(Topic ID: 195339)

Should you buy a NEW Stern Pinball Machine?

By RGR

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 271 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RGR
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lemmings (resized).jpg
    IMG_3271 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3270 (resized).JPG
    20170811_131342 (resized).jpg
    Toe Truck (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2383 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Dare I say if I owned a business and had this many suckers willing to pay $15-$20k for an NIB it would be hard for me to say no, but you have to ask yourself why companies like Homepin are not following suit? Other companies like those creating TNA, Houdini etc etc.. they include extras, have more innovation, dont have 3 BS models, just the one... So how is it that the worlds leading manufacturer is giving you less.... I mean there is profit and there is taking advantage of a minority...

The 15-20k thing gets thrown around like it is standard Stern pricing. It was for one model of one boutique release. TNA, Houdini, JJP are all higher than Stern Pros. Sounds like Thunderbirds will be about the same as a Stern Pro, but until they start selling and are put under the same scrutiny as Stern gets all the time I think it is too early to start crowing about it.

And taking advantage of a minority? Hyperbole much? No one needs a pinball machine. Ever. For any reason. Nope. "Waaah, Stern took advantage of me and made me spend 5500 dollars on Star Wars and now I feel dirty". lol

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

And to be honest, I damn near pulled the trigger on a pro after watching some youtube video where you said you would probably buy one...but this spike stuff flipped me to a scared little bit*h...

Well, everything he said must be true, because it was on the internet. And his agenda wasn't obvious at all. The guy gave no hard numbers on defect rates, incurred costs, even said Spike was as reliable as SAM, which is hardly an indictment. Are Spike games going to be running and supported in 20 years? Who knows? JJP, Spooky, Homepin, Stern, could all be bankrupt and long gone. Less than 20 years ago Williams bailed on pinball and everyone thought that was the end. Hell, I might not even be alive in 20 years.

Get a game, play it for a few years (or months, or however long it takes you to get your yaya's out, then sell it and move on. Life is too short to be worrying about this bullsh*t. People are acting like Spike is supposed to be managing nuclear reactors or driving people's pacemakers ffs.

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

I wasnt talking about Pros.... But whilst you are given they have bugger all on them, I again ask they others have games for the same prices with extras????? Why would they either not charge more, or charge the same without the extras....

Aerosmith has bugger all on it? GB Pro? Metallica? AC/DC? I agree, Star Wars is stripped down. That's unfortunate but the solution is, if you don't like what they are selling, don't buy. If enough people agree with you, they will start adding stuff, start reducing price, or go out of business.

Quoted from RGR:

"No one needs a pinball machine" is like saying no one need chocolate, soft drinks, movies... No one needs 1st world luxurys... Ok so lets charge more for the stuff that no one NEEDS... good argument.

Wha? Where did I say (or even imply) they *should* charge more for it? What I am saying (again), is no one is getting taken advantage of. See above.

Quoted from RGR:

I think its a worthy argument for those that are willing to spend 8,10,15K on a pinball machine. The guy in the video might have an agenda but thats another thread and whether he does or not doesnt change the facts surrounding the manufacturer of Sterns games. Anyone who mentions that agenda, pretty much agrees with the points made in this video..

I agree with his points that Spike replacement boards should be cheaper, and I also agree they should be standardized. Everything else was kind of nitpicky imo.

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

ACDC, wow if you think the pro has a complex playfield... My god. But yeah those you mentioned are BS compared to those built in the 90s like that of MM (Lyman), MB (Gomex), STTNG (SR) and the list goes on and on. When you have companies reproducing games from 20 years ago.... doesnt this tell you something is wrong with games today???

Again, I say wha? Where did I say ACDC had a complex playfield? You said it had "bugger all" on it. I think for a Pro level machine it is decent. As for reproducing games from 20 years ago, the only thing it tells me that the those games were awesome, not that all modern games have something wrong with them.

Quoted from RGR:

Your obviously implying that Stern can charge what they want for products that people dont need.

You are well skilled at jumping to conclusions about stuff I post. I am not implying anything. I am saying outright that crying about being taken advantage of when you are a grown-up buying a toy is freaking hilarious. As for your point. of course they can charge whatever they want for their products. You understand how a free market economy works right? Only the market and the success/failure of their company will determine if they were right or wrong.

Quoted from RGR:

Well not is ghosting results in cracked playfields. I guess your the type of guy that could buy a new car and not worry about the odd scratch... I mean its going to happen in the long run right? And you dont take the lockdown bar off often enough to worry about that change, but then your not an operator. You are fine with code updates over and over and over but then you dont have to keep changing your strategy for playing games because you dont play in comps....

Have had several NIB Sterns, had clearcoat and paint chipping off of my X-Men playfield. Stern replaced it. No other problems. Do the problems exist for others? Yes. Shit happens with any manufacturer, the important thing is if they stand behind it, and in my experience, Stern does.

