(Topic ID: 208682)

Shouldn't Jethro Tull be the next rock pinball machine.

By o-din

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 213 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ramjet
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jethro-tull-ian-anderson-baby-onesies-white (resized).jpg
    DSC_0196 (resized).JPG
    play-free-bird (resized).jpg
    a021c30653ae3866c6c44c9e12a1d1a3--psychedelic-soup (resized).jpg
    R-855032-1278625766.jpeg (resized).jpg
    hd (resized).jpg
    69CFA24C-500F-4CE8-8272-88D41C3EC922 (resized).jpeg
    3857a (resized).jpg
    C1F63239-87E5-4C0A-B480-7D69A88F9545 (resized).jpeg
    BarreJT (resized).jpg
    gallery_movies-anchorman-12 (resized).jpg
    500x500 (resized).jpg
    TullFlute (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    iXWhLTK (resized).jpg
    Jethro Tull.jpg
    There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 6 years ago

If not then why not.

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If not then why not.

I saw Jethro Tull live in 1983 when I was 15 a Folsom Field in Boulder Colorado were I am seeing Dead & Company this coming July 2018 . I remember Jethro Tull frontman Ian Anderson came out on stage with a 30 foot flute and played the damn thing for a song or two. Ian would sing /hum simultaneously as he played his flute . ( Wild) Tull's music has the energy for a good pinball theme so yes why the hell not .
    "Bouree"

#3 6 years ago

I believe the burden of proof is on the accuser. Plus I thought you were all for something new an modern. Love me some Jethro Tull but not sure they fit a pin. Usually I just turn down my pins and crank up any tunes I want. Win/win.

#4 6 years ago

Well if they did, I’m quite sure my husband would buy his first pin.

Anyone else caught Martin Barre on tour recently? He was always the heart of JT for me, and it’s so much fun to see him still having fun up on stage!

#5 6 years ago

It would seem to me that a musical group themed pinball game only makes sense if said musical group gets actively involved in the project - does custom call outs and makes suggestions for the artwork and maybe even toys.

#6 6 years ago

Warchild le !

#7 6 years ago

I vote for Mr Bungle. They already have pinball sound effects in their songs...

#8 6 years ago

Stern certainly has shown a propensity to use the RELICS OF ROCK/GRANDPA ROCK theme and has done pretty well with it. In this day & age, ease of getting a favorable licensing agreement often looms large as to what theme makes the cut. IMHO, Jethro Tull is a questionable choice. The band got started in 1967 and experienced there greatest artistic achievements in the 70's...... Not sure what type of market research (if any) takes place. The Jethro Tull fan base certainly is not a young crowd

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If not then why not.

about 15 years ago I was at a convention of photographers. The venue had live music and the only bar was in the music venue ball rooom. That music...a genuine Jethro Tull cover band, flute included.

This group of photographers was one hard drinking group. Dedicated liver killers the entire lot. When I went in that ballroom to see what was going on, it was the saddest thing I've ever seen. There they were, a Jethro Tull Cover band, flute included, rocking out like it was their last day on earth, to an absolutely empty room. They even let the bartender go, because nobody was there.

The booze for that group was trucked in offsite and taken out to a bonfire where they burned various hotel furniture. Like a said, a hard drinking group.

I'm not one to hate Tull, I liked them at one point, but something about that moment made me realize I'd never listen to them again.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

Dedicated liver killers the entire lot.

I think that might have something to do with the origin of this thread.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I think that might have something to do with the origin of this thread.

Its either Tull or Seals and Croft. I can imagine the all gold playfield and a long play 'summer breeze' multiball with special magnetically powered super slow mo and a whirlwind fan and hooka topper.

Other similarly great and inevitable themes. Yes, Super Tramp, and Jim Croce. All music I once but now rarely enjoy.

#12 6 years ago

Only if they can make some smoke on the water

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If not then why not.

Because we have Jurassic Park and Lost world if you want to play with Dinosaurs.

#14 6 years ago

While the music is good, I'd have to say that there are more musicians/groups that span more generations and have a larger fan base ahead of them in line.

