that is that I am not a tall person and if I need to work on the flippers then I have to employ the step stool so I can reach them.

#231 7 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm not sure how installing three screws to the underside of the play field would be considered doing "permanent damage to the game" as I have installed several more plastic wire harness clamps than factory and all of those install with screws.

If someday you sell it, the buyer might take issue with the modifications. Personally I try to preserve machines without putting more holes in them, but it's your machine.

#232 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

If someday you sell it, the buyer might take issue with the modifications. Personally I try to preserve machines without putting more holes in them, but it's your machine.

I didn't realize you screwed things into the cabinet earlier.

I'm with fantasy goat--I try to keep thing original. Unnecessary holes are ugly. I don't even like it when folks drill holes for free play buttons.

A better idea might have been to make a base that fit exactly inside the coinbox area that didn't shift around. Maybe even make it expandable to fit in different machines.

2 weeks later
    #233 7 years ago

Again, not so much as made, just repurposed.

It was originally a mat used in operating theatres to stick instruments to, so they don't end up on the floor (or in a patient). As it's magnetic is ideal for placing on the playfield, or neighbouring table so that items such as screws, nuts, washers, even tools can be easily found and won't roll away. Being rubber it also won't scratch the playfield or glass.

Mat_(resized).jpgMat_(resized).jpg

#234 7 years ago

^ I like that

2 weeks later
    #235 7 years ago

While not actually a pin tool, I made a handy storage case for my multitude of jigsaw blades. I repurposed the inside of my dad's old syringe case with mirror tape as backing, then stuck magnetic strips over them. To prevent the blades from sticking to each other when closing the case, I place trimmed card stock (from one of the jigsaw packages!) in between. I ran out of magnetic strips, so the blades are bunched together like sardines until I get more. I placed it upside down as a test, and so far it holds great!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#236 7 years ago

I downloaded this but the spreadsheet makes no sense to me. Could you possibly offer a How To on using it?

2 weeks later
    #237 7 years ago

Very low tech but solves the problem of having no jack to move pins around the shop. Just some leftover cheap laminate flooring. Now they slide around easily on concrete with a moderate push.

2016-07-26_18.59.31_(resized).jpg2016-07-26_18.59.31_(resized).jpg

#238 7 years ago

I just slapped this together last night.

A stand for taking off the rear legs of a machine.

I was picking up a game from a basement, and I really didn't want to lug my lift cart down there.

It's not really a new design--I've seen a few folks at shows using this and similar designs. I just couldn't find any reference photos for one anywhere.

It's just a 2x4 cut down and nailed together into a capital "I" shape. It easily handled a Gottlieb System 3 machine, and those things are beasts.

20160731131135154_(resized).jpg20160731131135154_(resized).jpg

1 month later
    #239 7 years ago

Are you ready for this one?

Have you ever needed a new plastic washer to help your spinner get better rips?

You can make a new one in a few minutes... but how?

1. Grab a used plastic acorn
    2. Drop it in a wrench
    3. Turn on your belt sander -- buzz the top away
    4. Smooth out the corners and edges
    5. Finish sanding by hand
    6. Make sure center hole is how you want it. I cleaned mine out with a few "diamond-coated" drill bits

Enjoy...
    -mof

Before
    20160905_before (resized).jpg20160905_before (resized).jpg

After
    20160905_after (resized).jpg20160905_after (resized).jpg

#240 7 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Are you ready for this one?
    Have you ever needed a new plastic washer to help your spinner get better rips?
    You can make a new one in a few minutes... but how?
    1. Grab a used plastic acorn
    2. Drop it in a wrench
    3. Turn on your belt sander -- buzz the top away
    4. Smooth out the corners and edges
    5. Finish sanding by hand
    6. Make sure center hole is how you want it. I cleaned mine out with a few "diamond-coated" drill bits
    Enjoy...
    -mof
    Before

After

Would the washers PBR has work?

http://www.pbresource.com/spinner.html

#242 7 years ago

My Bally Display tester:
    IMG_0728 (resized).jpgIMG_0728 (resized).jpg

Controlled by a Microchip controller. I want to make another one to test Zaccaria Displays. Note: there was still a bug when I took the picture. Now it shows 1 2 3 4 5 6 (7) as well as 5 other test patterns.

