(Topic ID: 120156)

Should you ever "really" trust a seller...???

By Breaking_Dad

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ccotenj
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-177.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

The poor guy having trouble with his TOTAN reminded me of this...CHANGE YOUR BATTERIES...

I went to go pick up my 2nd pin...very excited I pulled up and the guy was in the garage spraying a CFTBL...meet him...go in...pins everywhere...centaur,TAF,..full WH20 restore going on...I check out T2...we play a few games,talk some pinball...Great Guy...as I'm checking out the batteries the dates were turned in and he says...baa,I just changed those like last month...your good for awhile...OK..cool I say...do the deal...I'm the proud new owner of my grail pin...
    That guy have me no reason not to trust him...by watching him work a bit and talk to him he clearly knew pins...to the restore level......
    After a few months a said to myself...ahh I should change those batteries...baa the guy said they were good...I'll wait...waited...waited...when I stared having a few problems...for $3...let me finally change those...this is what I pulled out...
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    So moral of the story is...CHANGE THOSE BATTERIES....it's a few bucks and five minutes.... ......................Joey

#2 9 years ago

Better yet - get them off that board. Even new batteries can fail prematurely, so why risk it? Move them off the board to a remote holder, install a memory capacitor, or NVRAM device. The latter two have the advantage of never even having to worry about battery replacement, ever.

#3 9 years ago

I trust most people I buy from since I usually only deal with those I know.

#4 9 years ago

Off board holder in a plastic bag and never change them again unless they die.
    If they puke snip the wires and replace the whole unit.
    I quit replacing batteries when I bought new ones and they had puked in the package.

#5 9 years ago

Maybe he recently replaced the batteries with old ones...

At least you didn't have any board damage.

Edit:
    That reminds me.... I need to check the dates on my batteries. Thx.

#6 9 years ago

Trust but verify works in most any situation.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Maybe he recently replaced the batteries with old ones...
    At least you didn't have any board damage.
    Edit:
    That reminds me.... I need to check the dates on my batteries. Thx.

Talk about dodging a bullet...!!!....is there any con to using lithium AA batteries...???...........Joey

#8 9 years ago

My father has a box of batteries, some from the 1990's that he puts in things. It is quite possible the guy replaced them with old batteries but true to his word he did replace them possibly.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Talk about dodging a bullet...!!!....is there any con to using lithium AA batteries...???...........Joey

No con at all.....use energizer non-rechargeable lithiums. They don't leak....they last many years and when the die they are inert so you can toss them in your garbage. (Done).

#10 9 years ago

at least they didn't leak

#11 9 years ago

He might have changed them with old batteries he had laying around. I always label the batteries in my games with a date. It's good for me and the next owner.

#12 9 years ago

The big question here: What's the game that you picked up, Joey?

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Some folks might not have a problem using them, but you will still have to replace/recharge them eventually. On the rare chance that they might leak, that's an even worse cleanup than leaking alkaline batteries. If I considered using them, I'd still use a remote holder.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

The big question here: What's the game that you picked up, Joey?

I would guess T2?

#15 9 years ago

a seller giving some mistaken information is bound to happen.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

No con at all.....use energizer non-rechargeable lithiums. They don't leak....they last many years and when the die they are inert so you can toss them in your garbage. (Done).

All batteries leak depending on age, manufacturing flaws, and environmental conditions.

Lithiums are certainly much less likely to leak, but I'd rather avoid catastrophe altogether by removing the battery from the board.

#17 9 years ago

Sargent: SOLDIERS! Good news and bad! Good news, today you all get to change your underwear!!!
    Soldiers: YAYYYYY!!!!
    Sargent: Bad news is you get to change them with the guy next to you!

Sounds like the batteries listed above.

#18 9 years ago

So far so good for the two pins I bought recently - have yet to find anything amiss.

But as good preventive maintenance, I'm going to put in new batteries tonight.

My Getaway HS2 has the off-board battery holder, but I think my F-14 still has it on the board (time to relocate it!).

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

My father has a box of batteries, some from the 1990's that he puts in things. It is quite possible the guy replaced them with old batteries but true to his word he did replace them possibly.

mine does the same thing... i have learned that the very first question to ask him is "did you put NEW batteries in it?"...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-you-ever-really-trust-a-seller and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.