#15 6 years ago

Simply - NO

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from purplemunkydishw:

Because we have Jurassic Park and Lost world if you want to play with Dinosaurs.

but what about the..

monkeys who live in their dark tents,
    lions and tigers who wait in the shadows,
    and the rivers full of crocodile nasties.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If not then why not.

shirley you can't be srs

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If not then why not.

Because word on the street is that this group is ahead of them in line:

KC and Sunshine Band (resized).jpgKC and Sunshine Band (resized).jpg

Shake shake shake! ... Shake shake shake! ...

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Because word on the street is that this group is ahead of them in line:

There's a typo on that cover, they put an (s) after HIT. I did get a good laugh out of the 'Priceless Collection" that's an amazing cover for so many reasons, the obviously and poorly photoshopped in heads. all of it. Great find.

#20 6 years ago

"In the shuffling madness of the locomotive breath, runs the all time loser headlong to his death....de de de de de, deh!"

#21 6 years ago

"Should'nt Jethro Tull be the next rock pinball machine. "

No.

If you meant the next Hard Rock/Heavy Metal pinball machine then yes of course.

#22 6 years ago

Play through the whole Thick as a Brick album? Sign me up!

#23 6 years ago

He is touring this summer ! Always wanted to see him.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hoopjohn:

IMHO, Jethro Tull is a questionable choice. The band got started in 1967 and experienced there greatest artistic achievements in the 70's...... Not sure what type of market research (if any) takes place. The Jethro Tull fan base certainly is not a young crowd

Quoted from wayout440:

While the music is good, I'd have to say that there are more musicians/groups that span more generations and have a larger fan base ahead of them in line.

I think this sums it up. When we get to these discussions on bands that make a good pin or the next music pin a large fan base is essential...these discussions about the Budgies and Jethro Tull, nothing against the bands but the market just is not there. I.E. a Pink Floyd "The Wall" LE would sell far quicker, be more desired and sought after than an "Aqualung" LE.

#25 6 years ago

Nothing beats a good flute solo during multi ball

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If not then why not.

I would think a Jethro Bodine pin would be first ?

LTG : )

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I would think a Jethro Bodine pin would be first ?
    LTG : )

" Sitting on the cement pond bench, eying Ellie May with bad intent....."

#28 6 years ago

Now that’s funny right there

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hoopjohn:

there greatest artistic achievements in the 70's...... Not sure what type of market research (if any) takes place. The Jethro Tull fan base certainly is not a young crowd

Uhhhh...

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#30 6 years ago

Ian Anderson is 70

#31 6 years ago

Steven Tyler turns 70 in March and Aerosmith is selling like hotcakes isn't it?

Now will the mods please put this thread back where it belongs!

#32 6 years ago

You know what the difference between Aerosmith and Jethro Tull is?

I still listen to Tull when it comes on the radio.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You know what the difference between Aerosmith and Jethro Tull is?
    » YouTube video

ABSOLUTELY!

E

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

» YouTube video

As a teenager in the 80's I loved listening to Jethro Tull and I have nothing against the band but the first thing I think of when I think of Jethro Tull is I had just attended a Metallica concert on the "And Justice For All" tour and watching Metallica playing at the Grammys and then giving the First Grammy for Hard Rock/Heavy Metal to Jethro Tull, like the rest of America I was like WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I did not know Jethro Tull had a new album and it certainly wasn't getting any play on the radio and to this day I have never heard a song played on that album while "Justice" was blowing our teenage minds when it came out!!!!!!!

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I had just attended a Metallica concert on the "And Justice For All" tour and watching Metallica playing at the Grammys and then giving the First Grammy for Hard Rock/Heavy Metal to Jethro Tull, like the rest of America I was like WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Grammys had a lot of catching up to do. That was probably in regards to a Grammy snub of Jethro Tull years earlier.

Speaking of Grammys I watched a little of it the other night and what blew me away was Miley Cyrus singing Tiny Dancer with Elton John. That little lady has sure grown up and has quite an amazing voice.