One of my board testers, also based on a Microchip controller. This one is for testing Gottlieb driverboards. I made similar testers for Bally boards as well.
    IMG_0727 (resized).jpgIMG_0727 (resized).jpg

Some tools I used for repairing Atari Gen 1 CPU boards:
    IMG_3064 (resized).jpgIMG_3064 (resized).jpg

IMG_3067 (resized).jpgIMG_3067 (resized).jpg

And this is a brilliant one when removing the legs at the back.....

IMG_3392[1] (resized).jpgIMG_3392[1] (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #243 7 years ago

One of my biggest pet peeves is when all the bottles of Novus, or playfield wax I use, the squirt caps get clogged due to dried up product.

I always need to find a small piece of wire, which if not sturdy enough can't break the clog, and if sturdy enough, tends to be too big.

Then one day I was shopping out a game, and had a broken wedge base lamp socket from a pop bumper I was fixing. I realized the remaining leg was just the right size, so I cut a the end to a point, and voila! No more clogged bottles!

Don't have a name for it, open to suggestions though.

Plug buster
    No fuss Novus bottle reamer
    the WEDGIE

DSC08239 (resized).JPGDSC08239 (resized).JPG

DSC08240 (resized).JPGDSC08240 (resized).JPG

#244 7 years ago

Call it "The Vinny". Be famous.

#245 7 years ago

I call mine "dental floss"

A little mean great and Works great for cleaning the gunk from pivot points on EM stepper units.

2 weeks later
    #246 7 years ago

How about homemade parts? I needed to repair a Bally seven slot radial bottom switch actuator. I pulled a good one from the pin, made a mold. Repaired the broken one and made a spare. Voila!

sw05 (resized).jpgsw05 (resized).jpg

sw04 (resized).jpgsw04 (resized).jpg

sw03 (resized).jpgsw03 (resized).jpg

sw02 (resized).jpgsw02 (resized).jpg

#247 7 years ago

Bulb extractor / socket cleaner.
    Consists of a soft foam paint sponge with a hard core / rubber shooter rod tip with its tip cut off on a wooden dowel.
    Total cost $0.20
    Why pay money to someone else, when your inventions are cheaper and easier to use?

Extractor (resized).jpgExtractor (resized).jpg

#248 7 years ago

One of the most obvious tools.
    Bill made a great dolley, its primary downside was bulk and weight.

bca_pinball_dolly_2007-11-04_02_800w (resized).jpgbca_pinball_dolly_2007-11-04_02_800w (resized).jpg

#249 7 years ago

Built a Bally/Stern lamp driver tester and a Solenoid drive tester based on a write up from Leon Borre. I modified the solenoid driver tester to test the flippers - the 43 volts is supplied by 5 - 9 volt batteries, and I used an old computer power supply to provide the five volts. The LED boards are made from stuff I had around, same for the LEDs.

The cables are made from spare connectors and crimp pins, and store in the boxes when not used. Switches were Radio Shack, who did not have enough of the same style, but they work.

Very simple build - only thing I should have done differently is use a better box. These were pretty cheap - the box lid flexes when using the pushbutton.

Next step is to figure out how to test the high voltage circuitry on the solenoid driver boards -once done, then I would have a way to completely test that board.

DSCN2485 (resized).JPGDSCN2485 (resized).JPG

DSCN2488 (resized).JPGDSCN2488 (resized).JPG

DSCN2490 (resized).JPGDSCN2490 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #250 7 years ago

another use for novus #2, clearing old plastic headlight lens

20161119_103855 (resized).jpg20161119_103855 (resized).jpg

20161119_104223 (resized).jpg20161119_104223 (resized).jpg

20161119_104134 (resized).jpg20161119_104134 (resized).jpg

There are 851 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-and-tell-your-diy-homemade-tools/page/5?hl=pappyfromjersey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.