Topic Stats

• 705 posts
  • 206 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 269 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FBF6F040-0E7E-4280-85CB-B26BC1C70598 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6716 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6711 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6710 (resized).jpg
    20210611_224440 (resized).jpg
    B5890D03-A333-4CDC-97FB-53D3B33CA43F (resized).jpeg
    4E1B2EA0-729F-4E0D-A6AD-ED3B0295120F (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20210518161358688.jpg
    20210518161335582.jpg
    20210518161325759.jpg
    20210518161245344.jpg
    20210518161238244.jpg
    20210518161232661.jpg
    4813DCD4-D61C-4A62-8A7D-439E5E75B09A (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6260 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

50 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 705 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.
    #651 80 days ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Nice tester, just bought one on ebay! Good job with the 3d printing the case!

Thank you so much Cheddar! I appreciate the kind words. Your Tester will ship tomorrow.

#652 80 days ago
    Quoted from Karetaker:

There is a lot of great stuff on this post. Here is one of mine. It is a Fuse & Bulb Tester. It tests bulbs and flasher including LED bulbs.

I bought one as well. I kicked myself for buying the Pinball Life tester when I could have easily made one. It's awkward with the wall wart power supply. Instead of building one I'll just buy another! This one looks much better.

#653 80 days ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I bought one as well. I kicked myself for buying the Pinball Life tester when I could have easily made one. It's awkward with the wall wart power supply. Instead of building one I'll just buy another! This one looks much better.

Thank you Shredso! I think you will find this a really useful tool to have on hand. Years ago I got tired of all the rigged testers I had so I made one of these for myself. I started making them and selling them and they are quite popular with a lot of great feedback.

Thanks again for the purchase I really do appreciate it.

#654 79 days ago
    Quoted from Karetaker:

Thank you Shredso! I think you will find this a really useful tool to have on hand. Years ago I got tired of all the rigged testers I had so I made one of these for myself. I started making them and selling them and they are quite popular with a lot of great feedback.
    Thanks again for the purchase I really do appreciate it.

I passed on your lamp tester for now. But I saw your bulbs remover and had to have one of those and placed an order for that. You need to put your bulb remover on this thread. Don't keep it such a secret.

#655 79 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I passed on your lamp tester for now. But I saw your bulbs remover and had to have one of those and placed an order for that. You need to put your bulb remover on this thread. Don't keep it such a secret.

Thank you cottonm4 I truly appreciate it. The Bulb Remover was made out of necessity. Long ago I bought 11 Bingo Pins and was shopping them. I had several store bought bulb removers and none of them worked as well as they should have. That gave birth to The Ultimate Bulb Remover. I have two more products that I am just about ready to launch. Maybe I'll take one picture of all of them and post it. But, I wanted to stay with the spirit of the post and not turn it into an advertisement for products I'm selling. That's why I didn't post any links to ebay or my Pinside store when I posted the Fuse & Bulb Tester.

#656 79 days ago

That's a pretty slick bulb tester package, and I like the fuse testing pads. Great concept.

A few years ago I made my own bulb tester out of a spare 6V wall wart, a plank of shim wood, and some salvaged sockets. It's ugly - actually more like hideous - but works great and I'm surprised how often I use it! I use it so much I should probably make it look nicer...

...however, one feature you should consider adding Karetaker is double sockets for 44 & 555. Because many LED bulbs are hard to tell apart: Warm? Cool? Sunlight? Dark or Light purple? 1 or 2 SMD brightness? You might think you can remember to distinguish them, but this can be surprisingly difficult. I finally added double sockets to my tester for comparing bulbs side by side - that simple hack made things far easier!

#657 78 days ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

That's a pretty slick bulb tester package, and I like the fuse testing pads. Great concept.

Thank you goingincirclez. I appreciate the input as well. Perhaps when I get through all the current projects on the table I will design another one with two sockets for comparison. As far as your tester being ugly my first one was as well. I'm not even sure where that one is anymore. They don't have to be pretty to work they just have to be pretty to sell.

#658 78 days ago
    Quoted from Karetaker:

Thank you goingincirclez. I appreciate the input as well. Perhaps when I get through all the current projects on the table I will design another one with two sockets for comparison. As far as your tester being ugly my first one was as well. I'm not even sure where that one is anymore. They don't have to be pretty to work they just have to be pretty to sell.

I agree that a second set of sockets is very desirable. However, for this to work you need to provide 6V, not 9V to the bulbs or they will burn out. Rethink the power supply and make this happen. I'd buy one then.

#659 78 days ago
    Quoted from JimWilks:

I agree that a second set of sockets is very desirable. However, for this to work you need to provide 6V, not 9V to the bulbs or they will burn out. Rethink the power supply and make this happen. I'd buy one then.

6V wouldn't be a problem. Now you guys got me thinking. Just so I'm clear you want to compare different types of LED bulbs correct?

I could make a Tester just for that. I can add it to the Tester I have but I'll have to experiment with it and make sure it would work for Flashers. If not I would have to add a toggle switch to flip between 6V & 9V. It wouldn't be a problem it just makes it more expensive. The Deluxe Model.

#660 78 days ago
    Quoted from Karetaker:

They don't have to be pretty to work they just have to be pretty to sell.

Overheard in bait shop as the bait sales guy was talking up different fishing lures: When collared about his sales pitch for the lures and asked what do the fish think of his sales tactics, he replied, " I don't sell to the fish".

#661 77 days ago
    Quoted from Karetaker:

As far as your tester being ugly my first one was as well. I'm not even sure where that one is anymore. They don't have to be pretty to work they just have to be pretty to sell.

LOL you were warned...

20210403_104638 (resized).jpg

20210403_104652 (resized).jpg

...but for the cost of upcycled/free it's lasted several years and hundreds of uses so I won't complain. Finding that adapter with the status LED was un unplanned bonus which I highly recommend: it's great to not wonder "is this thing on?" when investigating troublesome bulbs!

#662 77 days ago

LOL you were warned...
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    ...but for the cost of upcycled/free it's lasted several year and hundreds of uses so I won't complain. Finding that adapter with the status LED was un unplanned bonus which I highly recommend: it's very handy to not need wonder "is this thing on?" when investigating with troublesome bulbs!

Down and dirty. I like it.

#663 77 days ago

LOL you were warned...
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    ...but for the cost of upcycled/free it's lasted several year and hundreds of uses so I won't complain. Finding that adapter with the status LED was un unplanned bonus which I highly recommend: it's very handy to not need wonder "is this thing on?" when investigating with troublesome bulbs!

Good idea to add two sockets each. Didn't think of that when I tossed this tester together. Box includes an LED for that "power on" indication. Uses an I-phone charger that the phone connector broke.

light box 1 (resized).jpglight box 2 (resized).jpg
    #664 77 days ago

The double socket is really smart. I have dropped my bulb container a few too many times. Not fun sorting out all the bulbs that look very similar.

#665 77 days ago

LOL you were warned...

It's fantastic! I love it! LOL! I wouldn't change a thing about it.

#666 76 days ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Good idea to add two sockets each. Didn't think of that when I tossed this tester together. Box includes an LED for that "power on" indication. Uses an I-phone charger that the phone connector broke.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I love the fact that this holds its own cord!

#667 76 days ago

Here’s mine , I prefer not to have to plug it in. Made from battery holders pulled off of WPC cpu boards, tests wedge and bayonet lamps and flashers. I have doubles so I can compare 2 colours or cool white vs warm

22169B1B-DB14-4453-A6E0-49440F74FF29 (resized).jpeg
    #668 76 days ago

I made this years ago. It's a system 80 power supply and pop board tester. It has the benefit of being a flasher tester too Screenshot_20210404-092427 (resized).png

Note not a video just a screenshot

#669 76 days ago

System 1 version. Power supply tester onlyIMG_20190122_184556763~2 (resized).jpg

#670 76 days ago

Quick and dirty slide in holder so I could work on the rear of my LOTR PF without removal. Notched to clear a few goodies.

Screenshot_20210404-095807_Gallery (resized).jpg
    #671 76 days ago

hello,
    here's mine made with an old computer transformer and some old electronic cards

2020-05-28 19.28.01 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #672 67 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Quoted from Karetaker:

Thank you cottonm4 I truly appreciate it. The Bulb Remover was made out of necessity. Long ago I bought 11 Bingo Pins and was shopping them. I had several store bought bulb removers and none of them worked as well as they should have. That gave birth to The Ultimate Bulb Remover. I have two more products that I am just about ready to launch. Maybe I'll take one picture of all of them and post it. But, I wanted to stay with the spirit of the post and not turn it into an advertisement for products I'm selling. That's why I didn't post any links to ebay or my Pinside store when I posted the Fuse & Bulb Tester.

