(Topic ID: 208682)

Shouldn't Jethro Tull be the next rock pinball machine.

By o-din

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 213 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ramjet
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jethro-tull-ian-anderson-baby-onesies-white (resized).jpg
    DSC_0196 (resized).JPG
    play-free-bird (resized).jpg
    a021c30653ae3866c6c44c9e12a1d1a3--psychedelic-soup (resized).jpg
    R-855032-1278625766.jpeg (resized).jpg
    hd (resized).jpg
    69CFA24C-500F-4CE8-8272-88D41C3EC922 (resized).jpeg
    3857a (resized).jpg
    C1F63239-87E5-4C0A-B480-7D69A88F9545 (resized).jpeg
    BarreJT (resized).jpg
    gallery_movies-anchorman-12 (resized).jpg
    500x500 (resized).jpg
    TullFlute (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    iXWhLTK (resized).jpg
    Jethro Tull.jpg
    There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 6 years ago
    Quoted from bkbirge:

With a special mode where if the Metallica pin senses the Jethro presence you hear Lars Ulrich crying.

The crying should be heard but not announced. During gameplay. Fun.

#152 6 years ago

No. I think the music genre in general is getting over done right now. Lets get more original themes like dialed in.
    Thanks
    blake

#153 6 years ago

Foo Fighters are way more relevant

One of the best live acts out there now.

Maybe Stern will pick up the license.

#154 6 years ago

Lets just end this "argument" by listing the bands that have far more universal appeal/relevance/music catalog/large market draw/influence than Jethro Tull, Budgies, Uriah Heap, or Foo Fighters. These are listed in no particular order but as a music fan would succeed FAR more than the others.

Jimi Hendrix
    Pink Floyd
    Doors
    U2
    Led Zeppelin
    OZZY/Black Sabbath
    Rush
    The Beatles
    Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Alice in Chains/Nirvana (Grunge machine)

#155 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Lets just end this "argument"

We could end this argument if you were to leave this thread and start your own.

#156 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If not then why not.

Sorry I was posing the "why not's" like you asked, simply many other bands ahead of Jethro Tull that have more universal Appeal. I like your threads but I don't support your position and I don't think I am the only one who thinks Jethro Tull as the NEXT music pin is a terrible idea and would be a flop....

#157 6 years ago

As long as nothing from the "A" album is included I would be all for having a Tull pin.

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Sorry I was posing the "why not's" like you asked, simply many other bands ahead of Jethro Tull that have more universal Appeal.

Well, I already tried to get Hendrix done, and even with overwhelming support it did not happen. And after you initially posted I have noticed your multiple thumbs down throughout this thread so it shows me something about this band must really bother you.

On the other hand there has been a lot of support from other members so I'd like to see this play on out.

#159 6 years ago

To answer the original question...............no.

#160 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Well, I already tried to get Hendrix done, and even with overwhelming support it did not happen. And after you initially posted I have noticed your multiple thumbs down throughout this thread so it shows me something about this band must really bother you.
    On the other hand there has been a lot of support from other members so I'd like to see this play on out.

I actually like Jethro Tull and listened to them alot as a teenager. But my reason for thumbs down is not against the band it is against the ridiculous idea that of all of the bands out there Jethro Tull is the next MOST relevelant and popular band that would support great sales in the Pinball World. I highly doubt there is any Stern or Jersey Jack scramble to get the rights to produce a Jethro Tull pinball machine. The market simply is not there no matter how good their songs are. Its just reality. Am I the only one that thinks this way???????

#161 6 years ago

The crest of a knave album I always enjoyed.

And her legs went on forever like staring up at infinity!!

#162 6 years ago

"Down by the waterhole
    Drunk every Friday
    Eating their nuts
    Saving their raisins for Sunday."

#163 6 years ago

train theme top right corner

He sees his children jumping off
    At stations, one by one
    His woman and his best friend
    In bed and having fun

#164 6 years ago

Saw Tull in 1978 in Ohio for $7.......was awesome
    Saw Tull in 1999 in Vegas for $40.......was great show except for the 2 blabbing girls by us
    Saw Tull in 2012 billed as Ian Anderson for $65 in Florida......played Thick as a Brick in it's entirety and then played his follow up album Thick as a Brick 2 in it's entirety.....decent 2012 album and fairly current.
    Still listen to his albums. Timeless.

