New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 276432)

Shout Out To The Old Me

By dirkdiggler

50 days ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 days ago by DanQverymuch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 50 days ago

How different are you now then then when you were young?

Having more fun now or missing the glory days?

I love 360 and rags to riches stories and wondering if any pinsiders have some to share?

#2 50 days ago

Older. Takes longer to get going. No more jumping out of bed in the morning and running all day.

Been through the ups, the downs, the tragedies, the great things.

I don't miss the glory days. I do miss some of the people that have died.

I start every day looking forward to what fun can I have today. Anything worth doing is worth having fun.

Looking back there is only one thing I'd change if I could. Other than that I'm a pretty happy camper. Every day I'm glad to be alive and a chance at a new day.

LTG : )

#3 50 days ago

Mine is a tale of woe that would make you cry

#4 49 days ago

Sometimes I wake up early and go to the Waffle House and the late night kids are still there. That was once me! Can remember fighting morning traffic to get back home after a hard night.

#5 49 days ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Having more fun now or missing the glory days?

For me having more fun now.

I did have a blast until I turned 17, but I just wanted to get ahead so when I was older and my back or knees or whatever else hurt I could chill.

I never dated or even kissed a girl from the age of 18-30. For 12 years I worked 80-120 hours a week to try to get ahead.

It helped that I was self employed and enjoyed what I did. (18-23 I was still working full time construction for my Dad also).

BUT, when I was 18, I was making 10% interest on savings. Then 8, then 6, and finally my plan of living off interest became buying rental houses.

I only have 3 rentals, I thought I could have had 5 by now, but it is cool, I am debt free and can retire anytime.

I will never fully retire, because I like to work.

I have never been to a gym and I never will. If I am going to lift anything I am getting paid, not paying them.

I am far from being rich, and I have no need to be. I am frugal enough and have enough common sense I am fine.

I have purchased 2 brand new cars in my lifetime. Both were for my Mom. The 2003 Malibu I now use for construction, because of the gas mileage. The 2008 Aveo she is still driving. I still have the 1988 F-150 I purchased used from a friend back in 1988.

Anyway, the last few years me and friends have been to all of the Six Flags parks in the USA, and most of the Cedar Fair parks, and most Busch/Sea world parks.

And I am retired from that shit now, I love rollercoasters but they started hurting my head, like I could feel my brain hitting my skull type of hurt.

I am still just a workaholic and I hope to chill more soon.

Nice that me and my awesome girlfriend have a nice man cave loaded with games to play.

Sucks that I still work too much to take the boat to the lake much. (35 min drive).

I am so damn glad that I worked all the time when I was younger.

Most of my friends were still going to bars all the time, and getting married and later losing half their shit. (I may someday marry my current girlfriend, as long as I know 100% no way I can lose half of my stuff).

I had a awesome childhood, because I was blessed with awesome parents.

I was too busy to be lonely for most of the 12 years I worked all the time.

I did overdo it a tad in my early 30's, spending way too much time at the beach and in beach bars. It was very cool though getting the VIP treatment and having fun. (like 60 days a year).

Shout out to the old me: THANKS!!!

Plans did not all quite work out but everything is fine, and the hard work, stress, sweat, and everything has paid off.

It did help that I was just not interested in having any kids. And I have never been married.

At 23 I did do a very long will, my lawyer said he had never seen anyone write a will that long. 30 years later and it is still good.

(and this is not the confessional, but I confess I drink Natties to chill me out, because all I want to do is work all the time).

#6 48 days ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

as long as I know 100% no way I can lose half of my stuff).

You and me both buddy. That’s why I’m holding off a lot of things will need to change first. Hopefully we will be headed in the right direction soon on that.

#7 48 days ago

I had a lot more energy in my 20s which I miss. Unforeseen health problems can take you down a notch. I’m still kicking though and thankful what I do have and try to make the most of it.

I don’t think I’d do anything over differently. Don’t have a lot of regrets. If my memory stays in tact in my old age I’ll definitely have a lot to look back on and smile.

I always say we might not live in what seems the best of times right now but we are certainly not in boring times.

Overall I’d like to think I haven’t changed too much.

#8 48 days ago

When I was 18 I had the ways but not the means.Now at 58 I have the means but not the ways.

#9 47 days ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

When I was 18 I had the ways but not the means.Now at 58 I have the means but not the ways.

My buddy and I used to like to jokingly discuss creating a "service" whereby well-off old dudes could give us money and we'd go spend it having fun and making lots of videos to send back to them, so they can then live vicariously through us.

But now we're too old to have delusions that anyone would want to watch us carouse with loose women, etc. using their money. It was a long shot then, but now, eww!

#10 47 days ago

Pushing 60 and I live by that old Dylan lyric:
    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

1 week later
    #11 37 days ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

My buddy and I used to like to jokingly discuss creating a "service" whereby well-off old dudes could give us money and we'd go spend it having fun and making lots of videos to send back to them, so they can then live vicariously through us.
    But now we're too old to have delusions that anyone would want to watch us carouse with loose women, etc. using their money. It was a long shot then, but now, eww!

It occurs to me, I'm not all that old, just a big kid really, so if any rich, really old timers want to make our dream job a reality, please contact me! With the tech today, you wouldn't be waiting around for videotapes like we envisioned back then, it'd be emailed or even a private stream!

(I'm not holding my breath!)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Interactive
    Cobra Amusements
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    $ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Loop Combo Pinball
    Lighting - Backbox
    Arcade Upkeep
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 13.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 209.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 8.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 30.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 16.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside