(Topic ID: 195339)

Should you buy a NEW Stern Pinball Machine?

By RGR

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 271 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RGR
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lemmings (resized).jpg
    IMG_3271 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3270 (resized).JPG
    20170811_131342 (resized).jpg
    Toe Truck (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2383 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rgr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

The raising of prices for games & components I do have a problem with but it's our fault for paying it right?

Not when other manufacturers are not upto speed. Clearly they are taking advantage of customers who dont have much other choice. By your logic Stern should make all LEs the price of BM66 SLE... If your willing to get ripped off, whats the problem?

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Just watched the video. Two thoughts come to mind.
    First he seems to be complaining that Stern is doing what most every other company on this planet and the next is doing, trying to reduce their costs and maximize their profit. I'm not quite sure why he doesn't expect Stern or any company in existence to always strive for that, it's what companies do.

Clearly you dont know Homepin.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

He's using Chinese labor to cut costs? What don't we understand?

errr what are Stern employees earning again?

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

1) The theme of Thunderbirds is awful
    2) He's alienated me from ever considering a NIB pin from him.

3) He aint ripping you off!
    4) he knows his shit
    5) hes innovative
    6) he dont bullshit

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

errrr...a whole lot more than this guy trying to make a pinball machine over several years and still can't seem to get it done. You can't be serious.
    Service? No way would I ever buy anything from this venture until its proven over MANY years.

There were good reasons why he didnt get it done. Hes proven his work in many other areas. Unreal how you think that Stern are doing things better... Might wanna watch that video again?

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I hope he succeeds but I'm NOT buying a thunderbirds pin. I'm sure it will be successful overseas from where I'm at.
    He needs to PROVE it and up to now, I have no clue how he has survived.

What interests me is how you appear to still be accepting of a company that is clearly screwing its customers...

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I hope he succeeds but I'm NOT buying a thunderbirds pin. I'm sure it will be successful overseas from where I'm at.
    He needs to PROVE it and up to now, I have no clue how he has survived.

What interests me is how you appear to still be accepting of a company that is clearly screwing its customers...

#45 6 years ago

Mike has an opinion, thats why and he aint afraid to let people know. People dont seem to like hearing other people publicly share their views. Mike has come out and said that Spike is rubbish and this is from a guy that makes his own boards...

#47 6 years ago

But getting back to the issue, the entire point regarding boards is that they cost more to replace than just fix...

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Totally disagree regarding the lockdown bar. The new latches are very easy and more stable - no more wobbling.

Thats true but it was also a cost cutting measure... I heard it from the horses mouth.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Good for them. They were able to cut costs while improving the product. Also, the stereo Spike system is FAR superior in terms of sound quality.
    I do agree that the node boards are far too expensive out of warranty. I've never had to pay for one as Stern support has always replaced them at no charge so far. Support has been excellent.

Improving for the player yes, not for the operator who has to take the lockdown bar off regularly.. But again the operators dont matter cos that aint going to keep pinball alive will it....

#61 6 years ago

So reality, how much is too much then? $500 a board, $1000? Something tells me given your laziness to learn and fix machines, you would pay that too. Gezzz like people that are ok with paying someone $50 to change the oil in their car. Its not like your an operator and are making money out of them... A little patience maybe?

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

So almost every modern pinball is a trow away machine.

Except Homepin

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

A self titled pinball expert with 92 youtube subscribers now thats funny

And that's doubled over the last 24 hours...

#115 6 years ago

Gomez is basically saying this is progression deal with it...

#129 6 years ago

Dare I say if I owned a business and had this many suckers willing to pay $15-$20k for an NIB it would be hard for me to say no, but you have to ask yourself why companies like Homepin are not following suit? Other companies like those creating TNA, Houdini etc etc.. they include extras, have more innovation, dont have 3 BS models, just the one... So how is it that the worlds leading manufacturer is giving you less.... I mean there is profit and there is taking advantage of a minority...

#132 6 years ago

I wasnt talking about Pros.... But whilst you are given they have bugger all on them, I again ask they others have games for the same prices with extras????? Why would they either not charge more, or charge the same without the extras....
    "No one needs a pinball machine" is like saying no one need chocolate, soft drinks, movies... No one needs 1st world luxurys... Ok so lets charge more for the stuff that no one NEEDS... good argument.

#135 6 years ago

I think its a worthy argument for those that are willing to spend 8,10,15K on a pinball machine. The guy in the video might have an agenda but thats another thread and whether he does or not doesnt change the facts surrounding the manufacture of Sterns games. Anyone who mentions that agenda, pretty much agrees with the points made in this video..

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Aerosmith has bugger all on it? GB Pro? Metallica? AC/DC? I agree, Star Wars is stripped down. That's unfortunate but the solution is, if you don't like what they are selling, don't buy. If enough people agree with you, they will start adding stuff, start reducing price, or go out of business.

Wha? Where did I say (or even imply) they *should* charge more for it? What I am saying (again), is no one is getting taken advantage of. See above.

I agree with his points that Spike replacement boards should be cheaper, and I also agree they should be standardized. Everything else was kind of nitpicky imo.

ACDC, wow if you think the pro has a complex playfield... My god. But yeah those you mentioned are BS compared to those built in the 90s like that of MM (Lyman), MB (Gomex), STTNG (SR) and the list goes on and on. When you have companies reproducing games from 20 years ago.... doesnt this tell you something is wrong with games today???

No one needs a pinball machine. Ever. For any reason. Nope. "Waaah, Stern took advantage of me and made me spend 5500 dollars on Star Wars and now I feel dirty". lol

Your obviously implying that Stern can charge what they want for products that people dont need.

Everything else was kind of nitpicky imo.

Well not is ghosting results in cracked playfields. I guess your the type of guy that could buy a new car and not worry about the odd scratch... I mean its going to happen in the long run right? And you dont take the lockdown bar off often enough to worry about that change, but then your not an operator. You are fine with code updates over and over and over but then you dont have to keep changing your strategy for playing games because you dont play in comps....

#143 6 years ago

Again, I say wha? Where did I say ACDC had a complex playfield? You said it had "bugger all" on it. I think for a Pro level machine it is decent. As for reproducing games from 20 years ago, the only thing it tells me that the those games were awesome, not that all modern games have something wrong with them.

This is the only time in the history of pinball that games from the past have been reproduced... Gezz I wonder why they didnt do it in the 90s... hmmmm

Have had several NIB Sterns, had clearcoat and paint chipping off of my X-Men playfield. Stern replaced it. No other problems.

The penny hasnt dropped has it?? "Stern replaced it"..... No other problems until it has to be replaced again, which is possible since they had to replace it in the first place.....

Do the problems exist for others? Yes. Shit happens with any manufacturer, the important thing is if they stand behind it, and in my experience, Stern does.

Sure problems always exist, its whether the company involved is creating enough short cuts for these problems to increase... If you cant see that well heck the lights on but no ones home.

As for code updates, are you seriously complaining that there are too many code updates, so you have to re-learn strategies?

Yeah I am and others have to. Just hope that the company doesnt go under and your left with a half arsed game like WOF. Waiting for 2-3-4 years for a game to be fully coded might be fine for you, but that doesnt mean that others have to put up with it. Maybe you might consider how stressed the coders etc are under??? Employ more staff maybe? Nah that would cost money.

As for what I do, or do not do with my pins and my hobby, none of your business.

Honestly I really dont care and not sure why you bought this point up.

You obviously don't like Stern pins, or what Stern does, so don't support the company. It isn't rocket science.

Another cool story. Not sure why you are mentioning the obvious..

#148 6 years ago

Could it be because pinball was dying a long slow death in the 90s:

Wrong, wrong, wrong. It was in the late 90s but definitely not in the early 90s.

You got me. A NIB pin had problems. Stern is the first and only manufacturer to have had this happen. Good catch.

Yep all games do, just not to the levels that Sterns do. Hmmm lets see how many problems Homepins games have... Dialed In have as much playfield problems do they?

The rate of incident increasing is yet to be proven.

Looooooooooool. Nah you right there aint many issues... I am sure playfields were being changed just as much in the 90s.. along with other things..

Could it be increasing, and because of shortcuts? Sure, I suppose. But if they fix it for me I don't really care.

Well thats cos your selfish and dont care about operators that need things fixed quicker and for less cost hence the main issues mentioned in the video.

Then don't put up with it. Again, just don't buy. Good luck.

Never have and likely never will, but I am looking out for the community in general. You are more than welcome to sit in the sun with your arse pointed to the sky waiting for an elephant to come charging at you with Stern written on it, but again others dont have to put up with this.

Dude, *you* brought it up by talking about whether I "participate in comps" or whether I route my machines. Are you drunk?

Read inbetween the lines. What I was implying... let me say that again IMPLYING was that the issues that are of no concern to you maybe a concern to others.....

Because you keep going on and on like Stern impregnated your dog or something. I am suggesting it for your mental health. You're welcome.

"Dont support the company" errr did I ever? I am trying to support the community of players, operators and collectors by bringing to like the fact that they are being bent over by Stern and their cost cutting techniques.

Honestly you are free to do what you want, but dont say other people are talking shit just because you dont have a problem with paying more for this, or having to get playfields replaced...

#155 6 years ago

Problems out of the box... When I bought STTNG in 94 it literally took me minutes to set up. Only the other day a friend took 2 hours to set up AS. Yep things are improving 20 years on! Its unreal how blind some people are. Go and have a game of Dailed In then get back to me if you think its a better product than a company thats been making games for 25 years.. Next thing your going to tell me is ST is a better game than STTNG! I mean you cant bring the 90s back but JJP is doing a dam good job trying.

#158 6 years ago

Nimblenuts! Hey man yeah I laid off for a few years but that video got me fired up.... More than happy to come round and meet up again.

#165 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spock:

The big question...
    Is the hobby

This hobby is built on nostalgia. I hate to break the news, the kids now days are trash. Give it time and our hobby numbers will diminish

That and competition which ultimately imo is the only thing that will keep it alive. Majority of winners in papa were under 18. There is a future.

#174 6 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

JJP are not at all like 90s games the deepest rule set 90s games were still easy to understand modern games not so much.With $8000 being the cheapest JJP game he is pricing out most in the hobby.When you bought STTNG in 94 you were not the anal collector going over the playfield with a magnifying glass looking for issues

They are in terms of moving forward with innovation. I was not a collector in the 90s I was an operator. No I wasnt anal. I was more concerned about a reliable game that was easy to maintain.. But these days given people dont have these on site you would be anal of playfield and cabinet issues since they are far less likely to get damaged at home. Generally if you bought games back then you operated them and they were always going to wear out, and you would either sell them for not much or throw them away.. Cliffys were not even around then so operators really had no choice to be concerned about wear, like that around the chair on TAF or the MB hole on MB.. Kinda like buying a car, its always going to get scratched.... The only thing these days is that people are putting their "cars" in their lounge room...

2 weeks later
    #250 6 years ago

Its not an issue with the head bolts not being secure but its a pita when transporting the games.... Another clear piece of evidence that Stern do not care about the operator. They know that HUO owners do not play their games as much so why keep all the other things like previous head box mechanisms, lock down bars without latches etc when the games are just not being used as much. From a business pov it makes sense, along with Spike etc and all the other cost cutting practices... Plus people are still happy to buy them including $20k nibs!

#269 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

So will "Thunderbirds" solve for all of these shortcomings?

Guess you havent been following Homepins thread?

#271 6 years ago

lol so you are following it then

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rgr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-you-buy-a-new-stern-pinball-machine?tu=rgr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.