Added over 6 years ago: that was 1976 in Ohio

#165 6 years ago

I saw Tull in 1980 at Madison Square Garden. He had a new band (except for Martin Barre) and more of a techno sound touring for the A album. Eddie Jobson was on keyboards and electric violin. I am a fan of his but he didn't belong in Tull. Horrible concert.

I saw them again in 1982 in New Haven Ct. and again around 1990 in Troy, NY. Much better concerts than the first time I saw them.

#166 6 years ago

Eddie Jobson in Roxy Music was awesome, liked that clear violin he played back in the day, saw them 3 times, what a treat.

Listened to Tull Benefit on the way to work today, great album.

#167 6 years ago

Emerson lake and Palmer

Lucky man. And others. I never used to like lucky man when I was younger. Now. The ending of that song played very loud. With Pinball. Today!

#168 6 years ago

There is an even better idea, a Beavis and Butthead pinball...

#169 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mark66:

There is an even better idea, a Beavis and Butthead pinball...

Oh my!!!

BH: I don't know what he is singing about but it sure does rock!
    Bev: he's singing about those horses with the huge dongs dumbass.

Make it a combo theme pin

#170 6 years ago

"Let me bring you songs from the wood, to make you feel much better than you could know. Dust you down from tip to toe. Show you how the garden grows. Hold you steady as you go."

#171 6 years ago

C1F63239-87E5-4C0A-B480-7D69A88F9545 (resized).jpegC1F63239-87E5-4C0A-B480-7D69A88F9545 (resized).jpeg

#172 6 years ago

All I got to say is Stern got it right by doing a Metallica pin....the Grammy’s couldn’t get it right when they gave the award for best “Heavy Metal” band to Jethro Tull back in the 80’s.....what a joke that was.

#173 6 years ago

If you say so.

#174 6 years ago

Please no. I can just imagine....snot Multiball.

#175 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

the Grammy’s couldn’t get it right

Seriously, why would they give an award to a band who had just released a terribly produced and so far their worst album?

#176 6 years ago

How about Road Manager. These guys toured with different bands, different years. You can license songs cheaper. Owners could customize to their liking. Locomotive Breath multiball?

#177 6 years ago

I can remember that award and thinking wtf. I never considered Tull as heavy metal, more of orchestral/jazz/rock but definitely not metal.

But the musical quality of Ian's is so enjoyable, different, and unique.

Only saw him live once at a fair concert 2008?? Had terrible seats, sound levels poor, and seemed short with many songs I had never heard before. Ya win some loose some.
    I still enjoy listening to him any time though and would definitely love to see a Minstrel in the gallery pin.

#178 6 years ago

I saw Jethro Tull do Aqualung (and older stuff) in 10/71 and very few of the over a thousand concerts since were even close...

#179 6 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I can remember that award and thinking wtf. I never considered Tull as heavy metal, more of orchestral/jazz/rock but definitely not metal.
    But the musical quality of Ian's is so enjoyable, different, and unique.
    Only saw him live once at a fair concert 2008?? Had terrible seats, sound levels poor, and seemed short with many songs I had never heard before. Ya win some loose some.
    I still enjoy listening to him any time though and would definitely love to see a Minstrel in the gallery pin.
    » YouTube video

When Metallica won a grammy for best heavy metal album they thanked Jethro Tull for not putting out an album that year.

#180 6 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

I would break my Stern boycott for a Led Zeppelin pin.

+1

Why has this taken so long?!

#181 6 years ago

Looks like we have a double bill.

3857a (resized).jpg3857a (resized).jpg

#182 6 years ago

I still can’t decide if this thread is meant to be taken at face value.

A Jethro Tull pinball game? I think the band is ok, but wouldn’t ever consider that it should be the theme of a pinball machine. I guess we can all throw out our favorite band and lobby for them.

I submit, for your consideration, the Replacements pinball game. Why not? They’re a hell of a lot better than Jethro Tull.

69CFA24C-500F-4CE8-8272-88D41C3EC922 (resized).jpeg69CFA24C-500F-4CE8-8272-88D41C3EC922 (resized).jpeg

#183 6 years ago
    Quoted from bane:

........."I submit, for your consideration, the Replacements pinball game."

Now you're talking!!!

#184 6 years ago

Or, for that matter:

hd (resized).jpghd (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #185 5 years ago

I'm not convinced Tull would make a great pin, but these guys--just maybe...