As for code updates, are you seriously complaining that there are too many code updates, so you have to re-learn strategies? lol, you have to be the first person ever to complain on Pinside that Stern has too many code updates. As for what I do, or do not do with my pins and my hobby, none of your business. You obviously don't like Stern pins, or what Stern does, so don't support the company. It isn't rocket science.

#141 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Apples and oranges in all aspects. Just the weight alone tell you there is more "stuff" in these machines than a stern pro. I don't know about Houdini, but I do know about JJP pins, I've had all three titles on route and they are built like tanks. They are all jammed packed with toys and features, and all versions have the same game play and until DI came along all had identical populated playfields. Difference with DI Is lighted ramps, a city scape plastic in the back and a different theater sign maybe, but all have the same ball paths, ramps and physics, just a little different astetics. You cannot place these pins in the same category as a stern pro, the only comparable stern would be an LE or maybe a premium.

I wasn't the one trying to put them in the same category. That was kind of my point. RGR was talking about Stern and their charging 15-20k for NIB, and I was pointing out that was the exception, rather than the norm. That is all.

I 100% agree. JJP pins weigh more and have more stuff. I am impressed with how they are put together, and how much is jammed in there. When they come out with a theme that I can get behind I look forward to purchasing one. I do have to say though, for all of their stuff, I haven't found them all that much more fun to play than some Stern Pros and in some cases, not fun at all. Thought WOZ was a snore fest, and Dialed In is fun, but just doesn't give me that "one more game" feel. To each their own.

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

This is the only time in the history of pinball that games from the past have been reproduced... Gezz I wonder why they didnt do it in the 90s... hmmmm

Could it be because pinball was dying a long slow death in the 90s and no one was interested in buying NIB games based on 80s titles? Pinball is hot right now, AFM and MM are classics with high demand. If they re-make every single 90s title and no one buys any more modern titles you might be onto something, but you just aren't making any sense.

Quoted from RGR:

The penny hasnt dropped has it?? "Stern replaced it"..... No other problems until it has to be replaced again, which is possible since they had to replace it in the first place.....

You got me. A NIB pin had problems. Stern is the first and only manufacturer to have had this happen. Good catch.

Quoted from RGR:

Sure problems always exist, its whether the company involved is creating enough short cuts for these problems to increase... If you cant see that well heck the lights on but no ones home.

The rate of incident increasing is yet to be proven. The internet wasn't around in the 90s with everyone freaking out everytime they saw a sliver of ghosting. Could it be increasing, and because of shortcuts? Sure, I suppose. But if they fix it for me I don't really care.

Quoted from RGR:

Yeah I am and others have to. Just hope that the company doesnt go under and your left with a half arsed game like WOF. Waiting for 2-3-4 years for a game to be fully coded might be fine for you, but that doesnt mean that others have to put up with it. Maybe you might consider how stressed the coders etc are under??? Employ more staff maybe? Nah that would cost money.

Then don't put up with it. Again, just don't buy. Good luck.

Quoted from RGR:

Honestly I really dont care and not sure why you bought this point up.

Dude, *you* brought it up by talking about whether I "participate in comps" or whether I route my machines. Are you drunk?

Quoted from RGR:

Another cool story. Not sure why you are mentioning the obvious..

Because you keep going on and on like Stern impregnated your dog or something. I am suggesting it for your mental health. You're welcome.

#154 6 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

"Dont support the company" errr did I ever? I am trying to support the community of players, operators and collectors by bringing to like the fact that they are being bent over by Stern and their cost cutting techniques.
    Honestly you are free to do what you want, but dont say other people are talking shit just because you dont have a problem with paying more for this, or having to get playfields replaced...

At least you admit your complete bias which is more than most of the anti-Stern crowd. I can appreciate that. Good luck in your crusade to save the community. And thanks for once again putting more words in my mouth. I never once said I didn't have a problem with price increases (not buying an SW Premium because of it, I think AFMr LE is a better value), nor did I like having to get my playfield replaced. However shit happens (see chipping reports on Dialed In, on AFMr, playfield wear on WOZ iirc) so taking a stance like it is a Stern only problem is disingenuous at best, but I guess it serves your agenda.

As for people getting bent over, I would just recommend that anyone buying a NIB pin, or any multi-thousand dollar purchase put on their big boy pants and make up their own minds. Before you buy any NIB, whether from Stern, JJP, CGC, understand it may have problems out of the box and be prepared to deal with them. The good thing is, from all reports, all manufacturers are pretty good at responding to issues.

#223 6 years ago

I don't care about the lockdown bar. Yes, it takes 5 seconds longer to latch/unlatch, but it holds the lockdown bar tight. Now if they ever switched Prem/LE to have those stupid support pegs instead of the rails I'd throw a full on hissy fit. But in a manly way.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-you-buy-a-new-stern-pinball-machine?tu=paul_8788 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.