#36 6 years ago

For those that didn't see it...

#37 6 years ago

The rock genre has been overdone in pinball. Why not go after someone current and do a Kendrick Lamar pin. He's the best rap artist of this generation and has 12 Grammy's by the age of 30. He recently played the CFB championship halftime and is one of the most popular entertainers over the past few years'. Could bring a lot of new (and younger) fans into pinball.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

For those that didn't see it...
    » YouTube video

Don't watch the Grammys. Video was good. Miley was wearing clothes, a rarity is seems.

Saw Jethro Tull in the early 80's. Thought the show was very good. Remember the controversy about the the flute being a heavy metal instrument. Is it?

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

The rock genre has been overdone in pinball. Why not go after someone current and do a Kendrick Lamar pin. He's the best rap artist of this generation and has 12 Grammy's by the age of 30. He recently played the CFB championship halftime and is one of the most popular entertainers over the past few years'. Could bring a lot of new (and younger) fans into pinball.

I hear you on that!

However we must resign ourselves to the fact that if it is going to be a music pinball theme, it is going to be something that is old and was very popular at one time. So it might as well be Jethro Tull.

Quoted from Electrocute:

Video was good. Miley was wearing clothes, a rarity is seems.

Yeah, it looks like she has outgrown that skanky image from a few years ago and has turned into quite a beautiful lady.

#40 6 years ago

Nah I don't see it happening

#41 6 years ago

No, it would shoot like a brick.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The Grammys had a lot of catching up to do. That was probably in regards to a Grammy snub of Jethro Tull years earlier.

I think you are missing the point O-din. Jethro Tull as the next music Pinball machine is as bad if not worse an idea than your idea for having the Budgies be a pinball machine. The fan base, relevance, popularity, pop culture, just does not exist for these bands for a pinball manufacturer to invest in them as a title. NO ONE is talking about Jethro Tull, there is no merchandising of them anywhere. Walk into a Target, Walmart etc you will see Jimi Hendrix T-shirts, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Doors, Beatles etc. For you to come up with these bands that although classic nothing against Jethro Tull but they simply don't have the legendary and dynamic status that other major bands do no matter how MUCH you like them. Jethro Tull IS A TERRIBLE IDEA FOR A PIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Remember the controversy about the the flute being a heavy metal instrument. Is it?

The average weight of a flute is 1 to 1.5 pounds, or 400 to 600 grams.

Quoted from Budman:

Ian Anderson is 70

Quoted from o-din:

Steven Tyler turns 70 in March

Paul McCartney is 75.

Donald Fagen is also 70.

Ric Ocasek is 68.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

The fan base, relevance, popularity, pop culture, just does not exist for these bands for a pinball manufacturer to invest in them as a title.

I'll let you guys fight it out just like when AC/DC was first rumored to be getting a pinball machine, but for now I am going pick up my mom who probably knows not much about either, and take her to see her Dr.

Cheers!

#45 6 years ago

Flute Rock's finest!

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

Flute Rock's finest!

He's def the weirdest & most known but I'll Take Moody Blues over Tull.

#47 6 years ago

Love Tull. I'd argue Passion Play as their best but along with King Crimson, Genesis and Yes this era of progressive rock was fantastic

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

Ric Ocasek is 68.

Fortunate never to have seen the Cars in concert. Supposedly, they were awful.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

Flute Rock's finest!

Quoted from TheLaw:

He's def the weirdest & most known but I'll Take Moody Blues over Tull.

Everyone forgets Peter Gabriel plays the flute and he was weirder than Ian Anderson

29ca1d866ec23e15799cc3c05d57e0b4--peter-gabriel-peter-otoole (resized).jpg29ca1d866ec23e15799cc3c05d57e0b4--peter-gabriel-peter-otoole (resized).jpg

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Because that would not sell....

The only hip-hop pin that would sell would be Beastie Boys.

There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shouldndt-jethro-tull-be-the-next-rock-pinball-machine?hl=dawezl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.