R-855032-1278625766.jpeg (resized).jpgR-855032-1278625766.jpeg (resized).jpg

#186 5 years ago

Choose songs from 5 great artist, replace the horrible noise from Irom Madden , now you have a great pin. Replaced Metallica with 15 LED ZEPPELIN songs, and it’s great!

1 month later
    #187 5 years ago

A little update on this.

So we went to see Tull at the Greek a few weeks back. The drive to LA is never something to look forward to, especially on a Friday evening, but we did it and got there on time. Nice crowd of mostly older folks (older than us), but as always the Greek is a top notch venue to see any show.

Ian Anderson looks his age, but was still able to perform at a high level and the set consisted of songs to please just about everybody. And he had a great sense of humor. The "virtual guests" were ex band members and other inspired musicians that would appear on the big screens next to the stage between songs and included Tony Iommi and Steve Harris.

I was really enjoying it and was very impressed. However somewhere about half way thru Too Old To Rock and Roll, it hit me. This was what I was into 40 years ago and had already seen them in the mid 80s. So we split a little early to beat the traffic out of there and got home in a flash.

So should Jethro Tull be the next band machine? Perhaps. But heck, if they can sell as many Iron Maidens and Metallicas as they have been, then why not? Give the people what they want!

#188 5 years ago

ODin, you are truly too old to rock n roll, but too young to die.

#189 5 years ago

Yes.......and life’s a long song......
    But the tune ends too soon for us all...

#190 5 years ago

Lovin' me some JT...Aqualung still gets me going along with Windup and Locomotive Breath...BRING IT!!!

#191 5 years ago

How about a pin where you only get one ball, but it's guaranteed to last forty-three minutes?

#192 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

ODin, you are truly too old to rock n roll, but too young to die.

More like too old to drive to Los Angeles, and getting too wise to even try.

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hogey:

Lovin' me some JT...Aqualung still gets me going along with Windup and Locomotive Breath...BRING IT!!!

Of course they did most all the hits! They killed it!

#194 5 years ago

I would much rather have a Pink Floyd pin over any other if they could license enough songs and it shot worth a damn.

#195 5 years ago

Does anybody know who the younger guest singer on the big screen who sings "Aqualung My Shadow" in that above live video two posts up is?

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I would much rather have a Pink Floyd pin over any other if they could license enough songs and it shot worth a damn.

I suppose if you like to sleep while you play pinball which is what I almost did at the wall concert in 1980.

Animals was about their last great album and live show.

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I suppose if you like to sleep while you play pinball which is what I almost did at the wall concert in 1980.
    Animals was about their last great album and live show.

Animals is definitely one of my top favorites. But, just like Tull, when these songs are playing I really prefer to get absorbed in them. Usually that is something like s long boring road trip or just sitting with headphones. I just don't really concentrate on the music in the background on pins, my brain is more focused on the gameplay and sound effects. Of course, if any of these old bands are to be made a pin - the first mod should be to add an oil projector to lull you into a comatose state.

a021c30653ae3866c6c44c9e12a1d1a3--psychedelic-soup (resized).jpga021c30653ae3866c6c44c9e12a1d1a3--psychedelic-soup (resized).jpg
    #198 5 years ago

I don't mean any disrespect to Jethro Tull, but they were/are not mainstream enough to get a pinball machine. Not enough people would buy it.

#199 5 years ago

OK,wow,look-The Beatles have never been done! I have talked to many of my generation(I'm 68) and we all would like a up to date,done correctly,( and this leaves out Stern)Beatles pin!Yeah,yeah,I've seen them,and the Stones,and Tull,here in the Bay area long before most of you were born!!!You guys are going sideways with this Metal Band stuff! Never been a fan of shaving my head and lighting up your Bick when your heroes show up!And crazily nodding your head up and down will do in your vertebrae and promote pain in the neck,as what this thread is all about ! Peace!

#200 5 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

I don't mean any disrespect to Jethro Tull, but they were/are not mainstream enough to get a pinball machine.

What Iron Maiden songs were as mainstream as Bungle in the Jungle? Or even Aqualung or Thick as a Brick?

And how many Grammys have they won?

Your "not mainstream enough" argument is a moot point.

There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shouldndt-jethro-tull-be-the-next-rock-pinball-machine/page/4?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.