I got your bulb remover a few days ago. I appreciate you not wanting to turn this thread into an advertisement for your products. I get that. But if you had not of put your test box and movie of your bulb remover in this thread I would still be ignorant of it.

So, I am calling this a pubic service announcement.

I have the standard bulb remover---that does not work. And I have used fuel line hose from Autozone---that does not work.

Your bulb remover works ! It works with those hard to reach bulbs. It works with those bulbs that are buried down into the play field. It just works.

Guys, if you don't have one of these bulb removing sticks in your tool box you need to buy yourself one of these. Way cool tool.

The one on the left is now living in a trash can. The one on the right will always have a home in my toolbox.

IMG_6126 (resized).JPG

Thanks for making these. Have you considered contacting one of the pin parts suppliers to see if they would carry these?

#674 67 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I got your bulb remover a few days ago. I appreciate you not wanting to turn this thread into an advertisement for your products. I get that. But if you had not of put your test box and movie of your bulb remover in this thread I would still be ignorant of it.
    So, I am calling this a pubic service announcement.
    I have the standard bulb remover---that does not work. And I have used fuel line hose from Autozone---that does not work.
    Your bulb remover works ! It works with those hard to reach bulbs. It works with those bulbs that are buried down into the play field. It just works.
    Guys, if you don't have one of these bulb removing sticks in your tool box you need to buy yourself one of these. Way cool tool.
    The one on the left is now living in a trash can. The one on the right will always have a home in my toolbox.
    [quoted image]
    Thanks for making these. Have you considered contacting one of the pin parts suppliers to see if they would carry these?

cottonm4 Thank you SO MUCH for the kind words. I am grateful for the purchase and the glowing review. I was like you. I had bought several different kinds and none of them worked well at all. I knew there had to be a better one that could be made. I have not contacted any pin parts suppliers about selling them. Right now I was just kind of focused on two new products I am bringing to market and a third I am working on designing at the moment. But, I am really happy to hear that you find it such a useful tool. That made my day!

2 weeks later
    #675 49 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

My first rotisserie was rather weak and flimsy so I took another crack it it.
    It is sloppy, and loose, but solid. I wanted it to flex to keep the play field from getting in any kind of bind.
    It cost me a couple of 2 x 3 boards, some deck screws, and two wooden wheels from Home Depot; The wheels were $15.00 each, so about $40.00 for the complete build.
    The problem with my first rotisserie was that, because of the play field clamps, I would have to remove the play field to be able to install the back wooden rail and also install the ball launcher parts.
    I sat this up with outriggers so I can assemble the play field 100% complete before I remove the play field from the rotisserie.
    The wooden wheels pivot on some broomstick I salvaged.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    I had drill some locking holes in the wheels and my cross brace so I can pin the play field into any angle that I want to work with .
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Locating and locking the play field to the rotisserie is accomplished by using the 2 large tooling holes the factory used for what ever purpose.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    The play field is locked down with some small pieces of wood I cut for the purpose.
    [quoted image]
    The cardboard acts as a spacer and as a form of dry lubricant.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    I need to remake the wooden clamps to allow for the crosswise wooden rail to fit into position.
    [quoted image]
    By using the factory tooling holes I was able to make some open space on both ends of the play field. This will allow me to install everything before removing the play field. This is something that cannot be down with the play field being clamp to a cross bar.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    I have this rotisserie mounted on a table top. When I am done, it will break down and sit in a corner somewhere out of the way.
    It is ugly. I threw it together. It is sloppy and loose; By design. It is loose with no chance of putting the play field in a bind as I rotate it.
    While it is ugly, it works quite well. And it is solid as a rock and swings freely. I could make it again and make it pretty but will probably not mess with that.

I'm really liking this "new" rotisserie I put together. Here are some pics with it in action.

Spacing the play field away from the support wheels lets me install all of the ball launch hardware.

IMG_6259 (resized).jpg

And the extra space on the other end gives me way to stow the loose harness to allow for full, free, 360 degree rotation.

