DIY "hex screw contact hubs."
I'm working on my first playfield swap -- a 1986 Williams High Speed.
I was not a fan of de-soldering hex nuts to remove wires (which burns the grey paint on the playfield as well), so that I could then solder-suck the hex screws some more to get them to fit. I'd say this is not an ideal set up. Perhaps it's a good cost-cutting move for the factory.
I went through my parts buckets. I realize I already have the solution in there...
I disassembled all the ones I have, removed the old solder, put two bends in it -- to get the solder-point up and off the PF, and cut them back almost enough to hide underneath the hex screw.
I can add 1-2-3 or however many I want, and that may allow me to solder/de-solder a connection while leaving a few others intact...
I installed one to show the value.
I'm sure dozens of you have already done this rather obvious trick, but for me, it was exciting to think of it and build a small arsenal of them.
Here's the before and after:
AFTER (coming together)
FINAL SOLUTION (cleaner)