Should you play?

By NoFearPro

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

So the other night, I ran into a TAF on location it was set for 50 cents. I realized all too quickly that the upper right flipper was broken, and stuck in position, which made it nearly impossible to shoot the right loop. I continued to waste 2 dollars on the stinking thing, and it was terrible as far as playability goes. So I'm just wondering, is it a waste of money to play awful condition games?

#2 7 years ago

I think it is. There are degrees... Weak flippers, some switch errors or broken parts that may not make a huge difference - disappointing, but I guess you could suck those up on location.

But if a flipper doesn't work, I'm out.

#3 7 years ago

If you had fun it was worth it, if you didnt then you wasted your money.

#4 7 years ago

Well I had fun, but was out two bucks. I guess it could've been worse.

#5 7 years ago

I'd play it. Even if it were simply to support the game/operator. Pinball needs all the help it can get.

I know someone will say "rah rah!! I won't support an operator that doesn't support their games!" Valid point, but what if that particular issue cropped up between regular maintenance. Who knows.

At any rate, what can be bought for $2 these days? Pretty much nothing of any real value. If I can spend a bit of pocket change and escape reality for a little while, I'm a happy camper--even if a flipper is a little funky.

#6 7 years ago

I've been guilty of playing crappy games on location. But I always wonder if I'd be making a stronger statement by not playing. Maybe the low coin drop will draw attention to the operator of a machine that needs to be fixed.

#7 7 years ago

Or maybe he stumbles in hungover and sees a tray of quarters and a broken machine abd says "screw it, still making money I'll fix it next time."

#8 7 years ago

I think sometimes it can be good practice playing a game with a particular feature not working, as long as the ball's not getting stuck. It forces you to improvise and use tactics you wouldn't normally use.

Quoted from mbaumle:

I'd play it. Even if it were simply to support the game/operator. Pinball needs all the help it can get.
I know someone will say "rah rah!! I won't support an operator that doesn't support their games!" Valid point, but what if that particular issue cropped up between regular maintenance. Who knows.

If it's a one-off then yeah, I'll still play. If the game is broken every single time I go into the venue, then no, the operator does not deserve my money...unless the tilt is loose, in which case it's a good opportunity to practice death saves.

#9 7 years ago

If there are serious gameplay issues, then no, I won't drop quarters into it.

If an operator can't provide me with a decent playing experience, then I won't reward them for it.

#10 7 years ago

Pinball out in the wild is still pretty uncommon around here, so I try to make do as best as I can. Once in a while the issue is something with a simple workaround, like having to hit the opposite flipper to release a stuck flipper. But most of the time the issues just get in the way of enjoying the pin.

#11 7 years ago

Actually, the tilt bob was as loose to the point where it could have been broken for all I know.

#12 7 years ago

The tilt bob. The one part I don't mind being broken.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 180.00
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-you-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.