IMG_6257 (resized).jpg

IMG_6260 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #676 42 days ago

Repurpose that broken 5 Iron, nice long screwdriver to get in tight spots, can apply a lot of torque as well

4813DCD4-D61C-4A62-8A7D-439E5E75B09A (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #677 32 days ago

I don't think I posted this with clear images before.

I built this cart a few years ago for transporting and holding a large quantity of playfield glass. It easily slides into an SUV or van.

The cart is 41.25" wide, 50" long, and 30" tall (with the castors). It can hold both standard and various widebody playfield glass sizes. I had a maximum of 38 sheets of glass on it, with room for more, although it was a bit heavy to move around with the weight of that much glass on it.

The green padding is just pool noodles from the local dollar store. I stapled them to the back side of the slats.

When the cart is in a vehicle, I just unbolt the 2x4's on one side, then slide the glass on/off the cart. Then bolt the 2x4's back on when I'm ready to drive.

During transport, I put large pieces of cardboard on the surface of the outermost piece of glass, then covered all the glass in two large moving blankets, then gently secured them with two ratchet straps.

The only things I might change are: glue a thin piece of plywood down where the glass sits to bridge the gaps between the three 2x4's, and possibly replace the short end pieces on the three 2x4's since they're starting to split (I should have pre-drilled, rather than just screwed into them).

Otherwise, the cart worked pretty well for me when I was using it.
    20210518161232661.jpg20210518161238244.jpg20210518161245344.jpg20210518161325759.jpg20210518161335582.jpg20210518161358688.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

#678 32 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't think I posted this with clear images before.
    I built this cart a few years ago for transporting and holding a large quantity of playfield glass. It easily slides into an SUV or van.
    The cart is 41.25" wide, 50" long, and 30" tall (with the castors). It can hold both standard and various widebody playfield glass sizes. I had a maximum of 38 sheets of glass on it, with room for more, although it was a bit heavy to move around with the weight of that much glass on it.
    The green padding is just pool noodles from the local dollar store. I stapled them to the back side of the slats.
    During transport, I put large pieces of cardboard on the surface of the outermost piece of glass, then covered all the glass in two large moving blankets, then gently secured them with two ratchet straps.
    The only things I might change are: glue a thin piece of plywood down where the glass sits to bridge the gaps between the three 2x4's, and possibly replace the short end pieces on the three 2x4's since they're starting to split (I should have pre-drilled, rather than just screwed into them).
    Otherwise, the cart worked pretty well for me when I was using it.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like your style. Down and dirty and functional. With wheels ( that get expensive real fast).

#679 32 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

With wheels ( that get expensive real fast)

Forget the wheels... just the wood is about a Topper's worth o' dollars at today's lumber prices

3 weeks later
    #680 10 days ago

This is how I bring up my pins, The Pinski

#681 9 days ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

I love it. How do you have it secured to the deck outside?

#682 9 days ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

Awesome! I am trying to come up with something like this for my basement stairs .

Chris

#683 9 days ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

How much midnight oil did you burn to come up with this? For pinball stuff, this is right up that at the top !

You could throw down with anybody who has an Escalera.

#684 9 days ago

Who needs a winch, I just pull 'em up the stairs myself!

Disclaimer: I don't recommend this at just the 4 X advantage I'm getting. I had hoped to use all the pulleys, but my rope wasn't long enough. After this one, I did a heavier machine which got a little sketchy. Fortunately, I could step on the rope and take a break. It was the grip strength that went first, ha.

#685 9 days ago

Hey, who has a tool to remove stuck sleeves from a coil? I've wasted too much time chipping them out piece by piece in the past! Someone had a tool for this, but I forgot where.

Actually, I've since removed some brass sleeves from a machine I picked up. Next time I'm going to try using one of those to pound it out. I was shocked these were installed in a Stern DMD. For how long where these in active use?

#686 9 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Hey, who has a tool to remove stuck sleeves from a coil? I've wasted too much time chipping them out piece by piece in the past! Someone had a tool for this, but I forgot where.
    Actually, I've since removed some brass sleeves from a machine I picked up. Next time I'm going to try using one of those to pound it out. I was shocked these were installed in a Stern DMD. For how long where these in active use?

someone in this thread has them...as that's where I saw and purchased one...

#688 9 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

that’s my buddy PinballJunkie , don’t think he has any left and has since retired. You could PM him

#689 9 days ago
    Quoted from dudah:

I love it. How do you have it secured to the deck outside?

I have 2 x 18” 3/8” threaded rod going through a 4 by 4 and threading into a WPC leg plate, which is fastened under the deck joists using simpson hurricane ties. I have slotted the ends so I can screw them up when needed and down when not and hidden under a mat.

4E1B2EA0-729F-4E0D-A6AD-ED3B0295120F (resized).jpeg
    #690 9 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How much midnight oil did you burn to come up with this? For pinball stuff, this is right up that at the top !
    You could throw down with anybody who has an Escalera.

Definitely went through a a few versions to get there. I came up with this to save the cable grinding a groove in my my floors.

B5890D03-A333-4CDC-97FB-53D3B33CA43F (resized).jpeg
    #691 8 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I've seen people use appropriate diameter long sockets and nut drivers. If I come across one that is stuck well enough that I can't get it out by hand I consider the coil toast and replace it.

#692 8 days ago
    Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

I've seen people use appropriate diameter long sockets and nut drivers. If I come across one that is stuck well enough that I can't get it out by hand I consider the coil toast and replace it.

I bought one of these punch tools and have used it twice. In both cases, the coil was fine and a new sleeve fit right in. Since new coils cost anywhere from $10.00 each + shipping, I figure the tool has paid for itself.

You can can try a socket or nut driver, as I have tried, but their performance will not match one of these punches with the reduced diameter on one end that locks the punch into the sleeve for an easy removal. Removing a stuck sleeve with this tool is about a 10 second job. 5 seconds is used getting the hammer from your tool drawer.

You can throw your coils away, but you don't have to.

#693 8 days ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

Do you use the Pinski to take them down as well? If yes, post a video of that please!
    Mike

#694 7 days ago
    Quoted from packie1:

Do you use the Pinski to take them down as well? If yes, post a video of that please!
    Mike

Not always but sometimes, especially if I’m alone, will take a vid next time.

#695 7 days ago

This is more of a repurpose than a make. Took a gamble on one of these for a pin work shelf and it works great. Only potential mod being extending the tabs on one end to level it out horizontally. Shown in the folded position. Free turning plastic ends screw down to clamp it to the side. Had to find one on Amazon that "folded" so it would secure properly to a vertical surface. Has a "leather" cover (which should be labeled 'fabric cover with leather piping') which keeps anything from sliding. Or remove that for the wood finish underneath.

20210611_224440 (resized).jpg
    #696 7 days ago

Necessity is the mother of invention. Some time back my Hakko desolder gun fell out of the cheap holder Hakko sent with the kit.

A few months ago, I made a holder for my Hakko desolder gun. It works but it has a problem.

IMG_6710 (resized).jpg

The heated probe burned into the wood.

IMG_6711 (resized).jpg

I made a new design this morning. Burning wood is no longer a problem.

I helps to have a band saw to make this thing. Other than that it is all scrap wood and 8 deck screws.

IMG_6716 (resized).jpg

#697 6 days ago

I'm curious what people use to clean the female side of jones plugs on EM machines? I'm using a bent in half pipe cleaner right now, but find it pretty flimsy. I heard there was a certain size gun barrel brush that you could use (but I don't know anything about guns so don't know what size). Is there another repurposed tool others use?

#698 6 days ago
    Quoted from JRC6000:

I'm curious what people use to clean the female side of jones plugs on EM machines?

Half water and half CLR and a .17 caliber brass gun barrel brush.

LTG : )

#699 5 days ago
    Quoted from JRC6000:

I'm curious what people use to clean the female side of jones plugs on EM machines? I'm using a bent in half pipe cleaner right now, but find it pretty flimsy. I heard there was a certain size gun barrel brush that you could use (but I don't know anything about guns so don't know what size). Is there another repurposed tool others use?

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-tube-pipe-nylon-brush-set-90631.html
    https://www.harborfreight.com/engine-brush-kit-20-pc-63732.html
    https://www.harborfreight.com/airbrush-cleaning-brushes-5-pc-68155.html
    https://www.harborfreight.com/tube-brush-set-6-pc-61923.html

There are 705 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside